Page 1 of 4 1 ... LastLast
    Valar Morghulis
    PSN ID
    SerinousTSE
    Items PS3 FatVitaPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Microsoft considered removing Xbox One's disc drive

http://www.oxm.co.uk/68723/microsoft...es-disc-drive/

Speaking to OXM in our latest issue, Microsoft Studios boss Phil Spencer has revealed that the idea of a "purely disc-less console" was considered as late as mid 2013, following a strong E3 showing for the manufacturer.
    "Obviously, after the announcement and E3, there was some feedback about what people wanted to change," he explained. "There was a real discussion about whether we should have an optical disc drive in Xbox One or if we could get away with a purely disc-less console, but when you start looking at bandwidth and game size, it does create issues.
    I'm glad they didn't go this route.

Forum Sage

It's only a matter of time until consoles are DD only. I just hope when that time comes both manufactures are ready for the increased needs for bandwidth and also that they start pricing their games reasonably. 55 for a brand new game is unacceptable.

Extreme Poster
    weird that they'd do that "after E3"... i was under the impression that this would've been true before the reveal because the thing was practically a disc-less console in concept. it would save them money but it would've made the console much less wanted.

funny how he says that there were "serious" discussions and then they realized...oh wait, those games are pretty big now, doh lol. how long did it take them to come to that part? smh officials.

Super Elite
    Sounds good to me, I haven't put a disc in my Xbox One yet.
    Wish I could have bought a slim, cheaper model, at least had that option.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    If it were purely digital, I wouldn't have bought it. That would have made it an easy decision.

When consoles are purely digital, there are a few things that need to be included in order for me to buy:

A. Broadband speeds. If I can download the game and play it within an hour of release.
    B. Being able to sell the games at a price I choose to sell the game at.
    C. Prices will be $5 - $10 cheaper than physical retail prices.

If all three of those are "in", I'll buy. Otherwise, no go for me.

They better be glad they chose to keep the disc drive this go 'round lol.

Extreme Poster
    i wouldn't care about the broadband speeds. i get about 15mbits and that's fine with me. i can leave it over night.

as for reselling. yes, i want that and i want to be able to set it at what i want it to. however, i could likely be ok with a system that is fair for all parties but it has to be fair.

games being cheaper, they better be more than $5-$10 because it is so much cheaper for them to go DD than actually manufacture the discs and then give retailers their cut. I'd suppose more like $15-$20 depending on the game's value.

Valar Morghulis
    PSN ID
    SerinousTSE
    Items PS3 FatVitaPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    If it were purely digital, I wouldn't have bought it. That would have made it an easy decision.

When consoles are purely digital, there are a few things that need to be included in order for me to buy:

A. Broadband speeds. If I can download the game and play it within an hour of release.
    B. Being able to sell the games at a price I choose to sell the game at.
    C. Prices will be $5 - $10 cheaper than physical retail prices.

If all three of those are "in", I'll buy. Otherwise, no go for me.

They better be glad they chose to keep the disc drive this go 'round lol.
    Spot on. pretty much agree with this. Even though I still like the physical presence of game discs

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    robvandam111
    Items User name style
    Don't forget a HUGE hard drive...I mean huge...

3DS: 4613-6960-4293

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Quote Originally Posted by Serinous View Post
    Spot on. pretty much agree with this. Even though I still like the physical presence of game discs
    Same here.
    Quote Originally Posted by robvandam111 View Post
    Don't forget a HUGE hard drive...I mean huge...
    True lol. At least 2TB.

10. Likes robvandam111 likes this post
    Extreme Poster
    pshh, they'll have cloud. i don't think HDDs will ever resolve the issues. they will need cloud to at least help some stuff.

EDIT: i take that back. HDDs would resolve the issue with more space for the most part but i'd think they would rather want you to use a service they can charge you for. HDD would be more expensive going out the door for them too. they can easily keep the HDDs small and expect everyone to have cloud that would be integrated into the console.
    Last edited by Omar; 01-02-2014 at 17:30.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    pshh, they'll have cloud. i don't think HDDs will ever resolve the issues. they will need cloud to at least help some stuff.
    Huh? What issues?

Extreme Poster
    space issues but i took my statement back, it would for the most part, i edited my post.

EDIT: I don't think they will ever let us sell the copies at whatever price we deem. I think they will either heavily control it, not let us or control it to a good amount. i don't think it will go unregulated. sorry F34R, i just don't think it will happen. you will probably need to get used to whatever system they have in place.

but like i siad, i will bite if it's overall fair.
    Last edited by Omar; 01-02-2014 at 17:36.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    They already have "cloud", the term used for pr/marketing. Where are all the digital games right now? They are on servers, waiting to be downloaded. PR: Stored in the cloud so you can access them anywhere.
    Last edited by F34R; 01-02-2014 at 17:47.

Extreme Poster
    great. i had a response and it is now gone. well, i guess i will respond later if possible. summary would be that they already have the tech to do this but the problem is making people accept it and go with it. like google drive and dropbox, you should be able to read/write data on your cloud space. just that it would be slower so they would need a local HDD (doesn't need to be a large HDD, like less than 1TB) and keep that as a cache space.

this is sort of like what Sony is doing with their digital titles where you can play the game before it's fully installed/downloaded.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    great. i had a response and it is now gone. well, i guess i will respond later if possible. summary would be that they already have the tech to do this but the problem is making people accept it and go with it. like google drive and dropbox, you should be able to read/write data on your cloud space. just that it would be slower so they would need a local HDD (doesn't need to be a large HDD, like less than 1TB) and keep that as a cache space.

this is sort of like what Sony is doing with their digital titles where you can play the game before it's fully installed/downloaded.
    You can, saved data, achievements, etc., all can be saved "in the cloud". You can download that data. There is your read/write.

As far as the play while downloading... it's very limited.

Extreme Poster
    You can, saved data, achievements, etc., all can be saved "in the cloud". You can download that data. There is your read/write.

As far as the play while downloading... it's very limited.
    downloading from the cloud wouldn't be read/write. read/write would mean that you are constantly uploading data (and downloading when needed). this is already happening on a smaller scale like i mentioned google docs/drive or other programs such as that. i think they probably allow more space for money.

i don't know, maybe MS and Sony already are somewhat doing it. like i was saying about Sony's games, you can play them while they're downloading. but you still need HDD for that so if that what you meant by limited then yeah, that's limited because that wouldn't work well if you couldn't save the whole thing on a HDD. i think they can eventually make it to where cloud is your mass storage and HDD is your cache.

but of course, they can also go the more expensive (for them) and easier route and put a big HDD in there. let's just hope that we can get bigger slim HDDs by then. pushing the cloud services on to us would likely benefit them more though.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    downloading from the cloud wouldn't be read/write. read/write would mean that you are constantly uploading data (and downloading when needed). this is already happening on a smaller scale like i mentioned google docs/drive or other programs such as that. i think they probably allow more space for money.

i don't know, maybe MS and Sony already are somewhat doing it. like i was saying about Sony's games, you can play them while they're downloading. but you still need HDD for that so if that what you meant by limited then yeah, that's limited because that wouldn't work well if you couldn't save the whole thing on a HDD. i think they can eventually make it to where cloud is your mass storage and HDD is your cache.

but of course, they can also go the more expensive (for them) and easier route and put a big HDD in there. let's just hope that we can get bigger slim HDDs by then. pushing the cloud services on to us would likely benefit them more though.
    I sure it can be done now.. Madden 25, your stats are being upload in real time, stuff like that. What else do you have in mind? What part of a game would you think they could read/write to the cloud while you're playing it?

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style
    Before the Xbox One came out, during the times where they were going to push for DRM and all that stuff. I think that at that time it seemed as if Microsoft was trying to please EA (Electronic Arts) because everything they did before was clearly something EA would do. Honestly, if any company wants to commit business suicide, just do what EA would like to see.

Extreme Poster
    I sure it can be done now.. Madden 25, your stats are being upload in real time, stuff like that. What else do you have in mind? What part of a game would you think they could read/write to the cloud while you're playing it?
    see i described this in my post and it was wiped away. let me explain how they can achieve this. now i don't have any experience with this so i'm going mostly by basic conept. i'm sure they can do better.

i.e. They could put the boot files on the HDD, boot files would be needed to run the game. While the game is loading, they could start downloading the data that you would need in order to play different parts of the game, sort of like how Uncharted loads while you’re watching a cutscene. They can stream this data as you’re playing.

They could easily separate data into chunks, you know, data that you would definitely need in order to have basic features of the game (and then continue to download), then they could give you chunks of the map you’re about to load up (and continue), you would only be getting chunks of the data of the scripted events that you are playing and the rest can be held off until needed and of course can be downloaded while you’re getting to the next.

They would just need to design their games very differently but I’m positive it can happen. The thing is that this would make the game very modular and versatile but also be more buggy (the same concept applies e.g. having apps). Because you would make the game available without all the data available, something can go wrong…however, I reckon it wouldn’t be so bad since we’re dealing with a console and not a PC so glitches are way less likely to happen.

I think the key word is chunks. They can keep the HDD for keeping that data for temporary use, until you turn on the game again or until you shut off the console or they could just dedicated the cache until you write over it with another game OR they can make it to where you can save a bunch of this data for different games because really, you wouldn’t need much space for this stuff.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    I Don't have the Internet for something like this so there would be no way I would buy something like that. Sadly it will likely be the norm next generation but we are a ways away from that.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Extreme Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by PS4freak View Post
    I Don't have the Internet for something like this so there would be no way I would buy something like that. Sadly it will likely be the norm next generation but we are a ways away from that.
    things can change. but maybe they'll have an alternative? but yea, seems unlikely. what sort of connection do you have?

Ultimate Veteran
    Anyone remember this?

It was the future according to some, apparently.

Extreme Poster
    yes and they also executed it horribly.

Ultimate Veteran
    yes and they also executed it horribly.
    Yeah, with all those 50GB+ next-gen games and... oh wait.

Extreme Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefein View Post
    Yeah, with all those 50GB+ next-gen games and... oh wait.
    lol hey i'm not saying that people really want that or even are ready for it. i think they should've given more options, we're just not there yet.

Thread Information