PSN ID
    xPSYCHOPATH410x

Digital Game Downloads

Just wondering how many of you download your games digitally? I was always the kinda guy that I wanted to actual disc. But with the PS4 I prefer to simply download them. Whether I install from a disc or download it takes up the same space. I bought most of my launch games disc based. But recently took advantage of a special Gamestop trade in offer and got 200 bucks in PSN cards and re bought a few games digitally. I just really like being able to switch games on the fly with no disc swapping. I save some space storing discs and cases. I will still buy yearly franchises I intend to trade in via disc like sports franchises etc. But all other games it's digital here on out for me.

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Only doing digital download when there's a financial incentive to do so (i.e. F2P, PS+, Steep discount that beats out what I can get it for disc based.) Who knows when I want to lend out a game, and later when my HDD fills up, and I start deleting game caches, I want to be able to pop in the disc and start right back up instead of waiting for 50GB games to be DL'd.

Veteran
    Items Battlefield 3Assassins Creed EzioCoD: World at War
    I said from the start I'd stick to retail other than PS+/F2P. I wanted to go more digital to have more variety on remote play when I'm away from home but the original PSN prices of PS4 titles soon made me stick to retail. However, I've since bought BF4 and AC IV during the 12 day Christmas deals where them 2 titles were 19.99 on PS3 and paid 10 each to upgrade them to the PS4 version. The only disc I own now is COD Ghosts and have the choice of them 3 via remote play as well as getting the digital versions for decent prices.

If the prices were more competitive I wouldn't think twice and go permanently digital.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Price would be the only thing stopping me
    Last edited by keefy; 12-20-2013 at 22:30. Reason: Got my math wrong LOL

overstepping the mark
    PSN ID
    SHAFT_N_BALLS
    Items User name style
    Never had any intention of buying digital but i now have AC4 and BF4 downloaded to my PS4, and no disc based games

Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Ok... I was wrong. Happy?

PSN ID
    xPSYCHOPATH410x
    Quote Originally Posted by TAZ427 View Post
    Only doing digital download when there's a financial incentive to do so (i.e. F2P, PS+, Steep discount that beats out what I can get it for disc based.) Who knows when I want to lend out a game, and later when my HDD fills up, and I start deleting game caches, I want to be able to pop in the disc and start right back up instead of waiting for 50GB games to be DL'd.
    Whether you are digital or disc if you remove the cache(Install) you will have to re install. What you would save is download time. But I have a great connection. I downloaded 20gb AC4 both expansions and added DLC in 15 minutes. I never really lend games out anyway. None of my close friends play PS4 they love the $#@!box.

PSN ID
    xPSYCHOPATH410x
    Quote Originally Posted by SupraGaz View Post
    I said from the start I'd stick to retail other than PS+/F2P. I wanted to go more digital to have more variety on remote play when I'm away from home but the original PSN prices of PS4 titles soon made me stick to retail. However, I've since bought BF4 and AC IV during the 12 day Christmas deals where them 2 titles were 19.99 on PS3 and paid 10 each to upgrade them to the PS4 version. The only disc I own now is COD Ghosts and have the choice of them 3 via remote play as well as getting the digital versions for decent prices.

If the prices were more competitive I wouldn't think twice and go permanently digital.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah I really don't understand why it's still 60 bucks with no kind of packaging, pressing etc. Kinda boggles me there but still not enough to stop me from not buying digital. It's nice to be able to trade in but main games I trade are yearly titles, Madden, Baseball, Wrestling etc. No point in owning old version with a new one out or coming out. I do also enjoy retail pre order bonuses. Sony needs to offer competitive pre order bonuses. I just enjoy the freedom of hoping from game to game without the swapping of the discs. My cat likes it too. He doesn't get disturbed from his nap lol.

PSN ID
    xPSYCHOPATH410x
    Quote Originally Posted by -Shafty- View Post
    Never had any intention of buying digital but i now have AC4 and BF4 downloaded to my PS4, and no disc based games
    Yeah at launch I had bought AC4, Killzone, NFS Rivals, Madden, BF4 & NBA 2k14 all disc based. I only have Madden left disc wise. I traded AC4, Killzone, NFS Rivals BF4 & NBA 2k14 in at Gamestop for 42.50 a piece. Got a ton of PSN cards and re bought BF4 & AC4 digitally. Wasn't too fond of the other games. I just really enjoy the no disc swap freedom. Next up is a 1.5tb HDD and i'll be set!

Also if anyone wants that 42.50 trade in deal it ends on the 22nd at Gamestop US.

http://www.gamestop.com//collection/...d=eml_10001194

Get yourself some PSN cards. Pisses Gamestop off cause they don't make anything on gift cards lol.

Elite Guru
    Discs are so 90ish. Download and stream everything!
    Feed the troll

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items Diablo IIIOne PieceGhost in the ShellLuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    If i can buy it on a disk, I'll do that. $#@! downloading it takes way too long + we have stingy caps here. Just doing a patch takes long enough.

+ my phsyical collections are so sexy.

HDD size wise, both are an issue.. but at least disk installs are almost instant before you can play a game again... it would take me 3 days to download 40GB Killzone

Selected Members Council
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    Items Title StyleVitaPS3 Slim
    Sticking with discs personally, mean's I can trade games in or sell them on when I get bored with them!
    PSN ID: Duffman19864

Twitter ID: Duffman1986

Twitch ID: http://www.twitch.tv/duffman041986/profile

PSU Direct Email: adam.duffield@psu.com

My Youtube Gaming Channel - Now with commentary: Duffman Gaming

Apprentice
    Just bought ACBF digital. Its 27.99 on the PS store today. I used discounted PSN vouchers off cdkeys.com so I got ACBF for 23.51! Its 50 on Amazon! Plus I can now play on PS3, PS4 & Vita.

Just bought it on my iPhone set it to download remotely on PS4. Should be ready when I get home.

Anyone who says digital isn't a viable option is mad!

"I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly."

Forum Sage
    Items Legend of ZeldaHalf-Life 2Nintendo3DSFinal Fantasy VII
    I only download games that don't c ome out on Disc, I will never ever get a digital game over physical media. Especially as they take the piss with the prices and have no resale value. PC is different, I only get digital as the games have so much DRM anyway and cd keys it's pointless owning it physically.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Noxia View Post
    I only download games that don't c ome out on Disc, I will never ever get a digital game over physical media. Especially as they take the piss with the prices and have no resale value. PC is different, I only get digital as the games have so much DRM anyway and cd keys it's pointless owning it physically.
    I dont think 23.50 for a AAA game is a rip off. As for resale value do you think you would get more than 27 for the physical version?

"I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly."

Community and Technical Manager
    PSN ID
    Cand3Js
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffman1986 View Post
    Sticking with discs personally, mean's I can trade games in or sell them on when I get bored with them!
    Exactly. Bought KZ SF for $60....sold it on amazon for $40 when I was done. Paying full price for DD is a rip-off, imo. We are not talking about a tangible product that once sold, the game maker has to make more to replace it. No costs in shipping, packaging, etc. Just the game code.

Thread Information