Results 1 to 25 of 25
  1. #1
    Superior Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    583
    Rep Power
    8
    Points
    9,797 (0 Banked)

    Elder Scrolls Online: Press Predicts it Disaster

    http://www.hardcoregamer.com/2014/01...isaster/68236/

    I believe Forbe also said it would be disaster.

    Has anyone played Beta and provide some insight?

  2. #2
    Miqo'te Bard
    Yuuichi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    8,043
    Rep Power
    75
    Points
    15,588 (0 Banked)
    Items New User TitleProtect yourselfFull Metal AlchemistFangDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverBattlefield 3Title StyleUser name style
    it sucks plain and simple. It is literally just Elder Scrolls put online, meaning they added little to the combat. Combat which should be a major driver of MMO is as bland as GW 1 combat system. You choose 7 actions and use them. Thats it. they added nothing to it. lore...meh not much there. this company read to many forums with fans saying "zomg wish this had multiplayer" and thought to themselves "fans wish it so lets make an MMO and rank in the cash. Do anything different haha nope." Picture your companion in Skyrim being played by a person and bam you got the ESO experience and save yourself a monthly fee.

    And that is why the game will bombe is monthly fees. PSN and pc users get luck because they do not have to have anything extra, meaning no ps+ to play it, but Xbox lol another MS ploy to get you to buy gold. Oh did I forget to mention everyone is on thier own servers so pc, ps4, and xbox users will NEVER interact with each other. Thats a shame, whos to blame? Well some say MS because they do not want it(see why FFXIV is never going to be on Xbox one), but then why not ps4 and pc interact?

    the only glimpse of hope this game had was f2p and they blew that. It will either belly up or go f2p in a year.

  3. #3
    Administrator
    Ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Posts
    12,781
    Rep Power
    132
    Points
    6,546,357 (100,956 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    I saw a tweet on GAF this morning, which was subsequently deleted, stating that development had cost $200 million so far. If that's true...and it's as bad as people say...

  4. #4
    Extreme Poster
    mistercrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Texas
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Posts
    25,535
    Rep Power
    166
    Points
    169,417 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Yeah I'm not paying 15 bucks a month. I'll wait till it becomes F2P. Which I think it will because console gamers aren't going to pay that on top of having to pay to play their other games online.

  5. #5
    Trying not to break stuff...
    DarkVincent07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Sydney
    Age
    22
    Posts
    17,316
    Rep Power
    107
    Points
    48,334 (0 Banked)
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Id rather buy it for $100 and have no subscription fee

  6. #6
    Supreme Veteran
    keefy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    The Sock Gap
    Posts
    17,691
    Rep Power
    126
    Points
    60,308 (0 Banked)
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I jsut signed up for the beta. Might get chosen, might not.

  7. #7
    Superior Member
    Locomotive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    PSN ID
    Dude-in-the-Room
    Posts
    895
    Rep Power
    21
    Points
    8,871 (0 Banked)
    Items Led ZeppelinDreamcastDead NationArnold SchwarzneggerUser name style
    I played the Beta and anyone who talks about the gameplay hasn't played it...b/c you're not suppose to and you should respect those terms.

    All I will say I had a lot of fun with it. You actually have to aim when using spells and bows and whatnot...so it's a nice change from the constant WOW I've been playing with my girlfriend for the past year or so.

    Gawd....it's time for a new MMO.

  8. #8
    Elite Member
    billm0066's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,522
    Rep Power
    62
    Points
    8,827 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Locomotive View Post
    I played the Beta and anyone who talks about the gameplay hasn't played it...b/c you're not suppose to and you should respect those terms.

    All I will say I had a lot of fun with it. You actually have to aim when using spells and bows and whatnot...so it's a nice change from the constant WOW I've been playing with my girlfriend for the past year or so.

    Gawd....it's time for a new MMO.
    Talk about a contradiction. You're not suppose to talk about it but you just did lol. Nice job.

  9. #9
    Supreme Veteran
    keefy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    The Sock Gap
    Posts
    17,691
    Rep Power
    126
    Points
    60,308 (0 Banked)
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    The NDA is just to cover their asses so they can get youtube and such places to take down any videos and so gaming websites/magazines cannot report on the gameplay without fear f being sued.

  10. #10
    Miqo'te Bard
    Yuuichi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    8,043
    Rep Power
    75
    Points
    15,588 (0 Banked)
    Items New User TitleProtect yourselfFull Metal AlchemistFangDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverBattlefield 3Title StyleUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Locomotive View Post
    I played the Beta and anyone who talks about the gameplay hasn't played it...b/c you're not suppose to and you should respect those terms.

    All I will say I had a lot of fun with it. You actually have to aim when using spells and bows and whatnot...so it's a nice change from the constant WOW I've been playing with my girlfriend for the past year or so.

    Gawd....it's time for a new MMO.
    Don't give two shots about some nda many people are talking about it who have played it they just don't want videos hence your email spammed across the screen so they know who you are. I played it and gave my opinion. Which is shared by many.
    I have twitter to https://twitter.com/GamerYuichi , Also started youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMu7yRGCz8QrTyxaNVR3Tqw I don't always twitch, but when I can you can find my noobness http://www.twitch.tv/yuichimccry,




  11. #11
    Dedicated Member
    Demi_God's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Icy hot of the north
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Posts
    1,426
    Rep Power
    17
    Points
    7,913 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Locomotive View Post
    I played the Beta and anyone who talks about the gameplay hasn't played it...b/c you're not suppose to and you should respect those terms.

    All I will say I had a lot of fun with it. You actually have to aim when using spells and bows and whatnot...so it's a nice change from the constant WOW I've been playing with my girlfriend for the past year or so.

    Gawd....it's time for a new MMO.
    when you say it like that, it reminds me of a game that flopped pretty hard and it was download only...Darkfall. o_O

  12. #12
    Forum Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    31
    Posts
    8,409
    Rep Power
    102
    Points
    1,627 (0 Banked)
    My problem with Elders Scroll is the bland artistic style. I know the game takes place during what can be perceived as some sort of dark ages and whatnot but damn. Does it have to look like Bethesda, Maryland, where the company is headquartered? The games look way too baked to me and quite frankly, it's a major turnoff. It's a shame that it takes a robust modding community to make it look any different than blah.

  13. Likes D3seeker likes this post
  14. #13
    Master Poster
    RedOrb_Collector's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Age
    26
    Posts
    3,010
    Rep Power
    105
    Points
    14,310 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    It looked like utter $#@! from the start of the first trailer at E3.

    Also, $#@! subscription games. I hope it crashes and burns.

  15. #14
    Superior Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    583
    Rep Power
    8
    Points
    9,797 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Locomotive View Post
    I played the Beta and anyone who talks about the gameplay hasn't played it...b/c you're not suppose to and you should respect those terms.

    All I will say I had a lot of fun with it. You actually have to aim when using spells and bows and whatnot...so it's a nice change from the constant WOW I've been playing with my girlfriend for the past year or so.

    Gawd....it's time for a new MMO.
    Good to hear. Could you tell us when you did the beta? I've heard negative things about animation and combat mechanics. I'd like to see if those are fixed.

    Quote Originally Posted by Yuuichi View Post
    Don't give two shots about some nda many people are talking about it who have played it they just don't want videos hence your email spammed across the screen so they know who you are. I played it and gave my opinion. Which is shared by many.
    Could you elaborate your opinion? You made strong statements, but have not described exactly why. Is it gameplay mechanic? Also, I would appreciate it if you could explain when you played in beta.

    I would be one of those people who would be happy with Skyrim Co-Op or PvP, so if you tell me combat is good, I would be completely be OK with the sub.

    Btw, if you are playing FFXIV, I do not see how sub is a big deal.

  16. #15
    Miqo'te Bard
    Yuuichi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    8,043
    Rep Power
    75
    Points
    15,588 (0 Banked)
    Items New User TitleProtect yourselfFull Metal AlchemistFangDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverBattlefield 3Title StyleUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by AttackTitan View Post

    Could you elaborate your opinion? You made strong statements, but have not described exactly why. Is it gameplay mechanic? Also, I would appreciate it if you could explain when you played in beta.

    I would be one of those people who would be happy with Skyrim Co-Op or PvP, so if you tell me combat is good, I would be completely be OK with the sub.

    Btw, if you are playing FFXIV, I do not see how sub is a big deal.
    I played recent beta. The combat is literally the exact same as all Elder Scrolls with the exception you have number keys with abilities. it just screams lazyness from the devs. How this game has cost over 200 million is beyond me because the combat is just cut and paste with adding in the bar, and the mobs are similar. it is Elder scrolls combat so if you love elder scrolls combat then this is for you, but lets be honest their combat system sucks Elder scrolls is about the lore and randomness of games. As for the sub part there is a big difference between FFXIV and ESO. FFXIV feels like an MMO, it is not something I can really put into words. ESO feels like I am just playing an elder scroll game with a bunch of extra people running around.

    More so about the sub look at DCUO. They went the f2p route and made millions. The people behind ESO are throwing in a sub hoping the game will do well based on just the ES name alone. This is a game that is better suited the F2P model than a sub model.

  17. #16
    Superior Member
    Locomotive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    PSN ID
    Dude-in-the-Room
    Posts
    895
    Rep Power
    21
    Points
    8,871 (0 Banked)
    Items Led ZeppelinDreamcastDead NationArnold SchwarzneggerUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by billm0066 View Post
    Talk about a contradiction. You're not suppose to talk about it but you just did lol. Nice job.
    I did that to counter what was already said and I barely said anything compared to what was previously said.

    Don't act as if I'm that stupid...you don't know me.

    Quote Originally Posted by Yuuichi View Post
    Don't give two shots about some nda many people are talking about it who have played it they just don't want videos hence your email spammed across the screen so they know who you are. I played it and gave my opinion. Which is shared by many.
    I could have sworn I saw it clearly state that you're not suppose to talk about it on forums.

    People might do it, but I don't think they are suppose to.

    As for many ppl sharing your opinion....I saw that many ppl were actually excited on the forums for the beta and ppl were talking left and right, in game, about how they thought it was a lot of fun.

    So maybe many share both opinions.
    Last edited by Locomotive; 01-03-2014 at 19:46.

  18. #17
    Miqo'te Bard
    Yuuichi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    8,043
    Rep Power
    75
    Points
    15,588 (0 Banked)
    Items New User TitleProtect yourselfFull Metal AlchemistFangDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverBattlefield 3Title StyleUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Locomotive View Post
    I did that to counter what was already said and I barely said anything compared to what was previously said.

    Don't act as if I'm that stupid...you don't know me.



    I could have sworn I saw it clearly state that you're not suppose to talk about it on forums.

    People might do it, but I don't think they are suppose to.

    As for many ppl sharing your opinion....I saw that many ppl were actually excited on the forums for the beta and ppl were talking left and right, in game, about how they thought it was a lot of fun.

    So maybe many share both opinions.
    I am sure many people did played and like the beta and are excited for the game, to think otherwise is ludicrous. And yes on the official ESO forums you can not talk about the beta. other forums fair game even though there may be something saying we can not talk about it not like they can police every forum/facebook/twitter, find those peoples beta email and ban them.

  19. #18
    PSU Live Streamer
    shepard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Age
    34
    Posts
    2,327
    Rep Power
    73
    Points
    23,501 (0 Banked)
    I've been hearing nothing but bad stuff about this game, and it sucks. For as impressive as Skyrim was last gen, I was really looking forward to a new 'skyrim' on this gen. Guess I'll just have to get that with Witcher 3

    Come find me on Twitch.tv!


  20. #19
    Superior Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    583
    Rep Power
    8
    Points
    9,797 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yuuichi View Post
    I played recent beta. The combat is literally the exact same as all Elder Scrolls with the exception you have number keys with abilities. it just screams lazyness from the devs. How this game has cost over 200 million is beyond me because the combat is just cut and paste with adding in the bar, and the mobs are similar. it is Elder scrolls combat so if you love elder scrolls combat then this is for you, but lets be honest their combat system sucks Elder scrolls is about the lore and randomness of games. As for the sub part there is a big difference between FFXIV and ESO. FFXIV feels like an MMO, it is not something I can really put into words. ESO feels like I am just playing an elder scroll game with a bunch of extra people running around.

    More so about the sub look at DCUO. They went the f2p route and made millions. The people behind ESO are throwing in a sub hoping the game will do well based on just the ES name alone. This is a game that is better suited the F2P model than a sub model.
    For me, combat is not everything in MMO, but still a huge portion of it. Let me explain why I am hoping this game to be good. I will make a comparison to FFXIV.

    Currently in FFXIV, there is no choice in how you play your character. Its RPG element is embarrassingly bad.
    -There is no choice you could make on your character.
    -There is no skill tree. Everyone in your class has exactly same skills.
    -Crafting is embarrassing, too. Crafting mechanic is beautiful, but an idiotic choice was made that it should be useless in terms of end game.

    Game has high production and decent game combat, but one fatal flaw. It centers around the fundamental of playing it one certain way by severely restricting freedom.

    and let me explain why I like Elder Scroll Online or an idea of it at least. I like the idea of making my own character. I can make Knight Healer who fights in PvP and can go heal. I can make Heavy Armor Assassin. Or Templar Knight who is an Archer as shown on gameplay video.

    MMO Combat mechanic would never be as good as SP due to same limitation we have with MS's Cloud, so I am ok that it is similar to Skyrim as long as it actually offers all the other benefits I am looking for in MMO.

    Btw, I am currently playing FFXIV, I don't hate the game. I just dislike some fundamental game design choice that was made. This is the flaw that I've felt with Diablo 3 from Diablo 2.

  21. #20
    Veteran
    SomaXD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    So-Cal
    PSN ID
    SomaXD
    Age
    32
    Posts
    4,795
    Rep Power
    76
    Points
    6,927 (1,083 Banked)
    Items PhotoShopPhotoshopAssassins Creed EzioKillzone 3Guerrilla GamesNaughty DogRaidenNoctisiPhone BlackVitaDeath NoteFinal Fantasy VII
    id rather have subscription than the game be filled with stupid noobs who spam the $#@! out of it since it costs nothing to play. i pay for FFXIV and it would be $#@!ing terrible if it was F2P... just my opinion.

    sorry... but people who say they dont want a subscription... usually dont know how MMOs work or never played a good one (aaa) Ive never played a good F2P MMO (including DCUO... what a cesspool) The quality of F2P titles are utter $#@! 99% of the time and any GOOD quality F2P game is hampered by droves of noob spamming, and experience lacking players...
    Vanik Tetsu'ya
    PS4 500GB//PS3 MGS4 80GB//PS3 120GB Slim//360 250GB Slim//360 4GB Slim w/Kinect//Black Wii 4.3u softmod//PS Vita w/32gb card

  22. #21
    Miqo'te Bard
    Yuuichi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    8,043
    Rep Power
    75
    Points
    15,588 (0 Banked)
    Items New User TitleProtect yourselfFull Metal AlchemistFangDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverBattlefield 3Title StyleUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by AttackTitan View Post
    For me, combat is not everything in MMO, but still a huge portion of it. Let me explain why I am hoping this game to be good. I will make a comparison to FFXIV.

    Currently in FFXIV, there is no choice in how you play your character. Its RPG element is embarrassingly bad.
    -There is no choice you could make on your character.
    -There is no skill tree. Everyone in your class has exactly same skills.
    -Crafting is embarrassing, too. Crafting mechanic is beautiful, but an idiotic choice was made that it should be useless in terms of end game.

    Game has high production and decent game combat, but one fatal flaw. It centers around the fundamental of playing it one certain way by severely restricting freedom.

    and let me explain why I like Elder Scroll Online or an idea of it at least. I like the idea of making my own character. I can make Knight Healer who fights in PvP and can go heal. I can make Heavy Armor Assassin. Or Templar Knight who is an Archer as shown on gameplay video.

    MMO Combat mechanic would never be as good as SP due to same limitation we have with MS's Cloud, so I am ok that it is similar to Skyrim as long as it actually offers all the other benefits I am looking for in MMO.

    Btw, I am currently playing FFXIV, I don't hate the game. I just dislike some fundamental game design choice that was made. This is the flaw that I've felt with Diablo 3 from Diablo 2.
    That all sounds good but the nature of MMO will force min/max. Rift is a great example of some awesome customizing but still will be put in a cookie cutter spec for raids/pvp/dungeons. Wow was the same back when they had customization. If ESO can find this balance with freedom and efficacy then that could be the one thing that will attract non ES fans. I would love to see that happen.

    Imagine pvp going in and not being abel to tell what the other person is based on armor so you have no idea what abilities they have. That sounds like a dream.

  23. #22
    Superior Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    583
    Rep Power
    8
    Points
    9,797 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yuuichi View Post
    That all sounds good but the nature of MMO will force min/max. Rift is a great example of some awesome customizing but still will be put in a cookie cutter spec for raids/pvp/dungeons. Wow was the same back when they had customization. If ESO can find this balance with freedom and efficacy then that could be the one thing that will attract non ES fans. I would love to see that happen.

    Imagine pvp going in and not being abel to tell what the other person is based on armor so you have no idea what abilities they have. That sounds like a dream.
    I haven't played enough MMO to comment on your min/max being forced, but I do not think that is inevitable nature of the freedom of choice. I know Diablo is not MMO, but I think this still applies. Diablo 2 had so many different builds that were each good at something. Every build had trade off. There was no Min/Max per se because it depended on each and every scenario. However, I maybe remembering this game too fondly.

    It seems that you have been around in MMO scene for a while, so let me ask yo. is there any MMO that offers what I am looking for without being forced into this Min/Max?
    Last edited by AttackTitan; 01-04-2014 at 00:29.

  24. #23
    Miqo'te Bard
    Yuuichi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    8,043
    Rep Power
    75
    Points
    15,588 (0 Banked)
    Items New User TitleProtect yourselfFull Metal AlchemistFangDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverBattlefield 3Title StyleUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by AttackTitan View Post
    I haven't played enough MMO to comment on your min/max being forced, but I do not think that is inevitable nature of the freedom of choice. I know Diablo is not MMO, but I think this still applies. Diablo 2 had so many different builds that were each good at something. Every build had trade off. There was no Min/Max per se because it depended on each and every scenario. However, I maybe remembering this game too fondly.

    It seems that you have been around in MMO scene for a while, so let me ask yo. is there any MMO that offers what I am looking for without being forced into this Min/Max?
    Diablo is actually a great example as it is very close to an MMO. Unfortuantly I have yet to play an MMO aside from guild Wars(which is dead now) that really did not have a min/max and players used some odd ball combos that really worked.

  25. #24
    Elite Member
    reasonable_doubt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,745
    Rep Power
    67
    Points
    7,902 (0 Banked)
    So is this a monthly subscription on top of PS+ or do PS+ get to play for free, cause it like paying 2 subscription to play one $#@!ing game...

  26. #25
    Elite Guru
    *goo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    5,272
    Rep Power
    75
    Points
    31,824 (0 Banked)

    Elder Scrolls Online: Press Predicts it Disaster

    The game requires it's own subscription. Being PS+ does not cover it. But. You don't need PS+ to play ESO on PS4. Sony aren't putting it behind a paywall if I remember rightly.

    I predict the game won't be WoW successful or even Guild Wars 2 successful (in terms of long term player numbers) but brand alone will at least ensure they break even quite quickly.


    Obligatory Tapatalk Signature

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
vBCredits II Deluxe v2.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2010-2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.