Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Cropped TV shows

I juts finished watching Overhaulin' which was horribly cropped top and bottom, the bottom so the tops of their heads were cut off, I instantly knew it was cropped because of the black borders on the sides, they were far too narrow to be of proper 4:3 ratio. IT did my eyes in, it looks like its zoomed in and I want to pull away from the screen much like playing a FPS shooter game on PC with a low field of view.

I have also noticed that if the Channel is the HD version and the TV show was filmed in 4:3 for example Columbo then the aspect ratio is correct and there is no stretching, but if I switch to the SD channel then there is stretching making the actors look fat.

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    I get that a lot too with my box. But there should be a "picture aspect" button on your remote. It'll switch between 4:3 and 16:9. On SD, you wanna watch it at 4:3 with the black bars on the sides. Some SD channels will actually have a 16:9 broadcast that looks decent, but it's rare. Stretch 1080i is the absolute worst.

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    I tried the control when I first saw it but tis no use, the networks cropped it top and bottom.

How it should look

How it does look
    Notice the logo in the botom right.

Last edited by keefy; 12-21-2013 at 01:42.

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    Ahh yep, I know that. Pure stretching. And you say that's broadcast like that? How is that even allowed? I would assume this would be illegal to broadcast it that way. I'm sorry you have to put up with that bull$#@!.

Thread Information