Latest PSU headlines:

Results 1 to 25 of 25
  1. #1
    Apprentice
    dragon1989's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Morocco
    PSN ID
    DevilSummonerZ
    Posts
    275
    Rep Power
    0
    Points
    737 (214 Banked)
    Items PlayStation

    PS3 Yellow Light Question

    I turned yesterday my PS3, and after 10 min of playing my PS3 turned off and The red light started blinking. ( yes, my PS3 is well aired) after 5 min i turned it on back and gave me the green light, but nothing appeared on tv, and after 1 min yellow light then blinking red light.
    any ideas

    My PSN ID: DevilSummonerZ

  2. #2
    Elite Sage
    Sparc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Behind you!
    PSN ID
    TidalPhoenix
    Posts
    11,231
    Rep Power
    111
    Points
    17,047 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I'm afraid you've experienced the YLOD. You could look to get it fixed but that often just reflows the solder and isn't something that I personally was comfortable with doing (I doubt it's a long term solution).

    Other than that then it's a replacement PS3.

    I know the feeling btw, mine YLOD'd on me two weeks ago (picking up a new PS3 this Saturday)


  3. #3
    Apprentice
    dragon1989's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Morocco
    PSN ID
    DevilSummonerZ
    Posts
    275
    Rep Power
    0
    Points
    737 (214 Banked)
    Items PlayStation
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparc View Post
    I'm afraid you've experienced the YLOD. You could look to get it fixed but that often just reflows the solder and isn't something that I personally was comfortable with doing (I doubt it's a long term solution).

    Other than that then it's a replacement PS3.

    I know the feeling btw, mine YLOD'd on me two weeks ago (picking up a new PS3 this Saturday)
    What type of PS3 should i get, the slim or the ultra slim....because the ps3 that gave me the yellow light was the fat i had it for 6 years.

    My PSN ID: DevilSummonerZ

  4. #4
    Elite Sage
    Sparc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Behind you!
    PSN ID
    TidalPhoenix
    Posts
    11,231
    Rep Power
    111
    Points
    17,047 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon1989 View Post
    What type of PS3 should i get, the slim or the ultra slim....because the ps3 that gave me the yellow light was the fat i had it for 6 years.
    You're in the same boat as me. I'm picking up a 12GB Slim this weekend and I've bought the HDD caddy from Amazon. I'll be transferring my 1TB drive from what was my 60GB phat boy to the new PS3 (but I'll have to format it as apparently you can swap HDD's between consoles).


  5. #5
    Apprentice
    dragon1989's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Morocco
    PSN ID
    DevilSummonerZ
    Posts
    275
    Rep Power
    0
    Points
    737 (214 Banked)
    Items PlayStation
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparc View Post
    You're in the same boat as me. I'm picking up a 12GB Slim this weekend and I've bought the HDD caddy from Amazon. I'll be transferring my 1TB drive from what was my 60GB phat boy to the new PS3 (but I'll have to format it as apparently you can swap HDD's between consoles).
    What about the games and save data i have saved in the hard drive

    My PSN ID: DevilSummonerZ

  6. #6
    Elite Sage
    Sparc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Behind you!
    PSN ID
    TidalPhoenix
    Posts
    11,231
    Rep Power
    111
    Points
    17,047 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon1989 View Post
    What about the games and save data i have saved in the hard drive
    You can download the games again from PSN (or just reinstall them from the original disks). If you are a PS+ member then your games should hopefully be saved to the cloud. If not then...


  7. #7
    Apprentice
    dragon1989's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Morocco
    PSN ID
    DevilSummonerZ
    Posts
    275
    Rep Power
    0
    Points
    737 (214 Banked)
    Items PlayStation
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparc View Post
    You can download the games again from PSN (or just reinstall them from the original disks). If you are a PS+ member then your games should hopefully be saved to the cloud. If not then...
    Yeah, i got PS+..and the games i used to play are saved to the cloud. But u heard that PS3 slim is much better then ultra slim is that true!

    My PSN ID: DevilSummonerZ

  8. #8
    Extreme Poster
    Sufi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    31
    Posts
    27,879
    Rep Power
    179
    Points
    73,503 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    i always like to get the latest tech, "most" of the time. i know people have said some things about the super slim, if you get issues with it, i'd think you would be covered within the first year. i always find buying older tech more risky, even though like i said, people have complained about the super slim, there are times these complaints are out of context.

    i also wouldn't buy it used either, unless you find something that seems like a decent deal and you have reason to believe that the console is in mint condition.

  9. Likes dragon1989 wishes they had posted this first.
  10. #9
    Apprentice
    dragon1989's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Morocco
    PSN ID
    DevilSummonerZ
    Posts
    275
    Rep Power
    0
    Points
    737 (214 Banked)
    Items PlayStation
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    i always like to get the latest tech, "most" of the time. i know people have said some things about the super slim, if you get issues with it, i'd think you would be covered within the first year. i always find buying older tech more risky, even though like i said, people have complained about the super slim, there are times these complaints are out of context.

    i also wouldn't buy it used either, unless you find something that seems like a decent deal and you have reason to believe that the console is in mint condition.
    Thx, and i will buy it new ofcours so it should be covered for the first year. I asked cuz i saw alot of ppl saying the ultra slim isn't that good at all, but thx for clearing that for me

    My PSN ID: DevilSummonerZ

  11. #10
    Super Elite
    chrisw26308's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Age
    42
    Posts
    2,383
    Rep Power
    69
    Points
    10,384 (0 Banked)
    I've got the ss, no problems at all. It's just built a bit cheaper is all. It has a top sliding door instead of slot load, just little things like that.



    Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  12. Likes dragon1989 wishes they had posted this first.
  13. #11
    Forum Guru
    -Dj-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    PSN ID
    djpenny1
    Age
    24
    Posts
    3,514
    Rep Power
    67
    Points
    71,241 (302,302 Banked)
    i don't have the YOLD but i have a OS prolbem just gives me red light of death

    2 ways of fixing my prolbem is by sony or a repair shop or i can get lucky and my ps3 will finisih a rebuliding of the OS


    in my eyes ps3 are pointless in getting now just save little bit more and get a ps4
    Last edited by -Dj-; 12-20-2013 at 14:49.

  14. #12
    Apprentice
    dragon1989's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Morocco
    PSN ID
    DevilSummonerZ
    Posts
    275
    Rep Power
    0
    Points
    737 (214 Banked)
    Items PlayStation
    Quote Originally Posted by -Dj- View Post
    i don't have the YOLD but i have a OS prolbem just gives me red light of death

    2 ways of fixing my prolbem is by sony or a repair shop or i can get lucky and my ps3 will finisih a rebuliding of the OS


    in my eyes ps3 are pointless in getting now just save little bit more and get a ps4
    But i still have a bunch of games that i wanna play, in the ps3....and the PS4 will get it in this summer

    My PSN ID: DevilSummonerZ

  15. #13
    Elite Sage
    Sparc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Behind you!
    PSN ID
    TidalPhoenix
    Posts
    11,231
    Rep Power
    111
    Points
    17,047 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by -Dj- View Post
    i don't have the YOLD but i have a OS prolbem just gives me red light of death

    2 ways of fixing my prolbem is by sony or a repair shop or i can get lucky and my ps3 will finisih a rebuliding of the OS


    in my eyes ps3 are pointless in getting now just save little bit more and get a ps4
    I've already got the PS4 - doesn't mean I'm ready to give up on my PS3 though...GT6 for example!


  16. Likes Sufi wishes they had posted this first.
  17. #14
    Forum Guru
    -Dj-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    PSN ID
    djpenny1
    Age
    24
    Posts
    3,514
    Rep Power
    67
    Points
    71,241 (302,302 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon1989 View Post
    But i still have a bunch of games that i wanna play, in the ps3....and the PS4 will get it in this summer
    when gaikai comes you can play ps3 games on ps4

  18. #15
    Apprentice
    dragon1989's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Morocco
    PSN ID
    DevilSummonerZ
    Posts
    275
    Rep Power
    0
    Points
    737 (214 Banked)
    Items PlayStation
    Quote Originally Posted by -Dj- View Post
    when gaikai comes you can play ps3 games on ps4
    But for Europe we will have to wait 1 extra year to get it 2015 , so PS3 will keep me busy waiting for DarkSouls 2, still wanna play skyrim, gta5 and so on

    My PSN ID: DevilSummonerZ

  19. #16
    Elite Sage
    Sparc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Behind you!
    PSN ID
    TidalPhoenix
    Posts
    11,231
    Rep Power
    111
    Points
    17,047 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by -Dj- View Post
    when gaikai comes you can play ps3 games on ps4
    That's a big WHEN. Don't expect that any time in soon and even longer for us in Europe


  20. #17
    Forum Guru
    -Dj-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    PSN ID
    djpenny1
    Age
    24
    Posts
    3,514
    Rep Power
    67
    Points
    71,241 (302,302 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparc View Post
    That's a big WHEN. Don't expect that any time in soon and even longer for us in Europe
    you will get way before canada gets it

  21. #18
    Elite Sage
    Sparc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Behind you!
    PSN ID
    TidalPhoenix
    Posts
    11,231
    Rep Power
    111
    Points
    17,047 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by -Dj- View Post
    you will get way before canada gets it
    You think so? I'd expect Canada to get it at the same time as the US. Hopefully they roll it out across the whole of North America all at the same time


  22. #19
    Forum Guru
    -Dj-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    PSN ID
    djpenny1
    Age
    24
    Posts
    3,514
    Rep Power
    67
    Points
    71,241 (302,302 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparc View Post
    You think so? I'd expect Canada to get it at the same time as the US. Hopefully they roll it out across the whole of North America all at the same time
    sony's hirstoy on stuff like this yes i think so

  23. #20
    Apprentice
    dragon1989's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Morocco
    PSN ID
    DevilSummonerZ
    Posts
    275
    Rep Power
    0
    Points
    737 (214 Banked)
    Items PlayStation
    I called a specialist about the Yellow light, and he told me for PS3 Fat even if he fixed it for me the same problem will appear after 1 month or 2. So going to buy a new one the ultra slim and hope for the best

    My PSN ID: DevilSummonerZ

  24. #21
    Elite Sage
    Sparc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Behind you!
    PSN ID
    TidalPhoenix
    Posts
    11,231
    Rep Power
    111
    Points
    17,047 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon1989 View Post
    I called a specialist about the Yellow light, and he told me for PS3 Fat even if he fixed it for me the same problem will appear after 1 month or 2. So going to buy a new one the ultra slim and hope for the best
    yeah that's what I thought. I'm doing the 12 GB. Cheap as chips.


  25. #22
    Extreme Poster
    Sufi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    31
    Posts
    27,879
    Rep Power
    179
    Points
    73,503 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    i don't care when gaikai comes out. i'm not going to buy digital unless i "have" to. even then i'd rather just skip it.

    so the ps3 is going to be with me until it does. i'm not joking. i might get a PS4 soon but that PS3 is very valuable to me. i can play games on it dirt cheap and not have to be stuck with them.

    also having two consoles is better sometimes than having one. it's my netflix/hulu player for example.

  26. #23
    Apprentice
    dragon1989's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Morocco
    PSN ID
    DevilSummonerZ
    Posts
    275
    Rep Power
    0
    Points
    737 (214 Banked)
    Items PlayStation
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    i don't care when gaikai comes out. i'm not going to buy digital unless i "have" to. even then i'd rather just skip it.

    so the ps3 is going to be with me until it does. i'm not joking. i might get a PS4 soon but that PS3 is very valuable to me. i can play games on it dirt cheap and not have to be stuck with them.

    also having two consoles is better sometimes than having one. it's my netflix/hulu player for example.
    Yeah, i'm going to get a new PS3 ultra slim version.

    My PSN ID: DevilSummonerZ

  27. #24
    Dedicated Member
    Ragnorok64's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,100
    Rep Power
    54
    Points
    1,627 (0 Banked)
    I've had phat, slim, and super slim versions. I'd suggest the Slim version. My phat yellow lighted on me 3 times. The slim is fine.

    The super slim works fine but its aesthetic design and build quality leave much to be desired. Also there was one oddity I experienced with it. On one of my HDTVs the super slim caused an odd static flicker through HDMI. I tried multiple HDMI ports and multiple super slim PS3s and the problem persisted. The issue didn't happen with the phat or the slim. Now more often than not there will be no problem in most setups but what that tells me is that the super slim handles its HDMI output differently in some way shape or form.

    Sent from my LG-VM696 using Tapatalk 2

  28. #25
    Superior Member
    John Willaford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Owings Mills, MD
    Age
    39
    Posts
    945
    Rep Power
    16
    Points
    353,664 (0 Banked)
    Here's another question about Yellow Light.
    Sleeping very soundly on a Saturday morning I was dreaming
    I was Al Capone
    There's a rumour going round, gotta clear outta town
    I'm smelling like a dry fish bone
    Here come the Law, gonna break down the door, gonna carry me
    away once more
    Never, never, never get it any more
    Gotta get away from this stone cold floor
    Crazy
    Stone cold crazy, you know

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

PSU

Playstation Universe

Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission of Abstract Holdings International Ltd. prohibited.
Use of this site is governed by our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

vBCredits II Deluxe v2.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2010-2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.