Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 ... LastLast
    Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    A lot of cool content up in this beatch!

Quote Originally Posted by Cuguy View Post
    don't want an ass kicking just for being a smart ass
    Rag on Dj and you'll get the opposite to an ass kicking...whatever that may be lol (I'll delegate this task to F34R? )

Quote Originally Posted by Pong View Post
    There are ways to promote new registrations and more quality post activity. The site owners and managers (Mods) would need to come up with a gameplan and implement it. Of course it is easy to just type those words, but if the people running this site want to put the effort into it, than it can be done.

It first comes down to what the expectations are for the site. I think the site has a strong foundation and has a lot of potential. It is good as it is but can only get better with some effort.
    If you ever ehave any ideas to share, please drop me a PM. The key to PSU's future can't just be in my head, it might not be the right key lol, so hearing other people's ideas is important to me.

That goes for anyone. If you have an idea that could build sub cultures or avenues of engagement at the site, let me know. If it sounds good we can give it a go.

Justin's idea of official threads for games is something I've liked the idea of for ages. I think that the threads would merrit some TLC in the presentation department and I think there should be some general format for consistency but we should look at this.

Driveclub Team A Head
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    Items Title StyleVitaPS3 Slim
    I agree, would quite happily chat about many games I have love for so an official thread for games is a great idea, but would there have to be enough interest in the game to make it worth while?
    PSN ID: Duffman19864

Twitter ID: Duffman1986

My New Youtube Gaming Channel: Duffman Gaming

Master Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    If you ever ehave any ideas to share, please drop me a PM. The key to PSU's future can't just be in my head, it might not be the right key lol, so hearing other people's ideas is important to me.
    What about letting guests post?

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    jlmc1978
    Items User name style
    Maybe let guests post, but have their post moderated until it's approved by a staff member. I had that hack on a vbulletin site that I admin'd for a few years. Little extra work but it did help with numbers.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

'It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.' - Abraham Lincoln

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    You can let them post a certain number of times as a guest, then they have to register to continue. That's workable.

6. Likes Justin likes this post
    Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    You can let them post a certain number of times as a guest, then they have to register to continue. That's workable.
    I have no problem with that and think it's a great idea.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    jlmc1978
    Items User name style
    Unless it's moderated, you're probably gonna have troublemakers getting away with trolling until staff can edit or delete. Not only that, the number of posts would have to be handled by IP, they could switch IP and keep posting, or cause big problems as guests by simply IP jumping. For most that's as easy as unplugging their modem and reconnecting to the internet. Otherwise, every guest would be assigned a nickname like "guest1234", upon exit from forum, their nick would be released. If guests can keep their user name, isn't that the same as registering? Then you got a bunch of guests nicks permanently registered too. Lots of possibilities with unmoderated guest posting.

'It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.' - Abraham Lincoln

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Quote Originally Posted by jonathanm1978 View Post
    Unless it's moderated, you're probably gonna have troublemakers getting away with trolling until staff can edit or delete. Not only that, the number of posts would have to be handled by IP, they could switch IP and keep posting, or cause big problems as guests by simply IP jumping. For most that's as easy as unplugging their modem and reconnecting to the internet. Otherwise, every guest would be assigned a nickname like "guest1234", upon exit from forum, their nick would be released. If guests can keep their user name, isn't that the same as registering? Then you got a bunch of guests nicks permanently registered too. Lots of possibilities with unmoderated guest posting.

... and there's the downfall to the guest post system. I mean, I'm up for a challenge in the way of moderating it, but dayum. Anyone else wanna do it? lol

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    ... and there's the downfall to the guest post system. I mean, I'm up for a challenge in the way of moderating it, but dayum. Anyone else wanna do it? lol
    lol

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Nope. Have fun!

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by PS4freak View Post
    Nope. Have fun!
    Nobody wants that job. lol

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    jlmc1978
    Items User name style
    No for me either...I listed what I did because of what I tried and found easiest for the site I owned and ran....I didn't say I enjoyed doing it, not one bit. It's work, my days of sitting on a forum from 5 am until 3 pm without a break, and not getting any pay...Are likely over. Did it for two years. What a long two days.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Nope. Have fun!

Dedicated Member
    Me personally haven't bought a ps4 yet and wouldn't do so for another few months. So i really don't feel like browsing the forums much lately as i don't think there's a lot to discuss for me.

Another point which a poster touched upon a few posts above would also be relevant to this discussion- that console gaming's popularity itself has gone down a couple of notches after the advent of tablets and smartphones lately. Not that it is any dying breed, far from it, but its potency has certainly weakened lately after mobile gaming has made headway into the market. This wasn't the scenario around the ps3 launch in 2006 or console launches prior to that.

Master Sage
    Limiting how much someone can post each day would be better than limiting how much someone can post before registering imo as getting people to register is the problem and i've seen the other method used before which usually frustrates people and turns them away rather than draw them in, some people just don't like registering.

Don't let them create threads just post on existing ones, right now their are 550 guests and 36 actual members on so if you can even get 10% of those posting it'd still be a huge boost in traffic, some may then decide to register or others may want to just stay as a guest.
    Last edited by Bitbydeath; 01-19-2014 at 07:01.

Veteran

PSN ID
    Cybertox
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitbydeath View Post
    Limiting how much someone can post each day would be better than limiting how much someone can post before registering imo as getting people to register is the problem and i've seen the other method used before which usually frustrates people and turns them away rather than draw them in, some people just don't like registering.

Don't let them create threads just post on existing ones, right now their are 550 guests and 36 actual members on so if you can even get 10% of those posting it'd still be a huge boost in traffic, some may then decide to register or others may want to just stay as a guest.
    Do you even understand what you are saying? You created a thread asking why there is so much lack of activity lately and now you suggest to limit how much a user can post who is the most active individual on this forum and let guests post which means they dont really have to join the community and they can write and do whatever they want because they are not registered-users meaning admins will have to do additional monitoring of non-registered users. If you want to increase the activity of the forum, the way to do it is certainly not the one you mentioned.

Master Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybertox View Post
    Do you even understand what you are saying? You created a thread asking why there is so much lack of activity lately and now you suggest to limit how much a user can post who is the most active individual on this forum and let guests post which means they dont really have to join the community and they can write and do whatever they want because they are not registered-users meaning admins will have to do additional monitoring of non-registered users. If you want to increase the activity of the forum, the way to do it is certainly not the one you mentioned.
    No you mis-read. My post was about "guests" not everyone, F34R suggested one method to limit guests posting and i countered with another. I'd rather have no limit personally but it could make for more work for the mods.

PSU Editor
    PSN ID
    bizarro_thirteen
    Where do you guys get this idea that console gaming is less popular because of mobile? Have you seen the numbers? More Xbox One and PS4s have already sold than ANY of the other systems at launch ever.

Console gaming is doing just fine. Forums in general are what the real issue is. People don't gravitate towards them because they are archaic in terms of communities on the Internet.

I'm seeing quite a bit of animosity between users that is carrying over into other threads too. That certainly doesn't help either.

Veteran

PSN ID
    Cybertox
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitbydeath View Post
    No you mis-read. My post was about "guests" not everyone, F34R suggested one method to limit guests posting and i countered with another. I'd rather have no limit personally but it could make for more work for the mods.
    Yep, I mis-read. Thanks for the explanation.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    A lot of cool content up in this beatch!

Rag on Dj and you'll get the opposite to an ass kicking...whatever that may be lol (I'll delegate this task to F34R? )

That goes for anyone. If you have an idea that could build sub cultures or avenues of engagement at the site, let me know. If it sounds good we can give it a go.

Justin's idea of official threads for games is something I've liked the idea of for ages. I think that the threads would merrit some TLC in the presentation department and I think there should be some general format for consistency but we should look at this.
    I have ideas and would be happy to help. I have some family things to do today but I'll send a PM within the next day or two.

22. Likes Justin likes this post
    YouTube Editor
    Items Tommy VercettiUser name styleModern Warfare 3
    New ideas are always welcomed Pong. I am sure you have a few things in mind!

8 years and counting!

overstepping the mark
    PSN ID
    SHAFT_N_BALLS
    Items User name style
    Is there unlimited reading available to guests on here?

I think one of the reasons i joined some forums was because i was looking up information,and probably 2 pages into a thread then BAM, couldn't read any more unless i took 2 seconds out of my life to register. Might be an old fashioned way of doing things but it might work?

Ok... I was wrong. Happy?

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Quote Originally Posted by -Shafty- View Post
    Is there unlimited reading available to guests on here?

I think one of the reasons i joined some forums was because i was looking up information,and probably 2 pages into a thread then BAM, couldn't read any more unless i took 2 seconds out of my life to register. Might be an old fashioned way of doing things but it might work?
    Yes, unless no.

Master Guru
    I stopped posting for the most part because i've been posting over at UnionVGF, which is a new gaming site that was formerly known as TXB. Most of the community moved over there when IGN neglected us and let spam bots over run the place.

That and i went with the Xbox One first over the PS4. So it's not like i have much of anything to say here about the PS4 as i don't own one yet. I promise to be more active when i do get around to getting the Quad.

overstepping the mark
    PSN ID
    SHAFT_N_BALLS
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by TDbank24 View Post
    I stopped posting for the most part because i've been posting over at UnionVGF, which is a new gaming site that was formerly known as TXB. Most of the community moved over there when IGN neglected us and let spam bots over run the place.

That and i went with the Xbox One first over the PS4. So it's not like i have much of anything to say here about the PS4 as i don't own one yet. I promise to be more active when i do get around to getting the Quad.

Ok... I was wrong. Happy?

Thread Information