Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 3
    Elite Member
    I truly do not understand what place these things have in the market...
    Why not just call it a PC and be done with it? It seems as if these companies can throw almost any OS on it...

Forum Overseer
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzano-O View Post
    I truly do not understand what place these things have in the market...
    Why not just call it a PC and be done with it? It seems as if these companies can throw almost any OS on it...
    it is a PC. it's just not windows.

and they can throw whatever they want on it but the games won't run like they would on steam OS because they are likely going to get support from games that either have steam OS focused in their code OR they might get games specifically designed for Steam.

both are win-win for gamers. the more support this thing gets, the more bright PC future is. gamers won't be stuck with what MS decides to pull out of their ass with windows again.

3. Likes PS4freak , F34R likes this post
    Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    I definitely think it could help pc gaming. Take out Windows and have an OS that is optimized for the PC games. Sufi made a great point.

Forum Overseer
    not to mention, i can't even imagine what they would be able to do (even if not as valve but once this matures, i'm sure other companies will jump in to help) with a dedicated gaming OS for PC.

do you guys realize how big of a change this will bring? imagine not paying $1000+ to get the best graphics out there. you would have the benefits of PC gaming BUT also enjoy the benefits of what makes specialized systems special (consoles).

you guys are moving towards a future that is win-win on all ends. if this takes off, i might get back into PC gaming again.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    not to mention, i can't even imagine what they would be able to do (even if not as valve but once this matures, i'm sure other companies will jump in to help) with a dedicated gaming OS for PC.

do you guys realize how big of a change this will bring? imagine not paying $1000+ to get the best graphics out there. you would have the benefits of PC gaming BUT also enjoy the benefits of what makes specialized systems special (consoles).

you guys are moving towards a future that is win-win on all ends. if this takes off, i might get back into PC gaming again.
    I think there will always been that high price point in order to get the "best" visuals out of a game. I don't want games to be paired back in order to run on these boxes; while those with high end PC's won't have any benefit of the high end spectrum.

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    I think there will always been that high price point in order to get the "best" visuals out of a game. I don't want games to be paired back in order to run on these boxes; while those with high end PC's won't have any benefit of the high end spectrum.
    oh no no that's not what i meant. yes, there will always be higher end cards but the difference will be that you will likely get twice the performance so if you're getting a titan, you really need a much better reason than just running it at 1080p at 60fps with full details.

basically, PC is back in game against consoles. because the gap between them was closing down, now PC really has a good shot at keeping those prices down while providing a great bang for the buck. basically, once this matures, it will be a serious contender to consoles once again.

right now PC does things better but also requires knowledge, money and still has drawbacks from certain things (game development, ease-of-play etc.). this should remove most of these issues.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    it is a PC. it's just not windows.

and they can throw whatever they want on it but the games won't run like they would on steam OS because they are likely going to get support from games that either have steam OS focused in their code OR they might get games specifically designed for Steam.

both are win-win for gamers. the more support this thing gets, the more bright PC future is. gamers won't be stuck with what MS decides to pull out of their ass with windows again.
    Yeah having a dedicated OS that is gaming eccentric can only mean a good thing. Not to mention I'm sure it's light on the amount of resources it uses too compared to Windows. It can only be good. Well that is if it's user friendly.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Forum Overseer
    they won't have an issue making it user-friendly. it will definitely be more game-focused so i can guarantee you it will be more user friendly than windows. not that i find windows difficult, speaking from a casual gamer's perspective or those that have this as an issue while gaming on PCs.

let's not forget PS4 is also a modified version of FreeBSD and that looks nothing like the actual OS. it's all about what they do with it.

i reckon most apps (especially in the beginning) provided to gamers will be made by valve or associated with valve. they are going to start up on something that is a behemoth. we're just on the tip of the iceberg. very exciting times.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    I have no doubt it will be either it is an OS designed by a gaming company. They will create something that is easily accessible much like the stream platform. Which I honestly think is very easy to navigate. Like I said earlier, the biggest deal I think is that it won't be a resource hog like Windows can be at times. I'm thinking less clutter for a smoother gaming experience much like OS that is on consoles but more advanced.

Forum Overseer
    oh right i forgot about steam lol. drrr. that is probably going to be the main menu for it. the will likely modify it for the OS experience and expand it but i feel like steam was likely their beta for the OS. smart idea. first take over the app then take over the OS.

damn, and we only knew of valve as HL makers...they are going to take over, mark my words.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    It is amazing looking back on the history of Steam. It's insane how fast they moved up and how efficiently they did it. Gabe has his $#@! together fir sure.

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    The Steam OS can run regular apps too, you can add various repos to download and update those apps.

Here is more info
    http://steamcommunity.com/groups/ste...4395741989999/

Steam OS forum
    http://steamcommunity.com/groups/ste...discussions/1/
    Last edited by keefy; 01-09-2014 at 20:21.

Forum Overseer
    oh i'm sure. that's why it's exciting. i'm experienced with linux now (over a year) and i'm definitely going to jump into this in the next year.

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Intel and AMD graphics now supported.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/ste...6742494478600/

Friendship is Carrots
    point, again being, just because your computer is fast enough, does not mean that we should not care about efficiency because right now you're throwing RAM at it to work well and you'll be in that cycle until you start to care about efficiency from an objective point of view (and i know you do, i'm just trying to make a point about windows).
    I think you're conflating the size of the actual OS and its resources in operation with Window's method of caching potential data. Caching data that may be used for quicker loading times is certainly efficient. What you're wanting is for the OS itself to be more lite.

The thing is that an operating system really doesn't need to be any larger than it is now, while RAM sizes will continue increasing anyway. Most people now have at least 4GB of RAM. I don't see an issue here.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]
    - [PSN] - [Programmers' Corner]

Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    This is definitely not the case at all. Stored data is assigned to processes. Unless you have programs running in the background or a memory leak present, then you have nothing to worry about. I have 8GB of RAM and regularly use up to 5-7GB because I often have multiple (some heavy) programs running (games, Photoshop, SAI, Adobe Illustrator, Firefox, Steam, Skype, music... tons of stuff really).
    By the same token I can have skype, pidgin, avidemux encoding a video, gimp, firefox playing flash, nomacs (image viewer), transmission (torrent client) vlc playing video all running and compile and not hit 700mb of ram (no disk swapping).
    WOOF! WOOF!

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    I think you're conflating the size of the actual OS and its resources in operation with Window's method of caching potential data. Caching data that may be used for quicker loading times is certainly efficient. What you're wanting is for the OS itself to be more lite.

The thing is that an operating system really doesn't need to be any larger than it is now, while RAM sizes will continue increasing anyway. Most people now have at least 4GB of RAM. I don't see an issue here.
    yeah, my argument wasn't about the caching because i know that's needed. i did mean about the OS being lighter rather than more bloated as we progress. also the 4GB is not enough for Windows 8, even if you keep it clean. there are too many apps now that take up too much RAM. and we don't know how bloated Windows is going to get moving forward, considering the trend is that it just keeps getting bigger overall.

Forum Sage
    yeah, my argument wasn't about the caching because i know that's needed. i did mean about the OS being lighter rather than more bloated as we progress. also the 4GB is not enough for Windows 8, even if you keep it clean. there are too many apps now that take up too much RAM. and we don't know how bloated Windows is going to get moving forward, considering the trend is that it just keeps getting bigger overall.
    As someone who has a computer running W7 with 3GB of ram, I find it hard to believe that W8 (which is more efficient than W7) has trouble with 4GB of ram.

Um, W8 uses less resources than W7, so that "trend" doesn't exist.

Thread Information