Superior Member

PSN ID
    martin_blank

Share Is Better Than XOne Game DVR & Game DVR Is Better Than Share

Anyone with regular access to both an XOne and a PS4 notice that on the video capture angle one console is better at what the other is supposed to be doing, and the other is better at the other is trying to do? XOne's Game DVR seems designed to be far better suited to creating long, effects-laden -- on the console or on your computer's editing software -- trailer- and YouTuber-style game videos but Upload Studio struggles to process 5 minutes of capture, the (required) app itself is slow and sometimes crashes, neither rendering nor uploading is transparent -- it takes time and you see it take time. But all the recently played game video is there and available to view, it looks great and by saving to SkyDrive as a very high quality MP4, it's extremely versatile. Yet no matter it's lofty reach, the performance issues make Game DVR a pain trying to push out big chunks of video and it would be far better at quickly grabbing the last 30 seconds of video and uploading that barely edited, unadulterated, somewhere like Facebook. But you can't do that with Game DVR.

On the other hand, the PS4's Share feature runs like a rocket, acts like 15 minutes of video is really nothing, loads it into the editor in a snap, quickly editing video is far more intuitive, renders it and uploads it to Facebook in a snap without bothering to make you watch any sort of process But it's flakey, often large segments of recent video are missing, and the only thing you can do with that video right now if you're lucky enough it's got what you want captured is upload a version stepped all over by compression to Facebook.

This sort of jibes with how I feel about both consoles right now -- granting, still very early days. I like the grand ideas in Xbox One better. But I greatly prefer the brass-tack performance realities of PS4. Let's face it, complaints about saved game corruption and server issues aside, the PS4 Battlefield 4 campaign, you pretty got to pick your eyeballs up off the floor when you start playing that. THIS is a console game? No way. Xbox One games look great but they do not knock me on my ass.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Couldn't really say it any better. Spot on. It all boils down to the first sentence in the last paragraph. It'll get better. However, with the Xbox One, I can capture with my own gear at an extremely high quality, and share it with whatever service I deem fit.

Superior Member

PSN ID
    martin_blank
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Couldn't really say it any better. Spot on. It all boils down to the first sentence in the last paragraph. It'll get better. However, with the Xbox One, I can capture with my own gear at an extremely high quality, and share it with whatever service I deem fit.
    My biggest complaint is that I don't have two XOnes. The XOne is set up in the boys' room, the PS4 in the master bedroom. The kids' room is the only place where the floor space is reasonable for Kinect-centric games. The living room we have to totally rearrange for Kinect. The master bedroom, we can't rearrange for Kinect. Just not enough space with our bedroom furniture.

I'm sure the boys' biggest complaint is that we don't have two PS4s. So we trade off, moving the XOne and the PS4 back and forth between rooms. It's really not so much a hassle. Five minutes, and we don't do it every day or even every week. The PS4, there's nothing to recalibrate. And I just leave the Kinect calibrated for their room. It still recognizes me in the master bedroom, and again, no floor space to do anything else. I have to connect the XOne audio via optical in the boys' room and the video straight to a spare HDMI input on the TV because I put a budget AV receiver in there and the HDMI inputs are already all in use -- and they're all in the back of the receiver, anyway, making for a console swap hassle. That's not an issue except, being a budget receiver, it only supports Dolby and the XOne only supports 2-channel PCM and DTS over optical. But full Dolby surround over optical is coming in an XOne update, so that'll work out.

Ideally we'd have two of both new consoles. We have two PS3s and X360s. Of course those were acquired over years. Dropping $1,800 up front, not even including games, I just couldn't justify that. Better yet, I don't want my wife to go to prison. For killing me. She's right, though: sometimes enough is enough; we don't need a fully outfitted gaming suite in every room in the house. I barely have time to play these days, anyway.

Thread Information