Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    Ultimate Veteran
    Lefein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Age
    33
    Posts
    22,962
    Rep Power
    193
    Points
    107,327 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

    December NPD Precitions?

    Figured this might be a fun way to spice up the Versus board. Soon, NPD results for December '13 will be upon us. Feel free to give your prediction for how it went down.

    My prediction: PS4 edged out a victory over the XBox One. Probably by less than 100k.

    Now, it's your turn!

  2. #2
    Extreme Poster
    mistercrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Texas
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Posts
    25,535
    Rep Power
    166
    Points
    169,417 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Being as supply constrained as PS4 has been I would say PS4 will have only a marginal victory. Maybe by 150k to possibly 200k

  3. #3
    Legend
    F34R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Posts
    40,105
    Rep Power
    244
    Points
    146,204 (0 Banked)
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    No way to tell lol. I'm going with 100K difference. One sold more than the other.




  4. Likes Lefein likes this post
  5. #4
    Extreme Poster
    mistercrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Texas
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Posts
    25,535
    Rep Power
    166
    Points
    169,417 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    No way to tell lol. I'm going with 100K difference. One sold more than the other.
    lol Sure win with the second part of your prediction.

  6. #5
    Forum Sage
    sainraja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Age
    28
    Posts
    8,168
    Rep Power
    98
    Points
    26,135 (0 Banked)
    ahh, not this again.... =/ (yes, I know....I can avoid it if I want to.) Since I posted, might as well post a prediction.

    It will be close between the two. I don't see there being a big gap.

  7. Likes Lefein likes this post
  8. #6
    Legend
    F34R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Posts
    40,105
    Rep Power
    244
    Points
    146,204 (0 Banked)
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Just sayin'

    http://www.joystiq.com/2014/01/16/de...tive-leader-i/

    Total video game sales for the US in December were up slightly by 2 percent year-over-year, up $3.28B from $3.21B in 2012. Hardware also saw an upswing in 2013, up 28 percent to $1.37B versus the month of December 2012. Continued strong sales of both the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 accounted for a hardware sales increase of "over 50 percent compared to December 2012."

    "December NPD Group figures released today revealed Xbox One was the number one selling console in the market in the U.S., selling 908,000 units in December. Additionally, Xbox 360 continued to see strong momentum with 643,000 units sold in December, putting it in the number three spot overall, and lead for last generation hardware," a prepared statement on Microsoft's press site reads.

    Sony's approach to numbers was slightly different, reiterating the PlayStation 4 has sold more than 4.2 million units worldwide since launch. "PlayStation 4 remains the cumulative leader for next gen console sales in the U.S. since the launch on November 15," SCEA's Senior Director of Corporate Communications Dan Race wrote in response to the data. "We sold every PS4 available at retail in the U.S. and were out of stock in December due to overwhelming consumer demand." Microsoft's last official cumulative sales count for Xbox One units worldwide was 3 million units by the end of 2013.

    Nintendo's 3DS led "overall hardware sales for December 2013 and for 2013 as a whole," the NPD Group's Liam Callahan noted. "Hardware sales of the Wii U were also positive with December 2013 marking its highest month for unit sales month so far," Callahan added. Nintendo has not revealed specific data.

    Call of Duty: Ghosts and Battlefield 4 continued to dominate software sales, with Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag sliding down the list from third during its launch month in November to sixth last month. Just Dance 2014, previously placed at eight in November, surged up the charts to third.

    The software leader throughout 2013 was Grand Theft Auto V. Rockstar's PS3 and Xbox 360 title defeated stiff competition, including a second-place Call of Duty: Ghosts, which launched on six platforms. The top ten in new physical retail sales for December and can be found after the break.




  9. #7
    Super Moderator
    PS4freak's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Louisiana
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Age
    26
    Posts
    13,766
    Rep Power
    143
    Points
    84,557 (190,439 Banked)
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    So no numbers for PS4?




    Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

  10. #8
    Extreme Poster
    mistercrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Texas
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Posts
    25,535
    Rep Power
    166
    Points
    169,417 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by PS4freak View Post
    So no numbers for PS4?
    Doesnt really matter since PS4 is supply constrained anyway. If X1 continues outselling PS4 even after Sony is finally able to ship ample supply then that would be very telling. And it could very well happen in the US. Plus 360 is still going strong. Dont think MS will be dropping the 360 anytime soon like some people here thought.

  11. #9
    Superior Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Texas
    PSN ID
    martin_blank
    Posts
    617
    Rep Power
    16
    Points
    8,484 (0 Banked)
    Thus quoth me, from about a week ago, "[Sony] announced numbers indicating they outsold Xbox One by a good margin in the UK through Christmas. Which leads me to believe they probably didn't outsell Xbox One in the States." (http://www.psu.com/forums/showthread...=1#post6277452)

    Sony was running ahead in the UK in December and they announced it. Had they been running ahead in the US they'd have announced that, too. The fact they didn't had to mean they were running behind. There are plenty of Xbox Ones on shelves for sale in the States not because they aren't selling well in the US but because Microsoft allocated more units to the US and/or built more units.

    This is like presidential politics in the US. Never lose your home state. Even if you win the general election, you're forever the President of the United States who lost his own home state. Microsoft didn't want to lose their home state. PS4 won't even launch in Japan for more than another month. Sony doesn't really consider Japan their home state in the international console contest. It's just not that big a market. It used to be a sentinel market but not really even that anymore. Between an Xbox product and a Playstation product in Japan, Sony has proven that they can only do poorly in Japan while the Microsoft console does miserably. Sony can lose Japan to a Nintendo product but not to an Xbox brand. Everybody knows that so Sony had to pick another home state. My money says they picked the EU for their home state, and looks like they won it. Microsoft obviously picked the US and they won it. Sony still seems well ahead worldwide at this point.

    Crow implies PS4 numbers are meaningless because they're supply-constrained. Well, that's their own fault, but overall, Crow is right. All the units sold numbers are meaningless. Who won last gen? I mean, besides Nintendo. PS3 finally at long last outsold Xbox 360 worldwide. But did Sony win? Who knows. You can create a picture of who came out ahead but units sold is a small piece of that picture, even at the end of the cycle. Did they ultimately make money or lose money on hardware? What was the overall attach rate for the entire life cycle -- which, by the way, isn't even over, not for either brand? And that's just money. There's what is called mindshare. Xbox 360 was the clear mindshare leader in the West for a lot of the generation but toward the end of the two HD console brands terms as "current gen," not nearly as much, as late-cycle PS3 exclusives got a hell of a lot of positive consumer and critical attention.

    Units sold, generally but especially so early in the generation, are only useful if you're ahead in a particular market. For bragging rights. If you try to look at total units sold worldwide and come up with some kind of determination about the success of the console brand, there are a lot more things you have to consider than mere units sold. At this point, making any determination for either brand based solely upon units sold would be kind of like pegging Apple iPhones as dead last in sales in the PRC when Apple didn't even sell iPhones in the PRC.
    Last edited by sanfordmay; 01-17-2014 at 08:52.

  12. Likes VayMasters86 likes this post
  13. #10
    Ultimate Veteran
    Lefein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Age
    33
    Posts
    22,962
    Rep Power
    193
    Points
    107,327 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Looks like XBone was the victor. Someone should have put a friendly wager on the line

  14. #11
    Elite Member
    LM-93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Cleethorpes
    PSN ID
    LM-93
    Age
    21
    Posts
    1,593
    Rep Power
    54
    Points
    8,102 (0 Banked)
    Items Battlefield 3AppleAvenged SevenfoldEA SportsJoker (limited ICON)Metallica

    December NPD Precitions?

    Tapatalk is mixing my threads up, I replied to the how do you feel right now and it ended up here; so edit:
    Numbers for both consoles seem solid so far, PS4 will edge it though surely? Without bias it seems the most plausible option, cheaper, minor ly better specs, not being forced to buy the camera etc etc
    Last edited by LM-93; 01-17-2014 at 15:50.

    PSN: LM-93
    Lets Play!
    PS4.

  15. #12
    Extreme Poster
    mistercrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Texas
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Posts
    25,535
    Rep Power
    166
    Points
    169,417 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by sanfordmay View Post
    Thus quoth me, from about a week ago, "[Sony] announced numbers indicating they outsold Xbox One by a good margin in the UK through Christmas. Which leads me to believe they probably didn't outsell Xbox One in the States." (http://www.psu.com/forums/showthread...=1#post6277452) Sony was running ahead in the UK in December and they announced it. Had they been running ahead in the US they'd have announced that, too. The fact they didn't had to mean they were running behind. There are plenty of Xbox Ones on shelves for sale in the States not because they aren't selling well in the US but because Microsoft allocated more units to the US and/or built more units. This is like presidential politics in the US. Never lose your home state. Even if you win the general election, you're forever the President of the United States who lost his own home state. Microsoft didn't want to lose their home state. PS4 won't even launch in Japan for more than another month. Sony doesn't really consider Japan their home state in the international console contest. It's just not that big a market. It used to be a sentinel market but not really even that anymore. Between an Xbox product and a Playstation product in Japan, Sony has proven that they can only do poorly in Japan while the Microsoft console does miserably. Sony can lose Japan to a Nintendo product but not to an Xbox brand. Everybody knows that so Sony had to pick another home state. My money says they picked the EU for their home state, and looks like they won it. Microsoft obviously picked the US and they won it. Sony still seems well ahead worldwide at this point. Crow implies PS4 numbers are meaningless because they're supply-constrained. Well, that's their own fault, but overall, Crow is right. All the units sold numbers are meaningless. Who won last gen? I mean, besides Nintendo. PS3 finally at long last outsold Xbox 360 worldwide. But did Sony win? Who knows. You can create a picture of who came out ahead but units sold is a small piece of that picture, even at the end of the cycle. Did they ultimately make money or lose money on hardware? What was the overall attach rate for the entire life cycle -- which, by the way, isn't even over, not for either brand? And that's just money. There's what is called mindshare. Xbox 360 was the clear mindshare leader in the West for a lot of the generation but toward the end of the two HD console brands terms as "current gen," not nearly as much, as late-cycle PS3 exclusives got a hell of a lot of positive consumer and critical attention. Units sold, generally but especially so early in the generation, are only useful if you're ahead in a particular market. For bragging rights. If you try to look at total units sold worldwide and come up with some kind of determination about the success of the console brand, there are a lot more things you have to consider than mere units sold. At this point, making any determination for either brand based solely upon units sold would be kind of like pegging Apple iPhones as dead last in sales in the PRC when Apple didn't even sell iPhones in the PRC.
    Yep the supply constraints are Sony's own fault. MS was better prepared for xmas demand.

  16. #13
    Forum Elder
    Yungstar 2006's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    tyneside
    Posts
    2,925
    Rep Power
    59
    Points
    27,847 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by sanfordmay View Post
    Crow implies PS4 numbers are meaningless because they're supply-constrained. Well, that's their own fault, but overall, Crow is right.
    i'd assume they are supply-constrained on purpose knowing they would not outsell the Xbox, better to say they were sold out because they could not make enough.

    here in my part of the UK, i'm able to buy a PS4 (or Xbox for that matter) any day i want, although my intention is to get PS4 in march.

  17. #14
    Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Christopher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Warner Robins, GA
    Age
    43
    Posts
    8,341
    Rep Power
    109
    Points
    68,116 (1,010 Banked)
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercrow View Post
    Yep the supply constraints are Sony's own fault. MS was better prepared for xmas demand.
    Yeah, I'm sorta questioning Sony's global strategy in all this. They spread PS4 awfully thin and some regions don't have the demand that the US does. Of course, I doubt very seriously Sony put a strategy in place just so they could win December NPD. lol. But I have no doubt that if the supply in the US had been there, it would have outsold X1. But.....doesn't matter now.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

    Server Error Status Thread







  18. #15
    Ultimate Veteran
    Lefein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Age
    33
    Posts
    22,962
    Rep Power
    193
    Points
    107,327 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    January NPD is make or break for XBox One. Sony will not doubt continue shipping into the US to normalize their supply. Meanwhile, XBone is on shelves and readily available.

    The real question here is whether demand for XBone has been satisfied or continues its momentum. For what it's worth, shelf sightings of PS4 where I live is still few and far between and the month is half over.

  19. #16
    Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Christopher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Warner Robins, GA
    Age
    43
    Posts
    8,341
    Rep Power
    109
    Points
    68,116 (1,010 Banked)
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    The lack of PS4s on the shelves or online is a concern though. I am starting to think Sony underestimated demand in the US. You can buy a PS4 on Amazon UK right now, but it is dry as a bone over here. X1 may very well win January as well due to the lack of PS4 stock in the US.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

    Server Error Status Thread







  20. #17
    Extreme Poster
    mistercrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Texas
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Posts
    25,535
    Rep Power
    166
    Points
    169,417 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    The lack of PS4s on the shelves or online is a concern though. I am starting to think Sony underestimated demand in the US. You can buy a PS4 on Amazon UK right now, but it is dry as a bone over here. X1 may very well win January as well due to the lack of PS4 stock in the US.
    Yep, will be interesting to see how it plays out once Sony ships ample supply to the US. UK supply seems to be good and PS4 is outselling the X1 there.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
vBCredits II Deluxe v2.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2010-2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.