Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 89
  1. #51
    Friendship is Carrots
    Nerevar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Equestria
    Age
    21
    Posts
    15,581
    Rep Power
    132
    Points
    78,246 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    So if you qualify origin by where you're born then what makes any Black person born here have a different origin than you?
    They don't. What are you talking about?
    Add me on Steam!


    [Forum Rules]
    - [PSN] - [Programmers' Corner]

  2. #52
    Forum Overseer
    Omar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    30,228
    Rep Power
    190
    Points
    103,562 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatSpaceKoaster View Post
    No other group has changed the definition more times of what they feel they should be called than blacks have.
    point?

    I'm saying most. Why is it when one black person is killed by someone of another race, there are huge protest parades and the media from all over the globe are called in to cover it.... yet dozens of blacks are killed by other blacks on the streets of Chicago and there is barely a whimper out of the black community or huge parades made about that?

    Like I said... it matters most to them when it's someone of a different race doing a black person wrong than it is when a black person is doing another black person wrong.
    i don't know, i'd think that it depended on several factors, media for one. is there enough tension that the media can gain something from it? then you have people in place of leadership that will sometimes rile people up. if there is tension, the higher ups will generally take advantage of it, for whatever reasons. you also have to understand that this sort of stuff isn't just one-sided. portrayal of blacks in the media has long been seen as biased, negative and disproportionate. if there's something to be gained, the media will step in. remember 9/11? there is another example.

    No. You quote a government report. When does the government ever point out in it's results anything that is politically incorrect....EVER? This report is done by government workers (most of which are heavily Democratic leaning) and they always avoid pursuing data or conclusions that don't fit the politically correct mindset.

    I'll put it to you this way. You take a random selection of 1,000 black households of a certain low household income figure. Now find 1,000 white, 1,000 Asian and 1,000 Hispanic households of the same exact low income level. Then see how many as a percentage of those 1,000 from each race group turn to crime. I'll put money on it that it's highest among blacks. Why is it that way? It's a breakdown of values in their community. Cuz whites at the same exact low income levels turn to robbing and killing far less than blacks do.
    i'm sure familial background is also what matters but what you're trying to say is that it's race-related, I'm saying that it's not.

    if you think it's a right-wing study then present to me something from the left-wing and i'll read it. i'm sure there are more studies out there. there are republican scientists out there right? the democrats can't have full control of it.

    How much white on white killings do you see in white low income neighborhoods compared to black on black killings in low income black neighborhoods? Not much. So saying poverty causes this equally for all races is absurd.
    you're saying that based on? do you realize that 13% of americans are blacks and out of those, 24% are poor? Whereas there are 77% whites and out of that, about 13% are poor? that matters. did you also know that blacks didn't have rights until about 45 years ago, black didn't have many rights? that also doesn't help the poverty line. when you have that much illiteracy and poverty, this is what happens. guess where else this is true (and far worse)...nope, it's not anyone from the african origin, it would actually be latinos in the south. so there goes your theory, again like i said, there's no difference between any race, it's the circumstances that are. that's what science says. you can go ahead and go against science, it's not going to help you much though.

    It may not be politically correct, but it's the truth. Bill Cosby even said as much. He said that while white America isn't to be absolved of all responsibility for bad things done to black people, white America didn't force a black man to kill another black man. It's a choice that blacks are making themselves.
    i'm not saying that there isn't black on black crime, I'm saying that neither you or bill cosby has shown that black-on-black crime is only exclusive to the black race. that's not true. what's true is that this is happening and it's due to the condition they're in. it's because there's lack of opportunity for a higher education, thus lack of opportunities, thus the rest.

    A pretty broad statement... yes. It's not a simple case of a 51/49 split. It's broader than that.
    so you're telling me that more than 50% of blacks in america don't care about other blacks as much as you do?
    It is racist. My sister's only crime is being white. Has nothing to do with her character or who she is as a person.
    why do you think that they don't want their son to marry a white person? if they told you "because she's white", we don't know if that's racism because we don't know the reason behind that statement. racism would mean that they feel that their race is superior to yours and that's the reason. if they say that they generally think that whites are bad people then that could be taken as prejudice and that can branch into stereotypes. you'd have to literally prove that they think their race is superior than yours in order to call it racism.

    Racism is acting on prejudice based on someone's race....... sexism is acting on prejudice based on someone's gender..... ageism is acting on prejudice based on someone's age.
    no, look it up again. acting upon it means nothing, the actual definition is what i'm telling you.

    My sister's in-laws are racists because they have acted upon their racial prejudices against my sister for simply being white. Based on my observations, I'm not positive if the father in-law is truly racist or if he's simply doing so as to not rock the boat with his wife and her beliefs. But the mother in-law? Oh there is absolutely no doubt that her's is the real deal.
    they're being prejudice against your sister.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    They don't. What are you talking about?
    I think I understand the confusion. My point is that while they can be called "african americans", imo it wouldn't be more correct to do so than calling them blacks. because you don't get called by your ethnical origin first and then an american. blacks that are born here, are just americans. their race is black like your race is white. but their nationality isn't african american, it should just be american or black american. african american implies that they're fresh from africa and just received their green card. i would even argue that once an african comes here and gets their citizenship, they should be called american unless they have a dual citizenship...i guess it would still be wrong because then it would still be whichever african nation they're from and then american. e.g. nigerian-american or ethiopian-american.
    Last edited by Omar; 01-01-2014 at 08:45.

  3. #53
    Master Sage
    Bitbydeath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Age
    32
    Posts
    14,140
    Rep Power
    129
    Points
    41,762 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I don't like the word 'native' it makes it sound like the person originated from the ground.

  4. #54
    PSU Editor
    TotallyNotGlenn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Orlando/Chattanooga
    PSN ID
    LupeOneLeo
    Age
    24
    Posts
    82
    Rep Power
    6
    Points
    1,764 (0 Banked)
    I'm black. I'm part American, part Jamaican, part British. I guess there's a chance that I have ancestors from Africa, but I wouldn't know that.

    I don't care whether you call me black or blue or African American or what have you--as long as you remember that before I'm any of that, I'm a person just like you are.

  5. Likes Malt, Ghost likes this post
  6. #55
    Superior Member
    GreatSpaceKoaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    892
    Rep Power
    16
    Points
    11,113 (0 Banked)
    point?
    None....just an observation.


    i don't know, i'd think that it depended on several factors, media for one. is there enough tension that the media can gain something from it? then you have people in place of leadership that will sometimes rile people up. if there is tension, the higher ups will generally take advantage of it, for whatever reasons. you also have to understand that this sort of stuff isn't just one-sided. portrayal of blacks in the media has long been seen as biased, negative and disproportionate. if there's something to be gained, the media will step in. remember 9/11? there is another example.
    The likes of Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton could get major coverage of black on black crime, but most people don't care so they don't bother to. They are more concerned with stoking the fires of racial conflict than working for the well being of the average black in their community.

    Also... portrayal of blacks was bad in the past, but the pendulum has definitely swung the other way in the media in the last 10-15 years. Now the white man is portrayed as the greedy and privileged perpetrator of the minorities ills.

    i'm sure familial background is also what matters but what you're trying to say is that it's race-related, I'm saying that it's not.

    if you think it's a right-wing study then present to me something from the left-wing and i'll read it. i'm sure there are more studies out there. there are republican scientists out there right? the democrats can't have full control of it.
    It is race related in the sense of black culture. Being black doesn't genetically pre-dispose them to bad decisions, it's black culture in which they immerse themselves that have led to these problems. Calling women $#@!es and hoes wasn't spread due to genetics, that was passed on through an environment of culture.

    you're saying that based on? do you realize that 13% of americans are blacks and out of those, 24% are poor? Whereas there are 77% whites and out of that, about 13% are poor? that matters. did you also know that blacks didn't have rights until about 45 years ago, black didn't have many rights? that also doesn't help the poverty line. when you have that much illiteracy and poverty, this is what happens. guess where else this is true (and far worse)...nope, it's not anyone from the african origin, it would actually be latinos in the south. so there goes your theory, again like i said, there's no difference between any race, it's the circumstances that are. that's what science says. you can go ahead and go against science, it's not going to help you much though.
    It doesn't matter the percentages of poor in relation to their race as a whole. I said take a random 1,000 of poor from each racial group (meaning they are all equally poor) and compare crime rates within each poor group.

    Illiteracy and poverty? We've been busing black kids to white schools to get a better education for decades and even the liberals that pushed for it in the first place have conceded it's failed. It's not the education, it the culture in which they live.

    Even Chris Rock acknowledges all these problems in black culture and the black community in his famous "Black People VS. $#@!z" stand up routine. He didn't blame being black, he blamed black culture and the mindset.



    i'm not saying that there isn't black on black crime, I'm saying that neither you or bill cosby has shown that black-on-black crime is only exclusive to the black race. that's not true. what's true is that this is happening and it's due to the condition they're in. it's because there's lack of opportunity for a higher education, thus lack of opportunities, thus the rest.
    I never said it was exclusive, I said it was disproportionately higher in the black community than it is in other races.

    Lack of higher education and thus lack of opportunities for blacks? Go to the Appalachian mountain region of the United States that has long been the home of low income whites going back over 100 years. It's the biggest concentration of low income whites in the country. They have the highest rate of whites being on public assistance. They have traditionally been low educated and illiterate ....and other than a coal mine, textile mill or a tobacco field.... have had dismal opportunities in life. Since most of those 3 industries are gone or waning, things have never been worse for them. Yet....as poor as they are....are they going around killing each other? Nope. Are they robbing and stealing? Nope.

    Why? Cuz despite being just as poor and lack of opportunities, they don't have a culture of crime.

    so you're telling me that more than 50% of blacks in america don't care about other blacks as much as you do?
    Based on their words, actions and inaction.... yes... I'm saying that. Proof in the pudding is in the tasting.....and the value of a black life to them is as low as it's always been. The killing and crime just keeps chugging along. Some blacks care..... just not enough of them do.

    why do you think that they don't want their son to marry a white person? if they told you "because she's white", we don't know if that's racism because we don't know the reason behind that statement. racism would mean that they feel that their race is superior to yours and that's the reason. if they say that they generally think that whites are bad people then that could be taken as prejudice and that can branch into stereotypes. you'd have to literally prove that they think their race is superior than yours in order to call it racism.
    People don't hate the person for the color of clothes they choose to wear anymore than hating people for the color of skin they happen to be draped in. It goes deeper than that. They see my brother in-law as superior to my sister for no other reason than her skin color. They have made that quite clear and it has been a bone of contention between my brother in-law and his parents for years. They treat his kids differently than his sister's all black kids. They aren't mean to them, they just give the 100% black grand kids better gifts and more attention. It's why my brother in-law limits their exposure to his parents. The kids can sense that something is different, but they aren't sure why. My brother in-law doesn't explain because he doesn't want to poison them against their grandparents. When they get older they can come to their own conclusions.
    no, look it up again. acting upon it means nothing, the actual definition is what i'm telling you.


    they're being prejudice against your sister.
    They don't like white people. It's why we limit our contact with them. You can feel it when you are in their presence. It's very obvious and very uncomfortable. Awkward moment is an understatement.

  7. #56
    Forum Overseer
    Omar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    30,228
    Rep Power
    190
    Points
    103,562 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatSpaceKoaster View Post
    None....just an observation.
    here's another observation. Blacks are the most discriminated and oppressed race on this planet throughout history. There's your answer.

    The likes of Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton could get major coverage of black on black crime, but most people don't care so they don't bother to. They are more concerned with stoking the fires of racial conflict than working for the well being of the average black in their community.

    Also... portrayal of blacks was bad in the past, but the pendulum has definitely swung the other way in the media in the last 10-15 years. Now the white man is portrayed as the greedy and privileged perpetrator of the minorities ills.
    maybe lessened, not removed. look at this:
    Communication and media research suggest that the mass media is an important source of information about African Americans and their image. This public image influences public perception, and is capable of reinforcing opinions about African Americans.[14] Typically, these opinions are unfavorable and highlight negative stereotypes associated with African Americans. Oftentimes the portrayals' very medium, such as television, is the origin of such stereotypes. Television has been cited for broadcasting material that displays an overrepresentation of African Americans as lawbreakers. A study of TV crime newscasts indicated that newscast content displayed far more counts of African-Americans' crimes than that of any other racial classification.

    these are quotes from books that were published very recently. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Represe...icans_in_media so the point still stands.

    It is race related in the sense of black culture. Being black doesn't genetically pre-dispose them to bad decisions, it's black culture in which they immerse themselves that have led to these problems. Calling women $#@!es and hoes wasn't spread due to genetics, that was passed on through an environment of culture.
    that's funny because i don't see any difference in the "white" culture. that's just the american culture you speak of, in general.

    It doesn't matter the percentages of poor in relation to their race as a whole. I said take a random 1,000 of poor from each racial group (meaning they are all equally poor) and compare crime rates within each poor group.
    please read the first page here:

    http://www.rci.rutgers.edu/~roos/Cou...llipssp802.pdf
    Illiteracy and poverty? We've been busing black kids to white schools to get a better education for decades and even the liberals that pushed for it in the first place have conceded it's failed. It's not the education, it the culture in which they live.
    oh really? https://chronicle.com/article/US-Hig...System/140631/
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_privilege#Education

    you know, i didn't realize any of this until i saw obama giving the under-privileged students more access. i'm neutral about ACA because i don't know the goods and bads of it completely yet but things like where students are getting more help, definitely shows how skewed it was before.

    Even Chris Rock acknowledges all these problems in black culture and the black community in his famous "Black People VS. $#@!z" stand up routine. He didn't blame being black, he blamed black culture and the mindset.

    you're clearly not getting it. i have seen this video and no, he's not talking about the black culture in general as you are claiming it, he's talking about the poor class that ends up making wrong choices in their lives, which would go for any other race as well.

    I never said it was exclusive, I said it was disproportionately higher in the black community than it is in other races.
    just as poverty is disproportionately higher in blacks.

    Lack of higher education and thus lack of opportunities for blacks? Go to the Appalachian mountain region of the United States that has long been the home of low income whites going back over 100 years. It's the biggest concentration of low income whites in the country. They have the highest rate of whites being on public assistance. They have traditionally been low educated and illiterate ....and other than a coal mine, textile mill or a tobacco field.... have had dismal opportunities in life. Since most of those 3 industries are gone or waning, things have never been worse for them. Yet....as poor as they are....are they going around killing each other? Nope. Are they robbing and stealing? Nope.
    that's not how statistics work or representation of a population works. you can't take one part of the population and call that a study. you would have to take all the poor whites around the nation (or at least people that represent them fully), have enough sample and then conduct your study. in fact, even then it wouldn't be fair, you would have to first have these whites live in the conditions the blacks do and then have the blacks take all the advantages that whites have and then we can have a study that would help you understand how the culture develops that doesn't help the young. that would show you the full context.

    Why? Cuz despite being just as poor and lack of opportunities, they don't have a culture of crime.
    now you should know that i'm not denying there is a lot of crime in the lowest of the black culture, and it might be more proportionately but i'm trying to explain you why that is and how it can happen to any other race (again, look at latin america), which is why it's pointless to blame blacks for it because singling out the blacks wouldn't make sense as it would happen to anyone in that situation. you're also ignoring the "white privilege" i sourced earlier, I can definitely see being in the states for a number of years. the point i'm trying to make to you here is that if you can hypothesize a world where blacks are as privileged as whites or more (as the opposite is true atm), then include the 100s of years of oppression and lack of rights, power, money and education...something that still isn't fair yet, i have no doubt that whites would be in a similar situation as blacks in this country.

    Based on their words, actions and inaction.... yes... I'm saying that. Proof in the pudding is in the tasting.....and the value of a black life to them is as low as it's always been. The killing and crime just keeps chugging along. Some blacks care..... just not enough of them do.
    i don't have a comment here. i'm not sure how you've come to this conclusion but i think there's not much i can do here, you firmly believe that more than 50% of the blacks in this country do not care about other blacks. i don't know how to respond to that, where to start.

    People don't hate the person for the color of clothes they choose to wear anymore than hating people for the color of skin they happen to be draped in. It goes deeper than that. They see my brother in-law as superior to my sister for no other reason than her skin color. They have made that quite clear and it has been a bone of contention between my brother in-law and his parents for years. They treat his kids differently than his sister's all black kids. They aren't mean to them, they just give the 100% black grand kids better gifts and more attention. It's why my brother in-law limits their exposure to his parents. The kids can sense that something is different, but they aren't sure why. My brother in-law doesn't explain because he doesn't want to poison them against their grandparents. When they get older they can come to their own conclusions.

    They don't like white people. It's why we limit our contact with them. You can feel it when you are in their presence. It's very obvious and very uncomfortable. Awkward moment is an understatement.
    based on what you are telling me, your side of the story and perspective, one can assume that they are racist or one can assume that they are just not fond of the whites due to racial tensions from the past...granted it hasn't been that long since segregation was active in this country. now i'm not trying to make excuses for them, if they participate in that, it is wrong but whether they're just being bitter about the past or do they really believe that blacks are a superior race than whites and that's why their son should not have married your sister, that is a fairly big assumption.
    Last edited by Omar; 01-01-2014 at 11:18.

  8. #57
    Forum Sage
    BBK..'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Bristol!!
    Age
    24
    Posts
    9,664
    Rep Power
    87
    Points
    37,290 (15,799 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I wouldn't call myself African British. The term African American has always made me a bit co fused. Surely a black man in America is American. If he was born somewhere in Africa then he'd just be Ghanaian, Kenyan, Nigerian etc?

  9. Likes Malt likes this post
  10. #58
    Super Carlton
    33x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    SW London
    PSN ID
    JMEWalterblack
    Age
    33
    Posts
    13,434
    Rep Power
    101
    Points
    31,272 (0 Banked)
    Items PS3 Slim360 SlimiPhone 4 BlackGears of WarGoogle ChromeManchester UnitedUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Oh Sufi....what have you started?! Hope this can remain civil for as long as possible!

    Im black from London and im of a West Indian origin, DONT call me African. Never really got that whole African American thing.....its black or white!

    Thanks to Final for the sick sig!

  11. Likes Malt likes this post
  12. #59
    Veteran

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Switzerland
    PSN ID
    Cybertox
    Posts
    4,129
    Rep Power
    60
    Points
    95,216 (4,000 Banked)
    Does it really matter, dude there are other more important things to think about other than how to call a person of a different race. I call people by their names and not by their races.

  13. Likes dondidit likes this post
  14. #60
    Supreme Veteran
    keefy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    The Sock Gap
    Posts
    17,560
    Rep Power
    126
    Points
    58,345 (0 Banked)
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Hows about "American"

  15. #61
    Dedicated Member
    Demi_God's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Icy hot of the north
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Posts
    1,426
    Rep Power
    16
    Points
    7,913 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Why does everyone tippy toe in this discussion. If I'm going to discribe someone that is black to a black guy, I will say he's black. I won't, however, say that he's African American. I kind of think saying that someone is African American is more insult because you can tell they are tippy toeing around the whole race thing. I've never been lectured by any black female or male when describing someone as black. It's not the 90's anymore, we say black now.

  16. #62
    Super Elite
    dondidit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Age
    32
    Posts
    2,218
    Rep Power
    57
    Points
    3,255 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatSpaceKoaster View Post
    No other group has changed the definition more times of what they feel they should be called than blacks have.



    I'm saying most. Why is it when one black person is killed by someone of another race, there are huge protest parades and the media from all over the globe are called in to cover it.... yet dozens of blacks are killed by other blacks on the streets of Chicago and there is barely a whimper out of the black community or huge parades made about that?

    Like I said... it matters most to them when it's someone of a different race doing a black person wrong than it is when a black person is doing another black person wrong.



    No. You quote a government report. When does the government ever point out in it's results anything that is politically incorrect....EVER? This report is done by government workers (most of which are heavily Democratic leaning) and they always avoid pursuing data or conclusions that don't fit the politically correct mindset.

    I'll put it to you this way. You take a random selection of 1,000 black households of a certain low household income figure. Now find 1,000 white, 1,000 Asian and 1,000 Hispanic households of the same exact low income level. Then see how many as a percentage of those 1,000 from each race group turn to crime. I'll put money on it that it's highest among blacks. Why is it that way? It's a breakdown of values in their community. Cuz whites at the same exact low income levels turn to robbing and killing far less than blacks do.

    How much white on white killings do you see in white low income neighborhoods compared to black on black killings in low income black neighborhoods? Not much. So saying poverty causes this equally for all races is absurd.

    It may not be politically correct, but it's the truth. Bill Cosby even said as much. He said that while white America isn't to be absolved of all responsibility for bad things done to black people, white America didn't force a black man to kill another black man. It's a choice that blacks are making themselves.




    A pretty broad statement... yes. It's not a simple case of a 51/49 split. It's broader than that.



    It is racist. My sister's only crime is being white. Has nothing to do with her character or who she is as a person.

    Racism is acting on prejudice based on someone's race....... sexism is acting on prejudice based on someone's gender..... ageism is acting on prejudice based on someone's age.

    My sister's in-laws are racists because they have acted upon their racial prejudices against my sister for simply being white. Based on my observations, I'm not positive if the father in-law is truly racist or if he's simply doing so as to not rock the boat with his wife and her beliefs. But the mother in-law? Oh there is absolutely no doubt that her's is the real deal.

    You know the funniest thing about you whole theory lol. when you can't find the source you blame it on the minority. Aids were blamed on $#@!sexuality because they couldn't pinpoint the origin of what caused it. Robert Gallo the man who supposed to have created it there have been many references over the years about this but he suddenly denies it after saying that he did.

    It's the same as how many white on white crimes do you see. As I said every race does their own stunts. White people control money. From Wallstreet to organization they steal amongst themselves from the stock market. Martha Stewart was cooking with Snoop Dogg on her show and instantly the white friends I have said it's funny to see them two together. You would assume Snoop would be the felon when it's the other way around.

    We are so QUICK to judge when all races contribute to the F up pool.

    Racism should be a law because it just spawns hatred and many people who are black died from just being the wrong color and maybe... just maybe the karma of what all white people proclaim black people today who does what they do on the news is the karma.

    Now your sister likes what she likes and anybody who has a problem with it on both sides of the family is only hurting the kids that they have or may have in the future. Get over it or under it I say....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] In the darkest abyss I still see you with my perfect sharigan young jedi!

  17. #63
    Dedicated Member
    Demi_God's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Icy hot of the north
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Posts
    1,426
    Rep Power
    16
    Points
    7,913 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    I thought aids came from green monkey's o_O

  18. #64
    Elite Sage
    Mael Duin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Age
    29
    Posts
    10,743
    Rep Power
    110
    Points
    14,485 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Meh, for me there are blacks, whites, asians, hispanics etc. I'm not going to make everything sound more difficult or even wrong just because small number of people are offended.
    Man who chase after bus get exhausted, man who run in front of bus get tired
    Man who masturbates in class has firm grip of subject at hand
    Woman who sink in man's arms soon have arms in man's sink

  19. Likes $Greatness$ , F34R likes this post
  20. #65
    Friendship is Carrots
    Nerevar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Equestria
    Age
    21
    Posts
    15,581
    Rep Power
    132
    Points
    78,246 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    I think I understand the confusion. My point is that while they can be called "african americans", imo it wouldn't be more correct to do so than calling them blacks. because you don't get called by your ethnical origin first and then an american. blacks that are born here, are just americans. their race is black like your race is white. but their nationality isn't african american, it should just be american or black american. african american implies that they're fresh from africa and just received their green card. i would even argue that once an african comes here and gets their citizenship, they should be called american unless they have a dual citizenship...i guess it would still be wrong because then it would still be whichever african nation they're from and then american. e.g. nigerian-american or ethiopian-american.
    Sufi, I don't think you read my posts clearly. I said African-American would be accurate for a person from Africa who now lives in America. It has nothing to do with a black person being born here. Not only that, but I already stated that I don't even use that terminology, as I find it to be an unnecessary clarification. My point was a literal response to your original post, in that I was saying the term is simply more accurate than just black, not recommended or needed.
    Add me on Steam!


    [Forum Rules]
    - [PSN] - [Programmers' Corner]

  21. #66
    Forum Elder
    $Greatness$'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    PSN ID
    GreatnessRD
    Posts
    2,924
    Rep Power
    54
    Points
    25,927 (5,000 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Then we would have any Americans, anywhere, ever.

    I'm German-Cuban American btw.
    My wife is Native-Irish American.
    My kids are German-Cuban-Irish-Native American.
    So they're black!


    $Greatness$ Awaits™


  22. Likes -Shafty- likes this post
  23. #67
    Forum Overseer
    Omar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    30,228
    Rep Power
    190
    Points
    103,562 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    @33x lol. trust me, i have conjured up fairly sensationalist threads before as well.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    Sufi, I don't think you read my posts clearly. I said African-American would be accurate for a person from Africa who now lives in America. It has nothing to do with a black person being born here. Not only that, but I already stated that I don't even use that terminology, as I find it to be an unnecessary clarification. My point was a literal response to your original post, in that I was saying the term is simply more accurate than just black, not recommended or needed.
    oh right, my fault, it was my poor attempt at trying to say the black race living in US. i wasn't talking about africans that are freshly here.

  24. #68
    Apprentice
    DarkoStylo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    365
    Rep Power
    14
    Points
    2,677 (0 Banked)
    Didn't read the whole thread but here's my take. If the person was born in America then they are just American. If they were born in African then they are African American.

    I find it hilarious that my Jamaican buddy who is definitely black is called African American even tho he's like 4th generation in this country and of Jamaican decent, while I was born in Africa but because I'm pale I'm just some white American.





    Sent from my Nexus 4

  25. Likes Lasombra, Mael Duin likes this post
  26. #69
    Veteran

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Switzerland
    PSN ID
    Cybertox
    Posts
    4,129
    Rep Power
    60
    Points
    95,216 (4,000 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkoStylo View Post
    Didn't read the whole thread but here's my take. If the person was born in America then they are just American. If they were born in African then they are African American.

    I find it hilarious that my Jamaican buddy who is definitely black is called African American even tho he's like 4th generation in this country and of Jamaican decent, while I was born in Africa but because I'm pale I'm just some white American.





    Sent from my Nexus 4
    That doesnt make any sense at all.

  27. #70
    Forum Overseer
    Omar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    30,228
    Rep Power
    190
    Points
    103,562 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybertox View Post
    That doesnt make any sense at all.
    lol i'm sure he meant that someone who was recently here or where i'd say someone who just has a green card or a recent citizen of the U.S. but yea, someone "in" africa wouldn't be known as an african american because he doesn't live here yet.

  28. #71
    Apprentice
    DarkoStylo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    365
    Rep Power
    14
    Points
    2,677 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybertox View Post
    That doesnt make any sense at all.
    Sorry I meant to say someone who was born in Africa but immigrated to America. Wasn't paying attention

    Sent from my Nexus 4

  29. #72
    Master Poster
    Beast of Bourbon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Blighttown
    PSN ID
    Azrael666
    Age
    30
    Posts
    3,492
    Rep Power
    76
    Points
    11,965 (0 Banked)
    Items DoomPlayStationDiablo IIIBlizzardDemons Souls CoverDark Souls Cover
    America has always been a melting pot for all kinds of people.
    Why not say "Americans" and be done with it?!

  30. #73
    Forum Overseer
    Omar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    30,228
    Rep Power
    190
    Points
    103,562 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Beast of Bourbon View Post
    America has always been a melting pot for all kinds of people.
    Why not say "Americans" and be done with it?!
    right, that's exactly what i'm saying, african american would be a nationality, not a race. black is a race. so calling someone african american (unless they just came from there to US) for the purpose of identifying their race, makes no sense.

    so they should be known as americans and race-wise black. as for, why not just call everyone american? we can't just get rid of the race classifications because it's important to group things overall. like i gave an example earlier, then why stop there and start calling all animals just animals and not by their class?

    hey i have an animal, you wanna buy my animal? ok thanks.
    Last edited by Omar; 01-01-2014 at 19:39.

  31. #74
    Apprentice
    Kawaiius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Age
    25
    Posts
    396
    Rep Power
    56
    Points
    1,230 (0 Banked)
    This conversation could go on all day. White people are goona see it one way and Black people are goona see it another way. I'm black and dont give a care if you were to call me Black or African-American (to me i was born and raised in America so i see myself as an American..period). I have friends that use the N word but personally i dont, and to people saying why we take offense to it when its suppose to be just a "word" is obvious...for people who would use it as just a "word" there are just as many people who would use it for more evil meanings and pass it off as "o it's just a word"..but whatever lol

    To group all black people together as killing one another and pointing fingers at others is just dumb and a bit ignorant in my opinon..your grouping blacks together as a whole and thats not fair..My parents raised me and my sister and we arent killing people or blaming whites for our struggles..my sister is a nurse and i recently graduated with a degree in computer science..and most of the black people i know are good, decent people raised by good families.

    Sure theres areas where blacks do kill each other and point fingers but that doesnt mean the MILLIONS of black people are like that..just because the black people you've encountered may be like that doesnt mean everyone is like that..that goes for every race/stereotype..its plain stupid.
    Last edited by Kawaiius; 01-05-2014 at 16:25.

  32. #75
    Forum Elder
    chrisw26308's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Age
    42
    Posts
    2,622
    Rep Power
    72
    Points
    13,403 (0 Banked)
    I have a black friend and he always calls me "my $#@!" lol.. and I'm white.

    In all seriousness I just say black, there is nothing wrong and it's not an insult.

    Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
vBCredits II Deluxe v2.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2010-2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.