PS3 Loud During Game Play, Quiet During Idle

Hello everyone. I recently acquired a 60GB PS3 (CECHA01) and the fan whirs loudly while playing games. I replaced the thermal paste and now the unit will quiet down after I pause or leave the game, but I still find it quite loud during game play. I used the horizontal line method with Arctic Silver 5, I bent the heat sink clamps, AND used 2 washers per screw on the heat sink. I have checked, and the heat sink was spreading the compound properly. Now, I have ordered some MX-4, so when it arrives, I can take a picture of the current thermal paste to verify if it has spread enough. The PS3 has had a fresh application of AS5 for about 2 weeks now.

I have uploaded a video to show exactly what I mean. The egg timer is to show the ambient room temperature in both Fahrenheit and Celsius. The watch is to show how long it took for the PS3 to rev up the fan after I launched the game. This PS3 is running the latest stock firmware and is clearly in a well ventilated area, even my window was open. Now the fan has gotten louder before, but it has never red lighted on me yet. Not the mention the air coming out the sides and back is really hot.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-H...it?usp=sharing

I am asking if anyone has any suggestions to keep this PS3 quieter, another friend of mine had this exact model and his was barely noticeable while gaming. And for those wondering, this was not originally my PS3, it would have been in much better condition if it was...

overstepping the mark
    PSN ID
    SHAFT_N_BALLS
    Items User name style
    my 60gb sounds pretty much the same.

i haven't reflowed the thermal paste but i have taken it apart to clean out dust. To no avail.

i have also raised the underneath of the ps3 by about an inch to help the flow of air but that makes no odds either.

reading around the web there are better fans with more blades that can help.

Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Ok... I was wrong. Happy?

Quote Originally Posted by -Shafty- View Post
    my 60gb sounds pretty much the same.

i haven't reflowed the thermal paste but i have taken it apart to clean out dust. To no avail.

i have also raised the underneath of the ps3 by about an inch to help the flow of air but that makes no odds either.

reading around the web there are better fans with more blades that can help.
    I have read that as well, mine has the 15 blade fan. I am looking into getting a 19 blade fan, but I don't want to buy one if that doesn't solve it.

Racing Game Fanatic
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    Items Title StyleVitaPS3 Slim
    My mates runs exactly the same, his is just down to the age of the console to be honest so it's quite a common thing!
    PSN ID: Duffman19864

Twitter ID: Duffman1986

My New Youtube Gaming Channel: Duffman Gaming

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Yep they all go like that eventually.

Please help our Final Fantasy Community get off the ground:
    http://forums.final7fantasy.com/

Ah ok, I know these old PS3's have extremely hot 90nm processors. And heck, as loud as it is, I can't turn down a gift! It's kinda funny though, if I get killed in GTA Online, my fan calms down, so I feel like my PS3 likes it when I die.

BTW, I appreciate all of the feedback guys!

Solved!!!

Hello everyone! It's taken a while, but I finally got this PS3 under control during game play. I replaced the fan with an OEM 19 blade version, and I replaced RSX heat sink which had messed up threads which kept the screws from going all of the way in. I also applied MX-4 via the pea method.

Out of celebration, I thought I'd share the process of restoring this PS3!

This PS3 was FILTHY when I got it. Sticker residue, dust and dirt were everywhere on the casing.

You could definitely tell that the original owner was a smoker, the hard drive label was stained yellow with patches of white from the HDD casing.

Upon first opening the unit (no warranty sticker), I found a spider's den embedded in the heat sink! Here is a picture of one of them near the power input. Also the inside smelled HORRIBLE from the cigarette residue.

After I had cleaned up the unit and started re-assembling it, I noticed that the power board's ribbon cable had broken connections, and I had to replace it. It's a bit hard to see the pins in the picture.

I wanted to replace the 15 blade fan with a 19 blade fan, but I waited until I could get it cheap. That turned out to be a disaster, another reason why it took me so long to post the results on this thread. Good thing I received a full refund AND got to keep the fan! (It squeaks so badly )

After receiving my new fan (in one piece), the PS3 was still loud. (I expected as much)
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-H...it?usp=sharing

Here is the AS-5 application that was used in the previous videos. That was done via the horizontal line method, and screw washers.

Now, this is why I claim my problem is solved, here is the PS3 after a RSX heat sink replacement and MX-4 via the pea method. The watch says 51 minutes, meaning that the PS3 has been sitting with GTA V on for a LOT longer without the fan being nearly as loud as the first video in my first post. The fan goes back and forth between the fan level in this video and the one BELOW it while playing GTA V every 30 minutes or so per level. Again, this is with screw washers.

Here are the 2 fan levels the PS3 bounces between during game play.

Loudest (51 minutes into game play): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-H...it?usp=sharing

Softest (1 hour 33 minutes into game play): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-H...it?usp=sharing

Last but not least, here is the PS3 after a good cleanup on the outside in it's new home! (It's only missing the memory card reader door, but that can wait.) For the record, the game is Blasto for the PS1.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    Cathode
    Items LuluYunaDaft Punk
    Quote Originally Posted by fred30w View Post
    That POOR console!

Wishlist: Jade Cocoon Reboot, Oni Reboot, the next JRPG, Wasteland 2 [coming soon!]
    SotC 2, Fallout 4, next Obsidian Fallout, Project Eternity, Uncharted 4, Divinity [NEW!]
    [South Park: Stick of Truth is pure gaming bliss!]

Quote Originally Posted by K2D View Post
    That POOR console!
    It's been an honor working on it! But she's clean and working much better now, after about a month of restoring it.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    Cathode
    Items LuluYunaDaft Punk
    Did you buy a new faceplate or repair the old one?

Wishlist: Jade Cocoon Reboot, Oni Reboot, the next JRPG, Wasteland 2 [coming soon!]
    SotC 2, Fallout 4, next Obsidian Fallout, Project Eternity, Uncharted 4, Divinity [NEW!]
    [South Park: Stick of Truth is pure gaming bliss!]

Repaired. The only new parts are the power board ribbon cable, RSX heat sink, and fan. I cleaned it with soap and water on a damp cloth and Windex.

Also, if anyone who reads this has a PS3 model CECHA01, please post how loud your PS3 gets and if you've fixed it too, I'm just curious.

UPDATE: I replaced all of the thermal pads a few days ago. Now the fan stays at level 2 during idle and level 3 during game play. After I finish playing, it takes 20 minutes for the fan to return to level 2. My quietest video a few posts above is fan level 3 for sound reference.
    Last edited by fred30w; 03-06-2014 at 17:50.

Hello everyone. The PS3 described above worked faithfully for roughly 4 months, but no matter how much you cool it, the YLOD will haunt you eventually. Anyway, this PS3 has had both it's RSX and Cell re-balled and it lasted for about 2 weeks before finally dying with the GLOD. Now, the only thing it does is power on and give no video or sound, but the fan still comes on (a second re-ball was done but to no avail). I'll make a whole new topic soon with more information when I get the unit back. (still in the shop)

Thread Information