Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast

PS4 network settings

Hello folks, I have a netgear R6300 and am wondering how to squeeze as much juice out of it as possible.

On Xbox One I get:
    Download 125-130Mbps
    Upload 25-33 Mbps

On PS4 I get:
    Download 25-33Mbps
    Upload 700Kb-5Mbps

I know these are estimated results but my Xbox One is getting more accurate readings compared to my PC and what I'm paying for.

Any help or explanations would be much appreciated.

Nucleus
    Last edited by LiquidGame; 12-22-2013 at 02:01.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Are they wired, or wireless? Distance from router? Nat type listed? When doing tests, what else is on the same network? Also, think about the net congestion for each service...

Forum Overseer
    I'm wired, never had any differences on my PS3 as opposed to the PC and well, what it's supposed to be (what i paid for).

so either your router is doing something or it may be the way you're connecting. it's also possible that it's the PSN but it should only be a temporary problem and not permanent.

PS4 network settings

They PS4 and Xbox One are both wired. I ran 10 test

I am currently NAT 2

Nucleus
    Last edited by LiquidGame; 12-22-2013 at 02:06.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    only have the PS4 connected to the router... better yet, go straight from your modem to the PS4. Then do the test. Post results.

6. Likes Omar likes this post

I'm restarting now ill post images from both PS4 and Xbox One NAT 1 and NAT 2

Nucleus

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by LiquidGame View Post
    They PS4 and Xbox One are both wired. I ran 10 test

I am currently NAT 2

Nucleus
    what F34R said. that would tell you that it's at least not your router. then you'd only have to make sure that it's not your cable, if not then it's likely PSN.

PS4 network settings

Here are my results NAT1/directly connected to my modem

PSN

XBL

Here are my routed/NAT2 results

PSN

XBL

My goal is to at least assign a static IP to my PS4 and open the appropriate ports to get better PSN results.

Again, any advice/explanation would be appreciated.

Nucleus

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Loyal-to-LFC & DaveNI1979
    Items PS3 SlimLiverpool
    Try www.bandwidthplace.com on ps4 internet browser, I get better results on that than the ps4 speedtest in network settings, which I find is only an estimate and not accurate. Another one is www.speedof.me

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Carla_Birch-USA
    www.bandwidthplace.com gives me speeds that are almost the same as normal speed tests on my Mac, My speeds around 120Mbps download and 11Mbps upload, that site on PS4 gives around 110Mbps/11Mbps. On the PS4 network test i get 33Mbps/5Mbps so that just shows how far it can be off, or just how bad the test server is.

Forum Overseer
    my test server on the PS3 did not have issues. i think it only had issues in the beginning of the generation but it's been fine for years.

Quote Originally Posted by C.Birch View Post
    www.bandwidthplace.com gives me speeds that are almost the same as normal speed tests on my Mac, My speeds around 120Mbps download and 11Mbps upload, that site on PS4 gives around 110Mbps/11Mbps. On the PS4 network test i get 33Mbps/5Mbps so that just shows how far it can be off, or just how bad the test server is.
    Thanks, but the question to the issue at hand is why is my connection to PSN significantly slower than Xbox Live and what many others on PSN are getting?

Nucleus

My goal is to at least assign a static IP to my PS4 and open the appropriate ports to get better PSN results.

Again, any advice/explanation would be appreciated.

Nucleus

Does anyone know which ports should be open for PS4? I'm having party chat issues.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Loyal-to-LFC & DaveNI1979
    Items PS3 SlimLiverpool
    Quote Originally Posted by TimmyLFC View Post
    Does anyone know which ports should be open for PS4? I'm having party chat issues.
    Put the ps4 into the DMZ of your router, that forwards all ports. I wouldnt suggest doing that with a laptop etc but perfectly safe with a ps4. Make sure the ip address you dmz is permantly assigned to the ps4s mac address. That is to ensure the ps4 next time you boot it up isnt assigned a different ip address than you have in dmz, then youd get issues again.

Thanks, but the question to the issue at hand is why is my connection to PSN significantly slower than Xbox Live and what many others on PSN are getting?

Nucleus
    The ps4 speedtest isnt accurate, did you even try www.bandwidthplace.com on ps4 browser like suggested? I get 95% off full speed on it using ps4 web browser, most accurate speedtest for me on ps4. Ps4 network settings test I only get about 75%.

What Im saying is your likely getting full speed on ps4. Time how long it takes to download 100MB of a game or whatever. If you really want to check what speed you are downloading at. Divide 100 by whatever you time it as and that is how many MB per second you are downloading at. (for eg I got 41 seconds, that works out to be 2.44MB per second. Which is 19.52mbps, near enough my full speed of 21mbps. ps4 speedtest in network settings says i get 14-15mbps)

Use this website to convert the MB/s to mbps using this website http://www.numion.com/calculators/units.html
    Last edited by DaveNI1979; 12-23-2013 at 06:19.

16. Likes Omar likes this post

Quote Originally Posted by DaveNI1979 View Post
    Put the ps4 into the DMZ of your router, that forwards all ports. I wouldnt suggest doing that with a laptop etc but perfectly safe with a ps4. Make sure the ip address you dmz is permantly assigned to the ps4s mac address. That is to ensure the ps4 next time you boot it up isnt assigned a different ip address than you have in dmz, then youd get issues again.

The ps4 speedtest isnt accurate, did you even try www.bandwidthplace.com on ps4 browser like suggested? I get 95% off full speed on it using ps4 web browser, most accurate speedtest for me on ps4. Ps4 network settings test I only get about 75%.

What Im saying is your likely getting full speed on ps4. Time how long it takes to download 100MB of a game or whatever. If you really want to check what speed you are downloading at. Divide 100 by whatever you time it as and that is how many MB per second you are downloading at. (for eg I got 41 seconds, that works out to be 2.44MB per second. Which is 19.52mbps, near enough my full speed of 21mbps. ps4 speedtest in network settings says i get 14-15mbps)

Use this website to convert the MB/s to mbps using this website http://www.numion.com/calculators/units.html
    I ran the test and my results were:
    NAT2 (Through the Router)
    Download Speed: 67Mb-75Mb
    Upload Speed: 25Mb-30Mb

I'm sure my PS4 to Internet is good, but my PSN connection, which is what really matters, is lacking.

PS4 to internet (vs) PS4 to PSN are two different issues. This is why I'm looking for a guide to open the appropriate ports to improve my connection to PSN.

Nucleus

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Forward these ports:

TCP/UDP

3478 - 3479
    10070 - 10080

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    jlmc1978
    Items User name style
    You don't NEED to forward any ports...use DMZ as you've been told. It does the same thing, and if a new game were to require a different port for something, then you'd have to into the router, yet again, and add that port to the list of what, 7 or 8 that you have now?

DMZ does it all...you type in ONE IP..the IP of the PS4.
    Really no need to use the MAC either, I've used a static IP on my PS3 since 2008, and assigned that IP to the DMZ...it's worked great for me.
    Of my 6mbps down connection, the PS3 showed me getting 5.5 or so.

PS4 is in the DMZ now, and it shows me getting 5.6-5.7 of my 6mbps.

Forwarding ports offers no benefit over using DMZ...DMZ is more simplistic and easier to use, and usually easier to work with...I can add an address to my Ubiquiti and Buffalo routers without a reboot..

And if you do use a static IP, there's no way something else on your network can be DHCP'd that IP....unless you set it yourself...then you'll have IP collision and start having all sorts of weird problems. Best way to run a network is DHCP and only static the ones that you know for sure need extra attention, i.e. the PS3, PS4, VoIP services, etc.
    The only thing I have a static on my network of 2 physical DSL lines with a mix of 7 routers is the Ps3 in the den, the PS4 in my bedroom, and the 2nd PS3 in my spare room.
    The Ps3's are assigned the same IP and the same router...because they both can't be on at the same time and I'm not setting up both of them to be used at the same time.
    I think I tried forwarding ports once...but when I got a new router, then added a second router, and a third router...then added a 2nd DSL line and some more routers...I got tired of Googling "ps3 ports to forward" and just use DMZ every time I need to add a new router as my main PPPoE router.

I just had a job last week where someone (a business I work for on the side) wanted stronger internet (wifi) signal in a tax office they use ...didn't want to have a new DSL line installed just for that, so they wanted to boost their current wireless to reach...
    Ubiquiti Nanostation Loco M2 worked great for this...grab the wifi with the Loco M2, connect a router to it, and have a 2nd wifi network in that office with excellent signal...
    My network experience isn't as vast as some, but I've done lots of projects from using DD-WRT to make a router into a wireless repeater, to extending range.
    I'm in a beta test right now for (COMPANY NAME) Range Extender testing. I can't say who, or describe anything ...because it's beta and I signed the NDA which keeps things hush-hush....
    But take it from someone who's been dealing with different aspects of networking from both business and personal perspectives for many years.
    Last edited by jonathanm1978; 12-23-2013 at 15:30.

'It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.' - Abraham Lincoln

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Here is some help in either port forwarding, or enabling and using DMZ, for your router:

http://www.ports3658.com/2012/08/net...uter-port.html

I would use the port forwarding first. If that fixes the issue, then leave it be. If not, try putting the PS4 in the DMZ. If that doesn't fix it, we'll have to keep trying to e-troublehsoot the problem.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Carla_Birch-USA
    My PSN speeds on PS4 and PS3 are always much lower than my real speed.

My real speeds 122Mbps Download and 11Mbps Upload, both system show only 34Mbps download and 5Mbps Upload.
    Did a download test, 100MB downloaded in 22 sec whats 4.54MB a sec. I should be downloading 100MB in about 6 sec.

I have set up port forwarding, tried DMZ, personally I'm starting to think my problem in Virgin Media or their Super Media Hub.

Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Here is some help in either port forwarding, or enabling and using DMZ, for your router:

http://www.ports3658.com/2012/08/net...uter-port.html

I would use the port forwarding first. If that fixes the issue, then leave it be. If not, try putting the PS4 in the DMZ. If that doesn't fix it, we'll have to keep trying to e-troublehsoot the problem.
    Ahhhh, Finally! Thank you! I'll give that at try.

Nucleus

I have put the PS4 into DMZ with static IP but still can't get party chat to work with anyone. Anyone have an idea what else to try?

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    XtraTrstrL
    I think it's just PSN. Even though PS4's PSN is suppose to be better, it still needs time to upgrade. They have to throw some of the new large volume of PS+ profits back into the network to upgrade it. I think it'll start to quickly go up in performance and quality over the next year and into the future. Xbox Live has head years and years advantage, even without them spending much of their profits on the network. I think Sony will be less greedy, partially cuz they have to to catch up, and the performance should make big leaps sooner than later. I recently opened all the PSN ports on my PS4 just to be safe. It's hard to tell if it really made a difference, but internet connection test download/upload speeds are kinda random on PS3 and PS4. I'd do what some others have mentioned and use the PS4 browser and go to a speed test server to check. I haven't done that personally, but I feel it's mainly because the servers still need more time to upgrade.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Carla_Birch-USA
    Quote Originally Posted by XtraTrstrL View Post
    I think it's just PSN. Even though PS4's PSN is suppose to be better, it still needs time to upgrade. They have to throw some of the new large volume of PS+ profits back into the network to upgrade it. I think it'll start to quickly go up in performance and quality over the next year and into the future. Xbox Live has head years and years advantage, even without them spending much of their profits on the network. I think Sony will be less greedy, partially cuz they have to to catch up, and the performance should make big leaps sooner than later. I recently opened all the PSN ports on my PS4 just to be safe. It's hard to tell if it really made a difference, but internet connection test download/upload speeds are kinda random on PS3 and PS4. I'd do what some others have mentioned and use the PS4 browser and go to a speed test server to check. I haven't done that personally, but I feel it's mainly because the servers still need more time to upgrade.
    The fact that i get near on full speed on my PS4 using the internet, yet going on system test what will be using PSN i don't even get half the speed, shows just how bad it might be, but on flip side i know people who are getting much faster speeds on the PS4 speed test than mine gives me. I know it might just be because of the route they take to the PSN servers might be loads better than mine.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    jlmc1978
    Items User name style
    Think about it this way: your maximum download speed from the PSN is going to be limited to 1)PSN Servers max UPLOAD speed, and factor in the latency, server hops between you and the particular physical location of where you are compared to where your connect has to travel to get to the PSN....
    Plus, you're talking about a consistent, steady connection that is between you and the PSN. You can't expect Sony to hold a 100mbps connection, consistently, between you and them...that's just absurd from a bandwidth perspective.
    Much over 20mbps isn't necessary and won't make much difference in gaming. You can only download something as fast as the server you're connected to can upload it...so the limitation may not be on your end. Just saying that you have a 100mbps download connection and you should be connecting to PSN at 80mbps isn't reflective of what Sony's servers can maintain between you and them ...considering the thousands of others that are connected at the very same time.
    Connection speed isn't always as black & white as "I pay for 10meg down, 3 meg up, I should always download stuff at 10meg per second"....

The main choke point is how fast can the server you're downloading FROM send it to you? If I have a 1gig per second download speed, and you have a 25gig file to send me, but your upload speed is only 1meg per second...it doesn't matter at all that I have 1 gig download...I'm limited because your upload speed isn't as fast as my download speed and I'll never be able to receive your file any faster than you can send it.

'It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.' - Abraham Lincoln

From what I tested there seems to be some sort of bottleneck in my router.

From what I have been reading, this can be improved to near NAT1 performance by simply setting up your router for PSN use be it DMZ or Port forwarding.

My problem is, I have yet to find a simple set up that works but I'm still looking.

Nucleus

Thread Information