Apprentice
    PSN ID
    N0REGARD4LIFE
    Items PlayStationDiceBattlefield 3

Swapping PS4 HDDS: Not the question you think I'm asking

What do I have to do to use a new HDD from a PS4 in my existing PS4? I ask because I think my HDD has an issue and I was just gonna swap out the HDDs and be on my way. I tried this but it kept saying to insert a USB drive with firmware 1.5 or later. I did this and kept getting an error message saying that the update couldn't be used. I now realize that I probably needed the full 800+mb OS on the USB drive but I'm not sure. Can I just swap HDDs and try to use the full OS on the USB drive and have it work, or are these HDDS "tied" to THAT individual PS4? Thanks to whoever can help me out.

Should just need the full update. The hard drive is just an off the shelf laptop hdd for the most part. It will wipe the drive when you swap it, the data itself is bound to the system not the hardware as far as I know, this is the same way it worked on PS3 as well but I believe PS3 could format it on the fly without needing a USB load of the firmware.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    You will need the full update.

Here ya go:

http://us.playstation.com/support/sy...4/new-install/

The file should be 1.52 @ 859MB.

Ultimate Veteran
    You need the recovery fw.the recovery fw is the whole OS.regular 1.5 fw won't work

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    N0REGARD4LIFE
    Thanks guys. Got it working. Things are much snappier now.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    No problemo. Glad you got it sorted.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style
    I remember with the PS3, when the PS3 reformatted the new hard drive you couldn't just put in the previous hard drive, it had to reformat that one again so no matter what you lost everything. Is this the same case with the PS4?

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Quote Originally Posted by Demi_God View Post
    I remember with the PS3, when the PS3 reformatted the new hard drive you couldn't just put in the previous hard drive, it had to reformat that one again so no matter what you lost everything. Is this the same case with the PS4?
    I guess I could take mine out and then put it right back in... see what happens lol.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style
    yea, give it a go and see what happens. If you can swap those out, than that would be freakin awesome.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    I don't have a second hdd to put in there. I'll just remove one, and put the same one back in. Not sure if that makes a difference or not. I'll look around the house and see if I have a spare 2.5 hdd.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    N0REGARD4LIFE
    When I first got my PS4, I noticed the UI was LAGGY AS HELL. Once I updated to 1.5 it was still the same and then one day it just stopped being laggy. Then one night my PS4 just powered off and rebooted with an error message and the lagginess was back along with a "chirp" from the HDD. Swapping the HDDs out really made a huge difference as I now have one in there that works lol.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Spydrman83
    Not to hijack the thread but i didnt wanna start another one since we are discussing hdd's in this one. Has anyone heard anything new on these new seagate spinpoint m9t 2TB drives they announced back on like november 6th?
    Slim PS3 changed to 320GB!!! Launch PS4 with 2TB hdd
    60" Samsung 1080p 240 Hz HDTV w/M1000HD HDMI (PS3 w/Ultra-High Speed Monster HDMI), Onkyo TX-SR705 7.1 receiver with 6.1 surround sound.

Thread Information