Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Effekt
    Items Metal Gear SolidTommy VercettiLegend of ZeldaBlizzardAtlus

Remote play for PS3 is a joke

Have you guys seen the list of games that's capable of remote play?

I can't believe I never noticed how horrible it was, what was the point of this if you couldn't play most AAA games? It's mostly PSN games that you could download to your Vita/PSP in the first place. I setup remote play on my PC and I tried to play any of my games and none of them can work lol, in order to make it work I'd have to hack my PS3. That's just sad when hackers are able to provide more than Sony themselves. This is kind of a rant, but in all honesty what gives? The PS4 and Vita now fixed this issue so it's not that big of a deal for the future but I can't believe how lame this was for PS3 to PSP/PSVita/PC.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Because PS4 has it in from the start, with PS3 they have to go to each publisher and get their permission, like with ingame soundtracks having a problem with some early EA titles or whatever it was. That's the problem with adding a feature halfway into the consoles life cycle. No excuse for Sony first party games though, all should be supported.

Are you talking about Remote Desktop for Vita with that PC part? Seems to work somewhat but last I checked there's no audio and it's not full resolution (960X544) but hopefully it gets updated by the community as it's looking pretty promising:

Quote Originally Posted by BigDug13
    I want Naughty Dog to explore new game genres, not regurgitate cinematic corridor shooters for another generation.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Effekt
    Items Metal Gear SolidTommy VercettiLegend of ZeldaBlizzardAtlus
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronSOLDIER View Post
    Because PS4 has it in from the start, with PS3 they have to go to each publisher and get their permission, like with ingame soundtracks having a problem with some early EA titles or whatever it was. That's the problem with adding a feature halfway into the consoles life cycle. No excuse for Sony first party games though, all should be supported.

Are you talking about Remote Desktop for Vita with that PC part? Seems to work somewhat but last I checked there's no audio and it's not full resolution (960X544) but hopefully it gets updated by the community as it's looking pretty promising:

Yeah, that makes sense but you'd think all the planning ahead they'd have talked to some game developers to support it. And no I wasn't talking about that however I'm glad you mentioned it, I'm going to look into it seems interesting. I was talking about the PS3 to PC remote play that was only available on Vaio computers until someone found a way to work around it, now any PC can stream their PS3. That's why I'm so bummed, because I could go anywhere with my laptop and play my PS3 with a internet connection.

PSU Trophy Manager
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    Items Final Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XIIFangNoctisLightningFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIINaughty DogFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIPS3 Slim
    PS3 + PSP remote play is why I was never really behind it. Wasn't until I tried Vita + PS4 remote play that I started to "get it".
    PS3 remote play aint worth the time or effort.

Sig&Av by Kuro

Sometimes streaming Watch_Dogs

PS4 Preorders:
    FarCry4MetroReduxDragonAge3BatmanAKWitcher3DyingLightOrder1886Uncharted4

PSN
    , XBL, Steam: Faenix1 - 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6299-4363
    Phat PS3: February 2008 - June 1st, 2011, Slim PS3: June 3rd 2011 - Present
    PS4, 3DSxl: November 2013 - Present
    PSVita December 2013 - Present

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Sony never made the PSP with remote play in mind, it was made a good few years before the PS3, whereas the Vita was made with remote play in mind and they knew what hardware was going to make it possible.
    you could say PS3 remote play was more like an experiment .

Forum Elder
    And mark Cerny was the lead architect for both vita and ps4.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    Sony never made the PSP with remote play in mind, it was made a good few years before the PS3, whereas the Vita was made with remote play in mind and they knew what hardware was going to make it possible.
    you could say PS3 remote play was more like an experiment .
    Yeah this. The problem with PS3-PSP remote play lag was down to PSP having wireless B wifi which sucked (at the time was decent for a portable), and PS3 only having wireless G. PS4 and Vita are both wireless N. PS3 shouldn't have a problem remote playing to Vita but like I said they'd need to patch it in game by game rather than making it a sysem wide feature for all games. If publishers were as easy going as they were 20 years ago they wouldn't need permission.
    I want Naughty Dog to explore new game genres, not regurgitate cinematic corridor shooters for another generation.

Racing Game Fanatic
    PSN ID
    gold106gti
    Items Title StyleVitaPS3 Slim
    Remote play for the PS3 with the PSP has always been known as being awful, think that's probably why it never really took off! At least they got it right with the PS4, remote play is amazing!!
    PSN ID: gold106gti

Twitter ID: Duffman1986

My New Youtube Gaming Channel: Duffman Gaming

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    PSP remote play was like to prototype, PSVita remote play was closer to the vision but it's PSVita & PS4 that hits the nail as the Vita was built with 4 in mind.

Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Yeah.....and fact is that Sony really hasn't promoted remote play until Vita and PS4.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

Racing Game Fanatic
    PSN ID
    gold106gti
    Items Title StyleVitaPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    Yeah.....and fact is that Sony really hasn't promoted remote play until Vita and PS4.
    I don't blame them either to be honest, think there would have been some very disappointed people lol
    PSN ID: gold106gti

Twitter ID: Duffman1986

My New Youtube Gaming Channel: Duffman Gaming

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Remote play just wasn't done properly by Sony. Hack the PS3, and use remote play, and it's 10 times better. It definitely has its limitations compared to the Vita + PS4, but it is definitely playable when "enabled". Sony could have done this... they were just focused elsewhere.

13. Likes AaronSOLDIER likes this post
    Apprentice
    PSN ID
    chriharr
    It all comes down to the hardware, PS3 has very powerful but limited hardware.

* No Secondary Encoder means software resolution would need to be scaled down heavily to be able to stream the video and audio content efficiently to a remote play device, with PS3 there's just too many variables in each software title and the way it runs on the PS3.. MOST GAMES were not even considered with the concept of remote play... that combined with limited VERY limited RAM was the biggest bottleneck in itself, the CPU has to further remove game processing power and push data to and fro through the network cards and move data between the disc and HDD, PS3 reminds me of the really old Apple Macs, they run great with one dedicated task, but you try multi-tasking and it's like trying to climb everest with a 300KG boulder strapped to your leg whilst trying not to spill your coffee... it's possible but it's just not efficient doing too much at once.
    " A Toll's a toll and a roll's a roll. If we don't get no toll's, then we don't eat no roll's"

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    kipkebab92
    I'm really disappointed in this too..
    They never really took the time and such either to properly see what it can do I think.
    And especially after Vita got released I was hoping to see more games pop up on the list with 'remote play function' but sadly enough nobody gave a $#@!. Really disappointed, got a PS3 and Vita and would love to play some games from PS3 on my Vita, but won't happen until Playstation Now, which I am not really too happy about as thusfar I feel like that's just going to be a money-eating service and a $#@!ty way of 'fixing' it to play PS3 on Vita.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Quote Originally Posted by WaxWeazle View Post
    I'm really disappointed in this too..
    They never really took the time and such either to properly see what it can do I think.
    And especially after Vita got released I was hoping to see more games pop up on the list with 'remote play function' but sadly enough nobody gave a $#@!. Really disappointed, got a PS3 and Vita and would love to play some games from PS3 on my Vita, but won't happen until Playstation Now, which I am not really too happy about as thusfar I feel like that's just going to be a money-eating service and a $#@!ty way of 'fixing' it to play PS3 on Vita.
    It'll be limited to digital games so there goes half the PS3 library anyway.

Thread Information