Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I wonder what the numbers would be if Contrast and Resogun were thrown in the mix.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercrow View Post
    Sony says theyre still ahead in the US in total sales.
    I wouldn't doubt it. I thought they would be ahead on the NPD Dec. 13 sales too though.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    I wouldn't doubt it. I thought they would be ahead on the NPD Dec. 13 sales too though.
    Yeah I did too. Good thing I didnt make any bets. lol

PSU Technical Advisor
    Your position is ignoring supply, Mynd. The demand for the PS4 in NA is there but its sold out everywhere. Microsoft, on the other hand, focused heavily on the NA launch and has had nowhere near the global presence and demands Sony has had with their console.

Put another way, I bet you if the PS4 had as many units (or more) in the US than Microsoft did with their Xbox One it would have toppled their sales.

Economics 101. Supply and demand. Demand is definitely here, but supply isn't.

Edit: Wait... This is about games and not consoles sold.
    Last edited by Vulgotha; 01-17-2014 at 22:12.

5. Likes mistercrow likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    Hmmmm, so third party games overall sold better on PS4. Interesting.
    Killzone or Knack, yeah.... lol.
    Plus SONY has won over a few Xbox fans, so third party will be key.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercrow View Post
    Sony says theyre still ahead in the US in total sales.
    Correct, at best, the number is about 2.5 million at worst its 1.9.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulgotha View Post
    Your position is ignoring supply, Mynd. The demand for the PS4 in NA is there but its sold out everywhere. Microsoft, on the other hand, focused heavily on the NA launch and has had nowhere near the global presence and demands Sony has had with their console. Put another way, I bet you if the PS4 had as many units (or more) in the US than Microsoft did with their Xbox One it would have toppled their sales. Economics 101. Supply and demand. Demand is definitely here, but supply isn't. Edit: Wait... This is about games and not consoles sold.
    I just realized that too. My comment was about hardware. lol

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    Correct, at best, the number is about 2.5 million at worst its 1.9. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah I was wondering by how much. Thanks.

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Err yes. Tie in ratio.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Your position is ignoring supply, Mynd. The demand for the PS4 in NA is there but its sold out everywhere. Microsoft, on the other hand, focused heavily on the NA launch and has had nowhere near the global presence and demands Sony has had with their console.

Put another way, I bet you if the PS4 had as many units (or more) in the US than Microsoft did with their Xbox One it would have toppled their sales.

I agree with you.. there is was, is, a limited supply. I mean, that is probably the reason the One sold more than the PS4. However, the numbers are there, and that is that.

yes, it was about the games lol. I didn't realize it earlier either.

PSU Technical Advisor
    Err yes. Tie in ratio.

I only bought KZ:SF and BF4 with my PS4.. In addition to the free games I got at launch (Resogun, Contrast, and the F2P games).

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER

I only bought KZ:SF and BF4 with my PS4.. In addition to the free games I got at launch (Resogun, Contrast, and the F2P games).
    I think KZ and Resogun are my only exclusives on the PS4.

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style

XB1: Sold 4.8 million (retail games) vs PS4's 4.2 million

Not interested in AC4 or any other retail titles?

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    I will admit I'm surprised by all the Xbox numbers I didn't expect terrible but I didn't expect the numbers to be this strong.

Veteran
    Items Manchester United
    Its great stuff. Choice is king...

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    I wonder... are the F2P games also launched in Eu?
    Just wondering if between the F2P and free games you get with PSN, people are just happy playing those.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Just wondering if between the F2P and free games you get with PSN, people are just happy playing those.
    I'm sure it doesn't hurt. I know it has helped tide me over.

Banned

This goes to prove "No good deed goes unpunished".

I've seen the way people react to good news when it comes to the Xbox One in threads over the weeks. They will on one hand praise the Xbox One for selling well and congratulate Microsoft. On the other hand, they basically nullify that compliment by dismissively saying it wouldn't be that good had PS4 not been supply constrained. That's known as a "backhanded compliment" where you are giving praise, while at the same time are diminishing the very accomplishment you are praising.

First of all, that's speculation that it's due to PS4 supply issues. Second, I don't think I have ever heard of anybody going into a store to buy a $400 console and decided to spend $100 more on a different console simply because the $400 console wasn't in stock. I'm sure a couple idiots have done this, but certainly not enough idiots to explain the numbers. Especially when the Xbox 360 sold like gangbusters too this Christmas season.

I've never heard of a kid asking a parent "Mom....dad..... I want a next-gen console. I don't care which."..... OR..."I want a PS4. And if there aren't any, then go ahead and get me an Xbox One instead". People....be it children or adults, usually know what they want. Especially when it's a purchase that's $400 or more. I can't see a kid asking for a PS4 and a parent shelling out $100 more just so the kid has SOME next-gen console under the tree in time for Christmas. Especially when kids are willing to wait until after Christmas to get a lot of the things they want through gift cards given to them at Christmas.

The only chance I see a parent defying a kid's wish is if he wanted a Xbox One and his parents said "$#@! no... I'm not spending $500 on a console. You can get the $100 cheaper PS4, or the $200 cheaper Wi U... or no next-gen console at all. Take your pick!"

I remember when the Xbox 360 launched supply constrained and the Sony crowd accused them of manufacturing fake demand by supply constraining it on purpose. But when the PS4 is supply constrained, somehow the same concept isn't applied to Sony.

Look.... I agree with everybody that the PS4 is selling better overall world wide thanks to either the price, the specs, the lack of bad press, the long established Sony name in gaming.....or ALL OF THE ABOVE. But you guys look silly praising an accomplishment you don't really take seriously just cuz you SPECULATE a lot of the purchases were made cuz people couldn't find a PS4. Makes little sense.

Anyways.... congrats to BOTH Microsoft and Sony. Not only did they both sell a lot of Xbox Ones and PS4s, they also sold a lot of Xbox 360s and PS3s! That's pretty darn good considering the STILL lousy economy. Gaming consoles are far from dead. The news of the death of console gaming has been greatly exaggerated.
    Last edited by GreatSpaceKoaster; 01-17-2014 at 23:49.

PSU Technical Advisor
    Not interested in AC4 or any other retail titles?

I think Assassin's Creed is about as interesting as a gluing my eyeballs to a telephone pole.

I've felt that since I played the first one, incidentally.

But no, nothing else really 'speaks' to me in the lineup. Knack, which I played extensively, is total garbage. NFS I was never into (but maybe should consider?).. I want Second Sun and I'm (cautiously) interested in Drive Club.

I'm totally hopping up in down in my seat for the upcoming Dynasty Warriors release on PS4. Naturally I'm ecstatic about Destiny.

To be fair, I didn't just purchase myself a PS4. I got my best bud one too along with KZ:SF (free game via Amazon) and PS+ for a year.

So I'm kind of an outlier.
    Last edited by Vulgotha; 01-17-2014 at 23:42.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatSpaceKoaster View Post
    This goes to prove "No good deed goes unpunished".

I've seen the way people react to good news when it comes to the Xbox One in threads over the weeks. They will on one hand praise the Xbox One for selling well and congratulate Microsoft. On the other hand, they basically nullify that compliment by dismissively saying it wouldn't be that good had PS4 not been supply constrained. That's known as a "backhanded compliment" where you are giving praise, while at the same time are diminishing the very accomplishment you are praising.

First of all, that's speculation that it's due to PS4 supply issues. Second, I don't think I have ever heard of anybody going into a store to buy a $400 console and decided to spend $100 more on different console simply because the $400 console wasn't in stock. I'm sure a couple idiots have done this, but certainly not enough idiots to explain the numbers. Especially when the Xbox 360 sold like gangbusters too this Christmas season.

I've never heard of a kid asking a parent "Mom....dad..... I want a next-gen console. I don't care which."..... OR..."I want a PS4. And if there aren't any, then go ahead and get me an Xbox One instead". People....be it children or adults, usually know what they want. Especially when it's a purchase that's $400 or more. I can't see a kid asking for a PS4 and a parent shelling out $100 more just so the kid has SOME next-gen console under the tree in time for Christmas. Especially when kids are willing to wait until after Christmas to get a lot of the things they want through gift cards given to them at Christmas.

The only chance I see a parent defying a kid's wish is if he wanted a Xbox One and his parents said "$#@! no... I'm not spending $500 on a console. You can get the $100 cheaper PS4, or the $200 cheaper Wi U... or no next-gen console at all. Take your pick!"

I remember when the Xbox 360 launched supply constrained and the Sony crowd accused them of manufacturing fake demand by supply constraining it on purpose. But when the PS4 is supply constrained, somehow the same concept isn't applied to Sony.

Look.... I agree with everybody that the PS4 is selling better overall world wide thanks to either the price, the specs, the lack of bad press, the long established Sony name in gaming.....or ALL OF THE ABOVE. But you guys look silly praising an accomplishment you don't really take seriously just cuz you SPECULATE a lot of the purchases were made cuz people couldn't find a PS4. Makes little sense.

Anyways.... congrats to BOTH Microsoft and Sony. Not only did they both sell a lot of Xbox Ones and PS4s, they also sold a lot of Xbox 360s and PS3s! That's pretty darn good considering the STILL lousy economy. Gaming consoles are far from dead. The news of the death of console gaming has been greatly exaggerated.
    But this is about games so...

PSU Technical Advisor
    I think they're mostly fairly crappy. To be fair, I don't have Warthunder (I'm in the US) and I've only played Blacklight to any real extent and its mediocre.

Warframe I was just totally turned off too.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by PS4freak View Post
    But this is about games so...
    Yes... it is. But this was said in the thread.....

He corrected himself, but it typifies the odd and dismissive logic applied to the Xbox platform in just about all areas.

PSU Technical Advisor
    Yes... it is. But this was said in the thread.....

He corrected himself, but it typifies the odd and dismissive logic applied to the Xbox platform in just about all areas.
    I really don't think it's all that odd. NA is the bastion for the Xbox brand, and the PS4 has not been doing poorly compared to it in spite of huge demand worldwide. Microsoft definitively has more units in NA than Sony did/does.

The PS4 has been severely supply constrained, the Xbox One not as much. Again, this makes sense given that MS has heavily prioritized North America whereas Sony has had its attentions divided.

I won't try and make the claim that I like Microsoft or the Xbox One. I don't. I strongly dislike both in fact.

But I try to remain as objective about this sort of thing as possible and I way the opposing positions. I can definitely change my mind, and I think people here will attest to this.

Banned

I really don't think it's all that odd. NA is the bastion for the Xbox brand, and the PS4 has not been doing poorly compared to it in spite of huge demand worldwide. Microsoft definitively has more units in NA than Sony did/does.

The PS4 has been severely supply constrained, the Xbox One not as much. Again, this makes sense given that MS has heavily prioritized North America whereas Sony has had its attentions divided.

I won't try and make the claim that I like Microsoft or the Xbox One. I don't. I strongly dislike both in fact.

But I try to remain as objective about this sort of thing as possible and I way the opposing positions. I can definitely change my mind, and I think people here will attest to this.
    Yes... but Xbox being a bastion in America is a far more logical argument for the numbers than a person spending $100 MORE for a console they didn't want in the first place simply because the PS4 wasn't in stock.

Forum Overseer
    Yes... but Xbox being a bastion in America is a far more logical argument for the numbers than a person spending $100 MORE for a console they didn't want in the first place simply because the PS4 wasn't in stock.
    we will see that in the coming months.

Thread Information