Latest PSU headlines:

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 ... LastLast
    PSU Editor
    PSN ID
    bizarro_thirteen
    Admartian,

You bring up some fantastic points.

I would also like to mention that the elitism can also make it difficult for some new folks to fit in. If you are pining for the old folks who have left and not cultivating the new folks coming in, you aren't really doing the forum community a service.

I am not saying that is what is happening here. I'm just stating my experience from previous experiences.

2. Likes Admartian likes this post
    Veteran

PSN ID
    Cybertox
    Quote Originally Posted by bizarro13 View Post
    Admartian,

I would also like to mention that the elitism can also make it difficult for some new folks to fit in. If you are pining for the old folks who have left and not cultivating the new folks coming in, you aren't really doing the forum community a service.

I am not saying that is what is happening here. I'm just stating my experience from previous experiences.
    This is actually happening and is one of the points which i wanted to make but refrained from doing so.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Hmmm... I don't think it's a problem, the elitism. If it is, please report it when needed. I will be happy to take care of it.

Veteran

PSN ID
    Cybertox
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Hmmm... I don't think it's a problem, the elitism. If it is, please report it when needed. I will be happy to take care of it.
    You are actually one of those contributing to elitism. So I aint reporting $#@! to you.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybertox View Post
    You are actually one of those contributing to elitism. So I aint reporting $#@! to you.
    Care to explain how you define elitism then? I think I'd be the last one anyone reported as being an elitist. Gimme your take on it. What is elitism and how do I fit that?

PSU Editor
    PSN ID
    bizarro_thirteen
    This is actually happening and is one of the points which i wanted to make but refrained from doing so.
    I think there is a way to do that without any animosity. I'm not in charge of community here so I don't want to speak out of turn, but I'm certain there are people willing to have conversations about that (referring to your response to F34R.)

I've seen forums fragment due to elitism and problems between members and staff. At the end of the day though, these communities survive by everyone getting on the same page and promoting growth.

8. Likes F34R , Pong likes this post
    Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Admartian,

Great point.

I miss the old dudes as much as anybody here! Aussie roll call thread, guys like Baki, trib, nuvian, etc etc.

But bizarro is right, we need to cultivate new users and people.
    What? Odd coming from the person that is bringing up the poitns about old members and such. Just saying mate - unless you are referring to another example.

#IndieStation4 and proud of it.

Veteran
    There are ways to promote new registrations and more quality post activity. The site owners and managers (Mods) would need to come up with a gameplan and implement it. Of course it is easy to just type those words, but if the people running this site want to put the effort into it, than it can be done.

It first comes down to what the expectations are for the site. I think the site has a strong foundation and has a lot of potential. It is good as it is but can only get better with some effort.

EDIT

Quote Originally Posted by Admartian View Post
    I miss the old dudes as much as anybody here! Aussie roll call thread, guys like Baki, trib, nuvian, etc etc.
    Baki, Tribunal, Nuvian and you were some of my favorites. The_One was another that comes to mind that contributed in some great discussions. Good times.
    Last edited by Pong; 01-17-2014 at 21:41.

Veteran

PSN ID
    Cybertox
    Care to explain how you define elitism then? I think I'd be the last one anyone reported as being an elitist. Gimme your take on it. What is elitism and how do I fit that?
    Its even funny how I even have to point that out. You rarely welcome new members and when you do you just do it for the sake of it and never interact with them after they have joined, you never quote their posts, never mention them nor pay attention to them, you are constantly in discussion only with those who are more or less superior members. All these give away contests you do have very elitist conditions for entering or attaining the price. You constantly brag about your golden stars and your amount of posts for which you even created a separate thread and named it the chronicles of fear which is just pure egoism, elitism and intimidation to other new users. If you joined a new forum would you like to see a complete separate thread dedicated to a user showing off hist post count and posting every milestone he hits? Why cant you post in the general I official reached a certain amount of posts thread, why the $#@! do you think you are so special that you would need a separate one?

Veteran
    Its even funny how I even have to point that out. You rarely welcome new members and when you do you just do it for the sake of it and never interact with them after they have joined, you never quote their posts, never mention them nor pay attention to them, you are constantly in discussion only with those who are more or less superior members. All these give away contests you do have very elitist conditions for entering or attaining the price. You constantly brag about your golden stars and your amount of posts for which you even created a separate thread and named it the chronicles of fear which is just pure egoism, elitism and intimidation to other new users. If you joined a new forum would you like to see a complete separate thread dedicated to a user showing off hist post count and posting every milestone he hits? Why cant you post in the general I official reached a certain amount of posts thread, why the $#@! do you think you are so special that you would need a separate one?
    Must have felt good to get that off your chest, lol.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Quote Originally Posted by Pong View Post
    Must have felt good to get that off your chest, lol.
    I'm glad he did.

Veteran
    Items Manchester United
    It's good to unload...

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Items Joker (limited ICON)
    i can see it both ways.

when i was cm, i welcomed F34R posting his accomplishments. It showed (in my opinion) other posters that if you want to be noticed here, you have some work to do. Get involved, get posting. Lurkers don't gain favor. That's why I have always liked the member of the year stuff. it is a free, easy way for new members to make their mark on a couple categories, and eventually work their way into others.

I started here in 2007 as a member, and was promoted to SMC in 2008 by Aje at the time because of my posting habits and reputation. Reflex made me mod less than a year after. Same reason. There is no reason a member can't look at the successes of other members here and strive towards that.

Now, one thing I do agree with is, there are packs of members here that run around like they are in West Side Story. The support and talk only to one another, they mock new posters, or find ways to make life hard. It sucks, but it does happen.

We also have a continuing problem that people can't shut the hell up and stay out of threads they don't agree with and instead of arguing a point they just thrash it. Threads get hostile, FAST at times. If I were a lurker these days and saw this $#@!, I would leave PSU never to return. Hell, I almost do now! I can't stomach most of the PS/MS threads because I just don't want some ass trashing my post because I didn't post the right sentiment.

Cyber - elitism is a double edged sword. In some instances it CAN be a motivator, but in some not. Here, during my time as CM, I saw more people than naught striving to be LIKE F34R in his posting habits and activity.

Just different ways to look at things man

16. Likes Admartian , Pong likes this post
    Veteran

PSN ID
    Cybertox
    I'm glad he did.
    You just have to admit that all the things proving you are an elitist got laid out on the table. No need for this "Im glad he did" for avoiding clear facts or taking the topic to another direction.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuguy View Post
    i can see it both ways.

when i was cm, i welcomed F34R posting his accomplishments. It showed (in my opinion) other posters that if you want to be noticed here, you have some work to do. Get involved, get posting. Lurkers don't gain favor. That's why I have always liked the member of the year stuff. it is a free, easy way for new members to make their mark on a couple categories, and eventually work their way into others.

I started here in 2007 as a member, and was promoted to SMC in 2008 by Aje at the time because of my posting habits and reputation. Reflex made me mod less than a year after. Same reason. There is no reason a member can't look at the successes of other members here and strive towards that.

Now, one thing I do agree with is, there are packs of members here that run around like they are in West Side Story. The support and talk only to one another, they mock new posters, or find ways to make life hard. It sucks, but it does happen.

We also have a continuing problem that people can't shut the hell up and stay out of threads they don't agree with and instead of arguing a point they just thrash it. Threads get hostile, FAST at times. If I were a lurker these days and saw this $#@!, I would leave PSU never to return. Hell, I almost do now! I can't stomach most of the PS/MS threads because I just don't want some ass trashing my post because I didn't post the right sentiment.

Cyber - elitism is a double edged sword. In some instances it CAN be a motivator, but in some not. Here, during my time as CM, I saw more people than naught striving to be LIKE F34R in his posting habits and activity.

Just different ways to look at things man
    Cuguy, you can vouch for me lol. I harassed you to hell and back, and most of the other staff, about this. I'm dealing with it right now, and hopefully we'll get that problem taken care of.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    You just have to admit that all the things proving you are an elitist got laid out on the table. No need for this "Im glad he did" for avoiding clear facts or taking the topic to another direction.
    Look, that's your way of seeing it. I don't think any explanation or reply I give will change that.

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Items Joker (limited ICON)
    Cuguy, you can vouch for me lol. I harassed you to hell and back, and most of the other staff, about this. I'm dealing with it right now, and hopefully we'll get that problem taken care of.

For sure... i hope it does, because I truly think the hostile poise that a lot of members here have towards their console is what keeps lurkers out. Who the hell would want to join a thread when they see $#@! like we have here in the first page of most of them?

21. Likes Pong likes this post
    Veteran

PSN ID
    Cybertox
    Discussing members possible "hostile" behavior publicly and saying we will then finally take care of it is another trace of elitism perfectly demonstrated in this conversation. There is a lot of elitism on this forum its just that members dont want to admit because they are comfortable with it. I dont even want to continue about this cause all this stuff just makes me sad and keeps reminding me why I had long breaks from this forum.

Racing Game Fanatic
    PSN ID
    gold106gti
    Items Title StyleVitaPS3 Slim
    On the bright side though the website is listed on Wikipedia
    PSN ID: gold106gti

Twitter ID: Duffman1986

My New Youtube Gaming Channel: Duffman Gaming

24. Likes Ghost , Pong likes this post
    PSU Editor
    PSN ID
    bizarro_thirteen
    Discussing members possible "hostile" behavior publicly and saying we will then finally take care of it is another trace of elitism perfectly demonstrated in this conversation. There is a lot of elitism on this forum its just that members dont want to admit because they are comfortable with it. I dont even want to continue about this cause all this stuff just makes me sad and keeps reminding me why I had long breaks from this forum.
    My question to you is what is the gain from anyone admitting it? Whether they admit it or not publicly, does that satisfy your desire to remain as a contributing member of the community? I find that when there's angst in my life about something, I reevaluate the need for it in my life.

I'm not telling you to pack your bags. I'm just sensing that whatever the result of the conversation happening here may not be the desired result you seek.

26. Likes F34R , Pong likes this post
    Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    The good news is I saved 15 percent on my car insurance.

PSU Editor
    PSN ID
    bizarro_thirteen
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercrow View Post
    The good news is I saved $20 on my car insurance.
    Is that 15%?

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Is that 15%?
    Yeah thanks. Edited my post. lol

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Honestly I'm going to mark it mostly up to the time period in game. The other forms of discussions don't help but right now there isn't much on the foreseeable future in gaming. I mean look you have one big exclusive very soon for both systems. Titanfall and Infamous.

I just think this slow period was inevitable. It's just how things are after console launches. People know this early on the life cycle we are not going to get many bombshells or significant news for titles since they are not coming out until fall. Once March rolls around and some substantial second wave games start releasing it will improve. Then e3 shortly after that.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by PS4freak View Post
    Honestly I'm going to mark it mostly up to the time period in game. The other forms of discussions don't help but right now there isn't much on the foreseeable future in gaming. I mean look you have one big exclusive very soon for both systems. Titanfall and Infamous.

I just think this slow period was inevitable. It's just how things are after console launches. People know this early on the life cycle we are not going to get many bombshells or significant news for titles since they are not coming out until fall. Once March rolls around and some substantial second wave games start releasing it will improve. Then e3 shortly after that.
    I agree. And let me go on record saying that I think E3 this year is going to amaze. There will be plenty to talk about leading up to and after E3. Can I get a woot, woot?

Thread Information