Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast
    Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    BTW, if X1 doesn't hit 50 mil then I doubt MS will remain in the console biz.
    This.^ I doubt they would as well.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    nordost
    I guess if "both consoles were mostly sold out" means every time I walked into target they had xbones behind the glass case then yeah I guess they were sold out

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefein View Post
    They bet on the wrong horse. The casual-only gamer is long gone. The mid-core console gamer will go where the hard core goes. Mark my words, the XBox One zigged when the market zagged. WiiU is in the exact same boat. The market is Sonys for the taking.
    That's what I've been saying since they announced it.

Please help our Final Fantasy Community get off the ground:
    http://forums.final7fantasy.com/

4. Likes Lefein likes this post
    Forum Elder
    Sony would be like "next" and hang a stuffed xbone on their wall.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Elite Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    MS planned on the xbone being their last console. Idk if they still feel that way due to having to change the xbone's original vision but in their leaked document, they stated that Cloud gaming would take over and there would never be a need to upgrade consoles ever again.

Destiny and Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor is all I need for the rest of the year.

As of right now, F Destiny.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    They bet on the wrong horse. The casual-only gamer is long gone. The mid-core console gamer will go where the hard core goes. Mark my words, the XBox One zigged when the market zagged. WiiU is in the exact same boat. The market is Sonys for the taking.
    Maybe.

But the casual family/parent that wants a device that has some "cool" factor is always there. And Kinect does that (especially with the second one) along with the TV stuff and gaming it already does.

It may not for many gamers, sure, it doesn't for me. But it doesn't mean there aren't more people that may be potentially for it.

#IndieStation4 and proud of it.

8. Likes VayMasters86 likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by admartian View Post
    Maybe.

But the casual family/parent that wants a device that has some "cool" factor is always there. And Kinect does that (especially with the second one) along with the TV stuff and gaming it already does.

It may not for many gamers, sure, it doesn't for me. But it doesn't mean there aren't more people that may be potentially for it.
    Not at its pricepoint. The whole family said no to having a BluRay player last gen at that price point. Nope. Aunt Bessies old iPad 2 is what is sitting under the tree for Johnny and Susie casual this year. Word up.
    Last edited by Lefein; 01-08-2014 at 19:41.

10. Likes AaronSOLDIER likes this post
    Valar Morghulis
    PSN ID
    SerinousTSE
    Items PS3 FatVitaPS3 Slim

What Sony's '4.2 Million PS4s Sold' Figure Actually Means

Maybe.

most casuals I know of don't spend $500+ on some "cool features". one reason that Wii sold so well last gen was because it had "cool features" like motion gaming at a super affordable price.

it proved to be short lives though. most casual people I know who owns a Wii don't touch it anymore.

12. Likes VayMasters86 likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Not at its pricepoint. The whole family said no to having a BluRay player last gen at that price point. Nope. Aunt Bessies old iPad 2 is what is sitting under the tree for Johnny and Susie casual this year. Word up.
    lol yep

Please help our Final Fantasy Community get off the ground:
    http://forums.final7fantasy.com/

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Quote Originally Posted by Serinous View Post
    most casuals I know of don't spend $500+ on some "cool features". one reason that Wii sold so well last gen was because it had "cool features" like motion gaming at a super affordable price.

it proved to be short lives though. most casual people I know who owns a Wii don't touch it anymore.
    I'm not saying it's the ONLY thing people want - but some people don't think that way. If someone is looking at the PS4 and XB1 - all that Kinect stuff and ads they see on tv (as well as the tv tv ads ) may be the pushing point.

Of course, each consumer is motivated by different things, but it's sold 3 million so far at that price point. It's not impossible to say that it won't sell well at all.

Ultimate Veteran
    I'm not saying it's the ONLY thing people want - but some people don't think that way. If someone is looking at the PS4 and XB1 - all that Kinect stuff and ads they see on tv (as well as the tv tv ads ) may be the pushing point.

Of course, each consumer is motivated by different things, but it's sold 3 million so far at that price point. It's not impossible to say that it won't sell well at all.
    ??? We know for a fact that XBox One was sitting on shelves in December, even in the US. That 3 Million figure doesn't carry the same weight as PS4s. PS4 sightings are few and far between. Stores get shipments and then they disappear. Two VERY different stories here.

The retail channel is starting to get filled with one console, the other is back-ordered for months seemingly. If PS4 wasn't sitting at close to 1.5x the amount of units sold to retail, I'd chalk it up to scarcity. That's not the case. Not even close. Not even in the same universe. XBox One has lost big traction in the two markets that carried the 360 last gen. I have never seen a console collect dust it's opening year during the holidays ever. Not since the 3DO and CD-i.
    Last edited by Lefein; 01-08-2014 at 20:45.

16. Likes VayMasters86 likes this post
    PSU Editor
    PSN ID
    LupeOneLeo
    Quote Originally Posted by mickice View Post
    Um yes it is, until Xbox One updates with Twitch streaming and other core PS4 features plus some sort of graphic parity PS4 is going to steam roll to the lead.
    Right now we have Xbox Ones sitting on shelves, they couldn't even match the PS4's demand and its ok, its been an uphill battle for Microsoft since day 1
    There's already graphic parity. The only difference between Xbox One's graphics and PS4's (so far) is resolution, and the distinction is not really that big. Resolution alone does not necessarily make graphics noticeably inferior, unless perhaps you are playing on an enormous TV. We'll have to wait until later in the cycle to see where the graphic parity really stands, and whether or not Microsoft can lighten the load the system carries to make higher resolutions possible on some games.

Don't forget, Xbox One also has its own feature set. Though its standout features have little to do with gaming, Xbox users seem to be enjoying their TV integration. Sony is working on something to do with TV as well, however, so us PlayStation folks will have some TV to go along with our awesome gaming too.

A 50 million lead is never going to happen. Perhaps if Microsoft hadn't pulled its famous 180 it would be possible, but Microsoft has actually turned things around quite nicely to have gotten 3 million sales at this point after that fiasco. Sorry, but Microsoft is going to provide plenty of competition for the PS4, especially with its rabid fanbase. It would take another catastrophe on Microsoft's side for them to trail THAT far behind.

Also, let me remind you that as much as I love PlayStation, it would be a dark day for gamers indeed if Sony crushed Microsoft so spectacularly. Microsoft's E3 presentation last year (feels weird saying "last year" right now, lol) and Sony's PS3 launch back in 2006 are examples of what happens when a company gets too powerful--and it wouldn't have changed if the competition hadn't been there. I think you should drop the fence, because Xbox or PlayStation or Dreamcast or what have you, we're all gamers, and if we want to continue enjoying our favorite pastime we're going to need this competition.
    Last edited by TotallyNotGlenn; 01-08-2014 at 23:34. Reason: Fixed a grammatical error.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    ??? We know for a fact that XBox One was sitting on shelves in December, even in the US. That 3 Million figure doesn't carry the same weight as PS4s. PS4 sightings are few and far between. Stores get shipments and then they disappear. Two VERY different stories here.

The retail channel is starting to get filled with one console, the other is back-ordered for months seemingly. If PS4 wasn't sitting at close to 1.5x the amount of units sold to retail, I'd chalk it up to scarcity. That's not the case. Not even close. Not even in the same universe. XBox One has lost big traction in the two markets that carried the 360 last gen. I have never seen a console collect dust it's opening year during the holidays ever. Not since the 3DO and CD-i.
    That's a supply issue to me. Like you said, "two very different stories".

Please, let's not act like MS/Xbox is going out of business, and like that'll be a good thing. It'll most likely sell less than the PS4, but it won't be a "failure".

Sorry.

19. Likes VayMasters86 likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran
    Lucky for both of you, there's a new guy in town, and his DNA is gaming through and through.

The dance goes on, with or without XBox.

Superior Member

Meh, I already have a steam box, well 3 actually, one's even portable with a rechargeable battery and built in monitor.

What exactly do steam boxs add that laptops/pcs can't already do? What annoyances do they remove from PCs to make them worth it? Prices are not much different, Devs still have to deal with open boxes. I can't see them really being better than what we currently have when all things considered.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparc View Post
    For goodness sake I hope nobody thinks to start labelling the console an Xbrick,
    oops
    -Regarding the Xbone A.K.A. the Xbrick

"Faith - that's another word for ignorance isn't it?" -House

22. Likes Yungstar 2006 likes this post
    Veteran
    Items Manchester United
    Meh@steambox. It'll come n go..just like all the others.

Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    That's a supply issue to me. Like you said, "two very different stories".

Please, let's not act like MS/Xbox is going out of business, and like that'll be a good thing. It'll most likely sell less than the PS4, but it won't be a "failure".

Sorry.
    Yeah, the only thing that is possibly going to put Xbox about of business is Microsoft. MS could take a loss on Xbox for 10 years and not even begin to feel it. Thing is that the definition of "failure", in the real sense, is determined by MS' stockholders. There was some rumbling last year by analysts that MS should punt the Xbox brand to some other company. No idea if that will ever happen, but if X1 falters and falls behind too much then I'd say it isn't out of the realm of possibility.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by VayMasters86 View Post
    Meh, I already have a steam box, well 3 actually, one's even portable with a rechargeable battery and built in monitor.

What exactly do steam boxs add that laptops/pcs can't already do? What annoyances do they remove from PCs to make them worth it? Prices are not much different, Devs still have to deal with open boxes. I can't see them really being better than what we currently have when all things considered.
    Pricepoint
    Specs
    Controller
    Interface out of the box

The thing is a console, not a PC. No more or less so than the original XBox was to be bluntly honest here.

Forum Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Originally Posted by Christopher
    They may not need to if it's going digital. Same with sony.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Lucky for both of you, there's a new guy in town, and his DNA is gaming through and through.

The dance goes on, with or without XBox.
    Pricepoint
    Specs
    Controller
    Interface out of the box

The thing is a console, not a PC. No more or less so than the original XBox was to be bluntly honest here.
    It's a PC. That's what it'll play. PC games. It's a PC. Not sure where it's not a pc. I'm sorry, it's a Steam "Console". smh

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Sony's in a good place. The brand awareness is increasing and all the pieces of the PlayStation ecosystem are coming together and it's clear how the mantra of "the best place to play" is driving its development. They have 3 generations of nostalgia that they're about to unleash on just about every platform including non Sony products, this generations most powerful console, some of the industries best studios and a track record for a lot of content. Sony's vision is a lot clearer and the message has been consistently clear from the start. MS is by no means in the crapper but really has to pull its finger out and start painting a picture of where its going.

IMHO...the Sony ecosystem is becoming the skynet of gaming, all of this remote play, cross everything, cloud power, with the powerful console/portable tech + 3 generations of content.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Sony's in a good place. The brand awareness is increasing and all the pieces of the PlayStation ecosystem are coming together and it's clear how the mantra of "the best place to play" is driving its development. They have 3 generations of nostalgia that they're about to unleash on just about every platform including non Sony products, this generations most powerful console, some of the industries best studios and a track record for a lot of content. Sony's vision is a lot clearer and the message has been consistently clear from the start. MS is by no means in the crapper but really has to pull its finger out and start painting a picture of where its going.

IMHO...the Sony ecosystem is becoming the skynet of gaming, all of this remote play, cross everything, cloud power, with the powerful console/portable tech + 3 generations of content.
    You make it sound too easy...lol We've known that this industry was going to go digital for some time now. As for ms painting a picture of where its going, they have been doing that. They have been pushing for cloud and digital content for a while now. Thats why they started their Azure project many years ago. This is where gaming content is headed. I do find it funny that some of the same people who said cloud gaming talk was just PR are singing a different tune now....lol

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Digital is fine. It;'s just too early for it to go "EVERYTHING/ALL OUT DIGITAL" at this point.

It's inevitable, but if Sony or MS were to flat out do it next gen, it'd be too early imo. But hey, providing that consumers are ready, no offence, but just because some on message boards being ready does not = a 'good amount' or even close to the majority of consumers.

So yeah, not against it or even don't believe that it will happen - just a matter of timing and capability.

Forum Sage
    Digital is fine. It;'s just too early for it to go "EVERYTHING/ALL OUT DIGITAL" at this point.

It's inevitable, but if Sony or MS were to flat out do it next gen, it'd be too early imo. But hey, providing that consumers are ready, no offence, but just because some on message boards being ready does not = a 'good amount' or even close to the majority of consumers.

So yeah, not against it or even don't believe that it will happen - just a matter of timing and capability.
    It is too early to go all out digital. One thing I know is that some people hate change. Especially gamers. We all know how stubborn they can be. I remember when Apple was pushing for digital music content and so many were against it, including the music industry itself. Now look at it. Digital is the most preferred. People came around to it.

Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    You make it sound too easy...lol We've known that this industry was going to go digital for some time now. As for ms painting a picture of where its going, they have been doing that. They have been pushing for cloud and digital content for a while now. Thats why they started their Azure project many years ago. This is where gaming content is headed. I do find it funny that some of the same people who said cloud gaming talk was just PR are singing a different tune now....lol
    Different tune about something entirely different, yeah. Or did I miss where MS was promoting game streaming when they were talking about the cloud and X1? All I remember is drivatar, changing wave patterns, and stuff like that.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

33. Likes Admartian likes this post

Thread Information