Page 1 of 3 1 ... LastLast
    Elite Sage
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

AT LAST!! Asus ROG 27'' 2560x1440 120Hz G-Sync monitor. What dreams are made of!

New at CES: The ROG SWIFT PG278Q – a 27” 1400p 120Hz Monitor for $800 with G-SYNC
    Several months ago I was looking at new monitors, deciding whether I wanted a 1440p or 120 Hz panel. No one panel I could find would offer both, but ASUS have jumped that barrier today by announcing the ROG SWIFT PG278Q, fully equipped with G-SYNC.
    The PG278Q, along with the 2560x1440 resolution, 120 Hz refresh rate, 1 ms response time and G-SYNC, also comes with ASUS GamePlus, an OSD overlay that puts crosshairs and a timer function on the monitor display, allowing users to hone their skills (or aid in various gameplay environments). The monitor has a single DP1.2 port for native WQHD, dual USB 3.0 ports and VESA wall mount capability, along with a 6mm bezel to minimize overlap in multi-monitor setups.
    Source

YES!

It won't come as a surprise to anyone that frequents this section of the forum that I am a massive lover of all things 120Hz and up. I've been slightly jealous of those rocking 2560x1440 for a while now as i imagine that extra real estate to be very useful but I've found it impossible to want to give up the 120Hz refresh rate i currently have with 1920x1080. Once you get used to it, there is no going back.

Every few weeks I search the internet for the holy grail (in my eyes) that is 120Hz until i stumbled across this article today!

I haven't been this excited in a long time! Looks like this second GTX780 is going to be needed sooner than I thought.

Move over 1080p. You've had your time!

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    When I require a monitor I will be going for a G-sync. It means you do not need a super powerful GPU to get smooth (so we are told) vsync. The 120Hz isnt mandatory to lessen the input lag because with gsync it isnt there to begin with

OMG they actually put a crosshair on screen so now we need not a piece of blu tack or tape. Not that I ever di it.
    Last edited by keefy; 01-08-2014 at 16:20.

Master Sage
    Items User name style
    Its a TN panel and its $800.
    Without the G-Sync i can get a Overlord IPS 1440p monitor that i can overclock to 120Hz for $400-$500.

I love Asus but that monitor is a total rip off right now. I will wait for a IPS version for $500.

PSU Technical Advisor
    Time for me to get educated: what's the difference between IPS and TN?

Veteran

PSN ID
    Cybertox
    Now that is a nice monitor, good piece of hardware and 800$ seems to be reasonable. I am not familiar with the so called G-Sync though, doubt it will be able to replace in-game vertical sync.

Supreme Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybertox View Post
    Now that is a nice monitor, good piece of hardware and 800$ seems to be reasonable. I am not familiar with the so called G-Sync though, doubt it will be able to replace in-game vertical sync.
    Vsync and Gsync do the same but achieve it in very different ways.

Vsync holds back frames to sync with the monitors refresh rate of 60Hz or 120Hz or etc
    The problem with doing it this way is that because a few frames are being held back it adds input lag to the mouse which at 60Hz is very noticeable to some. At 120Hz this input lag is halved but is still noticeable but vastly improved.

Gsync instead adjusts the refresh rate of the monitor to match the frame rate meaning no frames are being held back so in theory eliminates the input lag associated with vsync. (will have to try for myself)
    Also Gsync has the added bonus of not needing to render exactly 60FPS or 120FPS (for 120Hz monitors) to be tear free and synced up.
    So that means you run any game on max/ultra settings and only manage 43FPS yet can have it tear free and synced up.

It is actually alot better than traditional vsync butof course only works on Nvidia cards with monitors that have special Nvidia Gsync kits fitted, so adds another 50-100 to the price tag.
    Last edited by keefy; 01-08-2014 at 18:52.

7. Likes BBK.. likes this post
    Elite Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    When I require a monitor I will be going for a G-sync. It means you do not need a super powerful GPU to get smooth (so we are told) vsync. The 120Hz isnt mandatory to lessen the input lag because with gsync it isnt there to begin with

OMG they actually put a crosshair on screen so now we need not a piece of blu tack or tape. Not that I ever di it.
    I'm intrigued by G-Sync but i'm just glad we have a native 120Hz 25x14 display. At last!

Quote Originally Posted by HellsJester View Post
    Its a TN panel and its $800.
    Without the G-Sync i can get a Overlord IPS 1440p monitor that i can overclock to 120Hz for $400-$500.

I love Asus but that monitor is a total rip off right now. I will wait for a IPS version for $500.
    I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for a native 120Hz IPS screen. Personally I don't like the idea of over clocking a monitor. Hence why i've waited for native displays.

Why is the display TN rather than IPS/PVA/MVA, etc?

Not all TN’s are made the same: the premium panel used in the PG278Q is of very high quality. IPS panels (and their derivatives like PVA/MVA etc) are not suitable for a multitude of reasons: 1) the response rate is simply not fast enough to react to the active change in refresh rate and 2) They cannot reliably achieve >60Hz without significantly affecting the quality of the image. IGZO technology (and LTPS – low temperature polysilicon – likewise) – yields 100′s of times faster electron mobility versus standard amorphous silicon panels – and thus can provide a response rate comparable to TN (up to 60Hz currently), but, however desirable this technology is, it is still currently cost prohibitively for many PC gaming enthusiasts in 2014, which is why ROG has used a better priceerformance, high quality TN panel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulgotha View Post
    Time for me to get educated: what's the difference between IPS and TN?
    I can't explain it well but if you've ever seen a Apple Mac screen they all tend to use IPS which gives them much nicer colours and deeper blacks compared to a TN but TN's tend to have faster response times and better suited to gaming. I'm sure someone else will be able to explain it better than myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Cybertox View Post
    G-Sync will not only replace it (for owners of GTX cards) but it'll be a much better alternative actually syncing your monitor to your GPU for the best possible synchronisation between the two. Should have 0 latency and smooth as hell.

Out of the new two GPU advancements G-Sync and Mantle, G-Sync seems to be much more exciting
    Last edited by BBK..; 01-08-2014 at 18:56.

Veteran

PSN ID
    Cybertox
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    Vsync and Gsync do the same but achieve it in very different ways.

Vsync holds back frames to sync with the monitors refresh rate of 60Hz or 120Hz or etc
    The problem with doing it this way is that because a few frames are being held back it adds input lag to the mouse which at 60Hz is very noticeable to some. At 120Hz this input lag is halved but is still noticeable but vastly improved.

Gsync instead adjusts the refresh rate of the monitor to match the frame rate meaning no frames are being held back so in theory eliminates the input lag associated with vsync. (will have to try for myself)
    Also Gsync has the added bonus of not needing to render exactly 60FPS or 120FPS (for 120Hz monitors) to be tear free and synced up.
    So that means you run any game on max/ultra settings and only manage 43FPS yet can have it tear free and synced up.

It is actually alot better than traditional vsync butof course only works on Nvidia cards with monitors that have special Nvidia Gsync kits fitted, so adds another 50-100 to the price tag.
    Well then all I can say is that G-Sync sounds quite a good feature but...

I am an AMD Ati Radeon user

Friendship is Carrots
    Don't tempt me right now. I'm desperately wanting a new, better monitor but I need to wait for them to get cheaper still.

Doesn't everything being very small at the higher resolutions get annoying?
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]
    - [PSN] - [Programmers' Corner]

Veteran

PSN ID
    Cybertox
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    Don't tempt me right now. I'm desperately wanting a new, better monitor but I need to wait for them to get cheaper still.

Doesn't everything being very small at the higher resolutions get annoying?
    I have a Samsung 1440p monitor and the resolution does make all the interfaces small but you get used to it, alternatively you can scale up the interface without sacrificing quality.

1440p is awesome resolutional glory though, check it out by yourself.

Here is my baby btw, Samsung.

Last edited by Cybertox; 01-08-2014 at 19:33.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Kinda late now that several manu's will be releasing a 28" 4k for $700 to $800 lol.

Dell will have one in just a couple weeks for $699.

Elite Sage
    4K is great and all but I want 120Hz for gaming. I can't imagine seeing any 120Hz or G-Sync monitors releasing for 4K any time soon.

Going to put a bit of money aside for the next few months and get this. Think it will delay my PS4 purchase as I'll need to buy the screen and another GPU but it'll be so worth it!

Been wanting to experience 2560x1440 for so long now but 60Hz put me off of it.

Nvidia’s big press conference at this year's CES I was given a reason to go green in the ongoing battle between Nvidia and AMD - G-Sync. It enables the GPU and monitor to work together to ensure frames are delivered to the display consistently and smoothly. Your monitor only updates the frame when the GPU is ready, eliminating screen-tearing and reducing stutter.The kicker? You need a G-Sync compatible monitor for it to work. I tried the tech on a pair of 27-inch screens from BenQ and Philips, one 120Hz and the other 144Hz, and the difference between G-Sync on and off is pretty darned impressive. Suddenly panning around game environments seems so smooth the motion seems pre-rendered.
    A nice, big 2560x1440, IPS, G-Sync enabled panel plugged into a GTX 780 Ti is going to deliver something quite lovely. According to Nvidia's CEO, Oculus CTO John Carmack is quoted as saying ‘once you’ve tried it, you can’t go back.’ It's Nvidia-only, of course, which means AMD card owners won't have the opportunity to take advantage of the tech.
    AMD have their own ace in the form of the Mantle API, however. I’ve finally seen AMD’s Mantle running in-game and the effect of that - bringing true multi-threading into PC gaming - is going to be quite astounding once developers really start playing around with it.
    But that’s for another discussion when the NDA shackles have been lifted. Suffice to say we’ve got some tough, but exciting tech choices ahead of us in 2014.

All about G-Sync
    Last edited by BBK..; 01-09-2014 at 09:25.

Veteran

PSN ID
    Cybertox
    @BBK

If you are planning on getting a 1440p monitor I advise you to get a very good gpu. Do not underestimate the power you need to run 1440p. I have an HD 7950 and I struggle, when I transitioned from 1080 to1440 the performance drop was major and i did not expect that at all. If i would have known i wouldnt have bought that monitor so soon.
    Last edited by Cybertox; 01-09-2014 at 10:57.

Elite Sage
    i have a GTX780 Superclocked which is faster than a Titan. it can run BF4 at 2560x1440 in ultra at 40fps. Shall be getting another one to sustain a frame rate above 60, maybe closer to 70fps

Veteran

PSN ID
    Cybertox
    Quote Originally Posted by BBK.. View Post
    i have a GTX780 Superclocked which is faster than a Titan. it can run BF4 at 2560x1440 in ultra at 40fps. Shall be getting another one to sustain a frame rate above 60, maybe closer to 70fps
    The titan has double the v-ram, clockspeed is not the only important thing in a video card.

Elite Sage
    i mean it runs games faster than the Titan even at 2560x1440. I'm sure my set up will cope just fine

Just wish I had a 780ti SLI like Sneezy.
    Last edited by BBK..; 01-09-2014 at 10:48.

Veteran

PSN ID
    Cybertox
    Benchmarks look nice, I am not a fan of nvidia though, not at all.

Elite Sage
    It's a very respectable card. No problems so far. I had 2 AMD XFX HD5870's black editions in crossfire before i had my GTX card, which oddly enough the vanially 5870 is at the bottom of those benchmarks even though it's a card that released in 2010. Had too many issues with crossfire and wasn't impressed with AMD's slow attitude to releasing new drivers so decided that Nvidia would get my money this time. Nothing but solid experience so far so worth the extra money, in my eyes.

Veteran

PSN ID
    Cybertox
    Quote Originally Posted by BBK.. View Post
    It's a very respectable card. No problems so far. I had 2 AMD XFX HD5870's black editions in crossfire before i had my GTX card, which oddly enough the vanially 5870 is at the bottom of those benchmarks even though it's a card that released in 2010. Had too many issues with crossfire and wasn't impressed with AMD's slow attitude to releasing new drivers so decided that Nvidia would get my money this time. Nothing but solid experience so far so worth the extra money, in my eyes.
    I didnt really have any good experience with nvidia unfortunately, performance wise I was disappointment and their control-panel and all the other additional softwares just dont appeal to me. I am also not a dual gpu user and due to that I am not into sli or crossfire.

Elite Sage
    I think AMD are unbeatable for Price/Performance ratio just (though current users have said they've got better recently) they seem a bit shoddy when it comes to drivers and support. I remember waiting weeks for a patch for a few games or having problems that weren't evident with Nvidia cards that's why I decided to go team green.

Just dying for them to announce the UK price now. Hoping it's no more than 500 but I might pay upto 600 as I'm really keen to get one on my desk.

Dedicated Member
    for that money, I'll spend $1000 on the Vizio 4K 50in tv and use that for monitor.
    Sleeping very soundly on a Saturday morning I was dreaming
    I was Al Capone
    There's a rumour going round, gotta clear outta town
    I'm smelling like a dry fish bone
    Here come the Law, gonna break down the door, gonna carry me
    away once more
    Never, never, never get it any more
    Gotta get away from this stone cold floor
    Crazy
    Stone cold crazy, you know

Elite Sage
    No need for 4K for me. The response time is too slow for gaming. I shunned 2560x1440 until it got 120Hz support and I'll treat 4K the same.

Plus would need crazy power to sustain 60fps. Though currently most 4K sets are limited to 30fps due to HDMI not being good enough, unless that tv has a display port interface.

Supreme Veteran
    Not alot of things support 4k yet, even the HDMI standard doesnt, let alone TV broadcasting, imagine watching an SD broadcast on a 4k screen, looks pretty bad on my 37 inch 1080p screen and a 50 inch 4k will only magnify the horrendousness.

Did I see curved screens at CES? So we going curved again, admittedly its the opposite curvature to hat CRT screens were.
    Last edited by keefy; 01-10-2014 at 00:37.

Elite Sage
    Yeah exactly Keefy, it's not worth it for gaming (for me) just yet. Once it has an interface that supports over 60fps i'll be interested.

Don't get me wrong; I bet 4K gaming would look amazing. It's just not at a point where I want to jump into it just yet. As soon as there is a 4K screen with 1ms Grey-to-Grey response times and 120-144Hz then and only then will I consider it for gaming.
    Last edited by BBK..; 01-10-2014 at 09:40.

Apprentice
    My TV 240 Hz, is that good?

Thread Information