Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast

PSN ID
    Game_over_shane
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    bad idea to display your name. not even about security, there are bullies out there that will take advantage of this. you can tell (at times) a person's religion, race, and culture by name. i've seen people be prejudice based on name many times. not a good idea.
    Do you think The lion cares about the opinion of the sheep.... Do you want to be a lion or a sheep. I don't care what people think or say.

Shogun of the Ban Thread
    PSN ID
    ManaBurnX
    I really love the feature for a couple of reasons. First, I like being able to use a person's name instead of xXKillazXx and the like Second, I love seeing my Facebook pic instead of a cartoon pic. Unfortunately I only have 3 people out of 70+ on my friends list that use it. I'll have to send out requests to you guys and whoever wants can accept it and whoever doesn't then no problem. It's easier than going through and asking each individual person on here if they mind or not. Feel free to request from me as well.

Elite Guru
    Items Naughty DogMetal Gear SolidPlayStation
    It's alright, I personally will only be accepting name requests from people who I feel have earned my trust or who I know in person. For example, I wouldn't just randomly accept a name request of some random guy I met on Madden, COD or whatever.

PSN ID
    croatoa
    Fair enough and I don't blame anyone for wanting to keep their information private- it is nice to be on a first name basis at least though- makes playing with someone feel a lot more personal. Mana burn when my PS4 is up and running again I will most certainly add you

PSN ID
    croatoa
    I wouldn't just randomly accept a name request of some random guy I met on Madden, COD or whatever.
    I completely agree with this- if the person randomly adds me as a friend I probably wouldn't even go that far- but if I have played with someone long enough and we get along- I will try to add a personal touch- if they can't accept the name request I at least try to goad them into telling me their first name- though some people are very skittish- even asking for their name makes some people suspicious :P

Forum Overseer
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by admartian View Post
    Your name is Mohammed?
    that is so true. also abdul. bleh.

Quote Originally Posted by sinvens View Post
    Do you think The lion cares about the opinion of the sheep.... Do you want to be a lion or a sheep. I don't care what people think or say.
    well not all people are lions.

PSN ID
    croatoa
    well not all people are lions. [/QUOTE]

Yes I like to think of myself as more of a giraffe or an elephant personally

8. Likes Omar likes this post
    Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    I'm a Beetle. Long story.

10. Likes Riptide_Warrior, Omar likes this post
    PSN ID
    croatoa
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    I'm a Beetle. Long story.
    A dung beetle? it's important to make these distinctions :P

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    MjW-
    Items VitaiPhone BlackGran Turismo 5PS3 FatTommy Vercetti3DS
    I think I like it. It makes the experience a bit more friendly. I've been here for years and a couple of days ago I said nice to meet you to a member for the first time. It just feels normal.

I have 3 people with real names in total. And will be adding a couple more when they get a PS4, though I already know their names.

On the move with Tapatalk
    ~Corporate Media Propaganda - Welcome to your Daily Matrix~

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    F34R is my real name.

Shogun of the Ban Thread
    PSN ID
    ManaBurnX
    Quote Originally Posted by Riptide_Warrior View Post
    Fair enough and I don't blame anyone for wanting to keep their information private- it is nice to be on a first name basis at least though- makes playing with someone feel a lot more personal. Mana burn when my PS4 is up and running again I will most certainly add you
    Alright, that's cool. Sorry to hear about your PS4 problems. I'm thankful everyday that I didn't get stuck with one of the bad launch ones.

I sometimes use my name I would love my name to be one of these:

edit: no spam please.
    Last edited by F34R; 01-06-2014 at 20:41.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    Cathode
    Items LuluYunaDaft Punk
    I think this is pretty much a two way street. A little anonymity is good for when you're younger. You do things you might regret. The consequences might be less severe by retaining anonymity. On the other side, having real names coupled to your username forces you to behave. I think there should be struck a middle ground (or at least made some research for implementing such) where Sony could have some in-house-rules.

For example: You are anonymous up to a certain age, but you must be linked to a verified adults account. As an adult, you can still choose an alias, but your credentials are stored by Sony.

What I REALLY wish for now is the option to display your alias in your own live feed! Useful for uploading videos for starters.

Wishlist: Jade Cocoon Reboot, Oni Reboot, the next JRPG, Wasteland 2 [coming soon!]
    SotC 2, Fallout 4, next Obsidian Fallout, Project Eternity, Uncharted 4, Divinity [NEW!]
    [South Park: Stick of Truth is pure gaming bliss!]

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    SkarEffect
    I'm using my real name and IDK if anybody on my friends list could see it. I do know that you can request a name exchange or something like that.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by SkarEffect View Post
    I'm using my real name and IDK if anybody on my friends list could see it. I do know that you can request a name exchange or something like that.
    Thanks to Gantz's post above, no one sees it unless you grant their request to see it.

#IndieStation4 and proud of it.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Quote Originally Posted by Riptide_Warrior View Post
    A dung beetle? it's important to make these distinctions :P
    Lol! Nah..

In highschool... we were playing this big rival game going on (football/soccer). Well, they had nicknamed me Beetle over the past year. Why? Because I had long hair and after playing, it was ALL OVER THE PLACE lol. They thought I looked like Beetle Juice:

After our senior year, I met them when we played for the Augusta Arsenal Gunners. U-18 team. We became like brothers over that time. When I met them there, they said, "Hey it's Beetle!!" lol. Even their family knew me as Beetle. My wife met me, and she knew me as Beetle. lol

Here is what it looked like before a Gunners game:

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by K2D View Post
    I think this is pretty much a two way street. A little anonymity is good for when you're younger. You do things you might regret. The consequences might be less severe by retaining anonymity. On the other side, having real names coupled to your username forces you to behave. I think there should be struck a middle ground (or at least made some research for implementing such) where Sony could have some in-house-rules.

For example: You are anonymous up to a certain age, but you must be linked to a verified adults account. As an adult, you can still choose an alias, but your credentials are stored by Sony.

What I REALLY wish for now is the option to display your alias in your own live feed! Useful for uploading videos for starters.
    that's a good point. i could easily it being a problem with kids but not much with adults.

21. Likes K2D likes this post
    Superior Member
    PSN ID
    SkarEffect
    Quote Originally Posted by admartian View Post
    Thanks to Gantz's post above, no one sees it unless you grant their request to see it.
    Shoot, I haven't even noticed he stated this. lol.

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    BilLCollecTTor
    Well it's not a bad thing. All my friends are adults so some have there real names, others like myself have put there nick names in where u would put there real names. As far as kids go there parents should be monitoring what there kids should be doing anyways.

PSN ID
    croatoa
    I'm sorry guys perhaps I should have explained it more clearly(or at all) when I started this thread. But I definitely agree that kids should not be able to give out their real names or any other kind of personal information- but that isn't sony's responsibility- in my opinion a kid should be started out playing nintendo games like mario or contra, classics that many people our age were raised on. If your child isn't old enough to go on your computer and access the internet they are not old enough to go on a console that can do the same thing. And if they are, they should have ABSOLUTELY no internet access, for browsing or playing online. That's my take on the subject

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    D3seeker
    Items PS3 Slim
    Predators have been around for eons. I'll use my real name, gladly.

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    Quote Originally Posted by TOM2x View Post
    Actually, I thought it was kind of funny when people started requesting my real name on the PS4 as my screen name is Tom2x! I just respond back, my real name is Jim. I go by Tom because it's sexier.
    I'm Jim too haha

But yeah I have no.issue using my name or having my current FB picture as my avatar. I think its great

PSN ID
    Dullisten
    Quote Originally Posted by sinvens View Post
    Yeah sure u don't pay attention to people when u reach a certain age, but it get's to a point that it becomes annoying. Like a person sitting next to u and poking u, sure it is harmless but after a while it get annoying as f***. Being harrased for ur name, nationality or religion is really annoying.
    And on the net, being far away from eachother people suddenly get balls. Would be a different thing if u were face to face.

Shogun of the Ban Thread
    PSN ID
    ManaBurnX
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkVincent07 View Post

But yeah I have no.issue using my name or having my current FB picture as my avatar. I think its great
    I agree. I think it looks much cooler seeing my real pic instead of a cartoonish avatar. Also, people seem to forget that you can use a made up name on Facebook and put any display pic you want as long as it's not against the FB TOS thus giving people what they've wanted for a long time, custom avatars!

Thread Information