Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 3
    Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Linconan View Post
    It's just a Developers double dipping, make some cash on previously released games and get your name on the system.
    It's probably "thee" reason we don't have Backwards Compatibility anymore, because the know they can make money on re-releasing HD ports etc..

I'd be shocked if i saw anything worthwhile to be justifying a Next Gen port.
    Good game, nothing more. Not worth double dipping for imo.
    This port isnt designed for those who have played it before. Its for people like me who passed on the game for whatever reason and want to play a better versoin.

If i played it already hell no I wouldn't buy it

Forum Elder
    Also for hard core fans of the series like me who played it and want to play it again with better graphics.

Since the original TR on ps1

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I may just pick this up actually. I never bought it on PS3 and since not much worth a damn is coming to PS4 between now and March, this may serve as a nice stop gap during the wait.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    I get to pick up my copy at Gamestop tomorrow

Racing Game Fanatic
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    Items Title StyleVitaPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethal_NFS View Post
    I get to pick up my copy at Gamestop tomorrow
    Awesome, let us know what it's like spruced up
    PSN ID: Duffman19864

Twitter ID: Duffman1986

My New Youtube Gaming Channel: Duffman Gaming

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffman1986 View Post
    Awesome, let us know what it's like spruced up
    Will do! Not sure why Gamestop is letting me get it tomorrow when it has a street date of the 28th? But I got a text on my phone saying I can pick it up tomorrow.

overstepping the mark
    PSN ID
    SHAFT_N_BALLS
    Items User name style
    There is someone on Twitch playing it now! $#@!ers!

Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Ok... I was wrong. Happy?

Veteran
    Items Manchester United
    Quote Originally Posted by -Shafty- View Post
    There is someone on Twitch playing it now! $#@!ers!
    I hope they choke on their $#@!in diet bagels...motherfuckers...

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    thanatos144
    Quote Originally Posted by jj03 View Post
    I hope they choke on their $#@!in diet bagels...motherfuckers...
    Please tell us how you really feel lol

tapatalk post

Superior Member

PSN ID
    martin_blank
    Will do! Not sure why Gamestop is letting me get it tomorrow when it has a street date of the 28th? But I got a text on my phone saying I can pick it up tomorrow.
    A Gamestop broke street date and it got picked up in the games press because the guy was playing on Twitch (as somebody else mentioned the live stream). The way that usually goes for any major chain that sells games is corporate finds out, they shut down all early sales and beat hell out of the store that broke street date. OR they just let all their stores break street date and then not infrequently all the other major chains that sell games follow suit, if they are already holding stock they can put out and sell. Some large chains like Target and Walmart won't anymore because they these days they have no-sale lockouts in their POS systems that are already programmed in and though I'm sure there's someone in authority on site can bypass that and actually sell anything they want it's generally a hassle to do for every transaction, so they don't put the stock out on shelves and therefore they mind street date. Even though they'd break it if it weren't such a nuisance to break it. Games are hardly their core business, anyway, so it's not worth the bother.

Amazon usually doesn't break street date no matter what brick-and-mortar does. If they break street date it's them on their own, not reacting to local and chain retailers.

I don't think it's much of a deal in the this case. It's a game that's been out in the States since early March of last with DLC that's already been out some time. It's not giving anything away. It's not "unfair to" nor does it "spoil it for" gamers who don't get an early copy because they could've have already played it on PC, Xbox 360 or PS3. For almost a year now.

Otherwise I don't get the racket over the US$60 price, either. It's the trend that games that aren't necessarily awarded GOTY by anyone but have substantial critical and/or commercial successes -- TR was the former first and eventually got headed toward the latter -- get GOTY editions including all DLC to-date. The original game is selling for the $30 or $40 by then. The GOTY releases at US$60. That's with nothing but the usual patches, no sweeping technical and graphical improvements. In the case of TR, all DLC to-date is ALL the DLC. There's not that I know of any more planned so it's not you're expected to spend even more after you buy this to get the complete game experience. And it has after all been retooled for current gen. GOTY editions sell at full AAA retail price all the time with the original editions of the games sitting on the shelf right by them, brand new, for a half or two-thirds the price. Why is everyone freaked out TR Definitive is selling at full retail? It's just a GOTY with added eye candy.

That said, I'm not in on TR Definitive at release price. I was almost in, but Amazon ran out of pre-order PS4 editions and I don't want this game for my Xbox One. I decided, hmm, why am I paying US$60 for a game I've already played. I loved the game but I'm not falling over to play it again already. Obviously I was wanting to buy it because it filled the post-launch void for current generation title releases. Although The Lego Movie Videogame is out less than two weeks after TR Definitive street date. And Thief is out less than a month later. So there you see why they think they can sell it for full retail. They're leveraging the usual post-launch famine of new current generation title releases. I almost fell for it. If Amazon hadn't been out of PS4 pre-order allocations, I would have.

I'll pick it up for PS4 when it drops to 40 bucks American.

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    Damn. I hope the aussie street date breaks.. doubt it. 31st comoonnn

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    thanatos144
    Quote Originally Posted by sanfordmay View Post
    A Gamestop broke street date and it got picked up in the games press because the guy was playing on Twitch (as somebody else mentioned the live stream). The way that usually goes for any major chain that sells games is corporate finds out, they shut down all early sales and beat hell out of the store that broke street date. OR they just let all their stores break street date and then not infrequently all the other major chains that sell games follow suit, if they are already holding stock they can put out and sell. Some large chains like Target and Walmart won't anymore because they these days they have no-sale lockouts in their POS systems that are already programmed in and though I'm sure there's someone in authority on site can bypass that and actually sell anything they want it's generally a hassle to do for every transaction, so they don't put the stock out on shelves and therefore they mind street date. Even though they'd break it if it weren't such a nuisance to break it. Games are hardly their core business, anyway, so it's not worth the bother.

Amazon usually doesn't break street date no matter what brick-and-mortar does. If they break street date it's them on their own, not reacting to local and chain retailers.

I don't think it's much of a deal in the this case. It's a game that's been out in the States since early March of last with DLC that's already been out some time. It's not giving anything away. It's not "unfair to" nor does it "spoil it for" gamers who don't get an early copy because they could've have already played it on PC, Xbox 360 or PS3. For almost a year now.

Otherwise I don't get the racket over the US$60 price, either. It's the trend that games that aren't necessarily awarded GOTY by anyone but have substantial critical and/or commercial successes -- TR was the former first and eventually got headed toward the latter -- get GOTY editions including all DLC to-date. The original game is selling for the $30 or $40 by then. The GOTY releases at US$60. That's with nothing but the usual patches, no sweeping technical and graphical improvements. In the case of TR, all DLC to-date is ALL the DLC. There's not that I know of any more planned so it's not you're expected to spend even more after you buy this to get the complete game experience. And it has after all been retooled for current gen. GOTY editions sell at full AAA retail price all the time with the original editions of the games sitting on the shelf right by them, brand new, for a half or two-thirds the price. Why is everyone freaked out TR Definitive is selling at full retail? It's just a GOTY with added eye candy.

That said, I'm not in on TR Definitive at release price. I was almost in, but Amazon ran out of pre-order PS4 editions and I don't want this game for my Xbox One. I decided, hmm, why am I paying US$60 for a game I've already played. I loved the game but I'm not falling over to play it again already. Obviously I was wanting to buy it because it filled the post-launch void for current generation title releases. Although The Lego Movie Videogame is out less than two weeks after TR Definitive street date. And Thief is out less than a month later. So there you see why they think they can sell it for full retail. They're leveraging the usual post-launch famine of new current generation title releases. I almost fell for it. If Amazon hadn't been out of PS4 pre-order allocations, I would have.

I'll pick it up for PS4 when it drops to 40 bucks American.
    If I was the distributors of the game GameStop would be getting sued for a obscene amount of money for breach of contract....Fact is if a store cant be trusted to follow a contract then why should any company allow them to sell their games?

Veteran
    Items Manchester United
    Quote Originally Posted by thanatos144 View Post
    Please tell us how you really feel lol

tapatalk post
    Lol. Of course, was only messing...

Superior Member

PSN ID
    martin_blank
    Quote Originally Posted by victorijapoosp View Post
    Gotta love you ghost.

On topic : I tried to play TR for old time's sake, i got bored and just gave up, then sold it. Apart from visual upgrades are there any other gameplay tweaks to make it better?
    That's probably a good point: There are some nice action/combat set pieces in there but it's really a heavy narrative game and also of interest as backstory for people long familiar with the TR franchise. Ergo, once you've learned the backstory and experienced the narrative, what's to do? Improve your archery skills? With glorious current-gen visuals? How much does anyone want to pay to do that? I wasn't planning to replay TR for PS3 -- I'm keeping it because I got a Steelbook launch edition -- so why would I replay it on PS4? I never played any of the DLC, either. Never wanted to play any of the DLC. Ultimately there are too many last gen games I wanted to play and still can and too many current gen games coming out.

I think ultimately this definitive edition is being made for two reasons, to leverage the post-launch game gap, and for people who never played it last gen, and there are actually a whole lot of people who didn't play it last gen who would like to play it.

Superior Member

PSN ID
    martin_blank
    Quote Originally Posted by thanatos144 View Post
    If I was the distributors of the game GameStop would be getting sued for a obscene amount of money for breach of contract....Fact is if a store cant be trusted to follow a contract then why should any company allow them to sell their games?
    Publishers are very selective about pursuing breaches of retail embargo agreements. For one, you have to get a court to back you up. Various nations have various federal-level statutes about restriction of trade and though a contract can essentially make rules in its narrow scope it cannot make new trade law or contravene existing law, especially federal law. That's in the States but it's that way in most of the West, too. Bear in mind you can only sue for real damages -- what you can establish you lost by them selling it early -- and punitive damages -- what the court will zing the defendant with for violating the contract. What are real damages? The offending retailer bought the game from the publisher and they paid the bill. The only real damages are relationships with other retailers. Put a number on that. Try and get a jury to put a number on that. Likewise, punitive. How much money should we take away to hurt a company for selling a few days early what is widely perceived, meaning the jury pool sees it this way, as a software toy?

So they're not going to crack down too hard on a store that sells a lot of their games, especially for the occasional street date break. In fact I'd be interested to see a citation for a case involved with breaking a contractual retail embargo on a video game in the last decade. Even merely a complaining motion filed and later abandoned. I bet there aren't any, and if so, very few. Like a couple. What would be the point of suing them and/or cutting them off future titles? Cutting them off, you make nothing, suing them you make something, maybe, but nothing like what you make if they're happily selling your games for another five years. Street dates aren't really for publishers, anyway. They've been spun that way. THE BIG MIDNIGHT LAUNCH EXTRAVAGANZA! But really they're for retailers. So one retailer that doesn't receive a game until the day before the release date can't complain the retailer that got the game a week earlier stole all their regular games business just selling what they had available to sell.

More likely there are punitive terms rolled into the contract. You pay us percentage on original invoice in penalty... You lose this advantageous wholesale pricing... You don't get premium preorder editions... I doubt publishers enforce those, either. Microsoft enforces street dates on Halo games because it's a Halo mystique thing. It bugs Halo fans if other Halo fans get Halo games before they can. And it screws up expensive launch blowouts. Nobody cares if somebody else gets what amounts to a glorified GOTY edition of Tomb Raider a few days early.

Anyway, turns out it was a soft date after all, or became a soft date, and the game is available for sale today anywhere that has stock. Maybe it was a hard date at one point but once S-E found out that people aren't exactly falling all over themselves to pay full price for a prettier version of a game that's not even a year old -- yeah, there's DLC, but how well did they DLC do when it was up for sale a la carte? -- they went ahead and dropped the date and said sell it. Retail psychology. "It's out Tuesday the 28th. I'll wait till then and maybe google around and see how much better it really looks and then I guess I'll decide then if I want to buy it once it's out. Oh, wait, look! It's right there for sale! Ooh, I can't help myself." Instead of a planned and considered purchase it becomes an impulse purchase just because it's Saturday and you've got the whole weekend to play it and seems like a windfall because you didn't even think it would be out until the next week.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Who cares????? Some kid accidentally sold a game that released a year ago already. All this wall of text because the games street date was broken.... Like this is the first time this has happened.......

And is there even any confirmation of a street date actually being broken?? When I worked for Gamestop, we would often get emails saying the street date has been lifted, and we can sell the games when they arrive in our store. Sometimes only the pre-orders would get the game early as well.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3
    Last edited by Lethal; 01-25-2014 at 14:30.

Forum Elder
    The voice controls in this game are freaking great. Very well done, you learn them as you progress through the game, and there seems to be a lot of them.
    Also this game is beautiful but the 60fps re ally sets it off. Glad I purchased it again.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Superior Member

PSN ID
    martin_blank
    And is there even any confirmation of a street date actually being broken?? When I worked for Gamestop, we would often get emails saying the street date has been lifted, and we can sell the games when they arrive in our store. Sometimes only the pre-orders would get the game early as well.
    That's the whole point of explaining it in detail. In general gamers have this notion of "street dates" and "breaking street dates" as very specific things, when contractually they are not. Often a "street date" is merely a release date and there's no contractual obligation to retail embargo whatsoever. I worked for a publisher and we'd set a release date to serve whatever marketing purpose and build back the developmental schedule and go GM and RTM and then ship it and there was never any contractual retail embargo, only a release date, but your corporate people would tell you it was a "street date" -- which may have served THEIR marketing purpose -- and then later, for whatever reasons of their own, they'd tell you that you could go ahead and sell it when you got it. Though we never once told, let alone compelled contractual obligations with, retailer corporate any such thing that their stores couldn't sell them when they got them. Hell a lot of times we wished they'd go ahead and sell the damn things already.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Quote Originally Posted by sanfordmay View Post
    That's the whole point of explaining it in detail. In general gamers have this notion of "street dates" and "breaking street dates" as very specific things, when contractually they are not. Often a "street date" is merely a release date and there's no contractual obligation to retail embargo whatsoever. I worked for a publisher and we'd set a release date to serve whatever marketing purpose and build back the developmental schedule and go GM and RTM and then ship it and there was never any contractual retail embargo, only a release date, but your corporate people would tell you it was a "street date" -- which may have served THEIR marketing purpose -- and then later, for whatever reasons of their own, they'd tell you that you could go ahead and sell it when you got it. Though we never once told, let alone compelled contractual obligations with, retailer corporate any such thing that their stores couldn't sell them when they got them. Hell a lot of times we wished they'd go ahead and sell the damn things already.
    If a game gets a "street date" then there is in fact an obligation by all retailers to release the game on said date. Street dates are set by the publishers, not the business selling the game. I managed a Gamestop for 2 years, I know exactly how these street dates work. When the street date has been broken, the company has to wait for an email confirming they can sell the game early. Or if the publishers have decided to lift the date.

Superior Member

PSN ID
    martin_blank
    If a game gets a "street date" then there is in fact an obligation by all retailers to release the game on said date. Street dates are set by the publishers, not the business selling the game. I managed a Gamestop for 2 years, I know exactly how these street dates work. When the street date has been broken, the company has to wait for an email confirming they can sell the game early. Or if the publishers have decided to lift the date.
    No, what I'm saying is what you were told at the store management level at Gamestop was "street date" but it may have had no contractual obligation attached or even the mere expectation the game would not be sold until that date. It was merely a release date; that is, a target date for the publisher to have the game available from all retailers that will be selling it. Selling it at release, anyway. Some retailers don't sell some games on release day.

Anyway, the point is that "street date" is used interchangeably to mean "release day" and "day retail embargo is lifted." It doesn't imply any particular contractual obligation. "Retail embargo," though it doesn't have a specific definition in law, does imply a contractual obligation. People often assume all "street dates" are founded upon "retail embargoes," but they are not. Sometimes a street date or release date is just a day the publisher announces to let consumers know when at the very latest the game should be available from their preferred retailer of release-day games. It might be available earlier, everywhere or some shops, with no contractual prohibition on selling it when it is received.

Corporate is not going to explain the intricacies of particular contractual obligations, or lack thereof, to shop managers for every game. If for whatever reason, contractual or otherwise, they don't want it sold until a particular date they're just going to tell the manager the game has a "street date" and only on that date can they sell it.

Depending on the particular state and any state labor protections, Gamestop often expects retail shop managers to work four or more hours solo without a planned opportunity to use the bathroom. You think they're going to be straight with you about their agreements with publishers? No.

Thread Information