Page 1 of 3 1 ... LastLast
    Forum Sage
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Several Steam Machines' specs and prices revealed

Valve has revealed numerous details about the upcoming onslaught of Steam Machines in a brochure distributed at CES.

As reported by
    Polygon, these machines will range greatly in price and system specs with even the cheapest models being on par with an Xbox One in the US, while the most expensive model by Falcon Northwest costs as much as twelve Xbox Ones. It's also worth noting that some models are customisable and prices vary depending on how much you trick them out. For example, the Digital Storm Bolt 2 is listed as being $2584 here, but it starts at $1899.

Alternate - $1339

• CPU - Intel Core i5 4570
    • Graphics - Gigabyte GTX 760
    • RAM - 16GB
    • Storage - 1TB SSHD

CyberPowerPC - $499 and up

• CPU - AMD/Intel Core i5 CPU
    • Graphics - AMD Radeon R9 270/Nvidia GTX 760
    • RAM - 8GB
    • Storage - 500GB

Digital Storm Bolt 2 - $2,584

• CPU - Intel Core i7 4770K
    • Graphics - GTX 780 Ti
    • RAM - 16GB
    • Storage - 1TB HDD + 120 GB SSD

Gigabyte Brix Pro - TBD

• CPU - Intel Core i7-4770R
    • Graphics - Intel Iris Pro 5200
    • RAM - 2 x 4GB
    • Storage - 1TB SATA 6Gb/sata

Falcon Northwest - $1,799 to $6000

• CPU - customisable
    • Graphics - Nvidia GeForce GTX Titan
    • RAM - 8 to 16 GB
    • Storage - up to 6 TB

iBuyPower - $499 and up

• CPU - Quad core AMD or Intel
    • Graphics - Radeon GCN Graphics
    • RAM - 8GB
    • Storage - 500GB+

Materiel.net - $1,098

• CPU - Intel Core i5 4440
    • Graphics - MSI GeForce GTX 760 OC
    • RAM - 8GB
    • Storage - 8 GB + 1 TB SSHD

Next SPA - price TBD

• CPU - Intel Core i5
    • Graphics - Nvidia GT 760
    • RAM - 8GB
    • Storage - 1TB

Origin PC Chronos - price TBD

• CPU - Intel Core i7 4770K (3.9 to 4.6 GHz)
    • Graphics - 2 x 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX Titans

Scan NC 10 - $1,090

• CPU - Intel Core i3 4000M
    • Graphics - Nvidia GeForce GTX 765M
    • RAM - 8GB
    • Storage - 500GB

Webhallen - $1,499

• CPU - Intel Core i7
    • Graphics - Nvidia GT 780
    • RAM - 16GB
    • Storage - 1TB SSHD

Zotac - $599

• CPU - Intel Core (TBD)
    • Graphics - Nvidia GeForce GTX
    • RAM - TBD

Storage - TBD

Alienware's Steam Machine is mysteriously absent from the brochure, but it is in development and will look like this:

[COLOR=black][FONT=Proxima]Valve founder Gabe Newell noted during his CES keynote that the developer currently has 250 games running on SteamOS with more on the way.

When asked if Valve would create its own Steam Machine, Newell said, "We're gonna make that decision as we go along," according to a report by Endgadget. The enigmatic developer then added, "We have plans to build more machines as customers ask." So far there are only 300 prototypes for a Valve-made Steam Machine.

Source

Veteran

PSN ID
    Cybertox
    No thanks, I stick to my oversized desktop beasts with 1000 watt power supplies, overclocked cpus and dual gpus. However I must say that for such a size and price those boxes are decent hardware but when I want a new system I do not aim for decent performance, I aim for best performance.

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    The i7 with 780 and 16GB will perform very well.

This one must be tiny.

CPU - Intel Core i3 4000M
    Graphics - Nvidia GeForce GTX 765M
    RAM - 8GB
    Storage - 500GB

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    The i7 with 780 and 16GB will perform very well.

This one must be tiny.
    Yeah they should be interesting to keep an eye on. I bet it would be, essentially a laptop!

i like what they are doing but I'm planning out dreaming up a small BitFenix Prodigy Mini-ITX build. that will be water cooled and will house an i7 and whichever top end Nvidia GPU there is by the time I get a chance to build it.

Steam machines seem great aimed at those who don't want to build their own small form factor PC.

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    You know Bitfenix do mATX size of that case. Gives you more options for motherboards and stuff.

http://www.bitfenix.com/global/en/pr...sis/prodigy-m/
    Last edited by keefy; 01-07-2014 at 12:07.

Forum Sage
    Ooh.... That's actually really handy. Micro ATX seems to be really expensive to get a decent one. I know I've not long built my PC but I've now got the itch to build a small one.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    I'm definitely not on the Steambox train.

Miqo'te Bard
    Items New User TitleProtect yourselfFull Metal AlchemistFangDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverBattlefield 3Title StyleUser name style
    Yeah I think I will just stick with hooking my pc to the tv and a controller. That is pretty much what I do now anyways. Lots of options though which is good.

Forum Sage
    Yeah i'm unlikely to buy one, but i do want to get my hands on the Steam controller as soon as I physically can. My 360 pad for my PC is busted and I want a controller for my racing games.

I think that the Steam machines are very much a niche product. I have no intentions of buying one as I rather build my own small form factor PC but no doubt some of these machines will look amazing, chassis wise.

There will be some interesting ones with the Steam Machines priced competitively with the new consoles. CyberPower's one seems to be the closest at $499 whilst offering more performance than both the PS4 and Xbone.

it's an interesting time for those who want to get into PC gaming but don't want the hassle of building their own. Which is odd because i find bulding your own machine is half of the fun but each to their own.

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    Totally agree, spending a whole day putting together your PC, making sure that you fit everything snug, keeping wires out of the way, and getting to know the ins and outs of what you're doing plus seeing the process being done just makes it feel like it's truly your machine that you brought up - it also makes me threaten anyone that dares to touch it.

Those Steamboxes though price wise are actually pretty competitive with custom builds, that dual Titan build is going to be over $3k!

Forum Sage
    Yup. i know it's bad but I look down on those that buy pre-built machines because building your own is so easy there's no reason not to do so. Just dedicate an evening to it and you'll see your PC start off as load of separate boxes before it combines into one box and you nervously wait to see if it POST'ed correctly.

Plus once you've built one you see how easy it is and you have the confidence to rip it apart and put new bits in and fix it.

Now I've built my first water cooled loop i'm looking forward to a few years time when I build another desktop and I'll put EVERYTHING under water cooling and maybe have two separate loops for the GPU's, RAM, HDDs, Motherboard and CPU. I find it hard to love a console that everyone has but I find it hard not to love my PC that i know very few people with have an identical set up of/

Anyway, that's off topic. I'm keeping my eyes on these steam machines because the sooner they are released in the wild the sooner i can buy a Steam controller

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    Ooo good point, that Owl looks fantastic! Finally a new generation of controller is about to start.

Oh and I love consoles, but if I was given any amount of money to destroy all of my consoles and computers, I would literally destroy everything but my PC, I'm sorry but my PC is my baby, I made her in many months (of planning) and brought her up. Ok I think I need to now see a psychiatrist.

Hmm a mineral oil build might be on the cards at some point in the future.

Forum Sage
    Ooh I'd be too scared to do a mineral oil build! There was that Bioshock one kicking about which looked amazing! Was very jealous but i don't have the cojones.

Friendship is Carrots
    This may be interesting if the different Steamboxes exist to also compete against each, thus forcing additional competition within their own little sect of the industry. I doubt it, though.

I also doubt this whole thing will really take off. I'm not too convinced yet that there's currently a market of potential gamers looking for these kind of devices. The difference between PC gaming mostly boils down to a difference of available finances and spare time for one's gaming hobby. It's an ingrained thing, and I believe there's a fair line between those looking to buy a console or two and be happy with that and those wanting to actually dig into the intricate details of PC gaming to receive its benefits.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]
    - [PSN] - [Programmers' Corner]

Forum Overseer
    so what's the point of these again? i was really hoping for one SKU (and was ok with 2-3). i don't get the point if everyone is going to come out with one. come on valve, you're not getting it.

maybe they want support in the beginning, i would "expect" them to make their own or cut down on the SKUs moving forward. i don't get the point otherwise. the point is to have a specialized system. now, granted, their OS is going to do that for the most part but i was hoping for more specialization.

i feel like this is more of a beta but i think they will move towards less SKUs...hopefully. though having less SKUs is also not a good business decision. they know PC gamers either don't know or don't care about the benefits...most of the times it's "both" of those things. there is more money to be made with more SKUs but less potential of this idea in the end.

Friendship is Carrots
    An innate advantage of PC gaming is how variable the hardware can be to meet what you're wanting or able to pay for. It makes sense that the prices and SKUs would vary greatly to cover more of the potential buyer base.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    If there's one thing about PC gaming is that it's impossible to keep to a few SKUs as you would need to make a new one every few months, PC gaming moves so rapidly nowadays. In a way Valve have nothing to do with the SteamBox specs yet at the same time have everything to do with them, sounds like an oxymoron but it's true.

All Valve are doing are concentrating on the OS and making sure that it's as intuitive to use as possible and just right for those that are used to today's consoles, this is where Valve's responsibilities lie. Then you have the other side where Valve have a partnership with other companies to create these SteamBoxes, the difference here being that Valve only supply them the OS, the manufacturer's on the other hand are like "let's give the consumer a wide range of SKUs so that it can cater to someone with a low budget that is fine with playing the latest games at a decent framerate, to someone that has the money to splash out and play a game with all the bells and whistles - at the same time these boxes can be upgraded with individual components.

If *nix is to ever take off and compete with Windows then this is the first step, we know that, Valve knows that, and it seems that whichever manufacturer is involved think that this is a golden opportunity to make some quick money. The hype around the SteamBox is pretty high now and let's face it, a cheap $400 SteamBox will have a game collection of 300+ games right from the off and run better than the console counterparts.

If you were someone with $500 and you had the option of a SteamBox (potential thousands of games already and can do anything you like with it), a PS4 (exclusives with media functions), or an XB1 (same as PS4) which would you choose? Considering that with the SteamBox you can play a tonne of Indie titles that are coming to the PS4 and XB1 already and you can play with much better graphics and be more smoother, well it's a no brainer. On top of that you already have some big titles on Linux via Steam such as DOTA, Metro, Amnesia, hell the entire Valve catalogue is reason enough! On top of that Linux is very well known to have full complete backwards compatibility unlike Windows.

As long as the console consumers can understand what the SteamBox can give you then Valve are onto a winner, they just have to market the SteamBox appropriately as a potential go to PC migration console. Will it sell more than the XB1 or PS4? Most likely only get a fraction of the amount but it's clearly meant for Valve to move away from Windows and give PC consumers a true alternative to Windows and in that regards I believe this is going to work, slowly at the start but then word of mouth will change things. Give it 3 years and you'll see the momentum gain traction.

Forum Sage
    Valve themselves will be releasing 3 different tiers of these steam machines. So far these are just announced licensed ones.

These aren't aimed at your typical PC gamer. It's aimed at people who want to get in on the PC gaming pie in the living room without doing it themselves

Forum Overseer
    oh yea, i know what you mean. the whole point is to get some of the people (who are especially like myself that are familiar with PC gaming) and get these people to jump aboard. but yeah, varsh makes a good point, i don't think they could keep a few SKUs even if they wanted to.

I guess as long as they work on the OS, that's what...half the battle right there and it's something that we can do something about. there are other major issues with PC gaming and this is taking out a huge chunk of that.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    An innate advantage of PC gaming is how variable the hardware can be to meet what you're wanting or able to pay for. It makes sense that the prices and SKUs would vary greatly to cover more of the potential buyer base.
    Do they have one for someone that just wants to play PC games at 60fps even at really low settings? I'd pay $200NZD for one .

#IndieStation4 and proud of it.

Friendship is Carrots
    Short Answer: No.

Long Answer: That's 165.76$, according to Google. You're not getting anything besides a $#@!ty email and facebook browser for that much. However with that money you could squeeze a budget of 300$ and build a decent APU build that can run even newer games on medium-high settings. Those are excellent for people wanting to play PC games but don't much care for for its higher extravagances. An extra 100$ would get you a dedicated GPU such as a 7770. You'd be well set with that for pretty much any game.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    Short Answer: No.

Long Answer: That's 165.76$, according to Google. You're not getting anything besides a $#@!ty email and facebook browser for that much. However with that money you could squeeze a budget of 300$ and build a decent APU build that can run even newer games on medium-high settings. Those are excellent for people wanting to play PC games but don't much care for for its higher extravagances. An extra 100$ would get you a dedicated GPU such as a 7770. You'd be well set with that for pretty much any game.
    That price was a random tongue-in cheek.

but you say, $300, that's USD right? I wouldn't mind spending that much for a decent one to run something like Rome TW2.

#IndieStation4 and proud of it.

Friendship is Carrots
    There's people playing games like Shogun 2, Battlefield 4, FarCry 3, Assassins Creed 4, etc on these APU's (specifically the 6800k) getting medium-high settings, 40-60fps at 1600x900 - 1920x1080p. I'm sure Rome 2 isn't too different. You're simply not going to get incredible performance out of a 130$ APU, so for new games you will need to lower the settings. But if the bells and whistles don't really concern you then it'd be worth looking into. Not to mention it'd open up an otherwise huge backlog of excellent PC games that you can play without any hindrance, and generally offer better performance and multitasking capabilities for things besides gaming.

If you're ever interested then PM me or make a thread some time over in the PC section.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]

Forum Overseer
    having Linux running should open up a lot of resources, I think the benchmarks are going to change quite a bit.

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    Left 4 Dead 2 was running at over 300FPS back in April 2012 and on Windows 8 around 250FPS, that's quite a big difference already and that's with immature drivers and coding for the game on Linux (Ubuntu). Imagine having all of the resources for the system purely on SteamOS and being super lean, I'd imagine it would hit a good 350FPS.

Yes I know these high frame rates seems pointless but you can feel the difference, but damn at that FPS count even I would have to enable VSync on my 120Hz monitors...

Thread Information