Page 1 of 5 1 ... LastLast
    Racing Game Fanatic
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    Items Title StyleVitaPS3 Slim

How Much Prettier is Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition?

Thanks to IGN, interesting read:

Lara Croft and the treacherous island of Yamatai look more realistic than ever.

After recently playing Tomb Raider on a high-end PC last year, I was impressed by how good it looked. Lara's hair with TressFX blowing through the wind was a sight to behold, and there were more than a few occasions where I had to stop and just look around at what the dangerous yet mythical island of Yamatai had in store. I thought adventuring through the treacherous cliffs and ruins was gorgeous, but I didn't realize how much better it could look until I got my hands on the Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition on PlayStation 4.

The first thing I immediately noticed is how different Lara's head and face is in the Definitive Edition, which was a little surprising considering how iconic her new look has become. Her face mesh has seen an increase in density and as a result, the significant amount of new polygons in her face make her comes off as much more emotive and lifelike.

Every texture on Lara has been upgraded and subsurface scattering was also added to her skin, so that when the sun hits her skin it goes under it, giving it a beautifully realistic soft glow. When she's tense or scared she'll even start to perspire, causing her skin to have a sheen on it. When she gets wet, so does her skin and her clothing. Even the mud and her blood have been given graphic boosts, making for a much grittier version of the heroine in some sequences.

AMD and Crystal Dynamics' TressFX, the technology behind Lara's realistic hair in the PC version, is also coming to the Definitive Edition, and will be the first next-gen game to feature the luscious locks. To bring TressFX to console, it had to be completely overhauled and now it looks better than ever. As Lara's running through the game, her hair flows in the wind naturally.

All the objects Lara carries have been given a physics treatment too. What might have seemed like simple touches on paper turn out to be incredibly detailed in action. Seeing Lara's axe swing at her hip, each individual arrow jiggle around in the quiver, her bow bob back and forth as she runs, and even her necklace dangling around adds an exquisite level of realism.

There's no doubt that Lara looks incredibly realistic in The Definitive Edition, but what's even more impressive is how much better the island of Yamatai looks. Crystal Dynamics treats Yamatai as a character, and as such it has received a ton of upgrades.

Every texture has been boosted to the maximum 4K resolution, and the developers did a lot of work with the shadow maps to add much more depth to each part of the world. The wood on buildings looks weathered, trees feel fuller, there are visible cracks in the walls, and rocks and cliffs are much craggier this time around thanks to their new specular maps.

In order to make the island feel alive with environmental storytelling, the wind now changes dynamically. It breezes through the grass, leaves, and trees differently and depending on the strength of the wind they'll sway at different rates. Bushes and water also react to Lara, so when you run through brush it bounces off her properly and when you step in pools they'll splash. Extra lighting effects add yet another level of realism, with lifelike shadows and Godrays gleaming out between the leaves.

A cinematic near-depth blur has also been added, so when things are too close to the screen they'll get a bit fuzzy, which makes you not only focus on the crisp environment around you, but it also adds more depth to every scene. Conversely, the level of detail (LOD) has been increased to the max so you can now see farther, all the way to the horizon depending where you are.

Vibrant fire embers are now dynamically lit and have refractive lighting, so you can even see the heat waves emitting from them and their reflective glows on the wall. Rain kicks on randomly too, and when raindrops hit water pools they ripple on the surface. During storms, cracks of lightning will light up the whole sky with raindrops, something that wouldn't have been possible on last-gen.

When all of these wonderful touches are put together, you really get the sense that this world is alive and that there's a real person trying to make her way through it.

On top of the many visual improvements, the Definitive Edition includes tons of prime Tomb Raider extras. For those who love finding treasure, all of the DLC comes bundled in, along with digital versions of the Tomb Raider comic, an art book, and the six Final Hours developer videos. In short, the Definitive Edition is a Tomb Raider that feels like a proper next-gen game and not a port-up. Its $60 asking price is perhaps a bit steep if you've already played it on a current-gen platform, but if you missed out on Lara's reboot last year, it's almost certain to be worth a look now.

Video's are also included in article, link below:

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2014/01/0...nitive-edition
    PSN ID: Duffman19864

Twitter ID: Duffman1986

My New Youtube Gaming Channel: Duffman Gaming

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    I'm so so so glad I didn't get round to this last gen (current gen for me still!). It seems I'll get to experience this and GTA V for the first time on the PS4, super stoked!

3. Likes TidalPhoenix , Ezekiel likes this post
    Racing Game Fanatic
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    Items Title StyleVitaPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    I'm so so so glad I didn't get round to this last gen (current gen for me still!). It seems I'll get to experience this and GTA V for the first time on the PS4, super stoked!
    Same here, was going to get it on PS3 but never got round to it but now it's coming to PS4 and looking even better I don't feel so bad lol
    PSN ID: Duffman19864

Twitter ID: Duffman1986

My New Youtube Gaming Channel: Duffman Gaming

PSU Live Streamer
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Is there a confirmation yet that GTAV is coming to ps4? or is that still rumor

Come find me on Twitch.tv!

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    djpenny1
    i have a feeling ps3 ver will be free soon

Valar Morghulis
    PSN ID
    SerinousTSE
    Items PS3 FatVitaPS3 Slim
    wow. base on the article I can't wait. now I'm glad I didn't get into this last gen.

PSU Live Streamer
    I got it day1 last gen. Played it. Loved it. Was my game of the year till I got my hands on The Last of Us.
    Recently sold it. Planning to rebuy it on ps4.

Come find me on Twitch.tv!

9. Likes Malt likes this post
    Forum Elder
    I am pumped for this game, and kind of jealous of u guys who will be playing it for the first time. You guys are in for a treat.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

11. Likes Malt likes this post
    Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Skullomainia
    Quote Originally Posted by shepard View Post
    I got it day1 last gen. Played it. Loved it. Was my game of the year till I got my hands on The Last of Us.
    Recently sold it. Planning to rebuy it on ps4.
    Pretty much the same here, apart from the fact I was loaned both games by a family member who was working away and didn't have time to play them! I will be buying this on PS4 at some point, I just wished I'd not have played it on PS3. Having said that if I hadn't have been loaned it it would probably have stayed off my radar and I'd have not bothered with it..

Veteran
    PSN ID
    SomaXD
    Items PhotoShopPhotoshopAssassins Creed EzioKillzone 3Guerrilla GamesNaughty DogRaidenNoctisiPhone BlackVitaDeath NoteFinal Fantasy VII
    i didnt play it yet... hoping it ends up on PS+ then maybe i wont wanna buy PS4 version... meh.
    Vanik Tetsu'ya
    PS4 500GB//PS3 MGS4 80GB//PS3 120GB Slim//360 250GB Slim//360 4GB Slim w/Kinect//Black Wii 4.3u softmod//PS Vita w/32gb card

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    I rented it on PS3 but only played an hour or so I'll definitely be checking it out on PS4. Glad I didnt play too far into it.

Superior Member
    All these enhancements are all well and good, but no mention as to whether Lara now has realistic bouncing chuckle bumps!!!

I have the collectors edition for PS3 and loved it, I'll definitely be getting this version too, can't wait!

16. Likes Malt likes this post
    Shogun of the Ban Thread
    PSN ID
    ManaBurnX
    Something always got in the way of me picking it up for PS3 so I'll definitely be getting the PS4 version. Once they give me the ability to use external drives for media on my PS4 I'll probably sell my PS3 and games. I thought I'd play my PS3 even though I got my PS4 but that hasn't been the case.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    I played it on PS3 and loved it. Will play again.

#IndieStation4 and proud of it.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    atrin1
    i'm so glad i didn't buy this game last gen! and i have a $60 gift card to gamestop! now we just need the 28th to hurry and arrive!

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Great stuff, the Tress FX hair made it in. The hair Looks a bit better than PC version too, when I enabled it, I thought it looked too floaty an not like hair.
    Last edited by keefy; 01-06-2014 at 22:01.

Forum Elder
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    Great stuff, the Tress FX hair made it in. Looks a bit better than PC version too, I thought when I enabled it that is ithat it looked too floaty an not like hair.
    I think the ps4 has been pretty impressive so far graphically. I think it will perform a little better than the 7850 it's built on, because of the customizations by amd and sony.

It's coming extremely close to pc counterparts ( I know pc is stronger) and This is the first batch of games too. Should be in for some nice looking games for a few years.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Supreme Veteran
    I hope this version does away with the stupid quick time events. They were so annoying.
    Last edited by keefy; 01-07-2014 at 03:03.

Superior Member
    Sounds like the Definitive Addition is going to look fantastic. I'd get it if I had a PS4. I still haven't finished it yet, but this thread has reminded me to go back and play it on my PC at some resolution not to be named.
    i7 4770 | 2x EVGA GTX 780 ti SC ACX SLI | 32GB
    i7 3770 | EVGA SC GTX 580 3GB​ | 16GB

Supreme Veteran

Official FAQ

I thought some of you might want to read this.

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=140634

Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition FAQ

Who is developing Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition?

Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition was developed as a multi-studio collaboration between Crystal Dynamics and two trusted partner studios: United Front Games (Vancouver) whom we know from their Sleeping Dogs work with Square; and our long-time partners at Nixxes whom we’ve worked with since the Legacy of Kain days. Both UFG and Nixxes worked closely with our internal Crystal core team to rebuild Tomb Raider from the ground up for next-gen consoles.

Why did you choose to work with United Front Games?

We’ve worked with Nixxes for years so they were a natural fit for us to turn to when it was time to go next-gen. United Front Games was known to us thanks to the Sleeping Dogs relationship with Square. For Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition we relied on them for a ton of the heavy lifting in taking our already great looking game and pushing it even further with the enhanced visuals for the world, reworking our core networking code for the next gen, and carrying a bulk of the asset implementation and enhancement work.

Is there new in-game content in Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition?

The core action and story of Tomb Raider remain intact, but we’ve added all post-launch DLC, as well as a few bonus offerings that let you dive deeper into Tomb Raider’s development. Here’s what you can expect:
    The fully rebuilt game for next-generation consoles
    The Tomb of the Lost Adventurer
    Eight DLC multiplayer maps
    Six DLC multiplayer weapons
    Four DLC multiplayer characters
    Six alternate outfits for Lara
    Dark Horse digital comic book “Tomb Raider: The Beginning”
    Brady Games digital art book “Tomb Raider: The Art of Survival”
    “The Final Hours of Tomb Raider” documentary series

Why didn’t you add new in-game content or modes to Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition?

Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition is the ultimate expression of our original vision for Tomb Raider; the one now capable with the next-gen horsepower and extra time and manpower we had to craft this experience. We were very happy with the final Tomb Raider experience when the last piece of DLC dropped. It’s a complete and fulfilling journey, and we didn’t want to break that balance but instead enhance it wherever possible for the highest fidelity experience possible.

Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition is the complete vision for Tomb Raider, enabling people who already played Tomb Raider to revisit Lara’s journey on next-generation consoles, and for those who’ve not picked up the game yet to get the ultimate experience the first time around.

Are the graphical improvements really that great? What other “next-gen” features are you including?

Yes, we think the graphical improvements are pretty great. The team didn’t just up-rez the game. They pulled it apart and rebuilt it with new technology, finally allowing us to reach the vision for Tomb Raider that we always wanted.

You can see the sweat, mud, and blood on Lara. Her eyes are much more expressive and her hair realistic. We also improved gear movement in Definitive Edition – her axe will sway and necklace will react to movement as Lara traverses the island. The Endurance crew has been spruced up, too.

As for the island, we’ve added weather and lighting effects, extra vegetation, improved physics, reactive water surfaces, and more. Yamatai is now alive with motion. When Lara stops, the world keeps moving. We didn’t just improve the rain; we reworked it until it felt torrential – like another enemy out to get Lara.

If you want to get geeky, our gameplay is now in full 1080p, we have subsurface scattering on our characters, real-time particle lighting, Tress FX support for Lara’s hair, upgraded reactive water, full world simulation, and more. We’ve also completely rebuilt Lara’s head and face model from the ground up with a denser topology giving improvements on features for eyes, nose, mouth, cheeks, etc. All of her textures are higher resolution as well.

As for other next-gen additions, The Xbox One allows you to use Kinect to change weapons, attachments, and navigate the menu with your voice. You can also rotate and inspect relics with hand gestures, and find new viewpoints by leaning into the world. The PlayStation 4’s Dualshock 4 controller lights up red and orange when using the torch, and quick flashes when Lara is shooting. The PlayStation 4 version also allows you to stream Tomb Raider to the PlayStation Vita.

Why should I buy Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition?

Tomb Raider is considered one of the best games of 2013, and for good reason. If you’ve yet to sink your teeth into the game, this is the edition you’ll want to experience. Not only has it been rebuilt for next-gen consoles, it includes, Kinect, Dualshock 4, and PS Vita compatibility, and all the DLC that released post-launch.

As a refresher, here’s what you’ll get:
    The fully rebuilt game for next-generation consoles
    The Tomb of the Lost Adventurer
    Eight DLC multiplayer maps
    Six DLC multiplayer weapons
    Four DLC multiplayer characters
    Six alternate outfits for Lara
    Dark Horse digital comic book “Tomb Raider: The Beginning”
    Brady Games digital art book “Tomb Raider: The Art of Survival”
    “The Final Hours of Tomb Raider” documentary series

Why should I buy Definitive Edition if I already own Tomb Raider?

We call it “Definitive” for a reason! Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition showcases what next-generation consoles are capable of. You’ll notice all the improvements we made and feel even more immersed in Yamatai as a result.

If you’re an avid Tomb Raider fan or collector, Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition includes new cover art and an exclusive pre-order art book packaging with never-before-seen concept art.

That said, we realize not everyone will need or want to purchase the game a second time. However if you have friends who haven’t played Tomb Raider and own next-gen consoles, be sure to let them know Definitive Edition is the version to get.

Will Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition contain a hint at the future of Tomb Raider?

While there’s no new story content in the game, playing Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition gives you a window into what to expect from the future of Tomb Raider. This is our first movement towards what a next-generation Lara will look like - the caliber of model you’ll see in her future adventures. We feel that Lara’s one of the most believable characters in gaming, and she’s never looked more real than this.

Have any bugs from TR 2013 been addressed in TRHD?

Yes. All of the title updates rolled into the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 editions of Tomb Raider have been included in Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition.

If I’ve already played Tomb Raider for the Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3, will my save games and multiplayer ranks port over?

Save data from current-gen versions of Tomb Raider is not compatible with the Xbox One or PlayStation 4 versions of Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition – meaning achievements/trophies, multiplayer ranks, and so forth will not transfer over.

What is the approach to multiplayer in Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition?

Multiplayer will work the same as it did on the previous generation of consoles. As everyone who purchases Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition will have access to the entire suite of multiplayer maps, this will avoid any compatibility issues that would have arisen from playing with friends who didn’t own the same DLC.

When does Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition release?

Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition releases for the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 on January 28, 2014 in North America, and January 31st, 2014 in Europe.

What’s the price point?

Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition will retail for $59.99 in North America. Check with your local retailer for price points across Europe!

Will there be a discount available for those who purchased Tomb Raider (2013) and want to upgrade to Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition on next-gen?

Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition is not participating in an upgrade program. The game will retail for $59.99 in North America. Check with your local retailer for price points across Europe.

Will PC users be getting an update that allows them to play with the next-gen Lara model?

Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition was designed and rebuilt from the ground up for next-generation consoles. At this time a PC update is not planned.

Is Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition available for the Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3?

No, Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition was built from the ground up for next-generation console technology that isn’t available in previous hardware.

Can I get the art book packaging without purchasing the game? I’d like to buy it separately.

The art book packaging is a pre-order exclusive, and will not be sold as a standalone retail offering.

When will we see more gameplay? How about comparison screens?

We’ve got a good number of assets to show off before Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition’s launch. The title releases on January 28 in North America and January 31 in Europe, so you don’t have long to wait!

Will Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition be available as a digital download?

Yes, Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition will be available as a digital download on both the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 at launch.

Will the DLC, digital art book, and documentary be on disc? Or packaged up with a code?

All bonus content is on disc for physical versions of Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition. If you purchase a digital copy of the game, the content will be installed on your HDD.

How many FPS does Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition run at?

We are still optimizing the game for both platforms and will be doing so until we release to manufacturing so that we get the highest performance possible.

Does Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition run natively at 1080p on both consoles?

Yes, Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition’s gameplay is native 1080p on both the Xbox One and PlayStation 4.

Is Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition just a port of the PC game?

No, Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition is not a port of the PC game. Definitive Edition was rebuilt from the ground up for next-gen consoles. The X360, PS3, and PC editions were where we started from; and then we added an improved lighting and shadow caster system, more detailed storytelling visuals, massive amounts of more particle effects, a fully simulated physics world, and the new next-gen Lara.

Some key Definitive Edition improvements include:

An all-new Lara model created to take advantage of the power of next-gen consoles.

Gear on Lara (necklace, climbing axe, radio, arrows) now have realistic physics.

Lara’s head has been retopologized and increased in resolution for a higher fidelity appearance. Her head was rebuilt from scratch with an estimated 5x density improvement on features for eyes, nose, mouth, cheeks, etc. All of her textures are higher resolution as well. We’ve also smoothed over edges on elbows, shoulders, and legs to give more natural features.

Shaders and lighting have been reworked to showcase the raw physicality of Lara’s journey through sweat, mud, and blood materials and effects.

The world has been dynamically brought to life using complex physical world simulation on trees, foliage, cloth. Additional enhancements have also been made to weather and lighting.

All textures have been created at 4x resolution for maximum fidelity and detail.

In-game characters, enemies, and destructibility have been enhanced for added realism.

Subsurface scattering technology has been implemented to capture the most physically accurate lighting simulation and deliver a great sense of believability on Lara.

Native 1080p gameplay gives outstanding visual fidelity and showcases the deadly beauty of Yamatai.
    Last edited by keefy; 01-07-2014 at 22:02.

25. Likes Enthroll likes this post
    Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Since theyre asking 60 bucks I'll rent it first and see if its everything that theyre saying it is.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    NO upgrade? Full retail? As much as I love this game......

#IndieStation4 and proud of it.

Dedicated Member
    Solid game and better than the other TR games, but the story was uninteresting, the shooting could have been better and there were some issues with the platforming and climbing. They tried to be Uncharted a little too much, but I enjoyed it and still need to finish it. Not interested in this port but will check for the sequel built for the PS4.

Ultimate Veteran
    Wow that looks awesome,good thing I skipped the ps3 version,good things come to people that waite

Asset Manager
    PSN ID
    avecha
    Items Lightning
    What is this Tomb Of The Lost Adventurer?

Thread Information