Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

FIFA 14 for dummies

So I just got Fifa 14 in and I suck at this game horribly because I don't know the rules of soccer at all. I don't even know what positions do what.

Basically I want some tips and explanations on what I need to do to get somewhat better at this game. I think my biggest problem is thati try to rush all my scoring opportunities and get much too aggressive on defense.

Help please!

Currently Playing: ​ Skyrim
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Beyond: Two Souls

PSU Editor
    PSN ID
    NeoShockWave
    Items Title StyleLiquid Ocelotid SoftwareKonamiUser name styleNaughty DogBig BossTidusPlayStationManchester UnitedAuron
    I'll write a big response tomorrow, although you'd be better off looking at Youtube or gettin' someone to do a broadcast on PS4! There's a lot to write about, haha!

Follow me on Twitter @Adam_PSU for all things PlayStation!

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Lol. I know. Right nowi started a career and in playing a striker. Centre forward I think lol. This stuff is another language to me. Scored my first goal in my second match only playing on semi pro though. I'm assuming those yellow lines are telling you to get into position?

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    You want to use the L2, L1, and R1 button. And only the R2 (sprint) when needed as in chasing down an attacker or when you're breaking away).

L2 paces the ball, and L1 + R1 (not sure if you need to press both but I do) does so but slower. This allows you time and control of what to do with the ball and gives your AI teammates time to make runs.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    I keep getting the ball taken away from me with ease. Could be because I'm not using L1 and R1 at all. The controls confused the **** out of me.

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Hardest rule to learn is the ff side rule, other than that its pretty much straightforward.
    This is a local shop for local people you have no business here!

Nosce te ipsum
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Here is a good place to start:

http://www.youtube.com/user/HDMeti

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    What determines offsides? Still really confused on this and where my player should be when makinga move for goal. I createda striker for my character but apparently I'm always out of position because the only opportunities I get to try and score is on break aways.

Veteran
    Items LiverpoolUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by PS4freak View Post
    What determines offsides? Still really confused on this and where my player should be when makinga move for goal. I createda striker for my character but apparently I'm always out of position because the only opportunities I get to try and score is on break aways.
    The player receiving the ball cannot be behind the last defensive player at the moment the ball leaves the foot/head/whatever of the passer.

Power Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shibby View Post
    The player receiving the ball cannot be behind the last defensive player at the moment the ball leaves the foot/head/whatever of the passer.
    Not quite but almost.

The attacking player receiving the ball cannot be between the second to last oponent and the goal. The last being the goal keeper.
    ITs not possible to be offside in your own half.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...nt/4993924.stm
    http://www.offside-ref.co.uk/laws/11...rule/detailed/

Here The Brazilians beat the offside trap, its almost 20 years ago but still relevent since the rule is the same.

Last edited by keefy; 12-19-2013 at 08:25.

11. Likes PS4freak wishes they had posted this first.
    Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    That helps a bit I tried playing on amateur but the Ai is terrible and I'm not really learning much. I been trying to watch what each player on the field is doing to learn but it's hard doing that and playing the ball.

PSU Editor
    PSN ID
    NeoShockWave
    Items Title StyleLiquid Ocelotid SoftwareKonamiUser name styleNaughty DogBig BossTidusPlayStationManchester UnitedAuron
    Some quick tips:

When passing the ball in close vicinity to opponents get in the habit of holding L2 or L1 when your player's receiving it. It's far tight knit control.

Give-and-go's a stable of the series; hold L1 when passing to someone, then the player who originally passed it will begin making a run and then you press whatever you like ( triangle for through ball/hold L1 and triangle for a high through ball) to try and play him on goal.

When shooting holding R2 makes it more of a powerful drive and holding R1 will make it a side-footed placement; to lob (chipping it over the 'keeper) it's again L1 with circle.

Be aware of your players' movements: your forward line, if you're in an attacking mindset will always try and make runs in behind the defense, look out for that - press triangle for the grounded through ball or as said, L1 and triangle for the higher one over the top.

Don't bother with slide tackling until you're comfortable with the game, otherwise they're useless. They're all about reading the game and timing well. Best bet is to just jostle beside them or face them on which way they'll turn (usually goalward) and conservative tackle with circle.

If an opponent's making a run with the ball in your final third you can hold R1 which'll make one of your AI teammates automatically close down whoever has the ball, while they're doing that you can hold L2 and set up your defense better with your controlled player.

Any Q's just ask!

14. Likes PS4freak wishes they had posted this first.
    Nosce te ipsum
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    Not quite but almost.

The attacking player receiving the ball cannot be between the second to last oponent and the goal. The last being the goal keeper.
    ITs not possible to be offside in your own half.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...nt/4993924.stm
    http://www.offside-ref.co.uk/laws/11...rule/detailed/

Here The Brazilians beat the offside trap, its almost 20 years ago but still relevent since the rule is the same.

Ya know.. I didn't even have to see the title to that youtube video and I knew it was Bebetos goal vs the Dutch in the 94' WC! That was such a great game. You just don't know how many times I've watched EVERY game from that WC. I STUDIED those games. Back then, I had to use a VCR to record every game. I've watched them so many times, the VHS tapes are degraded so badly lol. Those were some good days. Thanks for bringing those memories back. In that game particularly... the Brazilians showed some freakin class. The first goal from Romario was something special. Man.. I'm going to get those tapes from storage lol.

Power Member
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Ya know.. I didn't even have to see the title to that youtube video and I knew it was Bebetos goal vs the Dutch in the 94' WC! That was such a great game. You just don't know how many times I've watched EVERY game from that WC. I STUDIED those games. Back then, I had to use a VCR to record every game. I've watched them so many times, the VHS tapes are degraded so badly lol. Those were some good days. Thanks for bringing those memories back. In that game particularly... the Brazilians showed some freakin class. The first goal from Romario was something special. Man.. I'm going to get those tapes from storage lol.
    The baby they are celebrating after he scored is now a pro footballer.

http://www.sambafoot.com/en/news/421...he_future.html
    Last edited by keefy; 12-19-2013 at 12:33.

Nosce te ipsum
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    NICE!! He looks close to what his dad did back then too! lol He's five months older than Raheem Sterling!

It's really amazing, these things. Look. Bebeto was wearing number 7, son was born on the 7th day of the 7th month. When that goal was scored, you see the "rock the baby" celebration. Wow.

Here's a nice throwback video:

I realize we've went off topic, so... i'll leave it here lol.

PSU Editor
    PSN ID
    NeoShockWave
    When you feel confident enough to go online 4-2-3-1's usually the best formation to use. You've got the width and creativity of the three behind the striker, plus the two anchors protecting the back four for the inevitable counterattack play.

Just got to Div 1 online myself - only 529 people in it on PS4!

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Abdou023
    It's not an rpg or any rgular type of game, if you are not into football why did you get this game ?!

i recommnd you start watching some major european league matchs to get a full understand of th sport first, if you found yourself get bored quickly then i doubt you will ever like the game.
    Last edited by Abdou23; 12-19-2013 at 16:21.

PSN: Abdou023
    Currently Playing: GTA 5

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Dude-in-the-Room
    I had to return FIFA....it was just to frustrating.

My defenders would leave ppl wide open for several seconds at a time while the Computer's sides defenders were on me like flies on ****. Then the ball would be passed to the wrong person numerous times.

AI would win 50/50 balls constantly. When I would press the button to switch players...instead of it switching to a player that could actually prevent the fast break...it would switch to a player behind the AI player with the ball.

It was just way too inconsistent and I was getting mad constantly. My girlfriend didn't like upset and I was aggravated constantly....I had to return it.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Quote Originally Posted by Shockwave View Post
    When you feel confident enough to go online 4-2-3-1's usually the best formation to use. You've got the width and creativity of the three behind the striker, plus the two anchors protecting the back four for the inevitable counterattack play.

Just got to Div 1 online myself - only 529 people in it on PS4!
    Few quick questions. Btw Thanks for the others tips. Very helpful.

What are my primary roles as a left striker? Do I hang back at mid field when on defense and what the hell do I do to get scoring opportunities when attack. I'm always out of place.

What is the proper time to set up witha cross kick? I've gotten luck with a few headers off them.

So what all goes into shooting? This is the most frustrating aspect to me. Usually the only timei score goals on amateur no less is by finesse kicks very close to the goal.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim

What are my primary roles as a left striker? Do I hang back at mid field when on defense and what the hell do I do to get scoring opportunities when attack. I'm always out of place.

What is the proper time to set up witha cross kick? I've gotten luck with a few headers off them.

So what all goes into shooting? This is the most frustrating aspect to me. Usually the only timei score goals on amateur no less is by finesse kicks very close to the goal.
    If you're a striker then you don't need to hang in midfield - or rather, won't (or shouldn't) get penalized by the game for not doing so.

PSU Editor
    PSN ID
    NeoShockWave

If you're playing a simple 4-4-2 with two up top their role really depends on who it is. Players like Rooney have propensity to drop back into midfield and collect the ball, then spray it out to the wings before charging in and getting a head on it. Other strikers are more oafish, they'll flick the ball on from a long ball after roughing up the centre-half, or take it out of the air to set up the other striker, who would usually be a more nimble, agile-type of striker. If both of your strikers are similar then it's a matter whose positioning is better for a goal attempt; you can play give-and-gos, close quarter passes on or whatever - it depends on how the opposition is set up!

Again, for cross timing it depends how who you've got up top and what type of defenders they're up against. The best way, usually, is against the run of play - when the opposition are caught in possession or whatever and your striker's are charging into the box; you'd want to get it in quick from the wings in that case so the defenders haven't got enough time to set up their defense. For corners try and aim for just outside the six-yard box and with just under two thirds power - usually works well.

Shooting's just one of those things you just need to practice, a lot! Long shots are unpredictable but worth the punt. The more you play the more you'll be aware of power measurement and 'keeper's susceptibility from certain areas. Best way is power up the shot, then aim less than a second after - helps if you're fairly straight onto the goal, rather than coming from angles. A favourite of mine is using a winger, say on the left, who's right-footed; charge down the wing, cut in just outside the box, go along the line of the box and then finesse with a bit power. Top corner a lot of times.

24. Likes PS4freak wishes they had posted this first.
    Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    @Shockwave- Thanks man! You beena big help. Rep coming your way.

@admart- I ask because when on defense my rating goes down ifi get too far away from the midfield when playing as my striker only and not playing as the whole team. I only geta good rating ofi score multiple goals I'm assuming this is because I'm out of position a lot.

26. Likes Shockwave wishes they had posted this first.
    Nosce te ipsum
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    PS4freak, when you wanna do some online vs, let me know.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Probably not going to happen lol. I'm ashamed at my skill level in this game.

Nosce te ipsum
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Probably not going to happen lol. I'm ashamed at my skill level in this game.
    It'll still be fun, and your skill level probably is a lot higher than you think. I'm not that good at it if that helps.

Thread Information