Page 1 of 4 1 ... LastLast
    Forum Overseer
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Is it Black or African American?

What is the correct term to describe people of African ethnicity that are of the African race? If you chose Black or African American? Please explain your answer.

Elite Member

They're blacks.

People who call themselves "African Americans" are segregationists. They don't want to be just Americans, they want to be different, deliberately separated from the rest of the American population. Ironically, this is the exact opposite of what many of their civil rights leaders wanted.

Martin Luther King's dream was not for all Americans to live in harmony, except for blacks who live in their own little separate enclaves. It was not for all men to look at each other as brothers, except for blacks who view themselves as different. It is strange that a people who was led by a man who preached color-blindness now feel compelled to point out their skin color when referring to their nationality.

Which BTW, if you were born in America, you are AMERICAN, not "African American". You are no more African than I am European.

And as an FYI, there is no "African Race". Not all Africans are black, and not all blacks come from Africa.

This man is African...

This girl is Australian...

So knock off this "African Race" nonsense. There is no such thing.
    Last edited by Completely Average; 01-01-2014 at 01:50.

3. Likes Ezekiel, Itachi , Lebowski , Valefor , Omar likes this post
    Super Elite
    ^ LOL at this. It's what WE prefer to be called.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] In the darkest abyss I still see you with my perfect sharigan young jedi!

5. Likes x_terna likes this post
    Super Elite
    Wait.... Did he say knock off the African race nonsense? OMG help me somebody lol.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] In the darkest abyss I still see you with my perfect sharigan young jedi!

7. Likes MartyRules, x_terna likes this post
    Forum Overseer
    i think the problem is both ways. whites and other races are afraid to call blacks, blacks. they think saying "african american" is PC. it's really not. it doesn't make sense to call someone an AA. because then we'd have to call everyone else by their ethnicity, which we don't and we don't need to.

i have noticed "some" blacks being a little uncomfortable when i call them black. maybe they feel that i'm calling them by their "color" which is not true. people of all races can be pretty much any color except the other extremes of course unless they're mixed...well, we're all pretty much mixed anyway. but you know what i mean. people of my race can be fair or dark. whereas whites can be dark (not too dark most of the time but fairly dark) and blacks can be fairly fair.

but the correct term is still white, black or whatever else race they are. like i'm technically an indian or southeast asian. we are of many different races and ethnicity but we're still indian.

@dondidit. why do you prefer to be called AA?

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by dondidit View Post
    LOL, what "WE" prefer to be called.......... for the moment, but that can change at any time and you reserve the right to be offended and call whites racist if you decide to change it and they don't keep up with your new name.

Is that about right..... Negro? Or was that Colored?

Heaven forbid you just be an American and leave your skin color out of it, just like the rest of us. But like I said, you prefer to segregate yourself, and then complain when you feel segregated. And that's the truth isn't it? You want to make a point of declaring to the world that you are not white, but the moment some white person treats you different you get offended, don't you?

But then again, if you accepted that you are no different from White Americans, or any other Americans, then you would have to learn to accept people of other races being able to do all of those little "African American Only" things, like freely using the "N" word without being called a racist.

Truth is, using terms like "African American" is just another form of racism. You use it to say "I'm different and deserve special privileges and I can do things you can't do because of my skin color".
    Last edited by Completely Average; 01-01-2014 at 02:02.

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by Completely Average View Post
    And as an FYI, there is no "African Race". Not all Africans are black, and not all blacks come from Africa.

This man is African...

This girl is Australian...

So knock off this "African Race" nonsense. There is no such thing.
    that's what i meant to say, the black race from African, which is exactly because i know not all Africans are black. just like not all people from india or pakistan are brown.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    I'm a little confused here....

I've never called anyone a race. People are either male, female, and then age groups... that's just how I am.

If someone was to ask me how I feel about African Americans, blacks, whites, etc., I'll politely ask them to be specific about who they want my opinion on. Did you mean Jacob? Andrew? Raheem?

12. Likes Admartian likes this post
    Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    I'm a little confused here....

I've never called anyone a race. People are either male, female, and then age groups... that's just how I am.

If someone was to ask me how I feel about African Americans, blacks, whites, etc., I'll politely ask them to be specific about who they want my opinion on. Did you mean Jacob? Andrew? Raheem?
    I understand where you're coming from but to make things simpler, sometimes it's easier to group things together.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Skullomainia
    What about a black man from London? I reckon he would be pretty damn offended if you called him an African American..

15. Likes Mael Duin, 33x , Admartian , mynd , F34R likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by dondidit View Post
    Why I personally say black is because it compliments white better:

A. "You seem rather displeased with that white person's post, African-American."
    B. "You seem rather displeased with that white person's post, black person."

Though I really prefer to just call people by their name:

C. "You seem rather displeased with Completely Average's post, dondidit."
    Thanks to Kwes for the avatar and Sylar for the signature!

17. Likes Admartian , F34R likes this post
    Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    djpenny1
    i use the "N" word and my "N" friends say the "C" word

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by Malt View Post
    What about a black man from London? I reckon he would be pretty damn offended if you called him an African American..
    yup, however, i'm sure some would even call them that and some would even prefer that from there.

the truth is that most "african americans" in america or other nations, aren't from Africa (if anyone is confused, think about that one for a bit). otherwise, we shouldn't have the term americans, we should have irish-germanic-american or scottish-british-french americans. you can see how that would get ridiculous very fast.

Quote Originally Posted by -Dj- View Post
    i use the "N" word and my "N" friends say the "C" word
    i do say a lot of derogatory words at home, including people of my race, for fun.

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    djpenny1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    yup, however, i'm sure some would even call them that and some would even prefer that from there.

the truth is that most "african americans" in america or other nations, aren't from Africa (if anyone is confused, think about that one for a bit). otherwise, we shouldn't have the term americans, we should have irish-germanic-american or scottish-british-french americans. you can see how that would get ridiculous very fast.

i do say a lot of derogatory words at home, including people of my race, for fun.
    those "words" to me and alot of others don't get upset people using them.

Master Sage
    Items User name style

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Quote Originally Posted by HellsJester View Post
    Thanks for that lol.

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by -Dj- View Post
    those "words" to me and alot of others don't get upset people using them.
    could you reiterate that?

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    What is the correct term to describe people of African ethnicity that are of the African race? If you chose Black or African American? Please explain your answer.
    Just people. The term is whatever their name is. Joe, Curtis, Bill, etc. But as far as race goes its just black imo. Just as I'm white and dont feel the need to be referred to as caucasian.

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercrow View Post
    Just people. The term is whatever their name is. Joe, Curtis, Bill, etc. But as far as race goes its black. Just as I'm white and dont feel the need to be referred to as caucasian.
    Sure but for the sake of grouping things together. should you be called american or with a prefix of whatever ethnicity/country your forefathers were from?

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Sure but for the sake of grouping things together. should you be called american or with a prefix of whatever ethnicity/country your forefathers were from?
    Then we would have any Americans, anywhere, ever.

I'm German-Cuban American btw.
    My wife is Native-Irish American.
    My kids are German-Cuban-Irish-Native American.

Forum Overseer
    Then we would have any Americans, anywhere, ever.

I'm German-Cuban American btw.
    My wife is Native-Irish American.
    My kids are German-Cuban-Irish-Native American.
    and for that reason, african americans would also be some huge mix like yours so it's all wrong!

i should be considered pakistani-american but even that is ridiculous because i'm only a citizen of U.S., I don't have dual citizenship. so what only makes sense to me is if you are a dual citizen then that makes sense or if you have a green card.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    So what am I then? Just American?

Forum Overseer
    So what am I then? Just American?
    That's the idea. Also you're white. So if we ever met, I would expect you to do white people things. no that last line was not serious.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    That's the idea. Also you're white. So if we ever met, I would expect you to do white people things. no that last line was not serious.
    No fair. If my parents, or their parents, etc., are from another country, it only seems right that I get to be what they are and what I am. I mean, since there are African Americans, Native Americans, etc.

Super Elite
    Items User name style
    He was serious.

I wouldn't get offended, but wouldn't it be better to just call people by their names? I mean, it makes things a lot less awkward for everyone.
    Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.8GHz | Nvidia 660 ti | 6 GB Corsair Xms 1333 Mhz | 1 TB Seagate HDD | 250 GB WD HDD | Windows 7 Ultimate |

Thread Information