Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 ... LastLast
    Forum Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by John Willaford View Post
    Killzone was not downgraded once from anything the developers showed for Shadow Fall.
    Ok. I'll rephrase that. What they initially showed and what we got are not the same. There are some differences. I didn't notice until someone else pointed it out to me.

Ryse was 1080p on High end i7 based Dev Kits only, never on XBO final hardware. You know, much like most of the early games MS showed off when people opened the cabinets underneath the XBO controllers and found out they were hooked up gaming PC's! !!! Do we not REMEMBER THIS?

http://www.slashgear.com/xbox-one-e3...-pcs-15286627/
    Not according to the devs. They said they had the game running on actual xb1 final hardware at 1080p. I even posted a video with the dev talking about it. They definitely improved it if you look at the before and after. I'd say it was worth it.

As for your claim about xb1 being played on devkits at e-3, the console had actual hands on at gamescom plus went around the US on a tour with gamers playing the actual console. It was the ps4 that that people weren't actually able to get their hands on.

Now, it's all about the games?
    Are you playing a Wii then? Because that's been Nintendo's mantra for a year, and you see how they are doing.
    Its been that way for me. Games are the reason i bought xb1 first and will get ps4 later.

EDIT: PS> Sorry, COD Ghost after the patch was running OVER 60FPS, running over 60fps caused ANOTHER kind of stuttering, what a shame, they will have to LOCK THAT at 60FPS and increase the number of enemies or polygons on something, what a shame for us PS4 owners.
    http://www.kotaku.com.au/2013/11/cal...4-is-too-high/
    not a cod fan anyway and i dont expect much out of that series as far as graphics go. I've played it. Its actually not that bad and it looks good on both consoles. The multiplayer is really fun and i can see why its so popular.
    Last edited by Sub-stance1; 12-30-2013 at 07:18.

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitbydeath View Post
    BS. KZ got a massive upgrade from the original footage shown.

http://www.examiner.com/article/kill...uilds-compared

http://www.officialplaystationmagazi...s-on-e3-build/

Nother comparison with more improvements shown

http://gearnuke.com/killzone-shadow-...-gttv-footage/

You're just seeing what you want to see.
    It did not get an "upgrade", it merely got a fix.

All lod [level of detail] problems have been fixed – no more pop ups! -BY ADDING A FOG
    They have added moving mist to the level -looks rad -ADDING COVERED UP THE POP UP
    They have added God rays to the level. All the trees are casting God rays -this did look good, but then it was an effect added because of the fog.
    It has screen tearing but the frame rate is solid-They removed a lot of extra things drawn in the distance.
    Depth of field is back and they have added object based blur -Meh. And again DOF was there to blur some of the distant objects.
    Particle effects seem lacking compared to the latest multiplayer footage

It got a major modification, I even went through that footage pre and post and there was clear removal of foliage, and only large objects were shown at distance. It wasn't an upgrade, just a fix.

They chose to remove the clearer and further draw distance and added fog for the larger areas, its a legitimate technique, but it was not an "upgrade" it was merely choosing to focus resources in places they could.

The best you could say was the game got modified, like all games.
    Last edited by mynd; 12-30-2013 at 11:00.

Master Sage
    So you think no fog is more intensive than fog with ambient lighting?

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    Skinnyjr
    You guys are hilarious

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Quote Originally Posted by sainraja View Post
    In a way they started over....so it will take them time to catch up to all the features that X360 had down the road. Features such as being able to check controller battery on the console should have been there though.

I don't see how they are taking a jab at the Xbox One's OS -- that is how YOU are choosing to look at it and it does not mean in any way that they are full of $#@!.

Edge stating PS4's OS is friendlier rubbed you the wrong way but they are simply talking about Microsoft's approach of having a separate app for features that aren't a separate app on the PS4 / weren't on the X360.

They had more expectations from it [Xbox One's OS] based simply on the fact that it was being worked on by Microsoft. Is that a fair comparison? Maybe, maybe not....but that's not really that important. They are judging the current state of the OS.

That's definitely a given, things will improve over time. That doesn't mean people, journalists, gamers can't talk about the missing features that expected to have. Yes, on both the PS4/Xbox One.
    It is a jab. I didn't say it wasn't true. The base of the ui on the ps4 is definitely easier to use. Start using features, and it no less a cluster $#@! than the Xbox one.

No, it didn't rub me the wrong way. I've spent plenty of time with my Xbox one and ps4 to criticism and praise both where those are due.

Forum Elder
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    Most of that stuff is over exaggerated . The Xbox 360 didn't start out with the UI it has now, and the xb1 will evolve over time as well.
    read the thread tittle and OP then try again. they've had 7 years to fine tune the OS and then decided to regress the 360's OS to the half baked OS the ONE has now.

i can tell you for one, when i bought my Xbox. i expected it to do everything as good as, if not better than the 360 can.

visit http://playerfeedback.net/xbox/ and you will see that its not just a couple of things that are wrong with the hardware/OS. so no.... most of the stuff, is "not" over exaggerated.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Quote Originally Posted by Yungstar 2006 View Post
    read the thread tittle and OP then try again. they've had 7 years to fine tune the OS and then decided to regress the 360's OS to the half baked OS the ONE has now.

i can tell you for one, when i bought my Xbox. i expected it to do everything as good as, if not better than the 360 can.

visit http://playerfeedback.net/xbox/ and you will see that its not just a couple of things that are wrong with the hardware/OS. so no.... most of the stuff, is "not" over exaggerated.
    You had high expectations.

They had to half baked os in the consoles, had to download a new firmware to use the console.

Do you think they are done with updating the os? They didn't have 7 years to fine tune the os for the Xbox one.

Forum Elder
    In a way they started over....so it will take them time to catch up to all the features that X360 had down the road. Features such as being able to check controller battery on the console should have been there though.
    but they should have started from what 360 offered now, not remove it.

Edge stating PS4's OS is friendlier rubbed you the wrong way but they are simply talking about Microsoft's approach of having a separate app for features that aren't a separate app on the PS4 / weren't on the X360.

They had more expectations from it [Xbox One's OS] based simply on the fact that it was being worked on by Microsoft. Is that a fair comparison? Maybe, maybe not....but that's not really that important. They are judging the current state of the OS
    as did i.

Forum Elder
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post

They had to half baked os in the consoles, had to download a new firmware to use the console.

Do you think they are done with updating the os? They didn't have 7 years to fine tune the os for the Xbox one.
    my expectations were 360 done better and the 7 years spent fine tuning the 360 should have been in the ONE, day one.

there is no excuse for spending ten's of millions of $'s improving an OS over the years to then start again by making it worse. Xbox should have made use of all those years and had an OS at least as good.

Forum Elder
    my expectations were 360 done better and the 7 years spent fine tuning the 360 should have been in the ONE, day one.

there is no excuse for spending ten's of millions of $'s improving an OS over the years to then start again by making it worse. Xbox should have made use of all those years and had an OS at least as good.
    I had the same expectations for the ps4. I understand why now though, it's a new system, new architecture, new games. IMO they have to start out with a base OS and introduce features slowly to make sure these features work well with each other and games. Imagine how many hours go into play testing on New FW.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Superior Member

I agree. They should have started with the 360 features and moved forward from there.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisw26308 View Post
    I had the same expectations for the ps4. I understand why now though, it's a new system, new architecture, new games. IMO they have to start out with a base OS and introduce features slowly to make sure these features work well with each other and games. Imagine how many hours go into play testing on New FW.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
    I totally disagree. You should never regress, even temporarily. When you purchase the new model you expect all of the same features to be in place.

There are some making excuses but the fact is that there is no excuse. The features should be there, period.
    I don't need no stinkin' signature!

12. Likes skinny_jr, Justin likes this post
    Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Man Gamer View Post
    I agree. They should have started with the 360 features and moved forward from there.

I totally disagree. You should never regress, even temporarily. When you purchase the new model you expect all of the same features to be in place.

There are some making excuses but the fact is that there is no excuse. The features should be there, period.
    Wait, you're saying some are making excuses, but there aren't any excuses? Features just don't come pre-built into an OS, especially if it's a completely new OS. I guess Sony and Msoft don't have an excuses. Wait, sure they do. Maybe you don't agree with it, but it's still completely logical to have a completely new OS, with features not ready from the previous generation.

There were plenty of complaints on friend activity notification popups with the 360. Now they aren't there, and the complaints are that they aren't there. Can't please everyone. If that comes back, then people will complain that those popups are annoying and distracting, and the others will be happy about it. Meh.

Look.. friends aren't harder to find vs the 360. Parties aren't harder to find. Achievements aren't harder to find. It's all right there. It is different. It isn't any less available though. Maybe you don't like the way they did it this time, but that doesn't make those features gone.

Can you give me a list of features that aren't there? I want to double check it.

Superior Member
    Wait, you're saying some are making excuses, but there aren't any excuses? Features just don't come pre-built into an OS, especially if it's a completely new OS. I guess Sony and Msoft don't have an excuses. Wait, sure they do. Maybe you don't agree with it, but it's still completely logical to have a completely new OS, with features not ready from the previous generation.

There were plenty of complaints on friend activity notification popups with the 360. Now they aren't there, and the complaints are that they aren't there. Can't please everyone. If that comes back, then people will complain that those popups are annoying and distracting, and the others will be happy about it. Meh.

Look.. friends aren't harder to find vs the 360. Parties aren't harder to find. Achievements aren't harder to find. It's all right there. It is different. It isn't any less available though. Maybe you don't like the way they did it this time, but that doesn't make those features gone.

Can you give me a list of features that aren't there? I want to double check it.
    This is the post that I made on the first page of this thread.

Wait, are you telling me that these features aren't available on the One?

Xbox One has no pop-up to alert players when friends are online
    No controller battery life indicator
    No way to gauge hard drive space
    No background music player.

And this issue as well?

You can’t see friends in parties, can’t quickly join their games, and the list no longer
    displays the biographical information that made players identifiable.

That's inexcusable if true. These are no brainers that should have been baked in to the OS from day one. I understand that the 360 didn't have some of these but MS should be going forwards, not backwards.
    The answers that I got confirmed that the items listed in the OP and my post were accurate. I wanted to confirm with others here since I don't have the One.

So I guess I can ask you if this list is accurate. If not, than my opinion is moot because these are not valid issues. If they are valid then it's inexcusable to build an OS without these features baked in.

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    So you think no fog is more intensive than fog with ambient lighting?
    Hell yes, Fog is a DX8 feature.
    It fairly easy to create as well, you just multiply your z (depth) by alpha.
    Last edited by mynd; 12-30-2013 at 21:40.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Hard drive space can't be seen, but if you're low on space, you'll get a notification.
    Otherwise, it isn't a "feature".

The rest isn't there either. So, if you're not getting one based on that, until they update all of that, it's your choice.

Their console was rushed, and maybe that's the reason those basic things aren't in there. None of those issues in the list keeps the games from being played, or the console being used. I'm guessing that was the priority when rushing this thing out. Major Nelson was talked to at the beginning of Dec. about these very same things, and he said basically what I did, in PR terms.
    ‘I had a meeting today about much of this and I can say that things will get better. I can’t offer a timeline of a list of what till be addressed first, but we are aware of the issue and things will get better,’ said Hyrb.
    Personally, more things added would be nice, but haven't kept the playing any less enjoyable than having those things. The last thing I need is a "blahblah is online" popping up when I'm in a race on Forza 5 lol.

Superior Member
    Hard drive space can't be seen, but if you're low on space, you'll get a notification.
    Otherwise, it isn't a "feature".

The rest isn't there either. So, if you're not getting one based on that, until they update all of that, it's your choice.

Their console was rushed, and maybe that's the reason those basic things aren't in there. None of those issues in the list keeps the games from being played, or the console being used. I'm guessing that was the priority when rushing this thing out. Major Nelson was talked to at the beginning of Dec. about these very same things, and he said basically what I did, in PR terms.

Personally, more things added would be nice, but haven't kept the playing any less enjoyable than having those things. The last thing I need is a "blahblah is online" popping up when I'm in a race on Forza 5 lol.
    Believe me, these aren't the reasons that are keeping me from getting a One. They go much deeper. I just can't believe that these basics aren't already there.

Sent via the X!

Forum Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim

It doesn't work that way, dude. Software is built around hardware and hardware goes through some changes. Yes, they are behind in some features here and there but now that everything is final, they can make those adjustments. Its not as easy as you guys make it sound. Software has to get tested and go through certifications just like everything else with the console and the service. Right now those missing features aren't as bad because there are only a little over 2 million consoles out there. Thats world wide too. You can bet MS is working on a update as we speak. It sucks that we didn't get those features but they had their priorities. No way they were gonna miss launch because of a few features. Same with sony.

Master Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    It's not like old fog where it was used to cover draw distance or textures, it is see-thru.

eg.

That is the fog they are talking about and it only exists on some levels.
    All levels still have increased textures, better lighting etc in comparison to the original footage.
    Last edited by Bitbydeath; 12-30-2013 at 23:04.

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Max Payne 2 and Painkiller are both DX 8 but they look better than some DX9 games.

Superior Member
    It's not like old fog where it was used to cover draw distance or textures, it is see-thru.

eg.

All levels still have increased textures, better lighting etc in comparison to the original footage.
    WOW! Is that KZ on the PS4? Holy $#@! is that beautiful.

22. Likes John Willaford likes this post
    Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style

eg.

Ah ha, no. Thats a fairl short draw distance, go look at it when it get long draw distance.

Here is it actual game footage.

Notice it clings low to the ground..gee I wonder and it still removed foliage. And yes its only in some levels, those levels which required dense vegetation and open long draw distances.

I dont know why you are bringing this up again, this was done to death and proven in this thread post...

http://www.psu.com/forums/showthread...=1#post6220155
    Last edited by mynd; 12-31-2013 at 00:19.

Master Sage
    WOW! Is that KZ on the PS4? Holy $#@! is that beautiful.
    Looks even better when playing.

Ah ha, no. Thats a fairl short draw distance, go look at it when it get long draw distance.

Here is it actual game footage.

Notice it clings low to the ground..gee I wonder and it still removed foliage. And yes its only in some levels, those levels which required dense vegetation and open long draw distances.

I dont know why you are bringing this up again, this was done to death and proven in this thread post...

http://www.psu.com/forums/showthread...=1#post6220155

Draw distance is fine, this is from the same level.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    Skinnyjr
    So it has come to this!!!!

Forum Sage
    It is a jab. I didn't say it wasn't true. The base of the ui on the ps4 is definitely easier to use. Start using features, and it no less a cluster $#@! than the Xbox one.

No, it didn't rub me the wrong way. I've spent plenty of time with my Xbox one and ps4 to criticism and praise both where those are due.
    I don't know....I don't see how it is [a jab.] Their main concern was having separate apps for certain things they didn't expect...

He's a consumer for one and I don't think he is wrong to feel disappointed. They set the expectations, by the way. You guys are trying to give/make excuses. A lot of the features that the PS3/Xbox 360 had at the end of the cycle should have been available day one (specially the basic ones that are not.) It's good they prioritized and got it out launch day but that isn't a good excuse for not having some of those features.

Telling him to wait 7 years for them is a bit funny I think...
    Last edited by sainraja; 12-31-2013 at 03:51.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    I don't know....I don't see how it is [a jab.] Their main concern was having separate apps for certain things they didn't expect...

He's a consumer for one and I don't think he is wrong to feel disappointed. They set the expectations, by the way. You guys are trying to give/make excuses. A lot of the features that the PS3/Xbox 360 had at the end of the cycle should have been available day one (specially the basic ones that are not.) It's good they prioritized and got it out launch day but that isn't a good excuse for not having some of those features.

Telling him to wait 7 years for them is a bit funny I think...
    It's a jab because they are being specific about the Xbox One OS while pretending the PS4 OS is "friendlier"; despite the apparent problems there as well. That's why it's a jab.
    I don't think he's wrong for being disappointed. I'm not giving or making excuses. I'm giving a reasonable explanation on how I feel it went down. A lot of the features that were on the 360 at the end of the cycle are there. , day one. Some aren't, some are. It is how it is. I can't see any logical reason that a new OS must have all the features from a previous generation, while building the new feature set as well.

If you can find a console OS that has all the features that the previous generation had, please clue me in.

Thread Information