Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 4
    overstepping the mark
    PSN ID
    SHAFT_N_BALLS
    Items User name style
    We are all just humans, brothers

Im English, so if you are not from England then you are a dirty foreigner and i hate you all equally!

Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Ok... I was wrong. Happy?

2. Likes 33x , Omar likes this post
    Forum Overseer

Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kawaiius View Post
    This conversation could go on all day. White people are goona see it one way and Black people are goona see it another way. I'm black and dont give a care if you were to call me Black or African-American (to me i was born and raised in America so i see myself as an American..period). I have friends that use the N word but personally i dont, and to people saying why we take offense to it when its suppose to be just a "word" is obvious...for people who would use it as just a "word" there are just as many people who would use it for more evil meanings and pass it off as "o it's just a word"..but whatever lol
    yeah, that's the key point there. it's all about the context of the word.

To group all black people together as killing one another and pointing fingers at others is just dumb and a bit ignorant in my opinon..your grouping blacks together as a whole and thats not fair..My parents raised me and my sister and we arent killing people or blaming whites for our struggles..my sister is a nurse and i recently graduated with a degree in computer science..and most of the black people i know are good, decent people raised by good families.

Sure theres areas where blacks do kill each other and point fingers but that doesnt mean the MILLIONS of black people are like that..just because the black people you've encountered may be like that doesnt mean everyone is like that..that goes for every race/stereotype..its plain stupid.
    yeah, it's taken out of context because plenty of "white" people (especially the poor ones in South America...oh wait, yeah, we don't include them in the white race lol for whatever reason) killing one another too. WW1/2 was all about white people killing one another. Russians vs Chechans, white people. Serbians vs Kosovo whites. Germans killing Jews, whites. Yes, it's easy to be an idiot and include everyone together.

All of that stuff is a bunch of bologna. in the end, it's about circumstances, not race.

PSU Editor
    PSN ID
    LupeOneLeo
    'Murrica.

Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    All of that stuff is a bunch of bologna.
    Also, I definitely pronounced it "buh-LOG-nuh" as I read this.

Forum Overseer

Quote Originally Posted by TotallyNotGlenn View Post
    'Murrica.

Also, I definitely pronounced it "buh-LOG-nuh" as I read this.
    lol yes the mysteries of English.

Dedicated Member
    Items Scarlett Johansson
    A certain level of classification is needed at certain times though. When describing the dip$#@! that stole your car or shoots up a school, you can't just say "that American did it".
    FLASHIN ON YOU

7. Likes Omar likes this post
    PSU Editor
    PSN ID
    LupeOneLeo
    Bill Cosby may not know it right now, but he actually replied to this thread quite perfectly in this:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/soapbox/cosby.asp

PSU Reviews Editor, Hit Series Creator
    PSN ID
    MelegantPrime
    I think it might have been mentioned but I find it interesting that only Africa/Asia get used to refer to a 'race'. I have a friend born and raised in South Africa but is white. He is living in the US now. Is he an 'African-American'? Technically he is from Africa.

You're white, black or tanned, simple as that. I don't even understand Caucasian. What is that even supposed to mean?

For all the Europeans on the site, is the term Euro-African, African-British, African-German, what? I'm actually curious since this is so American-centric.

Forum Overseer

Quote Originally Posted by Lasombra View Post
    I think it might have been mentioned but I find it interesting that only Africa/Asia get used to refer to a 'race'. I have a friend born and raised in South Africa but is white. He is living in the US now. Is he an 'African-American'? Technically he is from Africa.

You're white, black or tanned, simple as that. I don't even understand Caucasian. What is that even supposed to mean?

For all the Europeans on the site, is the term Euro-African, African-British, African-German, what? I'm actually curious since this is so American-centric.
    your friend would be an african-american because he is from africa. until he becomes a citizen then he's just from that country.

now, if someone prefers to be called something-american because they were from there at one point (preferably them physically), i understand that but to claim that when your great-great-great-great-grandparents were from there and you likely have never even been there in your life? yeah, i wouldn't say that's accurate but you can still claim to be called that, it's still not accurate.

i'm originally from pakistan. you can call me a pakistani-american, difficult to say it but sure. i am a citizen so technically i'm just an american or an asian american or a south-asian american to be specific.

Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    i'm originally from pakistan. you can call me a pakistani-american, difficult to say it but sure. i am a citizen so technically i'm just an american or an asian american or a south-asian american to be specific.
    That's an excellent point. I was born in Germany, and I am of mixed ethnicity. Specifically, I'm German and African-American. Since I was born in an American military hospital, I'm an American citizen. And personally, I prefer to be called an American.

As for the original question, I don't really mind either black or African-American, although I prefer the latter because if I were to go back far enough in my family tree, I'm sure somebody would have been originally born in Africa or surrounding territories.

Forum Overseer

Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post
    Chocolate.
    mmmm. i mean, if it's a girl.

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by dondidit View Post
    ^ LOL at this. It's what WE prefer to be called.
    Interesting topic.

How far removed are you from being African ? Your parents, grand parents ? Does it go back to the slave period ?

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    I am white, and I do not want people calling me "caucasian". I assume African Americans prefer to be called "black". Growing up in Chicago, I honestly never recall using the term "African American". But then again, I always call people by their actual names.

Forum Overseer

Quote Originally Posted by Lethal_NFS View Post
    I am white, and I do not want people calling me "caucasian". I assume African Americans prefer to be called "black". Growing up in Chicago, I honestly never recall using the term "African American". But then again, I always call people by their actual names.
    supposedly it's a PC way to say Black but I find it unnecessary and incorrect.

Thread Information