Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast
    PSN ID
    BOZTRADAMUS
    The P4c Turtle beach chat headset is ok for the value. The open ear works nice but the volume was not too great tbh. Thats a 1 ear chat headset. If you want just a headset for listening to your PS4 without chat. The industry standard Sony MDR-V150 have great sound for the price. Though they are not surround they still sound great and sounds move from left to right similar to surround sound. Hope that helps

PSN ID
    croatoa
    Astro, and Turtle Beach are the way to go for quality of sound (or perhaps the Sennheiser? I've heard it is superb as well)- they all put out amazing sound that allows you to pick up on audio based environmental cues like footsteps/ voices, etc.... I have used the sony official headsets and they are not quite up to par with the sound quality of the aforementioned brands. However, I agree with the previous mentioning of Turtle Beaches as having poor hardware durability- The wires on TB headsets are very flimsy and are prone to wearing down- I wasted 200 dollars on TB headsets before trying the pulse, and while it is more durable, the sound quality was terrible by comparison. By far the best headset I have ever had is the A 50 from Astro; it's sound quality has been unmatched by any but the TB. But it also is wireless and extremely durable- I don't see myself having to purchase a new headset any time soon

So to sum up:

-Quality of Sound-- Astro, or Turtle Beach(possibly Sennheiser)
    -Durability of Hardware-- Astro, or Sony
    -Ease of use on the PS4-- none- all require you to update the device's software through the PC unless it was made for the ps4 but it is relatively easy to do anyway

-Overall-- Astro- Durable, easy to use, and superb quality of sound- the main drawbacks are the price <299.99>, and the mix amp setup is somewhat awkward at first until you get used to it. That said; I have no regrets and think it's one of the best options.

Master Sage
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Riptide_Warrior View Post
    Astro, and Turtle Beach are the way to go for quality of sound (or perhaps the Sennheiser? I've heard it is superb as well)- they all put out amazing sound that allows you to pick up on audio based environmental cues like footsteps/ voices, etc.... I have used the sony official headsets and they are not quite up to par with the sound quality of the aforementioned brands. However, I agree with the previous mentioning of Turtle Beaches as having poor hardware durability- The wires on TB headsets are very flimsy and are prone to wearing down- I wasted 200 dollars on TB headsets before trying the pulse, and while it is more durable, the sound quality was terrible by comparison. By far the best headset I have ever had is the A 50 from Astro; it's sound quality has been unmatched by any but the TB. But it also is wireless and extremely durable- I don't see myself having to purchase a new headset any time soon

So to sum up:

-Quality of Sound-- Astro, or Turtle Beach(possibly Sennheiser)
    -Durability of Hardware-- Astro, or Sony
    -Ease of use on the PS4-- none- all require you to update the device's software through the PC unless it was made for the ps4 but it is relatively easy to do anyway

-Overall-- Astro- Durable, easy to use, and superb quality of sound- the main drawbacks are the price <299.99>, and the mix amp setup is somewhat awkward at first until you get used to it. That said; I have no regrets and think it's one of the best options.
    How about comfort? I cant find a headset that doesnt make my ears really hurt after just 1 hour of use.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    N0REGARD4LIFE
    Items PlayStationDiceBattlefield 3
    Astro A50s and A40s are very comfortable. I game with my A50s for hours on end and they cause no discomfort.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    N0REGARD4LIFE
    Quote Originally Posted by P51-SN95 View Post
    can you use them fully wireless? or do you have to plug them in to the Controller?

I've been waiting for this "january update" for the Pulse headsets, but I haven't heard anything out of Sony since before the PS4 launched. I know they're working on a new headset but I don't like the fact that I'm not hearing anything about it. Makes me think it won't be out for quite a while yet.

So I've been really considering getting an A40 or A50
    The A50s are fully wireless when you use them for the PS4. They do require a chat cable for the 360 and I'm not sure about the X1.

PSN ID
    croatoa
    Quote Originally Posted by HellsJester View Post
    How about comfort? I cant find a headset that doesnt make my ears really hurt after just 1 hour of use.

Good point
    Comfort: With respect to the headsets I have used, the least comfortable were the sony headsets as they tended to press onto your ears very tightly, and they also made my ears sweat (ewwww :P). The Turtle beaches were not too bad if I remember correctly but the ear pieces were somewhat small and do not fit around the ears all that well, leading to them pressing down tightly on the outer ear and the lobe. I prefer the Astro because the material covering the outside is soft and durable( and makes a great set of ear muffs if you are Canadian and have to go outside for a second in the winter XD), and the ear pieces are large enough that they will fit snuggly around any size of ear(even Will Smith's), and you can adjust the ear piece's orientation both vertically and horizontally to match the structure of your own ears on your head. That said, I would give the victory to TB or Astro in this department.

Master Sage
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by N0REGARD4LIFE View Post
    Astro A50s and A40s are very comfortable. I game with my A50s for hours on end and they cause no discomfort.
    Ok added A40s to my list of headsets to look at. Are there any you would recommend in terms of most comfortable?

Good point
    Comfort: With respect to the headsets I have used, the least comfortable were the sony headsets as they tended to press onto your ears very tightly, and they also made my ears sweat (ewwww :P). The Turtle beaches were not too bad if I remember correctly but the ear pieces were somewhat small and do not fit around the ears all that well, leading to them pressing down tightly on the outer ear and the lobe. I prefer the Astro because the material covering the outside is soft and durable( and makes a great set of ear muffs if you are Canadian and have to go outside for a second in the winter XD), and the ear pieces are large enough that they will fit snuggly around any size of ear(even Will Smith's), and you can adjust the ear piece's orientation both vertically and horizontally to match the structure of your own ears on your head. That said, I would give the victory to TB or Astro in this department.
    Which TBs would you recommend? Wired ones please.
    Last edited by HellsJester; 01-03-2014 at 03:27.

PSN ID
    croatoa
    [/QUOTE]Which TBs would you recommend? Wired ones please.[/QUOTE]

Hmm I can't in good conscience recommend a wired turtle beach, I paid $150.00 for my first wired turtle beach and within weeks the wire began to wear away, at first the sound would intermittently stop working and I would have to move the wire a certain way for it to work. Then within months it stopped working altogether and I had to go purchase a second set- only to have the same thing happen. Buy the A40 if you want a wired headset- If I had bought the A 50 from the start I would have saved $300.00. So no I will not recommend a wired TB headset- I think you would be making an egregious mistake buying one of those. Let my wasted money be your pre-learned lesson.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    N0REGARD4LIFE
    The A40s and A50s are nearly identical comfort wise. The 50s are a tad heavier but not really noticeable.

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by N0REGARD4LIFE View Post
    The A40s and A50s are nearly identical comfort wise. The 50s are a tad heavier but not really noticeable.
    I really wish stores would let you try them on. At Bestbuy you can try on and test out all the TB products and if you go over by the PC gaming section there are even more to try on. But never the Astro's

Master Sage
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by P51-SN95 View Post
    I really wish stores would let you try them on. At Bestbuy you can try on and test out all the TB products and if you go over by the PC gaming section there are even more to try on. But never the Astro's
    Oh Really?!! Dammit! I was gonna go to Best Buy next week to try them but if they arent there then i cant try them so i cant buy them.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    N0REGARD4LIFE
    Guys trust me...Astros are heaven on your head. Unless you have a gigantic melon head.

PSN ID
    croatoa
    I definitely understand the apprehension that these guys have about buying a headset before they can try it out to see how comfortable it is- but most stores will not be willing to make the space and devote the headsets for that purpose- it would be nice but in the end you have to be realistic- if you want a good headset you will have to pay for it- and I think if you are getting a wired headset you will have to accept the risk of the wire causing problems on TB. Astro or Senns are the way to go

PSN ID
    squ1jee
    How are the Astros a50 on battery life? And are they easy to set up for the ps4 seems like a lot of steps from what I read

PSN ID
    croatoa
    Battery Life: It varies from head set to head set as far as I know, which is definitely not a selling point in my opinion. That said, The A 50 will last you the majority of the day if you play for an extended period of time and will last an extremely long time for people who don't play all that often. With a full charge I can easily get a good solid 5-6 hours- and that's just my best guess, it could be longer.

Setup: Basically the same kind of setup you will need to make for any last gen headset. I just plugged the mixamp(a small hub that communicates wirelessly to the system) into my computer via the mixamp's USB power cord and basically followed the instructions on the Astro website. It was actually very easy(anyone who knows how to use google can do this) and I felt pretty happy when it started working I really recommend the A 50 if you can afford it. I can see very little reason why someone would regret buying it

Master Sage
    Items User name style
    I definitely understand the apprehension that these guys have about buying a headset before they can try it out to see how comfortable it is- but most stores will not be willing to make the space and devote the headsets for that purpose- it would be nice but in the end you have to be realistic- if you want a good headset you will have to pay for it- and I think if you are getting a wired headset you will have to accept the risk of the wire causing problems on TB. Astro or Senns are the way to go
    Which Senns would you recommend in terms of most comfortable?

PSN ID
    squ1jee
    Battery Life: It varies from head set to head set as far as I know, which is definitely not a selling point in my opinion. That said, The A 50 will last you the majority of the day if you play for an extended period of time and will last an extremely long time for people who don't play all that often. With a full charge I can easily get a good solid 5-6 hours- and that's just my best guess, it could be longer.

Setup: Basically the same kind of setup you will need to make for any last gen headset. I just plugged the mixamp(a small hub that communicates wirelessly to the system) into my computer via the mixamp's USB power cord and basically followed the instructions on the Astro website. It was actually very easy(anyone who knows how to use google can do this) and I felt pretty happy when it started working I really recommend the A 50 if you can afford it. I can see very little reason why someone would regret buying it
    Thanks for the info. I'm def considering taking the plunge, it's a lot but from everything I'm hearing it's worth it.

PSN ID
    croatoa
    Quote Originally Posted by HellsJester View Post
    Which Senns would you recommend in terms of most comfortable?
    With Senns I would recommend the Game Zero- it is at least on par with the A50's in terms of both sound quality and comfort level- and might even be a bit better. That said, in all honesty I haven't had nearly as much experience with Senns as I have with Astro- so if there is anyone else in this thread who is a staunch Senns supporter step forward and share your wisdom

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    N0REGARD4LIFE
    If you go Astro, get the refurbished sets off of Amazon. Like I said, $100 cheaper and still get a year warranty on them. The only reason I got new ones, was because Astro had new BF4 Editions for $224 on black friday with free shipping. Well worth it though.

Chocolatier to the Stars
    PSN ID
    TidalPhoenix
    Items New User TitleUser name style
    I'm using PX51's and I love them. Comfortable with exceptional audio. You get 15 hours of gaming out of them before recharging, but they can be charged while you're playing anyway. Great headset.

​aka Sparc

Entropy isn't what it used be

Superior Member
    Well I understand that you can't try on every set, but for how much the Astro's cost, I'd really really like to try them on! No one wants to spend that much money and decide that they don't fit well. I may have gotten the Turtle Beach XP Seven's because I liked how the other TB's ones fit, then I put them on and realize they "squeeze" your head quite a bit more than the cheaper ones and started to give me a headache before the demo video even ended.

I'm waiting for my Fantasy Football winnings to arrive before I go buy (so glad they talked me in to playing! haha) as it'll be enough to buy just about any headset I want. But I'm still apprehensive about the Astro's because I don't like all the wires and how they connect. I really like the Sony Pulse Headset because I like how it's just a USB thumbstick and it just looks so much "Cleaner" Really hoping Sony makes an announcement soon on a newer headset.

Master Poster

Audio technica ad700x on sale at amazon and will out perform any headset mentioned in this thread on top of being one of the most comfortable headsets you can get.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    N0REGARD4LIFE
    Yep but you need a way to get surround out of those. You'd have to get those and the Astro Mix amp.

Superior Member
    Really hoping sony announces some new PS4 headsets during their CES speech/conference today.

Superior Member
    Sony announces that the next new Headsets coming out for the PS4 will be made by Turtle Beach.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/01/...y-turtle-beach

Turtle Beach has entered a partnership with Sony, meaning the gaming audio monolith will be tasked with creating official gaming headsets for PlayStation 4.The headsets will come in both tournament-grade editions as well as a cheaper version for the average consumer, and will be unveiled this summer before landing in stores in autumn.
    As an additional bonus, the headsets will also be compatible with PS Vita.

Thread Information