Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 3 1 ... LastLast
    Forum Sage

Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

DayZ is out!! Kind of..

The wildly popular Arma 2 mod-cum-zombie-MMO DayZ has released its standalone version, albeit in alpha form, on Steam Early Access today.

Priced at £19.99 / $29.99, this enhanced version of DayZ was developed by the original mod's creator, Dean Hall, in collaboration with Arma 2's developer Bohemia. Like the original mod, DayZ standalone's most appealing attributes are what it
    doesn't have. The goal is simply to survive as long as you can in a world of few resources, shambling undead, and not always scrupulous other players. "There are no superficial tips, waypoints, built in tutorials or help given to players," Bohemia explained. "Every decision matters, there are no save games, no extra lives, every mistake can be lethal."

While DayZ standalone is available, the developer has warned prospective buyers that if they're on the fence, they should probably wait until the game is complete as this alpha won't be very indicative of the finished product. "Early Access is your chance to experience DayZ as it evolves throughout its development process," Bohemia cautioned. "Be aware that our Early Access offer is a representation of our core pillars, and the framework we have created around them. It is a work in progress and therefore contains a variety of bugs. We strongly advise you not to buy and play the game at this stage unless you clearly understand what Early Access means and are interested in participating in the ongoing development cycle."

Earlier this month
    Hall didn't mince words by saying "Buying early will be a recipe for disappointment."

Still, it might prove interesting for those eager to follow the development process. Check out how DayZ looks in its alpha stage in its Early Access launch trailer below.

Source

YES!

Me and my friends have been waiting for this moment for a while. I know there are a few of you on this forum who don't like it or find it boring but the truth it the DayZ mod gave me some of my best gaming moments of any game. Ever.

I've copied this post I done somewhere else but it sums up why I loved the game so much...

Not too sure if i'll buy the early access unless a few of my friends buy it but I'm really looking forward to this game. Theres nothing else like it and once you get your teeth sunk into it and have a group of friends to play with, nothing comes close.

Veteran

PSN ID
    Cybertox
    Features Of the early access version:

- Poor Performance
    - Major fps drops
    - Black screen
    - dll missing error
    - Download issues
    - 3 weapons
    - 2 supply items
    - 1 vehicle
    - Two character models
    - Max resolution 1920x1080
    - very high blur
    - 30 polygon models
    - Low resolution weapon textures
    - Get kicked out of sessions every 3 minutes
    - Bugged and not passable tutorial
    - Windowed menu
    - Flickering and intense stuttering
    - Updates every 6 months with minor changes
    - Release date March 2016 unless abandoned prior to the estimated release date

Minimum System Requirements:

CPU: i7k 4.0 ghz or higher clock-rate
    GPU: Ati radeon HD 8990 or at least 6 Gbs of VRam
    RAM: 64 Gbs running at least at 2400 mhz
    Disk-space: 54 Gbs

Friendship is Carrots
    I've been waiting so, so long for this. I didn't want to buy the Arma games just to play this when (originally) the standalone was only half a year way. I'll be sure to pick it up once it goes on sale; 30$ is still too much for me. I'm happy they finally cleaned up the wonky movement animations for the zombies.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]
    - [PSN] - [Programmers' Corner]

Forum Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Cybertox View Post

- Poor Performance
    - Major fps drops
    - Black screen
    - dll missing error
    - Download issues
    - 3 weapons
    - 2 supply items
    - 1 vehicle
    - Two character models
    - very high blur
    - 30 polygon models
    - Windowed menu

"Be aware that our Early Access offer is a representation of our core pillars, and the framework we have created around them. It is a work in progress and therefore contains a variety of bugs. We strongly advise you not to buy and play the game at this stage unless you clearly understand what Early Access means and are interested in participating in the ongoing development cycle."

Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    I've been waiting so, so long for this. I didn't want to buy the Arma games just to play this when (originally) the standalone was only half a year way. I'll be sure to pick it up once it goes on sale; 30$ is still too much for me. I'm happy they finally cleaned up the wonky movement animations for the zombies.
    You should pick up Amra 2 and just play the MOD, Rapture. There are some amazing DayZ mods out there already. I do feel as if it is a little too late but I'm still going to get it. Such a unique experience. I have so many stories of the game, the one i put in the spoiler is just one of hundreds.

One time after a successful looting night we were heading back to base. We found and fixed a helicopter so my friend and 3 others were in that whilst i drew the short straw and had to drive the Jeep back. Near the base my friend was flying the helicopter above me just so I wasn't alone and risked getting ambushed. Whilst driving up the hill i hear a loud bang, i look back and my friend crashed into a huge tree killing everyone on board

Another time which was awesome was up at the North East airfield we were having a shoot out with another group of players. It was our 4 vs their 2 but they were using sniper rifles and had set up position in a control tower so had a much better chance at killing us. the battle lasted for about an hour of intermittent fire but whilst 2 of us stayed behind to keep agro on ourselves 2 of our friends flanked them and got up the back of the control tower and at that stage we captured them, held them hostage for a bit and then stole all of their equipment but left them with a pistol, a few mags and some food/drink to survive with. Better than killing them.

I thrived of player killing and enjoyed being a bandit but it was also fun to group up and help people. Really depends which life I was living and what items I had.
    Last edited by BBK..; 12-17-2013 at 10:37.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybertox View Post

- Poor Performance
    - Major fps drops
    - Black screen
    - dll missing error
    - Download issues
    - 3 weapons
    - 2 supply items
    - 1 vehicle
    - Two character models
    - very high blur
    - 30 polygon models
    - Windowed menu

How long has it been in "development"? It seems like a while with only that to show for it?? GOodness.

Forum Sage

It's taking a long time to get out of Alpha but they've changed so much of the Arma2 engine for it that i expect they've probably broke a lot more than they've anticipated and with each change there will be even more things behind the scenes that they break.

If anyone hasn't tried it yet i strongly suggest buying Arma and the expansion and giving any of the current DayZ mods a go. You might not like it at first but once you've found your first gun and bag and are on the way to looting your way to the big/rare items you'll love it.

Then once you die, be it at the hands of the zombies or another player you'll see how brutally cold the world of Chernarus can be.

Live stream as of 12pm GMT
    Last edited by BBK..; 12-17-2013 at 13:18.

Forum Sage

It's sold 172,500 copies in 24 hours! Crazy. Not bad for a Alpha of a hardcore, niche game.
    Going to get this myself after payday
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...le-in-12-hours

edit: Included the proper requirements.
    System Requirements

• Minimum:

• Processor: Intel Dual-Core 2.4 GHz or AMD Dual-Core Athlon 2.5 GHz
      • Memory: 2 GB RAM
      • Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT or AMD Radeon HD 3830 or Intel HD Graphics 4000 with 512 MB VRAM
      • DirectX: Version 9.0c
      • Hard Drive: 10 GB available space
      • Sound Card: DirectX®-compatible

• Recommended:

• Processor: Intel Core i5-2300 or AMD Phenom II X4 940 or better
      • Memory: 4 GB RAM
      • Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 or AMD Radeon HD 7750 with 1 GB VRAM or better
      • DirectX: Version 9.0c
      • Hard Drive: 14 GB available space
      • Sound Card: DirectX®-compatible

Last edited by BBK..; 12-18-2013 at 10:04.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    I'm seriously condering getting this. Anyone on here, trustworthy enough, to partner up with?? lol. Really though, anyone here playin'?

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    MjW-
    Items VitaiPhone BlackGran Turismo 5PS3 FatTommy Vercetti3DS
    Nice to see so much support for this game. Will grab it as well sometime in the future for some bootcamp zombieing.

On the move with Tapatalk
    ~Corporate Media Propaganda - Welcome to your Daily Matrix~

Forum Sage

I decided to purchase it. I've played the mod for well over 100 hours so I know even if this is rough around the edges it is still the best survival game out there

I would, F34R though I believe the chances of us playing at a similar time would be slim

Gonna try and get some serious hours In over the next few days. 2 of my friends who I used to have DayZ binges on the mod with now have it purchased. Yay.

Superior Member
    I put a lot of time into the mod some time ago, but the hacking eventually become too much of a problem. Standalone has been fantastic so far. Protip: Do not eat rotten fruit. Just don't do it!
    i7 4770 | 2x EVGA GTX 780 ti SC ACX SLI | 32GB
    i7 3770 | EVGA SC GTX 580 3GB​ | 16GB

Superior Member
    Food poisoning finally passed. It took an hour or so and a lot of water, but I made it through, though my blood level must be pretty low as I'm basically playing in black and white. Anyone want to transfuse me?

Also, I killed somebody for the first time in a very long time. I forgot how intense this game is. Totally got my heart rate up. As I was coming into Berezino in the dark I spotted their silhouette running across the crest of a hill just South of me. I was able to make my way in behind him. He stopped at an intersection. It took me a minute or two to come a decision about what to do, and I felt sick about killing him, but I really needed to get to the Berezino hospital and it just seemed too risky to have him running around. He was pretty geared up, with an armed assault rifle.

I fired 3 shots from about 50ft from behind him. I was positioned behind a nearby house. He wasn't facing me, and I believe my first shot was a head shot, so he was likely dead before he hit the ground.

DayZ is definitely the most intense "game" I've ever played.

Forum Sage

Awesome work Sneezy. It's funny that in the world of DayZ you even face a morality issue each time you kill another player. I find I often hesitate whenever I had someone in the scope of my DMR as they often had no clue I was about to end their life.

That's why I often switched it up between playing as a bandit and hero. Playing as a bandit is definitely more fun but is nice to occasionally save a random player

Friendship is Carrots
    I always love reading/watching DayZ stories (really any experience from a good game, if it's dressed up well). The great thing now is that I can add to that. I got on just now to see that my cousin gifted me the Dayz Standalone client. I was going to play Max Payne 3 today, but I got something even better now! I've been waiting a year and a half for this.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]

Forum Sage

Great news Rapture! Welcome to the world of Chernarus. You'll die a lot to begin with seeing as the game gives you no help what so ever but stick with it and you'll love it!

Friendship is Carrots
    A common quote I've seen for new players to the game is: "You either die a hero, or live long enough to become a villain." I imagine that's well true for many in this game.

However I've seen several videos of DayZ, so I have a general idea of things already. From the start, I'm going to try and mind my own business, and sneak around and dodge other players when possible. I'll only engage in battle for self-defense or if I have a random burst of "$#@! this guy in particular!" syndrome. Those will be rare.

Are the any key differences from the mod to this? Or is it basically just the mod, but more polished up and stable?
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    I started two nights ago, and I suck badly at this game. I don't really know how to do anything other than walk. I'm learning the basics.

Forum Sage

I believe it is very similar to the Vanilla mod, so there won't be any base building like the Epoch mod.

Just go careful, creed around the houses and stay clear of anyone. Though as it has been shown by Sneezy, you might not appear to be a threat to anyone but if they see you in the same area as they want to go, they might just kill you to be safe.

Identify yourself as a friendly over global chat and you might be OK. I'm going to dive in to the stand alone for my first life shortly.

Steam ID's gentlemen? I may have you on there already

The Dawkness!
    PSN ID
    ElNaxi
    Will the game get more expensive as development goes along? I might get it now if it does.

My name isn't a misspelled Nazi,god****.

Forum Sage

I believe it will go up in price. only to £30 though.

Friendship is Carrots
    Quote Originally Posted by BBK.. View Post
    My Steam ID is already in my sig. Anyone feel free to add me (though I have most of the PC gamers here already). I'm up for playing most games, and always open for stimulating conversations.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]

Superior Member
    I believe it is very similar to the Vanilla mod, so there won't be any base building like the Epoch mod.

Just go careful, creed around the houses and stay clear of anyone. Though as it has been shown by Sneezy, you might not appear to be a threat to anyone but if they see you in the same area as they want to go, they might just kill you to be safe.

Identify yourself as a friendly over global chat and you might be OK. I'm going to dive in to the stand alone for my first life shortly.

Just to be clear, the person I shot was running down the road with his assault rifle armed, in the dark. I still feel really bad for killing him, but my health was so low that he could have punched me in the leg and I would have died. He was going where I desperately needed to go, and wasn't going out of his way to look friendly at all.

I was running around unarmed until, lucky for me, I spotted him first, and pulled out my assault rifle.
    Last edited by sneezymarble; 12-23-2013 at 15:29.

Forum Sage

Oh I wasn't insinuating. I've been in the position where I've been killed and killed for the same reason. Though once when someone killed me near the hospital in Elektro I got speaking to him on Global chat and he actually picked me up and returned me to my body

Superior Member
    Oh I wasn't insinuating. I've been in the position where I've been killed and killed for the same reason. Though once when someone killed me near the hospital in Elektro I got speaking to him on Global chat and he actually picked me up and returned me to my body
    Haha, yeah, I've had that happen too (somebody kill me, then help me out). What I love about DayZ is that it one of the few games that impute killing with moral significant, and it makes the experience so much more memorable and interesting.

The very first time I ever killed anyone (in the the mod a year or so ago) was one of the most intense gaming experiences I've ever had. I had just crept into the Elektro supermarket through the front doors and was about to make my way to the back area when somebody came through the small doorway from the back area to the front of the store. We were both in that little corridor made with the display case (you know what I'm talking about).

We were both probably new, and both had hatchets armed. We both stood there for a few seconds, nobody saying anything because I think we were both very startled. Then we ran at each other at the same time and started hacking away. I survived and he didn't, and I was actually shaking IRL. I bandaged myself up and ran off into the woods and had to stop playing for the night. It was f*cking intense.

DayZ is mostly a really boring experience, punctuated by what become some of the most intense and memorable gaming experiences of your life.

Friendship is Carrots
    I have my own story to share now.

I was playing with my cousin, both of us getting accustomed to the clunky-as-$#@! controls and gameplay mechanics. We explored some and dodged other players and zombies. At one point we were separated, and suddenly at the docks two guys came up to my cousin and began roleplaying a robbery. My cousin backed away and got on his knees. Excellent timing present, I came around the warehouse charging at them, both of the robbers looking away. Seconds before I came upon one with my axe, the other circled my cousin and saw me coming. He yelled into his mic, "$#@!! Behind you! Behind you!" But I was already hitting the other, and he began bleeding before frantically running off. I took some swings at the second robber, but he jumped off the docks and swam away.

The two robbers foolishly dispersed and became unorganized (something I noted to my cousin that we should never do in stressful circumstances). I dropped a bat for my cousin and looked around. We found the first guy bleeding and crawling around, and we swiftly put an end to him. The second guy came out onto the beach, and we dropped upon him and fought. He didn't make it. I tore up his shirt and bandaged myself. Right afterwards a third guy came upon the scene and sneakily tried looting the first body. I stood guard and backed him off as my cousin looted the bodies for anything good. That kind of cooperative dynamic came very naturally in the game, no words needed. I like that.

I can only imagine how it looked to the two robbers and the guy who stumbled across the mess. My cousin said he was so happy when he saw me charging around the corner with my axe raised. haha

Later on we approached a village/small town later, and one guy popped off warning shots. Through openings in the fence I saw it was a group of 3-4 people, probably friends scavenging for supplies. It was an interesting scenario I didn't expect in multiplayer with strangers. It was nice to know that not every player was out for complete bloodlust. Me and my cousin opted to be a bit more friendly when possible because of that encounter, and we met several players who were open with working with us.

Unfortunately we kept dying from being incapable of finding food. We searched everywhere (entire villages), but it made no difference. Bit of a bummer honestly. :/

Quote Originally Posted by sneezymarble View Post
    DayZ is mostly a really boring experience, punctuated by what become some of the most intense and memorable gaming experiences of your life.
    This is extremely accurate, going by my few hours playing. There was a point where we traveled inland for supplies, but we didn't see a player for over an hour. It was dreadfully boring. I don't know why the zombie spawn rate is so low. The world feels too empty right now, and the ugly engine performance and controls doesn't help the experience any. It needs some serious polish and content to fill on those boring periods.
    Last edited by Nerevar; 12-24-2013 at 05:01.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]

Thread Information