Page 1 of 12 111 ... LastLast
    Forum Elder

EDGE: Xbox ONE's gaming capabilities compromised and frustrating.

Here at Edge, we love PCs. We love mobile phones. We love tablet devices.
    Show us anything capable of running a videogame, in fact, and we’ll get on
    board. What we love most, though, aren’t electronic devices that are merely
    compatible with videogames, but those that are made for them. Machines that
    exist for the purpose of entertaining us, interactively, before anything else.

When 3DO’s Interactive Multiplayer console launched in 1993, boasting
    compatibility with Kodak Photo CDs alongside its ability to play games, it was
    a sign of things to come. Game consoles, with their shiny new optical drives,
    became multimedia machines. And who could deny the appeal of being able
    to play audio CDs on a PS1 or DVD movies on a PS2? Importantly, though,
    this functionality was never included to the detriment of the hardware’s ability
    to play games; it was only ever a bonus. And that’s why Microsoft’s Xbox
    One design, which ringfences some of its resources for broader functionality, thereby compromising its capabilities as a game console, is frustrating.

It’s also why it was particularly good news that Sony’s PS4 – a console
    designed with playing games at the core of its agenda – broke sales records when it launched in November.
    It is what we need during a period when too
    many industry watchers have been calling time on the dedicated game
    console, claiming that the future belongs only to multipurpose devices such as
    tablets. We assess the arrivals of both PS4 and Xbox One in Knowledge.
    from the latest issue of EDGE and as usual. on the money once again.

2. Likes mynd , VayMasters86 likes this post
    Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Any many respects, MS needs a good kick in the teeth, although its never too late to sort the O/S out.
    Will be interesting to watch this gen unfold, and the firmware.

Lighter, faster and less bloated, is something EVERY o/s should aim for.

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    It can't be that bad? It's nothing a good fw update can't redeem

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    BilLCollecTTor
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungMullah88 View Post

I guess only time will tell..

Superior Member

PSN ID
    martin_blank
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungMullah88 View Post

EDGE is just being EDGE. It's like when they trashed Killzone 2 and drooled all over F.E.A.R 2 in the same issue. Pop-up controversy. F.E.A.R. 2 was in fact a really good game, but Killzone 2 was just as good and its accomplishments in graphics and art direction were at the time unparalleled on any console.

XOne's not bad at all. It's great, even. It's a great digital media home entertainment center. Beats PS4 all to hell on that point. Frankly, first-party launch games are better, too. BUT, and this a very big BUT, as it stands now, way early days of course, the PS4 has greater potential as a GAMES console. Though EDGE is just trying to whack the beehive with a Louisville Slugger, they are right, there are lots more chains and shackles right now trying to develop for Xbox One as compared to PS4 and visual comparisons of games like Battlefield 4, looks pretty freaking good on Xbox One, looks unreal on PS4, show that off pretty clearly.

The PlayStation camera is a joke compared to Kinect 2. As implemented. I don't know it's potential, but right now, I don't think Sony ever planned to pack in the camera with launch consoles and then took it out last chance to cut the price at price announcement. Because no way if I were Sony would I want to put the PS camera up against Kinect 2. Not as implemented.

PS4's social sharing options are superior to Xbox One's. Getting video out of an XOne and uploaded is a convoluted, less-than-intuitive process with no direct links to non-Microsoft outlets. Of course, XOne's Game DVR works every time and PS4's Share works maybe half the time, at best. I get more like a third the time and I swear sometimes it intentionally hasn't worked when I've had my finest gaming moments.

It's worth having both consoles, exclusives aside, one as the digital entertainment center, one as the monster gaming console. But most people won't buy both, certainly not at these early price points. Thus for the time being it becomes a pretty clear cut decision: do you want a full-service digital entertainment center with nicely working voice control of cable/satellite TV services, reasonably robust Blu-ray/DVD remote function in the companion smart-device app, along with contemporary games? Buy an Xbox One. Do you want the top games machine that isn't a custom-built PC. No question, PS4.

Right now, though, what's selling out PS4 and leaving Xbox Ones available is a marketing guy named Ben Franklin. It's that US$100 price difference without perceived extra value. Sure, Kinect 2, but launch windows gamers aren't exactly the prime Kinect audience. Otherwise the consoles appear pretty much the same but one of them, and from a company that doesn't have what you'd call a minor name in console gaming, is a hundred bucks cheaper. A hundred bucks isn't that much money, certainly not over the life of a console. Everybody here no doubt put a lot of thought into: buy Xbox One, buy PS4, buy both, or both neither one for a while. But we are hardly the common consumer electronics market. The common market is the people who will endure the miseries of Walmart because Walmarts sells for less. Typically, about 4 cents less, but, hey, less, right?

Reversing course -- remember, PS3 was supposed to be your one-stop home entertainment center that also played games -- and going full-on games with PS4 is a bold, risky move from Sony the lasting wisdom of which will not be apparent for quite some time. But pricing US$100 less at launch than Xbox One is indisputable marketing genius. It doesn't hurt since now that it's required, presently PS+ has it all over Xbox Live Gold. Sure, it's almost all exclusively of value for PS3 and Vita but a lot of people who have bought PS4 or are strongly considering buying PS4 soon will retain a heavily used and favored PS3. Four people, five if you count me, will benefit from PS+ Vita features.

Forgive typos. It's a holiday. I can edit no more.
    Last edited by sanfordmay; 01-01-2014 at 12:28.

7. Likes MjW , Captncoke49, Ghost , Christopher likes this post
    Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    I can't see how the Xbox One gaming capabilities are compromised. It still plays games.. no? I think it's way to early to start digging the grave.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    I can't see how the Xbox One gaming capabilities are compromised. It still plays games.. no? I think it's way to early to start digging the grave.
    Well it hasn't been running most multiplats at the resolution and fidelity of PS4, so I'd argue its capabilities were compromised to achieve its broader mission. Of course, like the Wii U, it will have games that people dig despite graphics and there won't be any graves dug given the innitial sales...but the comparison vids/articles are pretty clear on it.

Seriously, this gen...totally knocked me for a loop...I never expected the cards to drop as they did.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Well it hasn't been running most multiplats at the resolution and fidelity of PS4, so I'd argue its capabilities were compromised to achieve its broader mission. Of course, like the Wii U, it will have games that people dig despite graphics and there won't be any graves dug given the innitial sales...but the comparison vids/articles are pretty clear on it.

Seriously, this gen...totally knocked me for a loop...I never expected the cards to drop as they did.
    I'll agree that the capabilities were compromised if this trend continues past the launch games.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    I'll agree that the capabilities were compromised if this trend continues past the launch games.
    Fair call. With all the rumors of incomplete drivers and software etc it's entirely possible the disparity was a result of these things. I guess time will tell.

Forum Elder
    Good point ghost. I'm slightly disappointed the ps4 isn't 60fps every game. If I was an Xbox guy I wouldn't even buy it not hitting 1080 every game, I would switch to pc.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    MS did say something like they purposely didnt go for highest end graphics because they wanted the Xbone to be all in one entertainment device. That right there is a comprimise.How much comprimise only time will tell. As for the resolution thing I'll reserve judgement until we see what these drivers do for the Xbone.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 01-01-2014 at 19:51.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Well it hasn't been running most multiplats at the resolution and fidelity of PS4, so I'd argue its capabilities were compromised to achieve its broader mission.
    MS pretty much said that was the case in the interview that I made reference to.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    snooper71
    Items Naughty Dog
    Cue in the old sayin' "Rome wasnt built in one day"

Nothing FW updates can't fix.

Next Edge issue "X1, best thing for gaming since the invention of water coolers"

Sent from my C6506 using Tapatalk

Next Gen top picks:
    PS4: Infamous SS, DriveClub
    One: Project spark, Forza 5
    Multi: Watchdogs, The crew, FFXV, KHIII

Forum Elder
    Not so sure FW update can fix hardware limitations.

It can fix all the other crap though.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

PSU Technical Advisor
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    Any many respects, MS needs a good kick in the teeth, although its never too late to sort the O/S out.
    Will be interesting to watch this gen unfold, and the firmware.

Lighter, faster and less bloated, is something EVERY o/s should aim for.
    Man, if I had made this post 3 months ago you'd have been up my ass about it lol.

$#@! like this is the reason I dislike Microsoft so much.

Your final statement is something that many people have been saying about Windows in general. Something Microsoft never managed, although Windows 7 and 8 are slowly making headway (ignoring all the missteps associated with 8 for a second). Sure, Windows has to run on an enormous host of hardware configurations and retain legacy support. I get that.

But when you're as big and loaded as Microsoft, with such a huge pool of development resources, at what point does painfully incremental improvement begin to smack of incompetence?

I dont' like Apple either, but atleast OSX is snappy and considerate to its user.

Linux, obviously, is tits.

Microsoft screwed up just about every facet of this console that they really could. Even if they completely revamped the OS, it wouldn't be enough to compete with the PS4 on a technical level. They're trying to differentiate themselves\mitigate their design choices through services, but there's just nothing there at present which can make up for the glaring deficit in gaming.

It's a gulf. Even if it gets better in time, the PS4 will always command a performance and price advantage at the minimum.

Microsoft has the expertise and resources to do better, but they didn't. A gross mismanagement of their talent, lack of consistent focus and 'suit'(execs) hijacking has completely marred their Xbox Division.

I don't like Microsoft, but I like the Xbox as a product and an idea. I don't like their anti-consumer policies and bungling of course, but a gaming scene dominated by just Sony and Nintendo (especially with Nintendo as they are at this second) is beyond unhealthy.

We need another big player and preferably a western one at that to counter balance the interests\focuses of eastern tech companies. Competition is healthy.

Right now, to me, this is nothing more than an NFL linebacker plowing through the meager defenses of a high school jr varsity wheelchair team.
    Last edited by Vulgotha; 01-01-2014 at 19:41.

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style

EDGE: Xbox ONE's gaming capabilities compromised and frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by Vulgotha View Post
    Man, if I had made this post 3 months ago you'd have been up my ass about it lol.

$#@! like this is the reason I dislike Microsoft so much.
    Well we didn't know much about the os back then. Removing fundamental cornerstones of the o/s to replace them with apps is just b/s and treating gamers like a friggin mobile phone user.
    Its like turning a mobile phones phone function into an app.

On the other hand they made the 360 o/s so its not like they have no idea what to aim for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Elder
    if you were just to own an xbox, then it's not been compromised at all.
    but EDGE is a multi-format mag giving it's view on both consoles and they are on the money when they say xbox is compromised in comparison.

PS4 has the better memory, better graphics and its designed to run the sum of it's parts together better. nothing MS can do to OS/driver updates will close that gap. sure, it will have some fantastic exclusives. but in a V's world.... you would not buy an xbox for multi-plats.

20. Likes Rekmon likes this post
    Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Well we didn't know much about the os back then. Removing fundamental cornerstones of the o/s to replace them with apps is just b/s and treating gamers like a friggin mobile phone user.

On the other hand they made the 360 o/s so its not like they have no idea what to aim for.

Honestly, until you use it and get used to the OS, you can't really say how it's treating anyone. I've not had any problems getting around to things I need to get around to. It isn't any less "usable" than the 360.

PSU Technical Advisor

Microsoft really doesn't get the market picture, methinks. They're so busy playing catch up with Apple/Google and obsessing over the "mobile scene" (which they totally could have been a big player in, sans balmer's rampant idiocy) and entertainment side of things. The Xbox isn't really a gaming machine to me.

Just some bastardized fusion of missed opportunities and anti-consumerist angst.

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Honestly, until you use it and get used to the OS, you can't really say how it's treating anyone. I've not had any problems getting around to things I need to get around to. It isn't any less "usable" than the 360.
    Ive heard a enough about friends and achievements to know these fundamentals should be o/s based not app based.

Forum Sage
    People are just as able to click through four screens to get to what they need vs just having to click through one screen. People who only have a choice to click through four screens can get used to that experience because that is the only choice they have -- doesn't mean that it is the best way it can be done.

Clicking through one screen is better/easier and more usable I would argue. I am making an extreme example here (not commenting on how the actual Xbox One experience is -- haven't used it) to counter the point that just because you've gotten accustomed to something does not necessarily equal that it is usable/better, etc.

We're all humans, we love to explore and we learn. You can learn how to use something given the time. That's not the point though..

Veteran

PSN ID
    Cybertox
    Looks like xbox one is really loosing the fight considering all these media.

Superior Member

PSN ID
    martin_blank
    Quote Originally Posted by sainraja View Post
    People are just as able to click through four screens to get to what they need vs just having to click through one screen. People who only have a choice to click through four screens can get used to that experience because that is the only choice they have -- doesn't mean that it is the best way it can be done.

Clicking through one screen is better/easier and more usable I would argue. I am making an extreme example here (not commenting on how the actual Xbox One experience is -- haven't used it) to counter the point that just because you've gotten accustomed to something does not necessarily equal that it is usable/better, etc.

We're all humans, we love to explore and we learn. You can learn how to use something given the time. That's not the point though..
    Take the Blu-ray movie player app, for example. It doesn't ship with the Blu-ray player app, it's not integrated in the OS. Don't download the app, pop a Blu-ray movie into the drive, on the main home screen you just get a generic "play disc" box. Click the box and it recognizes it's a Blu-ray movie, launches the store, goes straight to the Blu-ray movie player app and there you can install it right quick. There are some good reasons for this. One comes to mind, you don't have to push out a whole required system update to everyone just to fix something with the Blu-ray movie feature. You just update the app. People don't have the app, they don't need an update. There's another little thing, as far as I know, you don't pay the Blu-ray consortium the license fee for the movie format if your device can technically support Blu-ray movie playback, you only pay the movie license fee if your device plays Blu-ray movies. If that's indeed how it's structured, MS doesn't pay the movie license for every Xbox One shipped, they only pay for Blu-ray movie player apps downloaded. If you never use your console to play Blu-ray movies, never download the app, MS doesn't have to pay for you to watch Blu-ray movies that you never watch.

The app update issue applies across the board. If you don't have the app, you don't have to update, which saves a lot of everyone having to download an update to fix one silly little thing in one goofy little esoteric app. Or else living with a fairly significant issue in an app you use regularly because MS doesn't want to push out an installed-base-wide OS update just to fix it. The more you can fix server side and dole out piecemeal, the better off you are, and that's a logic that's hard to question.

There's no doubt that, for now at least, unless I've got proof positive multi-platform titles between PS4 and Xbox One are indistinguishable from one another, I'll buy multi-platforms for the PS4. And there are certainly PS4 first-party exclusive titles I cannot wait to get my hands on, but of the scant first-party launch exclusives on both consoles, Xbox One's are in my opinion better. I love Killzone but Shadow Fall is about exactly what you'd expect: not really KZ4, but an offshoot of the series intended to showcase the system's performance. It does that very well and I had to play it because it's KZ canon but otherwise it's not much of a game. It's PS4's Ryse. DR3 and Forza are both much better games. I like Knack, though, but Knack was the family-friendly first-party launch game, not really intended to show off much. On Sony's part though, the digital games are better. Contrast, subbed out for the delayed Drive Club, and the pretty terrific Resogun.

I'm not sure exactly why Xbox One is getting called out so much for its UI deficiencies and the same not inventoried on PS4. For starters, why in the world is there no media remote in PS companion app? I'm sure they'll add it by why isn't it already there? SmartGlass XOne has it and it works really well and it's a remarkable UI benefit you don't have to use the GAME controller -- or voice, in the case of Xbox One -- for everything NOT GAME.

On paper Sony has done a much better job with game video recording. You can more readily share video and screenshots, respectively to Facebook and Twitter, instead of only to XBL or SkyDrive. You get 15 minutes of back video instead of Xbox One's mere 5 minutes. The editing and upload process is far simple and intuitive and faster. But too bad it seldom actually works. Too bad most of the time a lot or all of you most recent gameplay is missing. Also too bad with video you get Facebook and only Facebook and can't copy the video off to flash drive or in any other way use the video besides on the console or on Facebook (no, I'm not counting Facebook video-ripping web tools.) Xbox One video is slower to get saved and set, but once you've got it, it's very high quality and it's yours to use pretty much as you please. The video editor is a pain but don't edit it, save it to SkyDrive, download it to your computer or tablet or whatever, edit it with a video editor much better than either console's, upload it back out wherever you please. Oh, and Xbox One video actually gets recorded pretty much all the time, which is kind of important.

Remote play on the Vita is great. Somebody should have thought of how great it was going to be when they decided not to put shoulder buttons AND triggers on the Vita. Vita team and PS4 team should have gotten together for lunch once a month or something.

The overarching point here is that I don't see two very new consoles, one treading water and the other swimming laps like an Olympian. I just see two very new consoles. There are so many things neither PS3 nor Xbox 360 had at launch we've forgotten most of what was missing and take their existence for granted. Somebody call me next Christmas, let me know how this is working out. If I had to guess I'd say most or all the hairiest launch software and feature issues with both consoles will be fixed by then and people will have a whole new list of stuff to complain about. This will go on for about seven years, so everybody get out their yardsticks so we can take the measure of how much better we are for buying one console over another.

Oh, and I really like our WiiU, too, so there. There are some, a relative few but still, good games. And if Bayonetta 2 really ships first half of this year -- no, I will not wait under water for that -- I will be giddy.

Okay, so carry on. Xbox One sucks! Somebody PM me when that changes to "PS4 sucks!" Or maybe not because it'll just change back again after a few months, tops.

EDGE, oh please, people, EDGE. For 15 minutes 10 years ago EDGE really was trying to do something unique in games journalism. Bits of that lingered on another 5 years or so but today they're just like everyone else only they think you're dumb enough to still believe they're not. They hated Sony for too long not to start hating Microsoft. If they'd instead spent all that time hating Microsoft, no matter how good the PS4 and how truly bad the Xbox One -- you know, even Atari Jaguar bad -- they'd still be hating Sony right now. Did you ever read the drooling, wet-panties description of the Gears of War active reload process -- seriously it was practically Lancer soft porn; 50 Shades of Active Reload, whatever -- in some EDGE review, I believe the Killzone 2 review? Yeah, well go google and read that and then come back here and tell me EDGE doesn't take the cake for embarrassing the $#@! out of themselves writing about video games.
    Last edited by sanfordmay; 01-06-2014 at 14:00.

Forum Overseer
    you're going to lose this battle in the end because relatively, the X1 will never come close to the PS4 in power and while some games may not show that, most games will and some games will show even more.

the problem is that you're comparing it to the 360 OS. an OS that was built 7+ years ago. the 360 OS isn't as good for today's standard.

28. Likes Yungstar 2006 likes this post
    Forum Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    you're going to lose this battle in the end because relatively, the X1 will never come close to the PS4 in power and while some games may not show that, most games will and some games will show even more.

the problem is that you're comparing it to the 360 OS. an OS that was built 7+ years ago. the 360 OS isn't as good for today's standard.
    Most games will, huh? I heard that one before....lol

Thread Information