Latest PSU headlines:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast
    Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    If someone was to ask me how I feel about African Americans, blacks, whites, etc., I'll politely ask them to be specific about who they want my opinion on. Did you mean Jacob? Andrew? Raheem?
    Quote Originally Posted by Black View Post
    Though I really prefer to just call people by their name:

C. "You seem rather displeased with Completely Average's post, dondidit."
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercrow View Post
    Just people. The term is whatever their name is. Joe, Curtis, Bill, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Acid Snake View Post
    wouldn't it be better to just call people by their names? I mean, it makes things a lot less awkward for everyone.

That's only relevant if you know who they are.

What if you need to describe someone you don't know? After all, F34R, you were a police officer, so I'm sure you had to mention skin color or ethnicity when describing suspects.
    Last edited by Ixion; 01-01-2014 at 03:53.

Extreme Poster
    ^yup.
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    No fair. If my parents, or their parents, etc., are from another country, it only seems right that I get to be what they are and what I am. I mean, since there are African Americans, Native Americans, etc.
    that would just make things more difficult and defeat the purpose of grouping things together. also other than for the purpose of history, calling natives "native american" is almost illogical to me because they should just be called Americans lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Acid Snake View Post
    He was serious.

I wouldn't get offended, but wouldn't it be better to just call people by their names? I mean, it makes things a lot less awkward for everyone.
    there are a lot of advantages (and disadvantages) to group things together. It can sometimes single out a problem. some medical problems are race-related. some statistics are race related, also if there's an issue (say economical e.g.) then you can fix it but you'd have to first group the city, facility, sub-culture or race in order to identify where the penetration is needed.

otherwise, we should just call all animals, animals. hey, can you guys take care of this animal in my apartment? you see how that doesn't help the situation right?

Super Elite
    Quote Originally Posted by Completely Average View Post
    LOL, what "WE" prefer to be called.......... for the moment, but that can change at any time and you reserve the right to be offended and call whites racist if you decide to change it and they don't keep up with your new name.

Is that about right..... Negro? Or was that Colored?

Heaven forbid you just be an American and leave your skin color out of it, just like the rest of us. But like I said, you prefer to segregate yourself, and then complain when you feel segregated. And that's the truth isn't it? You want to make a point of declaring to the world that you are not white, but the moment some white person treats you different you get offended, don't you?

But then again, if you accepted that you are no different from White Americans, or any other Americans, then you would have to learn to accept people of other races being able to do all of those little "African American Only" things, like freely using the "N" word without being called a racist.

Truth is, using terms like "African American" is just another form of racism. You use it to say "I'm different and deserve special privileges and I can do things you can't do because of my skin color".
    No. Wrong again lol where are you getting your Ideologies from? Just because one person makes a classifications from whites to blacks does not mean it is right. African American is ok just as black.

My boyfriend.... *yes I said it* Is white. He doesn't like the term Caucasian he is mixed with 4 races that happened to be white. He feels that term does not classifies who he is.

I am Black, Irish and Cuban. I could care less what I am classified as but it just tickles me that you assume you are right about what you say.
    Now the N word was a big negative from people who were racist and assumed others who color wasn't theirs. I don't like the word and I refuse to let anyone call me that name, however I do have folks on facebook calling each other those names to each their own.

I just need you to stop with your ideologies cause they are far from correct.

LOL who are talking about special privileges? Last time I check blacks are doing well just as whites and some whites are doing just as bad as the rest of the world. it's 2014 in a few not 1922 lol.
    Last edited by dondidit; 01-01-2014 at 04:20. Reason: Misplaced text
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] In the darkest abyss I still see you with my perfect sharigan young jedi!

Extreme Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by dondidit View Post
    My boyfriend.... *yes I said it*...
    no wayyyyy!

Super Elite
    Quote Originally Posted by Black View Post
    Why I personally say black is because it compliments white better:

A. "You seem rather displeased with that white person's post, African-American."
    B. "You seem rather displeased with that white person's post, black person."

Though I really prefer to just call people by their name:

C. "You seem rather displeased with Completely Average's post, dondidit."
    I wouldn't go as far to call him a idiot or bash him for it..... Displeased would be the word. it's hard to explain but it just makes me laugh when someone dis-classifies any race. no one knows history 100% accurate...

Once upon a time all 7 continents were connected and was called Pangea. I'm not sure what happened but in the midst every race was their race Now who up and classified what can be called what, confused people obviously. I think white or caucasian to black to african is what someone preference is. You answer to what you feel you are. Just like some of my black friends calling me the n word I correct them quick and let them know!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] In the darkest abyss I still see you with my perfect sharigan young jedi!

Super Elite
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    no wayyyyy!
    lol

Extreme Poster
    I wouldn't go as far to call him a idiot or bash him for it..... Displeased would be the word. it's hard to explain but it just makes me laugh when someone dis-classifies any race. no one knows history 100% accurate...

Once upon a time all 7 continents were connected and was called Pangea. I'm not sure what happened but in the midst every race was their race Now who up and classified what can be called what, confused people obviously. I think white or caucasian to black to african is what someone preference is. You answer to what you feel you are. Just like some of my black friends calling me the n word I correct them quick and let them know!
    technically we're all black. one race. if you want to go back.

Super Elite

That was argued by Science. I can see that but I get why you pose the question. Asians hate to be called orientals I learned that the hard way at the age of 12 lol.

Now it's about preferences you can't go wrong with African Americans or using the word Black. If they say no I am not that then it's whatever at that point. Some people feel like they weren't birth in Africa so they don't like the term and some who are here and is from Africa gets offended when We all call black people by the term. It's allllll about what people respond to these days.

I've had many white people in the past young and old call me the N word. I would turn and say no try again.

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    djpenny1
    not wat the holy book says

Superior Member

I call blacks.....blacks. I don't do the (race/ethnicity)-American thing for any group.

Blacks were once called negros. But they don't want to be called that despite having no problem with the "United Negro college fund" still using it.

They used to be called colored. But they don't want to be called that despite having no problem with the "National Association for the Advancement of Colored People" (NAACP) still using the term.

They don't like the term Black, but have no problem with Black history month using the term. It's not called African-American month.

I agree with others that the term african-american is just a dumb term to separate themselves from others. It's not about inclusiveness, it's about separatism. So much for Martin Luther King's I have a dream that one day little black boys and girls will be holding hands with little white boys and girls. and "I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character."

My problems with blacks has NOTHING to do with their skin color. It has to do with a lot of their mindset and values. They only value the life of a black man if it's lost at the hands of another race. You point out the fact that most blacks die at the hands of other blacks and they try and label you a racist for pointing that out or making any attempt to stop the madness. They even vilified Bill Cosby for pointing out the very same observation and trying to put a stop to the senseless killing.

When they say that, I roll my eyes. A true racist would never try to point that out or attempt to curb such needless deaths. If a Klansman from 1930's could transport to the present day, he'd be elated. Cuz instead of him killing blacks...... blacks just kill each other and decimate their own race without the Klansman's help. A true racist loves the era of self-racial-genocide that is today.

It's pretty sad when a white guy like myself cares more about black's well being than they do themselves. That's not an absolute statement. There are exceptions. But I find it to be true more often than not.

I've been with 3 black women in my life and love my black brother-in law to death. He doesn't pull the race card or look for things to be offended about. He's a good husband to my sister and I couldn't ask for a better dad for my niece and nephews. This despite his parents being racist. They hate the fact he married a white girl.

Super Elite
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatSpaceKoaster View Post
    I call blacks.....blacks. I don't do the (race/ethnicity)-American thing for any group.

Blacks were once called negros. But they don't want to be called that despite having no problem with the "United Negro college fund" still using it.

Negro is a correct term. Nigga isn't it's offensive. Nothing wrong with it Africans in Africa called themselves that.

They used to be called colored. But they don't want to be called that despite having no problem with the "National Association for the Advancement of Colored People" (NAACP) still using the term.

They don't like the term Black, but have no problem with Black history month using the term. It's not called African-American month.

I agree with others that the term african-american is just a dumb term to separate themselves from others. It's not about inclusiveness, it's about separatism. So much for Martin Luther King's “I have a dream that one day little black boys and girls will be holding hands with little white boys and girls.” and "I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character."

My problems with blacks has NOTHING to do with their skin color. It has to do with a lot of their mindset and values. They only value the life of a black man if it's lost at the hands of another race. You point out the fact that most blacks die at the hands of other blacks and they try and label you a racist for pointing that out or making any attempt to stop the madness. They even vilified Bill Cosby for pointing out the very same observation and trying to put a stop to the senseless killing.

When they say that, I roll my eyes. A true racist would never try to point that out or attempt to curb such needless deaths. If a Klansman from 1930's could transport to the present day, he'd be elated. Cuz instead of him killing blacks...... blacks just kill each other and decimate their own race without the Klansman's help. A true racist loves the era of self-racial-genocide that is today.

It's pretty sad when a white guy like myself cares more about black's well being than they do themselves. That's not an absolute statement. There are exceptions. But I find it to be true more often than not.

I've been with 3 black women in my life and love my black brother-in law to death. He doesn't pull the race card or look for things to be offended about. He's a good husband to my sister and I couldn't ask for a better dad for my niece and nephews. This despite his parents being racist. They hate the fact he married a white girl.
    Murder is murder. The news does not fully cover much of what should be covered. I will leave it as that but clearly I know many good people dare I say black lol that have good jobs from managers to ceo's to owning their own business. I cannot speak for the majority cause where I come from everyone was messed up and couldn't point a finger at another race.

Every race has their ups and downs I can go from white, to latin to asian to black and hit the nail right on the head while offending some and enlightening most.
    Last edited by dondidit; 01-01-2014 at 04:45.

Super Elite
    Quote Originally Posted by -Dj- View Post
    Who wrote the bible?????

PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Funny how folks get weird when it comes to "African American". Asian Americans don't seem to evoke any such drama.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

Extreme Poster
    That was argued by Science. I can see that but I get why you pose the question. Asians hate to be called orientals I learned that the hard way at the age of 12 lol.

Now it's about preferences you can't go wrong with African Americans or using the word Black. If they say no I am not that then it's whatever at that point. Some people feel like they weren't birth in Africa so they don't like the term and some who are here and is from Africa gets offended when We all call black people by the term. It's allllll about what people respond to these days.

I've had many white people in the past young and old call me the N word. I would turn and say no try again.
    and that's why we can never get along because people are too afraid to point out a person by their racial title. sometimes these titles can make things easier and sometimes they can be used negatively.

Quote Originally Posted by -Dj- View Post
    lol. what race were adam and eve?
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatSpaceKoaster View Post

good points, they need to change the names of those organizations.

I think the problem is that some Blacks start to feel that these titles have negative connotations, thus why I feel that there have been changes in the past.

I agree with others that the term african-american is just a dumb term to separate themselves from others. It's not about inclusiveness, it's about separatism. So much for Martin Luther King's “I have a dream that one day little black boys and girls will be holding hands with little white boys and girls.” and "I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character."
    i do think it's an incorrect term.

so you're saying all blacks do that?
    we're going off topic but i'll bite.
    Any poor segment of the population wouldn't do the same?

"While there is a correlation between blacks and Hispanics and crime, the data implies a stronger tie between poverty and crime than crime and any racial group, when gender is taken into consideration.[39] The direct correlation between crime and class, when factoring for race alone, is relatively weak. When gender, and familial history are factored, class correlates more strongly with crime than race or ethnicity.[40][41] Studies indicate that areas with low socioeconomic status may have the greatest correlation of crime with young and adult males, regardless of racial composition, though its effect on females is negligible."
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_an..._United_States

It's pretty sad when a white guy like myself cares more about black's well being than they do themselves. That's not an absolute statement. There are exceptions.
    correct.
    But I find it to be true more often than not.
    Alright but that can't be taken as a broad statement.

that's not racism, it's prejudicial of them to do that however.
    Last edited by Sufi; 01-01-2014 at 04:59.

Super Elite
    and that's why we can never get along because people are too afraid to point out a person by their racial title. sometimes these titles can make things easier and sometimes they can be used negatively.

lol. what race were adam and eve?
    good points, they need to change the names of those organizations.

I think the problem is that some Blacks start to feel that these titles have negative connotations, thus why I feel that there have been changes in the past.

i do think it's the incorrect term.

we're going off topic but i'll bite.

correct.Alright but that can't be taken as a broad statement.

I'm glad you corrected all of that and questioned him on some things.

He lost me at black people kill each other lol. He must pay attention to first 48 to snap and anything that isn't the news in his local area. Lockdown shows as many whites in prison from murdering their parents up to the same stuff any other race goes to.

I don't think any race out does any other race in the criminal area. We are all f up in a sense lol...

Naacp is a old organization. They felt like hey since we are classifed as colored lets form a organization to fight the machine.... I get it. It's like unwilling to tear down poor homes in certain districts because they throw the word historic and a part of history in there...

Who dislike the word black? One person does not speak for the Majority of a race lol. Most of us dislike the Nigga word I can give you several movie references as to why we don't like the word. Some of us do like calling each other the word I'll never get it but get upset when a white person say. If you don't like a white person saying it you shouldn't say it or use it in my opinion.

what would be funny if I post the same question about white people and what they prefer to be called. I would never say things to the degree you said it lol. I'm probably the only black one in here who is posting and sees what it truly is across the line......

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    I'd go with Afircan, Because that is their race. But as a person and they live in America they are American. A black American.

PS4 has little to no competition.

Extreme Poster
    I'm glad you corrected all of that and questioned him on some things.

He lost me at black people kill each other lol. He must pay attention to first 48 to snap and anything that isn't the news in his local area. Lockdown shows as many whites in prison from murdering their parents up to the same stuff any other race goes to.

I don't think any race out does any other race in the criminal area. We are all f up in a sense lol...

Naacp is a old organization. They felt like hey since we are classifed as colored lets form a organization to fight the machine.... I get it. It's like unwilling to tear down poor homes in certain districts because they throw the word historic and a part of history in there...

Who dislike the word black? One person does not speak for the Majority of a race lol. Most of us dislike the Nigga word I can give you several movie references as to why we don't like the word. Some of us do like calling each other the word I'll never get it but get upset when a white person say. If you don't like a white person saying it you shouldn't say it or use it in my opinion.

what would be funny if I post the same question about white people and what they prefer to be called. I would never say things to the degree you said it lol. I'm probably the only black one in here who is posting and sees what it truly is across the line......
    i think a lot of those older words to describe a black person is obsolete because it may have been used as a derogatory term. sort of like how mexicans get embarrassed when you ask them if they are mexican. so i sometimes will also hesitate to say that word...and rather would say latino. both are accurate at least.

you say the word "mexican" with something negative enough, you will see the people themselves (who are mexicans) feel awkward about it. it's what i felt for a little while when people asked me what religion i was associated with, i felt awkward saying that i was a muslim or that i was affiliated with islam.

but yes, you're right, one or a few people should not speak for the rest. i've noticed that most people i speak to on a daily basis, don't mind being called black but i have sensed at times that even blacks will sometimes "whisper" the word "black" if they are asking about a person's race. kind of odd right? it's a very complicated issue, hence why i asked.

i think a person disliking the word black may be due to several reasons, i'm sure we can lay them all out, in the end, what i'm concerned with, is that which one of them is the correct term? i think it's black. african american, while i don't have an issue saying, i just don't see how it makes sense. blacks are just as american as whites or caucasians so makes no sense to me.

as for nigga, firstly i don't think nigga is the same as the other word which i shall not say since no one else has yet. i don't see a problem with it, honestly, i get it, it actually empowers the word, if you use it enough....or maybe...by saying it enough, it loses its meaning? i don't know which one is it that blacks want to do. either way, it's just a word, i understand that there are some strong emotions attached to it however like one black comedian (of whom i don't remember the name) said that if you give the name influence over you then it will, otherwise it's just a word.

dave chappelle had a similar vision, which is why i think the man was a brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by mickice View Post
    I'd go with Afircan, Because that is their race. But as a person and they live in America they are American. A black American.
    when someone says "african", i expect the person to have an african accent. but yea, american, black or black american makes sense.

18. Likes dondidit wishes they had posted this first.
    Superior Member
    PSN ID
    KillingSpree0
    Afro-American floated around for a year or two and just vanished lol

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

Indoril Nerevar
    It should be recognized that race is purely a social construct. There is no accepted biological identity for the term whatsoever. Because of this, it's an extremely arbitrary thing existing in an outmoded, classical sense.

Regarding the OP: African-American would be more accurate, but I can't imagine why anyone would really care honestly. I personally just call black people black, wherever they're from.

Extreme Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    It should be recognized that race is purely a social construct. There is no accepted biological identity for the term whatsoever. Because of this, it's an extremely arbitrary thing existing in an outmoded, classical sense.

Regarding the OP: African-American would be more accurate, but I can't imagine why anyone would really care honestly. I personally just call black people black, wherever they're from.
    could you explain why AA would be more accurate?

Indoril Nerevar
    Because African Origin + American Location = African-American. This in regards to America only, obviously.

Extreme Poster
    Because African Origin + American Location = African-American. This in regards to America only, obviously.
    Do you go by your origin before adding American to it?

Indoril Nerevar
    No, and I don't know why I would. Saying I'm an American-American is entirely redundant. If I went to, say, Russia, I wouldn't say I was American-Russian either.

Extreme Poster
    No, and I don't know why I would. Saying I'm an American-American is entirely redundant. If I went to, say, Russia, I wouldn't say I was American-Russian either.
    So if you qualify origin by where you're born then what makes any Black person born here have a different origin than you?

Superior Member

No other group has changed the definition more times of what they feel they should be called than blacks have.

I'm saying most. Why is it when one black person is killed by someone of another race, there are huge protest parades and the media from all over the globe are called in to cover it.... yet dozens of blacks are killed by other blacks on the streets of Chicago and there is barely a whimper out of the black community or huge parades made about that?

Like I said... it matters most to them when it's someone of a different race doing a black person wrong than it is when a black person is doing another black person wrong.

No. You quote a government report. When does the government ever point out in it's results anything that is politically incorrect....EVER? This report is done by government workers (most of which are heavily Democratic leaning) and they always avoid pursuing data or conclusions that don't fit the politically correct mindset.

I'll put it to you this way. You take a random selection of 1,000 black households of a certain low household income figure. Now find 1,000 white, 1,000 Asian and 1,000 Hispanic households of the same exact low income level. Then see how many as a percentage of those 1,000 from each race group turn to crime. I'll put money on it that it's highest among blacks. Why is it that way? It's a breakdown of values in their community. Cuz whites at the same exact low income levels turn to robbing and killing far less than blacks do.

How much white on white killings do you see in white low income neighborhoods compared to black on black killings in low income black neighborhoods? Not much. So saying poverty causes this equally for all races is absurd.

It may not be politically correct, but it's the truth. Bill Cosby even said as much. He said that while white America isn't to be absolved of all responsibility for bad things done to black people, white America didn't force a black man to kill another black man. It's a choice that blacks are making themselves.

correct.Alright but that can't be taken as a broad statement.
    A pretty broad statement... yes. It's not a simple case of a 51/49 split. It's broader than that.

It is racist. My sister's only crime is being white. Has nothing to do with her character or who she is as a person.

Racism is acting on prejudice based on someone's race....... sexism is acting on prejudice based on someone's gender..... ageism is acting on prejudice based on someone's age.

My sister's in-laws are racists because they have acted upon their racial prejudices against my sister for simply being white. Based on my observations, I'm not positive if the father in-law is truly racist or if he's simply doing so as to not rock the boat with his wife and her beliefs. But the mother in-law? Oh there is absolutely no doubt that her's is the real deal.

Thread Information