Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Effekt
    Items Metal Gear SolidTommy VercettiLegend of ZeldaBlizzardAtlus

Gamestop supporting the XboxOne over the PS4?

I've noticed since the announcements of the new gen consoles that gamestop has supported XboxOne way more than the PS4. Everytime I go to the store all I see is xbox one is in stock and all the games are in the front displayed, not even mentioning anywhere anything about the PS4. Now I go to their website the main ad is xbox one, the top right corner says "buy xbox one" oh and even though I've bought only nintendo and sony products on the website my recommendations are all xbox products, the xbox one and xbox gift cards(all of them from $5-50) as well as gta5 for xbox...I understand maybe they made a deal with them or they just bought a lot of ads with them but for them to actually recommend them to me and not basing it off my recent purchases just seems a bit much.

What are your opinions on this? It seems like gamestop has always leaned on xbox products which is fine but I don't see the point in going overboard with it, they're a game store so no matter what console or game is sold they get money.

Untitled.jpg

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I'm sure they pay them for up front marketing. Not certain on that but it's likely. Not knocking MS. If you have to money to out market the competition go for it.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by PS4freak View Post
    I'm sure they pay them for up front marketing. Not certain on that but it's likely. Not knocking MS. If you have to money to out market the competition go for it.
    Yeah thats propably it.

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    robvandam111
    Items User name style
    I don't bother going to Gamestop anymore but I did passed by on Saturday and noticed all of the advertisements in front of the store.

3DS: 4613-6960-4293

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Effekt
    Items Metal Gear SolidTommy VercettiLegend of ZeldaBlizzardAtlus
    Quote Originally Posted by PS4freak View Post
    Yeah, I'm pretty much 100% that's the case but I just felt annoyed mostly about the recommended selection lol, an ad is an ad but don't go trying to shove what I should buy on a list that is supposed to be based off my purchase history.

Superior Member

PSN ID
    martin_blank
    It may have a bit to do with they've got Xbox Ones to sell just for walking in and PS4s are still, as far as I know, difficult to find in stock anywhere. I'm sure there's some pre-arranged co-marketing deal of some sort, too, but there's also the point there's no sense marketing what you can't sell because you never have anything but minimal, erratic stock.

PS4 sold astoundingly well at launch and through the end of year but Sony hasn't very well convinced me people are having a hard time getting them because, you know, hey, they just ran out. MS just announced they'd sold somewhere north of 3 million Xbox Ones, more accurate number unspecified, at the end of 2013, aggregating all launch markets. Sony announced they sold 2.1 PS4s first week of December. They've provided regional sales updates since then but not worldwide launch market sales updates. For example, they've announced numbers indicating they outsold Xbox One by a good margin in the UK through Christmas. Which leads me to believe they probably didn't outsell Xbox One in the States, or not by much even with a week's lead and lower price point, otherwise why not announce that? That would be very big, very positive news for Sony as last gen North America was a weaker market for PS3.

The likelihood is worldwide launch Sony and MS are neck-and-neck to date. MS built more units so there are still more around to be had. Sony built fewer and sold most of them earlier on.

Remember, this is all a game about things that play games. Recall Amazon wouldn't release Kindle sales numbers -- still won't, as far as I know -- leading many analysts to assume Kindle was tanking. Yeah, Kindle wasn't tanking. Kindle was a bona fide success. Amazon just wasn't going to tell anybody how many they were selling. Well, why not? I've got a super hot product clearing off the shelves, why won't I say? Because it's a content-delivery device and I've got advantageous early and short-term deals with content providers selling me content like I'm living on ramen and I've got holes in the soles of my worn-out shoes. Yeah but really I'm selling so well I can eat steak lunch and dinner, and buy a pair of premium Air Jordans in a different style and color for every day of the week. My sweetheart content deals are going to evaporate the minute those first-term contracts run out. So no way I'm saying how much I'm selling. Eventually, sure, they're going to figure it out, but I'm not going to pay a nickel more for content than I have to until they get wise on their own.

Amazon Kindle and this console gen are different marketing stories but they're the same in that yapping about them is all gamed nine ways to best serve what the companies predict as their best interests. Sony really loves games and gamers and that's why PS4 is doing so well in comparison with PS3, and very competitively, ahead substantially in some markets, with Xbox One with launches a week apart. Unlike when Sony announced PS3 it was pretty much they hated gamers. But now they love gamers. No, they never hated gamers nor do they love them now. They don't care. An individual console or game designer at Sony or a Sony studio -- or Microsoft and Microsoft studios, for that matter -- yes, he or she cares about games. Sony, Sony doesn't care. It's only Sony recognized after PS3 that telling gamers to drop off if they didn't like it was not the golden road to big sales and super success.

Everybody hates Bobby Kotick. Why? They're all the same, entertainment media executives. As game content consumers we rely on the middle and lower creative and marketing echelons to love games and gaming enough to produce good games and deliver them in a fashion we find tenable. Those folks rely on the upper echelon to fund their passions. If the heavy-hitter console company executives really, really loved games above all, before long there would be no games consoles and no console games.

So don't get annoyed with GameStop for making overtly biased but highly profitable promotional deals because their executive management doesn't give a flip about games. When people like that, those who fund gaming enterprises but couldn't care less about the actual games, when they make a lot of money they give a bunch of that money to people who do really love games so those game lovers can go make them even more money. It's corporate capitalism. It's hideously ugly but it affords us far greater choice and opportunity in our gaming media than otherwise. And don't say "Minecraft." Minecraft is an anomaly. Minecraft is pretty much hitting the trifecta at the Belmont Stakes on three total long shots. I mean, sure, Perrson knew those horses but, still, what were the odds? The odds were terrible, that's what they were.
    Last edited by sanfordmay; 01-07-2014 at 09:44.

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    Lol they have more ones sitting around, might as well advertise it if it's not moving off the shelves. the ps4 sells itself so no need in pushing it just yet

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    The reasoning is simple. There are Xbox One's constantly showing up at Gamestop each week. There is a huge waiting list for PS4's at Gamestop still. Once the waiting list is fulfilled, I am sure we will see more advertising.

Forum Elder
    I called the other day and the answer was " thank you for calling Gamestop Parkesburg where we have Xbox ones in stock this is ... how may I help you."

I thought damn they have too many xbones

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Yeah that's true. Didn't think about the stock.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Ultimate Veteran
    Good. It can use all the help it can get LOL

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungMullah88 View Post
    Lol they have more ones sitting around, might as well advertise it if it's not moving off the shelves. the ps4 sells itself so no need in pushing it just yet Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
    Yep the PS4 just sells itself. No help needed.

Miqo'te Bard
    Items New User TitleProtect yourselfFull Metal AlchemistFangDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverBattlefield 3Title StyleUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisw26308 View Post
    I called the other day and the answer was " thank you for calling Gamestop Parkesburg where we have Xbox ones in stock this is ... how may I help you."

I thought damn they have too many xbones

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
    We did that at best bus for consoles because we got tired of people asking if we had them. Would go between yes and no and even then people would still ask lol.
    I have twitter to https://twitter.com/GamerYuichi , Also started youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMu7yRGCz8QrTyxaNVR3Tqw I don't always twitch, but when I can you can find my noobness http://www.twitch.tv/yuichimccry,

Ultimate Veteran
    Heck, I might masquerade as an XBox One supporter soon. It really would be something if the XBox 1 outsold the XBox One. I will be Moral Support.

Valar Morghulis
    PSN ID
    SerinousTSE
    Items PS3 FatVitaPS3 Slim
    not sure about this. could be relating to the fact that ps4s are all sold out. the logic is: if I own a store, and let's say I'm indifferent in which product I like to sell. product A is out of stock, product B is on stock. it I'm indifferent, which do I want to push to sell now?

product B

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Serinous View Post
    not sure about this. could be relating to the fact that ps4s are all sold out. the logic is: if I own a store, and let's say I'm indifferent in which product I like to sell. product A is out of stock, product B is on stock. it I'm indifferent, which do I want to push to sell now? product B
    Thats actually the most logical explanation.

Superior Member

PSN ID
    martin_blank
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercrow View Post
    Yep the PS4 just sells itself. No help needed.
    A hundred bucks less for the most next gen of the next gen from the launch performance perspective sells itself, that's for sure. I wonder how much most people buying PS4s know about PS+, now that it's required for online play on PS4. PS+ required for online features, $50, XBL Gold required for online features, $60. Ten bucks annual, but ten bucks annual is ten bucks annual. The big difference is for people with legacy consoles. Right now, with XBL Gold you get online features plus a bunch of stuff PS4 does not put behind the paywall -- Netflix, etc. -- a couple XOne games and a couple Xbox 360 games. With PS+ you get online features, a couple PS4 games and a truckload of PS3 games. If you jumped on PS+ at PS4 launch, you've got not a truckload but a full boatload of PS3 games, not to mention Vita games if you have a Vita. And some of those games are still around, haven't expired yet. Not to mention Sony is slamming PS+ this month. DmC is a great game, purist discontent or not. Later this month, BioShock Infinite rolled into the price of PS+, that's kind of a very big deal. I doubt you'll see it anytime soon for 360 with XBL Gold. I expect it's at least a timed exclusive subscription plan arrangement between Sony and Take2. And it's a game some people really wanted to play but wouldn't buy since there's no multiplayer component. Some people just flat refuse to buy games, no matter how good, no matter how well hyped, without multiplayer. Hell, Grid 2 is still hanging around on PS+, it's not very old, and at least a couple of reviews called it the best all-around racer of this console generation. That's a lot of stuff with PS+. It's not really "free," of course, but at only 50 bucks a year for access to the games, it may as well be. Feels free. XBL Gold feels like you're paying for online features and Netflix -- the latter you already pay for, anyway.

Super Elite
    I can believe it. In my stores that are local they have x1 kiosk up and took the ps4's out or in the back along where the ps4 games and accessories are while everything xbox is in the front. But the ps4's are sold out while the x1's are still in the store.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] In the darkest abyss I still see you with my perfect sharigan young jedi!

PSN ID
    Ix_DarkDragon_
    If Microsoft really sold X amount of Consoles, then how come there are still a lot of Xbox Ones in Stock? You should expect these Consoles to be sold out during the Holiday Season, especially when this is a Launch Console. Either way, I guess Microsoft is trying to advertise as much as they can for people to buy the Console. Not only that, the $500 price tag is a bit too heavy for many people to purchase.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Quote Originally Posted by FinalSynFrey View Post
    If Microsoft really sold X amount of Consoles, then how come there are still a lot of Xbox Ones in Stock? You should expect these Consoles to be sold out during the Holiday Season, especially when this is a Launch Console. Either way, I guess Microsoft is trying to advertise as much as they can for people to buy the Console. Not only that, the $500 price tag is a bit too heavy for many people to purchase.
    If they sold X but made Y... Y > X?

You know when it boils right down to it it is all about the dollars...

Thread Information