Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 3 1 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Veteran
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Microsoft conveniently does not think PlayStation Now is the future

GamesBy James Plafke Jan. 13, 2014 1:29 pm
    Over CES last week, we had the usual announcements of sharper televisions, fitness bands, weird computers, and normal computers (branded as Steam Machines). The most interesting announcement, though, came from Sony’s PlayStation division: PlayStation Now, a complete game streaming platform serving up potentially any game from the PlayStation brand’s history, right up to the PS3. Despite PS Now being demoed by playing The Last of Us on a PS Vita and Bravia televisions (without attached gaming hardware), Microsoft doesn’t think game-streaming is the future just yet.
    Whether or not PlayStation Now is able to serve up video games without latency, the idea behind the service — streaming video games through some sort of app, not requiring specialized hardware — is indeed most likely the future. Almost every other form of entertainment has been moving toward a complete streaming platform. Movies and TV shows have moved to services like Netflix and Amazon Instant, and music has moved to services like Spotify and Pandora. A large portion of current-day video games require check-ins to a central server (console, PC, and mobile included), so it’s not like video games don’t require you to have an internet connection. However, Microsoft vice president Phil Spencer stated in a tweet that he doesn’t think streaming is the way video games are going, at least not anytime soon.

It’s not surprising that Sony’s competition would state that Sony’s very-hyped and extremely intriguing PlayStation Now service isn’t the wave of the future. If Microsoft announced Xbox Now, Sony would probably do the same. Spencer stated that he thinks a machine that can handle local computing will “be important for a long time.” If the noble-but-imperfect OnLive game-streaming service was any indication, then Spencer would be right — the service was frequently crippled by latency. However, Sony has considerable more power to throw around than most gaming tech companies in the world. Furthermore, Sony is attempting PlayStation Now four years after OnLive launched — which means it has four years of improved internet to utilize. As I wrote last week, if Sony uses PS Now’s 2014 launch as an effective beta until the PS5 releases, then the company will have almost a decade to perfect the service, which could potentially be the PS5 itself.
    Spencer may be right that fully streaming games are a long way off — technically he may consider that length of time one console generation, since a decade is indeed a while — but in the scheme of things, an all-streaming games platform is inevitable, and likely sooner rather than later.

http://www.geek.com/games/microsoft-...uture-1582056/

It's pretty obvious now. Microsoft really got caught by surprise by this. IMHO, they either need to come out with a very clear cut idea of what their cloud-based services will do for the XBone or shut up, though.

-edited thread title to avoid redirect errors. Changed doesn't to does not
    Christopher

Last edited by Christopher; 01-14-2014 at 13:32.

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    But substance Told me they will do the same? I'm confused

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Well, they definitely weren't caught by surprise lol. It's like they didn't know that Sony was going to release this at some point; ya know, after buying out Gaikai and all.

The writer of that article is absurd in some degree. Movies and TV shows haven't MOVED to streaming services. They have EXPANDED their reach by going that route, in addition to the more traditional exposure.

Also, title is obvious.

Phil Spencer answered a question. Period. He doesn't think the Xbox One will be the last console as we know them today. smh I'm not even sure why you are saying they need to come out with a very clear cut idea. What are you confused about as far as their cloud based service offerings?

4. Likes mistercrow likes this post
    Forum Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungMullah88 View Post
    But substance Told me they will do the same? I'm confused

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
    No, i never said that.I said they have the capability to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lefein View Post

http://www.geek.com/games/microsoft-...uture-1582056/

It's pretty obvious now. Microsoft really got caught by surprise by this. IMHO, they either need to come out with a very clear cut idea of what their cloud-based services will do for the XBone or shut up, though.
    lol..how did they get caught by surprise? Its not like they didn't know why sony bought gaikai. There is really nothing to brag about. At least not until the service actually gets launched. MS has a worldwide cloud computing service, not just a streaming service that will only be available in the US. IMO i think it will be years before a service like this will actually run the way its intended to because of latency. Even the demo at CES had local servers and there was still a bit of lag. When they get the bugs out it wil definitely be something great.
    Last edited by Sub-stance1; 01-14-2014 at 05:52.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Well, they definitely weren't caught by surprise lol. It's like they didn't know that Sony was going to release this at some point; ya know, after buying out Gaikai and all. The writer of that article is absurd in some degree. Movies and TV shows haven't MOVED to streaming services. They have EXPANDED their reach by going that route, in addition to the more traditional exposure. Also, title is obvious. Phil Spencer answered a question. Period. He doesn't think the Xbox One will be the last console as we know them today. smh I'm not even sure why you are saying they need to come out with a very clear cut idea. What are you confused about as far as their cloud based service offerings?
    /thread. Accurate summary. And lol@the title. Journalism at its finest. lol
    Last edited by mistercrow; 01-14-2014 at 05:58.

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    NOW is s strange name to call a service that only deal with PAST products.

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    NOW is s strange name to call a service that only deal with PAST products.
    But because its streaming you get to play them NOW :P

Super Elite
    It's the app culture that Microsoft have got caught into what happened to the day, when Microsoft just built software to run on devices without having to make everything an app
    Sent from my computer using keyboard.

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    app is just another name for program
    C:\program files
    C:\apps

same thing at the end of the day.

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    I think Microsoft has an issue guessing market trends. They were late to tablets and apps, now game streaming and even console streaming.
    Last edited by mickice; 01-14-2014 at 07:48.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    markiemark901
    Quote Originally Posted by mickice View Post
    I think Microsoft has an issue guessing market trends. They were late to tablets and apps, now game streaming and even console streaming.
    Agreed. Kind of dropping the ball a bit lately

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Currently Playing: COD Ghosts, Battlefield 4, Assassins Creed 4

Ultimate Veteran
    That's what I was getting at. I mean, I sortof see what F3AR was saying, but drivatars and Titanfall "cloud hype" is not very clear at all. MS can say they have thousands of Azure servers, but what they do for videogames is still up in the air. That's more or less what I meant by offering a clear vision of cloud in respect to XBone games.

Meanwhile, Playstation Now starts beta testing soon. Comparatively speaking, Sony's cloud is obfuscation free.

14. Likes mistercrow likes this post
    Valar Morghulis
    PSN ID
    SerinousTSE
    Items PS3 FatVitaPS3 Slim
    Probably why they don't have a CEO right now. lol.

16. Likes mistercrow likes this post
    Forum Sage
    Thats because they are a software company first. You talk as if streaming games is something new.Don't forget who built their cloud from the ground up and who didn't.

Ultimate Veteran
    Let me put it another way. That way, I'm at least backing up my argument with some facts. There is definitely a correlation between Microsofts "cloud hype" and them getting summarily pantsed at CES and it has everything to do with Microsofts marketing and positioning and also to do with Sony simply carrying out what they said they would do.

Exhibit A:
    http://n4g.com/news/1362334/microsof...hics#c-8272468
    I think we all remember pretty vividly how MS was dragged through the mud by gamers and the media over the spring and summer of '13 about the XBone being under powered. As a result, those thousands of Azure servers they talked about at the unveiling of the machine made a pretty enticing sell to people with questions. Thus came the rise of the popular term (and meme) "infinite power of the cloud":

Good times indeed.

Right about the time things were reaching a fevered pitch, we had Titanfall to the rescue. The developers came out and made the bold claim that without the cloud, Titanfall simply wouldn't be possible.
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...nfusion-online

It seemed the circle was now complete. Along with the drivatars mentioned at the XBone debut in Forza 5, it seems like "infinite power of the cloud" was not buzz or science fiction but a reality. There's just one little problem.. Forza was dragged in the mud for decidedly cutting corners to achieve 1080p and far worse, Titanfall is actually struggling to maintain 720p. So, the two champions of infinite cloud power are poignantly inferior in a graphics sense to what games are doing on the PS4.. Phil Harrison still has yet to explain how "teh cloud" is going to do anything graphically in an XBox game. To this day "infinite power of the cloud" has been a rallying point for gamers who have decided that Microsoft and the XBox brand stands for smoke and mirrors. Their promises have simply not been holding up when it comes to all the rhetoric. AND THIS WOULD HAVE BEEN FINE, in all honesty, the generation has literally just gone underway. Hell, next-gen hasn't even arrived in most countries. There is plenty of time to get the messaging right. Well, except one major problem..

Pretty clear-cut, I would say.

While the guys from Washington are trying to figure out how to set things straight with their promises in 2013, Sony is just going ahead and doing something with the cloud. There's no technical explanations or any qualms about "You will be playing games on the cloud this year." It's so straight hip-hop, KRS-One and Nas could have made the announcement. So, if some of you seem a little befuddled about why this is such a big deal, I'm glad I could help connect the dots for you. This generation has been shocking, so far, but the good news is that the real games have yet to begin. That cloud, though. Man, that cloud!

Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    Thats because they are a software company first. You talk as if streaming games is something new.Don't forget who built their cloud from the ground up and who didn't.
    Good point. It is quite impressive what Sony is showing considering they were so far behind MS, isn't it?
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style
    Does this surprise anyone though? Microsoft is the company where if they say one thing you should really do the other. Never listen to this company, always do the opposite, it's been like this since Microsoft first came out with windows.

Internet what? never, people won't use the internet. I love the fact that only a couple of people forget that Microsoft is first and foremost Windows, not a console company. No need for people to get on the microsoft pedestal to make up excuses for that company. History has shown they've eaten crow more than a few times.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Spencer stated that he thinks a machine that can handle local computing will “be important for a long time.”
    I'ma try find the interview to see the context of this comment but at face value...smh. These guys need to go--so much contradiction.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    Good point. It is quite impressive what Sony is showing considering they were so far behind MS, isn't it?
    Dude, all they did was was basically announce a beta. We already knew Gaika could stream games. Both MS and sony have already demoed the ability to do it. MS demoed this ability way back in september of last year. With that being said, yes it is impressive what they demoed.. it will be more impressive when we actually get it and it works the way it should.

Quote Originally Posted by Lefein View Post
    Let me put it another way. That way, I'm at least backing up my argument with some facts. There is definitely a correlation between Microsofts "cloud hype" and them getting summarily pantsed at CES and it has everything to do with Microsofts marketing and positioning and also to do with Sony simply carrying out what they said they would do.

Exhibit A:
    http://n4g.com/news/1362334/microsof...hics#c-8272468
    I think we all remember pretty vividly how MS was dragged through the mud by gamers and the media over the spring and summer of '13 about the XBone being under powered. As a result, those thousands of Azure servers they talked about at the unveiling of the machine made a pretty enticing sell to people with questions. Thus came the rise of the popular term (and meme) "infinite power of the cloud":

Good times indeed.

Right about the time things were reaching a fevered pitch, we had Titanfall to the rescue. The developers came out and made the bold claim that without the cloud, Titanfall simply wouldn't be possible.
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...nfusion-online

It seemed the circle was now complete. Along with the drivatars mentioned at the XBone debut in Forza 5, it seems like "infinite power of the cloud" was not buzz or science fiction but a reality. There's just one little problem.. Forza was dragged in the mud for decidedly cutting corners to achieve 1080p and far worse, Titanfall is actually struggling to maintain 720p. So, the two champions of infinite cloud power are poignantly inferior in a graphics sense to what games are doing on the PS4.. Phil Harrison still has yet to explain how "teh cloud" is going to do anything graphically in an XBox game. To this day "infinite power of the cloud" has been a rallying point for gamers who have decided that Microsoft and the XBox brand stands for smoke and mirrors. Their promises have simply not been holding up when it comes to all the rhetoric. AND THIS WOULD HAVE BEEN FINE, in all honesty, the generation has literally just gone underway. Hell, next-gen hasn't even arrived in most countries. There is plenty of time to get the messaging right. Well, except one major problem..

Pretty clear-cut, I would say.

While the guys from Washington are trying to figure out how to set things straight with their promises in 2013, Sony is just going ahead and doing something with the cloud. There's no technical explanations or any qualms about "You will be playing games on the cloud this year." It's so straight hip-hop, KRS-One and Nas could have made the announcement. So, if some of you seem a little befuddled about why this is such a big deal, I'm glad I could help connect the dots for you. This generation has been shocking, so far, but the good news is that the real games have yet to begin. That cloud, though. Man, that cloud!
    so much fail in that. what you fail to understand is that MS cloud isn't primarily a streaming service. From my understanding it has computational abilities that the devs will be able to take advantage of but has the ability to stream content. PS now/gaikai is for streaming only. Do you get that azure is a full on cloud service that competes with others.

Windows Azure beats Amazon EC2, Google App Engine in cloud speed test

http://arstechnica.com/business/2011...ud-speed-test/

I don't get what all the chest beating is about. Its not like we didn't know this stuff was coming. Its way too early to be throwing the smoke and mirrors claim around.
    Last edited by Sub-stance1; 01-14-2014 at 15:48.

Extreme Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    Dude, all they did was was basically announce a beta. We already knew Gaika could stream games. Both MS and sony have already demoed the ability to do it. MS demoed this ability way back in september of last year. With that being said, yes it is impressive what they demoed.. it will be more impressive when we actually get it and it works the way it should.

so much fail in that. what you fail to understand is that MS cloud isn't primarily a streaming service. From my understanding it has computational abilities that the devs will be able to take advantage of but has the ability to stream content. PS now/gaikai is for streaming only. Do you get that azure is a full on cloud service that competes with others.

Windows Azure beats Amazon EC2, Google App Engine in cloud speed test

http://arstechnica.com/business/2011...ud-speed-test/

I don't get what all the chest beating is about. Its not like we didn't know this stuff was coming. Its way too early to be throwing the smoke and mirrors claim around.
    whatever Sub. from "what I'm seeing", Azure is just a dedicated server service. that's what i see so far, i don't know or care about the rest of supposed facts. also the Azure will not have any advantage over other services, because statistics do not matter, what matters is what i see right now.

you're just speculating all of this. Azure has no features as far as we've seen.

/Sub mode off

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    whatever Sub. from "what I'm seeing", Azure is just a dedicated server service. that's what i see so far, i don't know or care about the rest of supposed facts. also the Azure will not have any advantage over other services, because statistics do not matter, what matters is what i see right now.

you're just speculating all of this. Azure has no features as far as we've seen.

/Sub mode off
    yea, i know its all pr again..lol

Extreme Poster
    you know, prove it to me

Forum Elder
    i was impressed with OnLive, so look forward to this. they just need to get the price right or get it into PS+

Quote Originally Posted by DarkVincent07 View Post
    But because its streaming you get to play them NOW :P
    that will depend on the lag, no?
    Last edited by Yungstar 2006; 01-14-2014 at 17:16.

Extreme Poster
    I'm thinking by "NOW" they mean, you can get it on demand, it's on your finger tips. etc.

Valar Morghulis
    PSN ID
    SerinousTSE
    Items PS3 FatVitaPS3 Slim
    I love it when someone is super good and persistent in his way of downplaying Sony's actual and realized service and overplaying MS's fictional and speculative capabilities.

29. Likes Demi_God , mistercrow, Christopher likes this post

Thread Information