Valar Morghulis
    PSN ID
    SerinousTSE
    Items PS3 FatVitaPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

New Sony Patent Deals With Adding New Content to Emulated Games

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/01/...emulated-games

A patent filed for by Sony in 2012 has been published today by the United States Patent & Trademark Office, revealing the company's apparent interest in finding ways to more easily introduce new content into classic games being streamed through the cloud. Essentially, the patent describes the ability to suspend gameplay in an emulated game and then introduce new content in a manner that doesn't involve reverse engineering the game's code."Finding new ways to play preexisting video games can increase the longevity of older games," the patent states. "Instead of replaying the same level or completing the same missions repeatedly, gamers often desire new challenges when replaying legacy games. In response to this need, game designers have begun to produce mini-games. Within a mini-game, the gamer can be instructed to complete new objectives or challenge their friends for high scores in a format that was not originally designed into the legacy game."
    Basic examples of the types of mini-games the patent is referring to are limiting the number of lives or amount of health players have when fighting a boss.
    What do you guys think?

Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    I'm for it
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

Racing Game Fanatic
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    Items Title StyleVitaPS3 Slim
    Sounds very interesting, and a good idea if they can pull it off!
    PSN ID: Duffman19864

Twitter ID: Duffman1986

My New Youtube Gaming Channel: Duffman Gaming

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    IF they can emulate the games and systems in the cloud it can probably be done on the PS4 console.

Apprentice
    Rather than adding new content it sounds to me like a method for saving the emulator state. The game can be started in the saved state and not just at the title screen as normal.

This is something which emulators have done for years. I don't understand how it can be patented.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Sularus View Post
    Rather than adding new content it sounds to me like a method for saving the emulator state. The game can be started in the saved state and not just at the title screen as normal.

This is something which emulators have done for years. I don't understand how it can be patented.
    That's not what the quoted text says......

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    This is kinda crazy. Sony's got some sneaky tricks up its sleeves I think. Talking about making PlayStation 4 "the best place to play" and more and more it's looking that way--heaps of IPs, some of the industries best studios, better tech, Vita, Gaikai and 3 generations of back catalog that it seemingly wants to reinvigorate. I'd love some bonus material to O.G Resident Evil, Tomb Raider, Wipeout 2097, MGS.

Still, we'll see what comes of this. Sony patented that dumb ass Move/DS3 control that could snap in half and that will sure as hell never see the light of day.

8. Likes victorijapoosp likes this post
    Valar Morghulis
    PSN ID
    SerinousTSE
    Items PS3 FatVitaPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    This is kinda crazy. Sony's got some sneaky tricks up its sleeves I think. Talking about making PlayStation 4 "the best place to play" and more and more it's looking that way--heaps of IPs, some of the industries best studios, better tech, Vita, Gaikai and 3 generations of back catalog that it seemingly wants to reinvigorate. I'd love some bonus material to O.G Resident Evil, Tomb Raider, Wipeout 2097, MGS.

Still, we'll see what comes of this. Sony patented that dumb ass Move/DS3 control that could snap in half and that will sure as hell never see the light of day.
    I am most excited for Gaikai for its potential. Hopefully it will actually deliver...

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Could that mean they up the resolution to 1080p (like is possible on emulators on PC) and then add in higher res textures as well?

Racing Game Fanatic
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    Items Title StyleVitaPS3 Slim
    Found this article on IGN:

A patent filed for by Sony in 2012 has been published today by the United States Patent & Trademark Office, revealing the company's apparent interest in finding ways to more easily introduce new content into classic games being streamed through the cloud. Essentially, the patent describes the ability to suspend gameplay in an emulated game and then introduce new content in a manner that doesn't involve reverse engineering the game's code.

"Finding new ways to play preexisting video games can increase the longevity of older games," the patent states. "Instead of replaying the same level or completing the same missions repeatedly, gamers often desire new challenges when replaying legacy games. In response to this need, game designers have begun to produce mini-games. Within a mini-game, the gamer can be instructed to complete new objectives or challenge their friends for high scores in a format that was not originally designed into the legacy game."

Basic examples of the types of mini-games the patent is referring to are limiting the number of lives or amount of health players have when fighting a boss.

Sony's patent, which is entitled "Suspending State of Cloud-Based Legacy Applications," would allow for triggers or "snapshots" to be used as the mechanism through which the emulated game is suspended and the new content is then delivered. It also talks about offering games on platforms they were not originally designed for, which is what you'd expect from cloud-based gaming.

Put as simply as possible, "The present disclosure is related to video game emulation. Among other things, this application describes a method and apparatus for emulating a video game that includes generating snapshots that can be used for incorporating new content into the emulated video games."

While it's unclear what Sony would do if granted the patent, it should be reiterated that this deals with cloud-based game streaming. The patent was originally filed on June 29, 2012, just prior to the company's announcement of its acquisition of cloud gaming service Gaikai. Sony has announced it will make use of Gaikai on PlayStation 4 -- including the ability to stream PS3 games to the system, a feature purportedly coming this year -- but it has never given any indication it planned to do more with it than stream games as they already exist.

It's already been suggested this patent could allow for Sony to release games in the style of NES Remix, which offers twists on levels from classic NES games like Donkey Kong, Excitebike, and Super Mario Bros.
    PSN ID: Duffman19864

Twitter ID: Duffman1986

My New Youtube Gaming Channel: Duffman Gaming

Counting Bro
    PSN ID
    gersfc
    Items Protect yourselfFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVAtlusTidusAuronFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VII
    Be interesting to see just what Sony have up their sleeves with this. Still more interested on a release date for Gaikai and just how it will allow players, who have already bought digital ps3 games, access them on the ps4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PSN ID: gersfc

Twitter ID: gers_PSU
    Twitch ID: 19gers87
    Youtube Channel: gers87fc

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by sainraja View Post
    That's not what the quoted text says......
    I read the patent which the article is based on.

Dedicated Member
    Items User name style
    [0043] According to additional aspects of the present disclosure adaptive load balancing of software emulation of a hardware GPU may be implemented. Normally the rasterization of each line would be assigned to a different thread. However, each line could have a different number of pixels. The emulator doesn't always know how many pixels are needed for each scan line of the screen. So it's difficult to load balance the emulation of the rasterization. To overcome this, the GPU software emulation uses tile-based rasterization. In this type of rasterization small tiles of the screen can be rasterized as opposed to the entire screen. A thread can be assigned to the rasterization of each tile. Tile-based rasterization is efficient for threading because it allows for prediction of how many pixels need to be processed. The emulator can set how many pixels are in each tile and that makes it much easier to load balance since it is known a priori how many pixels are in each tile. It is easier to load balance the rasterization of the tiles than to load balance the lines.

[0044] According to additional aspects of the present disclosure in a cloud-based emulation of legacy games it is desirable to run threads independently while reducing latency because the games are going to be served over the cloud. It is desirable to reduce latency within each instance of a game and to reduce latencies when there are multiple instances of the same game on a given server. One source of latency is due to the fact the emulation of the GPU is not currently synchronized with emulation of everything else. Buffering a lot of commands before GPU starts can produce 15 to 30 ms of latency. In order to fix this, the emulator may save time by running things in parallel. For example, the emulator may run GPU emulation in parallel with the CPU emulator. Nominal GPU latency variance may be 20-30 ms. There is also an encoder latency, which has to start about 6 ms after GPU. However, 20 ms of latency may be saved by actually delaying the start of the GPU until after the CPU has processed the first few sets of frames. Certain types of CPU (e.g., the EE on the PS2) may finish the processing of these frames in 10-12 ms. By buffering the CPU output and waiting until it is done before sending the output to the GPU the GPU can be provide with a lot of work that can be run in parallel with the CPU's processing of the next group of frames.

This is pretty interesting, the GPU will use tile based rasterisation, and they may use parrallell gpu and cpu emulation in some cases, but not in others, such as EE engine with PS2.
    You can't be serious with the 30 megabyte signature... ~ Staff

Maths is biased! It keeps telling me the PS4 is 50% more powerful than XboxOne!
    Great song, should have more views :'(

SHIMAASAAAANIIII!!!!!
    http://i.imgur.com/bP50xuM.png

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    Um maybe they are adding ads? Just my two cents

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Effekt
    Items Metal Gear SolidTommy VercettiLegend of ZeldaBlizzardAtlus
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungMullah88 View Post
    Um maybe they are adding ads? Just my two cents

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
    Lol that would suck

Veteran
    The Consumer Electronics Show 2014 is next week. Kaz is giving the Sony keynote press conference. While CES spun off E3 many years ago to have its primary theme being consumer electronics, there is still a large part of CES that is video games and that part has grown the past two years, especially after asking MS to not give keynotes anymore (or as MS puts it, they decided on their own to quit giving CES keynotes and have their own show, just like Apple).

ND announcement 1/6
    Kaz keynote 1/7

Good chance Gaikai is going to come up, since "cloud computing" is crossing all consumer electronics devices as well as videogame consoles.
    Pacing in wait of Sony's imminent DOOM!...since 2006
    PS4 - The Only Hardcore Gaming Console = All Your Baserape Are Belong To Us

Thread Information