Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4 ... LastLast
    Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    "seeing what they want to see" hasn't been truer than ever.

i was playing GTAV yesterday and i keep my sharpness at 0 because i read somewhere that this is the natural state your TV should be in. if you go above 0, you are processing it digitally and it's not the original signal anymore.

though it is possible to enhance it by sharpening it up a little bit...say 10 clicks, maybe 15...that is if your TV has like 100 clicks. i had started to get tired of this game recently due to its blurriness. other games aren't as bad, there's a lot of LOD in this game, so i tweaked it a bit, went up to 15 clicks.

all of a suddent, it was like i was watching it in some other resolution but the game itself looked kind of rough. i could tell it wasn't as pretty because it was more rough but it was definitely sharper. so i'm going to keep it that way because it does help a little. though you can easily notice more artifacts that are there due to modifying the signal that any amount of "sharpness" does in an HDTV.

once i get the 1080p, i'm going to remove that sharpness because that's not how you're supposed to look at your HDTV. so maybe people that don't notice the difference between 720p and 1080p even given the right setup and distance, may not have the right TV settings. it's possible people can't tell between just a game with full of artifacts. i can see how it would be difficult to tell the difference.

i suggest people to turn off their sharpness and then look at the difference. because this $#@! is blurry as $#@!. and then look at 1080p movies and see how amazing they look with 0 sharpness.

so i'm fairly sure i'm going to be very pleased with anything higher than 720p moving forward. 1080p would just be the icing on the cake for me.
    You're absolutely right.

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    You're absolutely right.
    hah, i feel that you're not actually agreeing with me in the sense that i'm stating it. you're saying that it's people who claim 1080p to have a difference than 720p are the ones that are seeing it because they think the difference should be there?

3. Likes VayMasters86 likes this post
    Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    "seeing what they want to see" hasn't been truer than ever. i was playing GTAV yesterday and i keep my sharpness at 0 because i read somewhere that this is the natural state your TV should be in. if you go above 0, you are processing it digitally and it's not the original signal anymore. though it is possible to enhance it by sharpening it up a little bit...say 10 clicks, maybe 15...that is if your TV has like 100 clicks. i had started to get tired of this game recently due to its blurriness. other games aren't as bad, there's a lot of LOD in this game, so i tweaked it a bit, went up to 15 clicks. all of a suddent, it was like i was watching it in some other resolution but the game itself looked kind of rough. i could tell it wasn't as pretty because it was more rough but it was definitely sharper. so i'm going to keep it that way because it does help a little. though you can easily notice more artifacts that are there due to modifying the signal that any amount of "sharpness" does in an HDTV. once i get the 1080p, i'm going to remove that sharpness because that's not how you're supposed to look at your HDTV. so maybe people that don't notice the difference between 720p and 1080p even given the right setup and distance, may not have the right TV settings. it's possible people can't tell between just a game with full of artifacts. i can see how it would be difficult to tell the difference. i suggest people to turn off their sharpness and then look at the difference. because this $#@! is blurry as $#@!. and then look at 1080p movies and see how amazing they look with 0 sharpness. so i'm fairly sure i'm going to be very pleased with anything higher than 720p moving forward. 1080p would just be the icing on the cake for me.
    Yeah I've heard people say that sharpness was really there for the composite and component inputs and not HDMI. Dont know how true that is due to my lack of knowledge. Now on my native 1080p Samsung LED I can definitely see a difference between native 1080p games and 720p games from last gen (the ones that actually were). My PS4 games are stunningly crisp. I'm not going to compare X1 native 720p games to it because I dont know how good a job the scaler chip does in X1. I'd have to see it on my tv.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    hah, i feel that you're not actually agreeing with me in the sense that i'm stating it. you're saying that it's people who claim 1080p to have a difference than 720p are the ones that are seeing it because they think the difference should be there?
    On smaller screens like less than 40 inches on down I've heard you dont. But at 40 inches on up you do and more so the bigger the screen.

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercrow View Post
    Yeah I've heard people say that sharpness was really there for the composite and component inputs and not HDMI. Dont know how true that is due to my lack of knowledge. Now on my native 1080p Samsung LED I can definitely see a difference between native 1080p games and 720p games from last gen (the ones that actually were). My PS4 games are stunningly crisp. I'm not going to compare X1 native 720p games to it because I dont know how good a job the scaler chip does in X1. I'd have to see it on my tv.
    i don't even know how a scaler could make it better. maybe 480p to 720p makes sense because 480p is just too small for a decently sized HDTV, other than that, don't know.
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercrow View Post
    On smaller screens like less than 40 inches on down I've heard you dont. But at 40 inches on up you do and more so the bigger the screen.
    you just have to be close enough to see. but yeah, if you're sitting on a couch, you're not going to see a difference. some still may, depending on how good they are.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    I agree in the same sense. Seeing what they want to see hasn't been truer than ever. Regarding your question, no.

8. Likes Omar likes this post
    Forum Overseer
    i'd still like to give benefit of the doubt that most people just don't know the right setup and don't care to either. it may also be that they're ok with 720p so they don't care to know the next steps.

sort of like asking a guy with a DVD collection to go blu-ray and getting a response something to the effect of, "meh, it's not a big deal." a person can just put it off because they don't want to have negative feelings about it.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    I just want some damn footage of new games!

11. Likes Omar likes this post
    Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Hah! I'm with crow on this - there might be visual or technical flaws in a certain game, but if it's fun enough for me, then I'll just straight up not notice them.

Guess why I have a higher tolerance for certain games that the general gaming community just doesn't like.

#IndieStation4 and proud of it.

Veteran
    For one, I haven't jumped on a new console because I'm still on the fence between the XB1 and PS4, and for two, I'm still getting a lot of use out of my PS3 (and I haven't even played The Last of Us yet). I would have a PS4 now if it supported PS3 games but that is another topic...

It will be interesting to see how XB1 games stack up against PS4 games in the next few months. In the meantime, I need to finish AC IV and start TLOU.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    thanatos144
    I am still waiting for someone to debunk the article......Buller? Buller?

tapatalk post

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by Admartian View Post
    Hah! I'm with crow on this - there might be visual or technical flaws in a certain game, but if it's fun enough for me, then I'll just straight up not notice them.

Guess why I have a higher tolerance for certain games that the general gaming community just doesn't like.
    i'm the same way and that's why i don't care about GG and Crytek games lol.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Quote Originally Posted by thanatos144 View Post
    I am still waiting for someone to debunk the article......Buller? Buller?

tapatalk post
    It doesn't give any information as to what it's even talking about. As far as I know, it's perfectly capable of playing games.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    thanatos144
    It doesn't give any information as to what it's even talking about. As far as I know, it's perfectly capable of playing games.
    It gave all the info . The hardware is hindered by software and the gimmicks. It sacrifices game hardware for media gimmicks

tapatalk post

Forum Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by thanatos144 View Post
    It gave all the info . The hardware is hindered by software and the gimmicks. It sacrifices game hardware for media gimmicks

tapatalk post
    lol..that's baloney. It's perfectly capable.

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    lol..that's baloney. It's perfectly capable.
    it's not about capability. it's about the overall resources it has for games. unless you understand that it's not as capable as the PS4 as far as performance goes. whichever way is easier to understand.

EDIT: at this point, i don't care if someone understands or not, what's curious to me is why there is so much confusion when the facts are out there. is it lack of knowledge or just a basic case of cognitive dissonance? or maybe a combination of both. whatever it is, it is very interesting.
    Last edited by Omar; 01-14-2014 at 16:55.

Forum Sage
    it's not about capability. it's about the overall resources it has for games. unless you understand that it's not as capable as the PS4 as far as performance goes. whichever way is easier to understand.

EDIT: at this point, i don't care if someone understands or not, what's curious to me is why there is so much confusion when the facts are out there. is it lack of knowledge or just a basic case of cognitive dissonance? or maybe a combination of both. whatever it is, it is very interesting.
    it's definitely not because it has already proven that it is IMO. very capable.

Forum Overseer
    it's definitely not because it has already proven that it is IMO. very capable.
    very capable at what? lol. playing a game? duh. we're not talking about that. we're talking about, is it capable of delivering performance close to PS4? nope. that's what they're going to look at and why that is.

so yes, very true that it's in your opinion.

i should just start responding with gifs. this is not even worth discussing anymore.
    Last edited by Omar; 01-14-2014 at 17:47.

Forum Sage
    very capable at what? lol. playing a game? duh. we're not talking about that. we're talking about, is it capable of delivering performance close to PS4? nope. that's what they're going to look at and why that is.

i should just start responding with gifs. this is not even worth discussing anymore.
    no, that's what you're talking about. i never mentioned ps4 in my post.

Forum Overseer
    no, that's what you're talking about. i never mentioned ps4 in my post.
    ok, so as long as it's "playing" games, it's not compromising anything. that's not what Edge is talking about but let's go with this logic anyway. /thread.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER

I look at it from an open mind. If the performance gap isn't eliminated in the next wave of games, then I will agree wholeheartedly that the capabilities were compromised from a hardware standpoint.

I have the idea that the One was pushed out to go head to head with the PS4, and developers weren't given time, resources, etc., to push the games out with an absolute parity.

That's my take on it.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    I look at it from an open mind. If the performance gap isn't eliminated in the next wave of games, then I will agree wholeheartedly that the capabilities were compromised from a hardware standpoint. I have the idea that the One was pushed out to go head to head with the PS4, and developers weren't given time, resources, etc., to push the games out with an absolute parity. That's my take on it.
    Yeah thats why I've reserved final judgement on that topic until we see if these drivers I've been hearing about are implemented and the devkits are matured. If after that we continue to see the gap then yeah there will be no more room for debate.

Forum Overseer
    at this point, it is a good idea to just wait. but i'll be coming back to these posts later.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    thanatos144
    I look at it from an open mind. If the performance gap isn't eliminated in the next wave of games, then I will agree wholeheartedly that the capabilities were compromised from a hardware standpoint.

I have the idea that the One was pushed out to go head to head with the PS4, and developers weren't given time, resources, etc., to push the games out with an absolute parity.

That's my take on it.
    How is software going to fix hardware disparities ? The game developer can only use what's there they cannot magically make hardware better. Nor can they make an OS run smoother.

tapatalk post
    Last edited by thanatos144; 01-14-2014 at 20:09.

Power Member
    Items User name style
    at this point, it is a good idea to just wait. but i'll be coming back to these posts later.
    Well, aint that what I said in my last post. People judging these systems on the first wave of games are either...

-Pushing a cause
    -forgetting last gen

While no where near as half arsed as the PS3 setup, the XBO is the more complex machine to develop for, people should reserve judgement for a while yet. I hear the new drivers free up a
    lot of the GPU resources.
    The first batch of games were only an indication of how much of a PC in a box the PS4 is, and how easy it is to "port" I used that somewhat reserved because most of these games were simply migrated not ported.

Until such time as I get a clearer a picture, outside of a handful of rushed launch games, I'll be playing my backlog of 360 games.....mafia 2 for $7 was a good buy from live btw..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Information