Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 4 ... LastLast
    Apprentice
    PSN ID
    vinny_pizza79
    I've only used it a few hours, but I'll probably keep the vss on since I only use them for gaming. It was always on with my pulse set as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by chrisw26308 View Post
    Question, what mode do you guys like better the VSS or regular. I actually much prefer VSS so far unless I'm listening to music.
    That's interesting, I'd be curious to hear others' opinions. I'm still waiting for my set to arrive, but I'd heard at another forum that the VSS wasn't so good. Individual opinion, of course.

Forum Elder
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    That's interesting, I'd be curious to hear others' opinions. I'm still waiting for my set to arrive, but I'd heard at another forum that the VSS wasn't so good. Individual opinion, of course.
    That may vary from game to game but with VSS on your hearing a truer realistic sound. For example BF4, you can hear where an enemy is coming from before u see them with VSS. I'm sure it's not 8mportant for all games to hear where the sound is coming from but I've mainly been playing BF.

I also don't crank them up, I keep the volume about halfway up for my preference. With VSS off they sound richer with more bass but it seems to drown out some of the higher pitched sounds and doesn't sound natural.

There are two on settings, 1 and 2. selection 2 you can program yourself and I have mine set on bass mode for listening to music with because they do sound richer with more bass.

So for me it's 1 for gaming and 2 for music. to be fair though i haven't tried all the sound profiles the PS APP gives u so that may change.

You might want to get familiar with them before they get there so check out this pdf. You will know what your doing better when u put them on.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...twawB6f8NTVWHA

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

4. Likes Andy likes this post
    Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Seemed fine to me.....I'm no audiophile though.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Btw VSS doesn't work on PC and obviously when using the wired cable and the headphones off. Some say it makes them sound thin, but I kinda like it.

<-- And naturally, on setting 2 with the bass Frozen sounds incredible on Blu-Ray.
    what's truly remarkable about headphones this detailed is they are light on sibilance which is a hissing sound, usually associated with over emphasis of 'S', 'CH'.

These headphones are simply stunning from sub bass all the way up to the highest highs.
    Last edited by mickice; 06-17-2014 at 18:52.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

Forum Elder
    Yeah I like them wired also, these things sound good any way you use them.

And yeah I never get hissing or distortion no matter how loud I have them. If I demoed these before I bought them I would have gladly paid more for them.

Very impressed.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    Seemed fine to me.....I'm no audiophile though.
    Good to hear. I'm no audiophile either. Heck, I don't even know what 7.1 is. I lost track after 5.1. I'm assuming 6 and 7 are up and down, but I really have no idea.

That may vary from game to game but with VSS on your hearing a truer realistic sound. For example BF4, you can hear where an enemy is coming from before u see them with VSS. I'm sure it's not 8mportant for all games to hear where the sound is coming from but I've mainly been playing BF.

I also don't crank them up, I keep the volume about halfway up for my preference. With VSS off they sound richer with more bass but it seems to drown out some of the higher pitched sounds and doesn't sound natural.

There are two on settings, 1 and 2. selection 2 you can program yourself and I have mine set on bass mode for listening to music with because they do sound richer with more bass.

So for me it's 1 for gaming and 2 for music. to be fair though i haven't tried all the sound profiles the PS APP gives u so that may change.

You might want to get familiar with them before they get there so check out this pdf. You will know what your doing better when u put them on.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...twawB6f8NTVWHA

Thank you, I'll check that out. I'll read up on them.

You are using the PS app? I heard they have different adjustments for individual games. That's pretty cool. I assume that makes a difference.

I also heard that you lose some of the functions if you plug them into the controller.

Forum Elder
    Good to hear. I'm no audiophile either. Heck, I don't even know what 7.1 is. I lost track after 5.1. I'm assuming 6 and 7 are up and down, but I really have no idea.

Thank you, I'll check that out. I'll read up on them.

You are using the PS app? I heard they have different adjustments for individual games. That's pretty cool. I assume that makes a difference.

I also heard that you lose some of the functions if you plug them into the controller.
    Yes it has different modes for different games, FPS, sports, etc.. or u can use the custom equalizer and make your own.

As Mickice kind of stated, you loss VSS when u plug them in. They just become ordinary 2 channel headphones but u use your phone equalizer to change that a bit.

7.1 means 7 channels of sound with bass (.1) I think. 5.1 is the same with 5 channels or speakers. Surround sound is meant for u to hear like u are in the scene and delivers that with 5 or 7 speakers sending different sounds at different volumes to different speakers for the effect.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yes it has different modes for different games, FPS, sports, etc.. or u can use the custom equalizer and make your own.
    Those are nice options.

7.1 means 7 channels of sound with bass (.1) I think. 5.1 is the same with 5 channels or speakers. Surround sound is meant for u to hear like u are in the scene and delivers that with 5 or 7 speakers sending different sounds at different volumes to different speakers for the effect.
    Yeah, I've had 5.1 systems. I figured 7.1 added two other speakers, but I couldn't figure out where the additional 2 speakers would go. I looked it up, and this is what I read:

"Whereas a 5.1 surround sound system combines both surround and rear channel effects into two channels (commonly configured in home theatre set-ups as two rear surround speakers), a 7.1 surround system splits the surround and rear channel information into four distinct channels, in which sound effects are directed to left and right surround channels, plus two rear surround channels. In a 7.1 surround sound home theatre set-up, the surround speakers are placed to the side of the listener's position and the rear speakers are placed behind the listener."

So it's like 5.1, except you have 4 rear speakers instead of 2, with 2 placed to the side and 2 behind.

It's a little more complicated, though, because, "In addition, with the advent of Dolby Pro Logic IIz and DTS Neo:X, 7.1 surround sound can also refer to 5.1 surround sound configurations with the addition of two front height channels positioned above the front channels or two front wide channels positioned between the front and surround channels."

That's real 7.1, of course, not the simulated version we get in our headphones. I imagine it would be pretty expensive to put real 7.1 in headphones.

Forum Elder
    That's cool. Good info.

I don't know if your into VR but Sony is doing some awesome stuff regarding sound in the headset.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    vinny_pizza79
    After caving and picking up the Gold headset, I have to say I am loving them. Compared to my original Pulse, I feel like the VSS is so much better that I can actually pinpoint direction of noise much better. Glad I jumped in.

13. Likes Andy likes this post
    I don't know if your into VR but Sony is doing some awesome stuff regarding sound in the headset.
    You mean in Morpheus? I am taking a sort of "wait and see" approach with VR. I'm not convinced yet. I can't help but think I'll be uncomfortable staring at a screen a couple inches from my face for more than a few minutes.

Ultimate Veteran

Turns out the Gold Wireless headset uses very cheap plastic hinges (look at those odd square bits). When stretching the headband to fit these over my head it snapped the right side hinge, I might have had a defective unit but just a warning for those that love these headphones and want to use them 24/7.

Went in and got a replacement, pretty simple since they were only a week old.

If it happens again i'll just engineer my own fix.
    Last edited by mickice; 06-26-2014 at 09:11.

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    You must have a big head.

Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Quote Originally Posted by mickice View Post

Turns out the Gold Wireless headset uses very cheap plastic hinges (look at those odd square bits). When stretching the headband to fit these over my head it snapped the right side hinge, I might have had a defective unit but just a warning for those that love these headphones and want to use them 24/7.

Went in and got a replacement, pretty simple since they were only a week old.

If it happens again i'll just engineer my own fix.
    Yep. One of those little plastic covers broke on mine a few days ago. I was pissed. I've had mine for months though so will have to fix it myself. Handle with care, folks.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    Yep. One of those little plastic covers broke on mine a few days ago. I was pissed. I've had mine for months though so will have to fix it myself. Handle with care, folks.
    I advise when taking them off, not to pull from the ear pads, but from the actual structural band.

Its disappointing because SONY have gotten so close to the ideal speaker driver and comfort with these, I love them to bits.

If they do break again my idea for a fix is to glue and screw a metal hinge on the inside. From the outside they'll look identical.
    Last edited by mickice; 06-26-2014 at 12:38.

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Damn, I've got a big head (and I'm not just talking about in Ego terms .) 90% of baseball caps adjusted to their widest still don't fit me. I had to special order my Mortar Boards (Graduation Caps) for HS and Univ. I was thinking about getting the PS Gold Headset but now I'm concerned.

That said, I am pretty gentle handling such equipment. Decisions Decisions.

Does the cushion rest on the ear, or go over the ear? The biggest problem I have with the large cushion cans w/ leather covered cushions is they make my ears sweat if they set on my ears instead of over them.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    vinny_pizza79
    For me the cushions rest pretty much over them. I'm a head sweater but haven't had any issues. They're comfortable as hell for me and I have no regrets.

Ultimate Veteran
    Around the ears. Its actually quite a small fit, I have to wear it on full, but in saying that I love the sound out of the drivers, even when plugged direct into my Bravia while watching Blu-Rays the bass is incredibly tight, mids are fine and the top end it detailed not sharp.

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    I guess they put sound quality before build quality.

Whats the mic quality like on the sony wireless headset 2.0 folks? as ive seen reviews saying its good and some say its terrible

Got my Gold headset, and I've been using it for about a week now. I really like it. It's so much more immersive than the TV speakers, which I had to keep low. I was missing a LOT of the little sounds and nuances, and I wasn't really hearing the music or sound effects the way I am now. I haven't tried the VSS (just been playing Child of Light, so no need for surround sound) or any of the custom apps yet, but I'm very pleased so far.

Superior Member
    one thing I'll throw in which should be rather obvious, but when comparing and asking others opinions, ask what game they are playing. I have my A50's and now I love them (took me a while to get used to the weight) but I notice a big difference between games. With COD the sound is good and the headset helps, but use them with BF4 and it's like OMGWTFBBQ it's like using a totally different brand of headset. The sound quality between the 2 games is jaw dropping.

Everytime I switch from COD to BF4 I'm blown away each and every time (pun intended??)

Forum Elder
    Got my Gold headset, and I've been using it for about a week now. I really like it. It's so much more immersive than the TV speakers, which I had to keep low. I was missing a LOT of the little sounds and nuances, and I wasn't really hearing the music or sound effects the way I am now. I haven't tried the VSS (just been playing Child of Light, so no need for surround sound) or any of the custom apps yet, but I'm very pleased so far.
    Awes9me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

PSN ID
    Spokey-Who
    I haven't the time to read through every post, but I would consider getting the Gold Wireless. I use the PX22's and while they are nice, they are not really surround sound. They were cheap though when I picked them up, dirt cheap in fact. Anyone is better off just spending the extra cash on Golds.

Thread Information