Latest PSU headlines:

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 4 ... LastLast
    Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    I really despise how things are turning into a war of resolution. Last-generation is was about disc size differences and the purported power of the Cell processor. Maybe it'll settle down once there's a larger inventory of games to compare and argue over, but I doubt it.
    No, this is a war of CLARITY and resolution has a great deal to do with that! Fill Rate can be used 2 ways. Frames Per Second or Higher Resolution.
    XBO doesn't have headroom, sofar, it seems it has to goto lower resolution to achieve higher fps.
    PS4 is native 1080p on everything except some indie titles and that mess called BF4 apparently (I mistook it for being patched... don't have the game). If it's Cross Platform, except for BF4, it's 1080p on PS4. If it's not a sports or racing game, it's 720p on XBO.

Quote Originally Posted by YoungMullah88 View Post
    What happened to the cloud? That was a better and entertaining argument

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
    Ah, the Cloud... looks like rain.

Quote Originally Posted by Yungstar 2006 View Post
    and yet these "best OS programmers in the world" got it wrong with Xbox, straight out the box.
    Yep, and their equally amazing hardware engineers who just 'did what we did last time with the eDRAM, but faster'
    instead of just going all out. Thanks, SONY wins.

Quote Originally Posted by D3seeker View Post
    It is the HD era. Hell we'realready talking about the next thing and these consoles can barely spit out proper 720p at THIS point....

It is sort of petty though the nit-picking going on with this console war but this little issue in itself is quite despicable in itself.
    XBO spitting out 720p, PS4 spitting out 1080p and faster.
    4K tv won't take off for a bit longer. The next game systems will hit just as 4K begins to turn the corner on mainstream sales. It was WAY TO EXPENSIVE to bring an affordable 4K game system to market. We can do 4K right now, but, it's gonna be really sharp sparse landscapes with little to do. 4K tetris is certainly doable, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by mistercrow View Post
    What "these consoles" are you referring to being barely able to spit out 720p? Every game on PS4 is native 1080p except for BF4 at 900p.
    Thanks for making me check on that, I thought BF4 had gotten it's act together. Again, I don't have the game. Sad really. Makes all the talk of Mantle look like a volcano belch. Everyone looks, gets excited, then back to their daily lives.
    Sleeping very soundly on a Saturday morning I was dreaming
    I was Al Capone
    There's a rumour going round, gotta clear outta town
    I'm smelling like a dry fish bone
    Here come the Law, gonna break down the door, gonna carry me
    away once more
    Never, never, never get it any more
    Gotta get away from this stone cold floor
    Crazy
    Stone cold crazy, you know

2. Likes AttackTitan, mistercrow likes this post
    Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dondidit View Post
    It's a big problem when next gen should clearly sail through up to 1080p with no issues and 60fps. No excuses this gen on either side.
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisw26308 View Post
    I'm not an Xbox gamer but that is total bs. Both these consoles should be able to achieve 1080@60 for all games.
    What I seem to always get a laugh out of is how so many people think that just because the new consoles are more powerful than last gen that all games should easily get 1080p and 60fps.

You can have a machine 20x more powerful than the PS4 and easily still have games not pushing 1080p and 60fps. It is all based upon how the developer wants to make use of the hardware. If they want to allocate every ounce of power from the machine to push the best graphics, best lighting, best physics, and so forth, the developers will always need to decide if they are willing to make cuts from the FPS or resolution.

When going for graphical fidelity, no mater how powerful the machine is, this debate will always exist. The only situation where every last game will be 1080p/60fps (now or any generation in the future) will only happen if the consumer base and industry refuses to accept any different.
    "Bigfoot is blurry, that is the problem...it is not the photographers fault...Bigfoot is blurry and that is extra scary to me because there is an extra large out-of-focus creature roaming the countryside....Run he's fuzzy, get out of here" ~ Mitch Hedburg, RIP you crazy fool

Extreme Poster
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by WretchedSoul21 View Post
    What I seem to always get a laugh out of is how so many people think that just because the new consoles are more powerful than last gen that all games should easily get 1080p and 60fps.

You can have a machine 20x more powerful than the PS4 and easily still have games not pushing 1080p and 60fps. It is all based upon how the developer wants to make use of the hardware. If they want to allocate every ounce of power from the machine to push the best graphics, best lighting, best physics, and so forth, the developers will always need to decide if they are willing to make cuts from the FPS or resolution.

When going for graphical fidelity, no mater how powerful the machine is, this debate will always exist. The only situation where every last game will be 1080p/60fps (now or any generation in the future) will only happen if the consumer base and industry refuses to accept any different.
    yeah, guess what's going to happen with every TV sold being 1080p.

MS took a risk with the X1 hardware, and I think it will mostly pay off. it is going ot make some people mad but most will not care because they don't buy consoles for power.

eventually i think we will start seeing X1 games being 1080p and maybe 30fps or 60fps but may end up removing effects/processes etc. to compensate. right now they know that most people, while may have a 1080p set, but they may either not have a big screen TV OR they may just not be able to notice it yet because most people don't know the difference, don't know how to look for it and will discard it thinking it's not a big deal.

it might take a couple of years for this to catch on.
    Last edited by Omar; 01-02-2014 at 14:30.

Superior Member

https://twitter.com/thuway/status/418667686311120896

"@bravedwarf I can't say anything about that, but I've heard 10% performance boost should be on tap."

New information from Thuway.

Could this mean the 10 percent power that was previously locked? Or just performance increase due to driver efficiency? Or combination of both?

Regardless, good news for devs who is trying to stabilize framerate on Titanfall.

Quote Originally Posted by Vulgotha View Post
    You're new here. Well spoken, calm and mature analysis. Quality counter points made.

I like you.

We've got another good one here Rapture.
    ha. Thank you, sir.
    Last edited by AttackTitan; 01-02-2014 at 23:23.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    I'd guess that it's software based.

Dedicated Member

Correct, but, it was only just a couple of years ago that PC's with single cards were getting to 1080p @60 on a regular basis. My 6950ATi can still hit that, and the PS4 is roughly equal to that machine task for task.

What we are REALLY getting at is that the processing gap is such a large divide.
    When games come along which strain the PS4, the XBO will essentially break.
    Everytime the PS4 developer decides to drop their game's resolution to fit more enemies/ai/etc into a game... the XBO version of that game has nowhere to go!
    Back to 540p? Then your high rez textures are useless.

The processing divide is just so great.
    With the XBO, you not only pay $100 more for the Kinect and it's questionable usefulness, but, you sacrificed so much in processing. For $100 more you should have had same processing and the camera and HDMI.

That's where the value add equation falls apart.
    I was Al Capone
    away once more
    Crazy

Veteran

PSN ID
    Cybertox

I have witnessed PCs not only running certain engines and games at 60 fps on 1080p but at 120 fps on 120hz monitors and on 2560x1440. This just showcases how much consoles lack hardware power even though the next gen is already here and still struggling with 1080p and not even talking about 60 fps. Consoles after such a big time frame are expected to at least have no issues running games at 1080p.

9. Likes D3seeker likes this post
    Extreme Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybertox View Post
    I have witnessed PCs not only running certain engines and games at 60 fps on 1080p but at 120 fps on 120hz monitors and on 2560x1440. This just showcases how much consoles lack hardware power even though the next gen is already here and still struggling with 1080p and not even talking about 60 fps. Consoles after such a big time frame are expected to at least have no issues running games at 1080p.
    i love these claims without any real information. what card were you using? were you using multiple cards? what game was it? what settings did you have on?

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    i love these claims without any real information. what card were you using? were you using multiple cards? what game was it? what settings did you have on?
    Though they did not cite examples, it's becoming quite common these days. Virtually no one has 120htz monitors. Those tend to be 3D Monitors. Not in 3D mode they run between up 120-144htz in 2D mode.
    It's only Double the fill rate, not Quad like 4K would be.
    ANY game which does single card - dual screen mode at 1080/60fps will do it at 1080/120fps on a single monitor give or take, which is alot of high end cards these days. My 670 OC 4GB should do that just fine as my 6950 2GB often does 1080/60 and is half it's speed. My 670 OC is no longer a near top end card, that's 2 generations back. The PC cards are all pushing the FPS on Multiple Monitors now. It's wonderful because you really get a fantastic performing gaming performance out of a mid level card these days if you are still on single monitor.
    I was Al Capone
    away once more
    Crazy

Extreme Poster
    right but it matters which games you're getting these amazing resolution/fps on. and if you're running them at ultra/high settings.

Friendship is Carrots
    Probably the more recent, visually-impressive titles such as Crysis 3, Battlefield 4, Farcry 3, Black Flag, Metro Last Light, etc. That's usually the stuff people buy these setups for. Or at least something medium-tier such as Skyrim (although Skyrim with graphical mods can look damn good).
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]
    - [PSN] - [Programmers' Corner]

Forum Sage

Bf4 runs ultra settings 1920x1080 around 90-110fps on my Superclocked GTX780 with my 120hz screen.

I'd disagree with John, a lot of people now have 120hz or 144hz screens. Virtually every PC gamer in my circle of friends has one.

Extreme Poster
    ok so who's getting 1080p/120fps at what settings with these games? we'd need the exact specs and a general idea of what settings/games they are talking about. it seems that people like to cherry pic these stats when talking about the superiority of PC platform.

is it BF4/Metro Last Light/Crysis 3/Far Cry 3 these people are getting 120fps at? UNHEARD OF.

I've seen a guy that had 1080p/60fps going with Crysis 3 and needed a 3x Titan setup. That's ridiculous! but it's also reality.

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BBK.. View Post
    Bf4 runs ultra settings 1920x1080 around 90-110fps on my Superclocked GTX780 with my 120hz screen.

I'd disagree with John, a lot of people now have 120hz or 144hz screens. Virtually every PC gamer in my circle of friends has one.

I encourage you to ask 100 people you don't know about that same topic. You and your friends shared ideas and all bought similar items to keep up with one another. I have to respectfully continue to believe that the majority of gamers have 60hz screens.
    I was Al Capone
    away once more
    Crazy

Dedicated Member
    I was Al Capone
    away once more
    Crazy

Extreme Poster

and what are you getting for the rest of your curren games?

sometimes i have to remind myself that BF4 is a cross-gen title.

here is GTX 780 benchmark.

http://www.techspot.com/review/675-n...780/page3.html crysis 3
    http://www.techspot.com/review/675-n...780/page4.html far cry 3
    Last edited by Omar; 01-03-2014 at 16:38.

Friendship is Carrots
    My cousin gets 50-60fps in Crysis 3 at mixed high-ultra settings (4xAA and 1920x1080) on his GTX 570. His GPU is also a little bottlenecked by his CPU. Many would consider that an outdated and old card at this point.

Turning ubersampling on Witcher 2 still murders even multi-GPU setups. It doesn't mean much. In a lot of modern games, turning something like shading from Ultra to just High/Very High will get you the exact same visuals with 20-50% more FPS. Not even joking. Going from 16x to 8x AA will give off another 5-15fps. Hell, even editing the config of the game can net you dramatically better framerate with no loss in visual quality. You'd be surprised at how poorly optimized the settings are for many PC games.

Most PC gamers most certainly do not have 120Hz monitors. It's still a rough transition. Give it another year or two.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]

20. Likes VayMasters86 likes this post
    Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Went from Exclusive Xbox One title with 720p problems, to pc gaming and rig specs. lol nice.

Extreme Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Went from Exclusive Xbox One title with 720p problems, to pc gaming and rig specs. lol nice.
    it takes one comment for the domino effect lol.

Superior Member

Please go back to the original topic or go discuss this stuff elsewhere.

we all know PC -> PS4 -> Xbox One in terms of power. There is no surprise there.

PSN ID
    Ix_DarkDragon_
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    My cousin gets 50-60fps in Crysis 3 at mixed high-ultra settings (4xAA and 1920x1080) on his GTX 570. His GPU is also a little bottlenecked by his CPU. Many would consider that an outdated and old card at this point.

Turning ubersampling on Witcher 2 still murders even multi-GPU setups. It doesn't mean much. In a lot of modern games, turning something like shading from Ultra to just High/Very High will get you the exact same visuals with 20-50% more FPS. Not even joking. Going from 16x to 8x AA will give off another 5-15fps. Hell, even editing the config of the game can net you dramatically better framerate with no loss in visual quality. You'd be surprised at how poorly optimized the settings are for many PC games.

Most PC gamers most certainly do not have 120Hz monitors. It's still a rough transition. Give it another year or two.
    And people start complaining that games are not running at 120 FPS. (sigh), it was a already an uproar with the PS3/360 where it can't run at 60 FPS. Now that the new Consoles are in, they can run at native resolutions at 60 FPS. I bet your ass people will start whining that it doesn't run at 120 FPS.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by AttackTitan View Post
    Please go back to the original topic or go discuss this stuff elsewhere. we all know PC -> PS4 -> Xbox One in terms of power. There is no surprise there.
    I agree. Dont we already have a PC section for the PC fanboys to beat the dead horse and flex their e peens in? Why derail this thread with that crap?
    Last edited by mistercrow; 01-04-2014 at 00:29.

Friendship is Carrots
    Mod Note: Somewhat late, but I removed a few of the ending posts from the recent off-topic discussion. Please do not let any of the previous posts stifle the discussion of the thread's subject concerning Titanfall of the XB1.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]

Veteran
    The lesson for me is don't post drunk. Some reason got Titanfall confused with Warframe, which is running really well on the PS4 albeit a customized UE3 engine that is showing its graphical age.

Titanfall being a customized Source engine kind of makes this rumor more of a mystery. Source games have no problems with frame rate on the PC, even lower end ones. The graphics are starting to look dated, the devs said they made their choice due to the performance and visuals of Portal 2 on PC and the PS3. Portal 2 isn't an open world game except the last few mind boggling minutes, well, guess the graphics were quite awesome.
    Pacing in wait of Sony's imminent DOOM!...since 2006
    PS4 - The Only Hardcore Gaming Console = All Your Baserape Are Belong To Us

Superior Member
    http://www.polygon.com/2014/1/8/5288...sunderstanding

Titanfall anger is based on a misunderstanding of what the game is trying to do

’s important to remember that most of the people complaining about the "small" size of Titanfall's 6-on-6 player count have never played the game, and many are suffering from a lack of understanding of what Titanfall is and what it’s trying to do.
    I can't speak to the game's launch or the overall package that will be offered when it's released in March, but I've played Titanfall for a number of rounds at a number of events, and the game is amazing. It plays just as well as it looks, and it looks much better than most of its competition.
    There's a reason why other developers and industry folks lined up before and after the PAX show floor was open in order to play. The game is special.
    Part of the reason the game is special is that everyone in a match gets to feel like a hero. There are NPCs to harvest and second objectives to worry about, and everyone has access to a Titan.
    So it's not just 12 players running around each map trying to win each match; it can be up to 12 mechs doing the same or, more likely, a combination of infantry and Titans mixing it up. The game already feels busy, well-balanced and hectic. You get the sense of being in a much larger conflict. The sense of scope that you're worried about losing is more effective in Titanfall than it is in games with twice the player count.

Click the link for the rest of the article
    Granted it's more about the Multiplayer than the single player, but at least they talk about how good the game looks.

Thread Information