Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast
    Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    I have my own story to share now.

I was playing with my cousin, both of us getting accustomed to the clunky-as-$#@! controls and gameplay mechanics. We explored some and dodged other players and zombies. At one point we were separated, and suddenly at the docks two guys came up to my cousin and began roleplaying a robbery. My cousin backed away and got on his knees. Excellent timing present, I came around the warehouse charging at them, both of the robbers looking away. Seconds before I came upon one with my axe, the other circled my cousin and saw me coming. He yelled into his mic, "$#@!! Behind you! Behind you!" But I was already hitting the other, and he began bleeding before frantically running off. I took some swings at the second robber, but he jumped off the docks and swam away.

The two robbers foolishly dispersed and became unorganized (something I noted to my cousin that we should never do in stressful circumstances). I dropped a bat for my cousin and looked around. We found the first guy bleeding and crawling around, and we swiftly put an end to him. The second guy came out onto the beach, and we dropped upon him and fought. He didn't make it. I tore up his shirt and bandaged myself. Right afterwards a third guy came upon the scene and sneakily tried looting the first body. I stood guard and backed him off as my cousin looted the bodies for anything good. That kind of cooperative dynamic came very naturally in the game, no words needed. I like that.

I can only imagine how it looked to the two robbers and the guy who stumbled across the mess. My cousin said he was so happy when he saw me charging around the corner with my axe raised. haha

Later on we approached a village/small town later, and one guy popped off warning shots. Through openings in the fence I saw it was a group of 3-4 people, probably friends scavenging for supplies. It was an interesting scenario I didn't expect in multiplayer with strangers. It was nice to know that not every player was out for complete bloodlust. Me and my cousin opted to be a bit more friendly when possible because of that encounter, and we met several players who were open with working with us.

Unfortunately we kept dying from being incapable of finding food. We searched everywhere (entire villages), but it made no difference. Bit of a bummer honestly. :/

This is extremely accurate, going by my few hours playing. There was a point where we traveled inland for supplies, but we didn't see a player for over an hour. It was dreadfully boring. I don't know why the zombie spawn rate is so low. The world feels too empty right now, and the ugly engine performance and controls doesn't help the experience any. It needs some serious polish and content to fill on those boring periods.

Haha, great story. Last night in a night time server I made my way from Berezino, up the coast to the shipwreck. It's really, really cool. They definitely need to add more unique locations like that to the world. After looting the wreck I headed West to the North East Airstrip.

Just East of the airstrip there's a hill with a radio tower and small hut. I was making my way up the hill and just about to the hut when a guy ran out of the hut with a scoped rifle and full gear. Neither of us had our weapons armed and we began strafing around each other. As soon as I saw him reach for his weapon I bolted down the hill toward some trees, zig zagging along the way. I was trying to arm my assault rifle, but for some reason it wouldn't arm. Rifle shots were landing pretty close to me. I decided, with how far I'd come, it wasn't worth the encounter, and I kept running into the trees and stayed in the tree line as I moved West of the airstrip.

I watched the airstrip and the tree line opposite me for 10 minutes or so and when I was satisfied it was clear I moved in and looted the airstrip buildings, then proceeded West again. No killing this time, but this was honestly a much more intense experience. I wasn't expecting anyone to be that far North on a server with only 7 or 8 people at night. I'm sure we were both totally surprised at the encounter.

I'm thinking about giving this life up, actually. My blood has been so low since surviving food poisoning a few days ago. I'm tired of seeing only in black and white.
    i7 4770 | 2x EVGA GTX 780 ti SC ACX SLI | 32GB
    i7 3770 | EVGA SC GTX 580 3GB​ | 16GB

Friendship is Carrots
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    It could be worse. I fell a meter and broke my legs. I'm now crawling around in the forest, kilometers away from anyone who can put me out of my misery. I honestly tried crawling for a nearby village, but at this rate it would take at least an hour to get there, and there's no guarantee I'd find any zombies or players to help me. And, of course, there's no suicide/respawn button.

I really like fundamental workings of the survival gameplay, but it's stuff like this that makes me not want to play.
    Last edited by Nerevar; 12-24-2013 at 18:06.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]
    - [PSN] - [Programmers' Corner]

Superior Member
    It could be worse. I fell a meter and broke my legs. I'm now crawling around in the forest, kilometers away from anyone who can put me out of my misery. I honestly tried crawling for a nearby village, but at this rate it would take at least an hour to get there, and there's no guarantee I'd find any zombies or players to help me. And, of course, there's no suicide/respawn button.

I'm really like fundamental workings of the survival gameplay, but it's stuff like this that makes me not want to play.
    Do you want some help? Any idea where you are?

Friendship is Carrots
    I appreciate it, but I left the game running in the background. He's about to starve to death.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Why don't you eat the people you kill?

Superior Member
    I appreciate it, but I left the game running in the background. He's about to starve to death.
    Once you go unconscious, you'll be able to choose respawn from the menu.

The Dawkness!
    PSN ID
    ElNaxi
    I bought the game, but I don't know when I'll start playing.

My name isn't a misspelled Nazi,god****.

The Dawkness!
    PSN ID
    ElNaxi
    Screw that, started playing now. It's definitely something I'll get into. First time I spawned near a zombie. 2nd time I survived for a while, heard far away shots and hid in the house, but got killed there. Now third time someone attacked me and we both bled out. So what are the tips for getting started properly? I'd like to have some gear, and survive a bit longer.

Friendship is Carrots
    I'm still a noob myself, but here's what I've learned so far:

1) Better loot is more inland. 90% of the time the coastline is picked clean of loot.
    2)
    Inland is naturally safer, due to less people being out there. But that also makes it more boring.
    3) Shout out you're friendly if being confronted. Whether you actually are doesn't matter, as there's a chance the other guy won't open fire at your statement.
    4) There seems to be a lot of new players to the game, so right now people tend to be more friendly than hostile. A useful advantage if you're a killer.
    5) If possible always keep rags on hand to stop bleeding. Know that canteens and water bottles can be filled with water.
    6) The light from flashlights is derpy, and will pass through walls. So standing inside a building at night with a lit light is very dangerous. Flashlights can be seen from very, very far away at night.
    7) You can use knives and axes to open canned food, but it reduces the quality of the tool, and will spill some of the food. Can openers are the best option of course.
    8 ) Punching zombies doesn't seem to kill them. I knocked one down at least 7 times before giving up and running away.
    9) Apparently, one should never, ever, ever eat rotten food. Even when starving.

Not the best tips, but it's all I got.
    Last edited by Nerevar; 12-25-2013 at 04:07.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]

10. Likes Naxi likes this post
    Forum Sage
    Yeah, going north is always your best bet for finding better loot. Especially as you make your way through Stary Sobor and eventually the North West and East Airfields (NWAF/NEAF)

The Dawkness!
    PSN ID
    ElNaxi
    OK, I've been sticking to the coastline. I'll go inland the next time. In my 3 playthroughs I haven't found any well, flask or bottle. I've had to drink pond water.

Forum Sage
    There's often a small barracks around Balota, down in the South West that often has decent weapon/equipment spawns. Assuming it's the same as the mod.

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Naxi View Post
    Screw that, started playing now. It's definitely something I'll get into. First time I spawned near a zombie. 2nd time I survived for a while, heard far away shots and hid in the house, but got killed there. Now third time someone attacked me and we both bled out. So what are the tips for getting started properly? I'd like to have some gear, and survive a bit longer.
    I'll describe my play style and offer a few pointers. First thing I do when I spawn in with a new life is crouch/prone, go into 3rd person, and take a few minutes to simply observe my area. A major component of survival in this "game" is environmental awareness and working to give yourself an information advantage. Take it slow, and use the zoom feature (hold right mouse button) to constantly scan into the distance.

After you've scanned a bit and are reasonably satisfied that there are no obvious threats around you, then move toward the closest buildings. Always at least crouch run when you get 50 or so meters from building areas, and if you have the patience for it, crouch walk in and around buildings.

Now that you're moving, your first priority is to make/find rags. Without them, you'll die from your first injury. You can make rags from t-shirts and other articles of clothing by double right clicking on the item and using the option to tear the article into rags.

Your next priorities should be to find something to use as a weapon, and then more storage space (cargo pants, jacket, backpack, etc). Obviously, if you find anything to drink, absolutely grab it. Don't worry about loading up on food. Grab 1 or 2 food items that you can easily consume (sardines, fruit, etc) if you happen on it, but you can go without food longer than fluids, so don't grab every food item you find. Remember, DO NOT EAT ROTTEN FOOD!

With at least a crude weapon and rags, that's probably a good start to begin heading inland. You should be able to make it to a few inland towns even without any fluids or food.

As you move about, try to avoid open fields. If you can, try to move along high ground, as you'll give yourself better opportunities to observe your surroundings.

Once you've got a weapon to protect you from zombie encounters, a backpack, 2+ fluid containers, and a few items of food, you're pretty well home free to explore deeper inland. You'll be able to focus more on exploration than mere survival.

When attempting to loot high density areas or areas with desirable loot, try to find a high ground location before moving in. Crouch or prone in/around cover and just watch the area for a few minutes. If you're on a populated server, you should assume other people are there or are watching the area. If you wait a while, you'll see somebody try to run in Call of Duty style, and he's your ticket to other "watchers" giving up their location if they attack him. With that information you can decide whether it's worth it to move in.

Good luck.

15. Likes Naxi likes this post
    Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BBK.. View Post
    There's often a small barracks around Balota, down in the South West that often has decent weapon/equipment spawns. Assuming it's the same as the mod.
    I've discovered that if you're serious about survival, getting off the coast is key. I stay long enough to grab what I consider essentials and then I lone wolf it to the North until I'm pretty heavily geared up. After that I sometimes make my way back to the coast to spice things up by either playing bandit or helping new spawns. The military area near Balota has become the new PvP hotspot on most of the servers I've played on lately.

The Dawkness!
    PSN ID
    ElNaxi
    Thanks, a lot of useful tips. I hope I can be that patient haha. Maybe I will once my character is actually more valuable.

Supreme Veteran
    Make sure your computer will run it before buying. This guy complains that Shader model 2 isnt supported. LAst card I had that was only SM2 was X850XT from 2005 and his is even older than that.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/221100...6742782272445/

Forum Sage
    Just had to murder my friend. He broke his legs and we didn't have any morphine so i put a bullet in his head then started hacking away at his corpse with a fire axe for good measure

Forum Sage
    Sold a million copies in under a month. Not bad for an Alpha at least a year from beta.

Supreme Veteran
    so thats pocketed them about 30million to continue developing.

Forum Sage
    Yep. I bet that's more than they thought they'd get! Gonna' start up another life today. Shall be playing as a bandit, as per usual.
    Tempted to buy Rust as well, another survival game that seems to be more brutal than DayZ

Veteran

PSN ID
    Cybertox
    Quote Originally Posted by BBK.. View Post
    Yep. I bet that's more than they thought they'd get! Gonna' start up another life today. Shall be playing as a bandit, as per usual.
    Tempted to buy Rust as well, another survival game that seems to be more brutal than DayZ
    Rust seems to be more realistic and there are no zombies. In my opinion its also graphically more appealing.

Forum Sage
    Zombies are half of the fun of DayZ, though the standalone is lacking in the zombies currently. Even though that was the cause for the demise of my last character.

i actually prefer the look of DayZ to Rust, I just like the idea of some of the things you can do in rust and wouldn't mind trying it. Though if DayZ SA implements some of the ideas from the Mods of the Mod, such as epoch, then DayZ will continue to be the best survival game there is.

Really want vehicles and helicopter crash sites to be put into the stand alone. Used to love the feeling of going up to a crash site and finding night vision goggles and a ghillie suit. Used to love going out player hunting with my Ghillie suit, Camo SVD and NVGs. Though sometimes i'd switch the Camo SVD for DMR if I wanted one hit kills

Master Sage
    Items User name style

This is what makes Day Z great.

Forum Sage
    I've gone back to the mod for now. Epoch seems to be better than the SA currently.

Supreme Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by HellsJester View Post

This is what makes Day Z great.
    So forcing young children to take their clothes off is a good thing.
    Last edited by keefy; 01-25-2014 at 15:27.

Thread Information