Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    Nakatomi_Uk
    Items Intel Core i7PS3 SlimFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VII

Why SEGA Could Never Make Skies Of Arcadia 2

I was just browsing the gaming net on old stories etc and came across this a fan letter to the head of SEGA and apparently he responded too, me personally SoA is still one the best games SEGA ever released on Dreamcast and this is a reason why it would never get a sequel because of the way SEGA have lost the plot with the gaming industry and how they are obsessed with nostalgia, and the serious problems with Aliens Colonial Marines by Gearbox being a flop.

Source: http://www.p4rgaming.com/sega-ceo-we...-let-you-down/

A Japanese fanís letter to the president of Sega regarding a Skies of Arcadia sequel has received a rare reply from the president himself. He describes not wanting to let more people down and that Sega does not deserve to be in the games business.

arcadia

The following is a translation of Sega CEO Hajime Satomiís response to the letter:

Thank you for taking the time to write to us. Unfortunately, there are currently no plans to release a sequel for Eternal Arcadia (Japanese name for Skies of Arcadia). To be honest, Iím not sure if we even deserve to be in the games business.

Our reputation has taken quite a dive in recent years. Weíre still reeling from the repercussions of releasing the 15th Anniversary Sonic the Hedgehog game (commonly known as Sonic 2006). That is forever a mark on our formerly good name.

As a publisher, we can not seem to get our act in order. A release in the United States known as Aliens: Colonial Marines was completely botched by its developer Gearbox and was critically panned. We did absolutely nothing in response. We were just taken advantage of.

Even if we did release an Eternal Arcadia sequel, we can not ensure that the quality would be to your liking. The long-awaited sequel to NiGHTS was also met with negative reviews. How many more people can we afford to let down? I say, none.

There is a reason we are not making Valkyria of the Battlefield 4 (Japanese name for Valkyria Chronicles), we would just mess it up. I was honestly surprised that we could still make a new series that was actually good. Today, I still use this series as justification for keeping our games division alive which is why I can not afford a series decline like Sonic the Hedgehog.

We are running on nostalgia at this point. Sonic Generations used up all the nostalgia we could possibly wring out of the Sonic series and now we are creatively bankrupt. The Sonic & Sega Racing series uses a similar tactic by using characters like Vyse and Alex Kidd to foster nostalgic thoughts.

Please do not get your hopes up for an Eternal Arcadia sequel. Just play the Valkyria of the Battlefield series as Vyse appears in it as a playable character. It may not be the same, but at least you will be playing a good game.

Sincerely,

Satomi Hajime

The fan allegedly responded on 2channel saying, ďI guess I should just burn my Dreamcast then.Ē
    I also understand it shouldn't be under PS3 Games but I believe if they did do a sequel that SEGA would of released it on PS3 as well as 360
    Last edited by Nakatomi Uk; 01-18-2014 at 14:33.

Win 7 Ult 64bit, Gigabyte Z68AP-D3 Rev.1/Bios F8 , INTEL i7 2600k 3.40ghz, Crucial Ballistix Elite 8GB DDR3 1866mhz (1600mhz@1.60v), Crucial 128GB M4 SSD, WD 1TB Blue 7,200rpm, Hitachi 1TB 7,200rpm (Back-Up HDD), HIS 7850 2GB GDDR5 PCI-E Card, OCZ Fatality 750 Mod PSU, LG DVD-RAM RW

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    LM-93
    Items Battlefield 3AppleAvenged SevenfoldEA SportsJoker (limited ICON)Metallica
    I can't see an owner of a company so openly criticising his own works, however abysmal games are, companies back them to the hills.
    I think this is just (ex) fan made, however good points are raised because Sega have been shocking in recent years.

PSN: LM-93
    Lets Play!
    PS4.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Had the DC not flopped they may well have done a second.

Please help our Final Fantasy Community get off the ground:
    http://forums.final7fantasy.com/

Selected Members Council
    Yeah, that isn't real. Play4Real is a joke site.

As far as I know, Overworks had started some work on a sequel until Sega decided to pull out of the hardware business. They did port Skies of Arcadia to the GameCube at least and still renew the trademark so perhaps one day they'll be comfortable making a sequel or spiritual successor. I know I'd buy one.
    Last edited by Metal King Slime; 01-18-2014 at 20:04.
    Thanks to Kwes for the avatar and Sylar for the signature!

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    Nakatomi_Uk
    Items Intel Core i7PS3 SlimFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VII
    Fair enough then it's not real my bad but whats not stopping SEGA from releasing the original or GC version on PSN AND XBL for £5 or something heck put trophies in it and the trophy freaks will buy it in a heart beat, thats what I dont get there sitting on some fantastic Dreamcast nostalgia like Skies or Arcadia, Powerstone, Phantasy Star Online and loads more others yet they'd rather chuck out the same old Sonic Adventure 1 & 2, Crazy Taxi the same crap everytime

Win 7 Ult 64bit, Gigabyte Z68AP-D3 Rev.1/Bios F8 , INTEL i7 2600k 3.40ghz, Crucial Ballistix Elite 8GB DDR3 1866mhz (1600mhz@1.60v), Crucial 128GB M4 SSD, WD 1TB Blue 7,200rpm, Hitachi 1TB 7,200rpm (Back-Up HDD), HIS 7850 2GB GDDR5 PCI-E Card, OCZ Fatality 750 Mod PSU, LG DVD-RAM RW

Selected Members Council
    I know, it's sad. At one point they were teasing re-releases for Shenmue and Skies of Arcadia, with Sega's brand manager saying they were a couple of their most requested games, and yet nothing... :/

Then you have Phantasy Star Online 2 which, for all we know, has completely skipped out on a western release. Maybe because it's riskier for companies to sell an online game but I don't know. I don't understand Sega sometimes.
    Last edited by Metal King Slime; 01-19-2014 at 19:45.
    Thanks to Kwes for the avatar and Sylar for the signature!

Thread Information