Page 1 of 13 111 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Veteran
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Microsoft& Machinima Offering $3 to YouTube VLoggers but terms force non-disclosure

http://segmentnext.com/interstitial....mote-xbox-one/

Today marks a sad day in gaming history. Youtube is officialy going to be blanketed in astroturf. RIP social media, you were fun while it lasted.

Stealth marketing: Microsoft paying YouTubers for Xbox One mentions

Machinima campaign offered undisclosed money to videos promoting new console.

by Kyle Orland - Jan 20 2014, 10:50am CST

A leaked image from the campaign e-mail sent to Machinima partners.
    NeoGAF
    The line between traditional, paid advertising and organic editorial content on the Internet can sometimes be hazy. A recent stealth promotional campaign between Microsoft and Machinima highlights just how hazy that line has become, and how behind-the-scenes payments can drive ostensibly independent opinion-mongering on by users on services like YouTube.
    This weekend, word started leaking of a new promotion offering Machinima video partners an additional $3 CPM (i.e., $3 per thousand video views) for posting videos featuring Xbox One content. The promotion was advertised by Machinima's UK community manager in a since-deleted tweet, and it also appears on Machinima's activity feed on Poptent, a clearinghouse for these kind of video marketing campaigns. The Poptent page also mentions an earlier campaign surrounding the Xbox One's launch in November, which offered an additional $1 CPM for videos "promoting the Xbox One and its release games."
    To qualify for the campaign (and the extra payments), Machinima partners had to post a video including at least 30 seconds of Xbox One game footage that mentioned the Xbox One by name and included the tag "XB1M13." A YouTube search for that relatively unique term turns up "about 6,590 results," but a quick scan of those results shows only a few hundred that actually seem to be tagged for the Machinima promotion.
    These kinds of payments aren't inherently suspect in and of themselves. If the video makers disclosed that Microsoft was paying extra for these videos, and if they were allowed to say whatever they wanted in those videos, then the whole thing could be seen as merely an unorthodox way to increase exposure for the Xbox One on YouTube.
    That's not the case, however. According to a leaked copy of the full legal agreement behind the promotion, video creators "may not say anything negative or disparaging about Machinima, Xbox One, or any of its Games" and must keep the details of the promotional agreement confidential in order to qualify for payment. In other words, to get the money, video makers have to speak positively (or at least neutrally) about the Xbox One, and they can't say they're being paid to do so.
    The arrangement as described might go against the FTC's guidelines for the use of endorsements in advertising, which demand full disclosure when there is "a connection between the endorser and the seller of the advertised product that might materially affect the weight or credibility of the endorsement." The document offers a specific example of a video game blogger who gets a free game system that he later talks about on his blog. That blogger would need to disclose that gift, the FTC says, because his opinion is "disseminated via a form of consumer-generated media in which his relationship to the advertiser is not inherently obvious." That same reasoning would seem to apply to the opinions expressed by the video makers participating in this promotion. Neither Microsoft nor Machinima responded immediately to a request for comment on the matter, but we'll let you know if and when we hear from them.
    This kind of guerrilla online video advertising doesn't seem to be a major part of Microsoft's Xbox One marketing plan. According to the Machinima e-mail, Microsoft agreed to pay only for the first 1.25 million views in the promotion, putting the budget paid to video creators at a mere $3,750 (it's unclear if Machinima itself received any additional funds for facilitating the promotion). Poptent lists the campaign, which started on January 14, as "expired on January 16," suggesting that Microsoft has already reached that desired video view goal. That money may be pulling more than its weight, though, as those videos continue to attract additional views that Microsoft doesn't have to pay for directly.
    Whatever you think about the practice, there's reason to believe this kind of stealth promotion of "consumer-generated media" is likely to get more popular going forward. As readers and viewers get better at ignoring explicit, traditional ads—or start blocking them entirely with browser-side scripts—marketers are going to continue to try finding new ways to get their message out there through supposedly unbiased content creators. Something to keep in mind the next time you watch a video or read something from someone who says they're just an average, everyday consumer.
    http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/0...-one-mentions/

Arstechnica lowering the boom on all of this. There's no debate, the plan is utterly insidious and undermines social networking.

Gamers react:

Last edited by Lefein; 01-22-2014 at 01:26.

2. Likes VayMasters86 likes this post
    Valar Morghulis
    PSN ID
    SerinousTSE
    Items PS3 FatVitaPS3 Slim
    Wow.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Whatever you got to do to get your system sold. It is actually pretty smart. Use YouTube and all the billions of viewers to help promote the Xbox One. Sony should do the same.

Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethal_NFS View Post
    Whatever you got to do to get your system sold.
    Yeah, maybe they'll pay people to tweet about XBox One or post on Facebook about it. You know, so that way the metrics on those social media will be completely obfuscated..

This is not good. No matter how you slice it. It's reverse crowd-sourcing and it is the final frontier in marketing.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    It is called promoting. And in my opinion it is a very smart strategy.

Sony already uses Twitter and Facebook to promote their consoles. Why do you think we can upload pictures and videos straight to them? It is promoting the PS4 and it's games. Except we are not getting any money to do it.

Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethal_NFS View Post
    It is called promoting. And in my opinion it is a very smart strategy.

Sony already uses Twitter and Facebook to promote their consoles. Why do you think we can upload pictures and videos straight to them? It is promoting the PS4 and it's games. Except we are not getting any money to do it.
    It's all fun and games til someone with a server farm wants to play with this veritable blank check. I actually hope someone does. They deserve it.

Superior Member
    Sony does this to just behind the scenes.

Example time:

Chris Smoove --- http://www.youtube.com/user/Smoove7182954/videos

-has 1,446,156 subscribers. That's a lot.

This is all speculation on my part.
    Since the PS4 has came out he stopped playing all other games current or next gen except for NBA 2k14 on the PS4. He tags PS4 in the title of his videos even though he has never tagged what system he plays on before. Sony sent him to meet 3 nba players to play 2K14 on the PS4 and promote the PS4.

He's know for his 2k vids but also his call of duty vids. He hasn't uploaded a single call of duty video even though the new one is out. Clearly Sony is giving him some kind of incentive to behave in ways not previously noted. Because of Sony he also stopped playing Black Flag which is $#@!ed because I was watching that because he seems to excel at every game he plays.

Oh yeah the PS4 giveaways he's done.

Unlike Lefein I don't see the big deal.

But it does give credence to one thing. Being transparent doesn't get you $#@! and it's a fools game if you think it does. MS being transparent since the unveiling hasn't done a damn thing for em. They need to take notes from Sony on this aspect and say $#@! it. Even on this youtube thing I prefers MS being up front than Sony hijacking an entire youtubers with some unknown incentive.
    $#@!, oh well.

9. Likes Yungstar 2006, Sub-stance1 likes this post
    Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    So, it's bad for Microsoft to pay for advertising??? smh

11. Likes Yungstar 2006 likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    A true fan gives out free positive word of mouth, it is somewhat difficult to create hype out of nothing.
    Simply mentioning Xbox One in a stream of videos won't really do much except bore people unless they are already Xbox fans.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

Veteran
    PSN ID
    snooper71
    Items Naughty Dog
    Advertising? No problem... I don't call that advertising.

Sent from my C6506 using Tapatalk

Next Gen top picks:
    PS4: Infamous SS, DriveClub
    One: Project spark, Forza 5
    Multi: Watchdogs, The crew, FFXV, KHIII

14. Likes AttackTitan likes this post
    Fire the space harpoons!
    PSN ID
    TidalPhoenix
    Items New User TitleUser name style
    *shrugs* just marketing and advertising.

Nothing to to see here...move along

​aka Sparc

Entropy isn't what it used be

Elite Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Nothing wrong with that IMO. Its all part of the advertising campaign.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    This is really no different than those commercials with the fake actors who say they used and love the product. HOWEVER, those commercials are required to say "paid actor" at the bottom.

I think everyone would be fine with this initiative if the participants had to provide some type of disclaimer in the video's "About" section.

EDIT: I just realized that these videos must contain an "XB1M13" tag. So I suppose that would do the trick?
    Last edited by Ixion; 01-19-2014 at 17:05.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Thread title changed to reflect the article.

Miqo'te Bard
    Items New User TitleProtect yourselfFull Metal AlchemistFangDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverBattlefield 3Title StyleUser name style
    Guess I am one of the few people who do not follow some random dude on you tube and take what he says as the gospel. So I don't care. They prob have been doing this for a while. On both sides.
    I have twitter to https://twitter.com/GamerYuichi , Also started youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMu7yRGCz8QrTyxaNVR3Tqw I don't always twitch, but when I can you can find my noobness http://www.twitch.tv/yuichimccry,

20. Likes mynd , Mael Duin likes this post
    Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style
    this is just more throwing money out there. This is exactly why shareholders want to pull out of the console market on MS terms. They keep on throwing money everywhere but not one person here that is in favor of this understands that they have to make this money back and more in order to make a profit and to meet their business quota. This may not be much to some people, but this all adds up and it makes it more difficult to make more money and this money isn't coming out of the Xbox till, it's coming out of patent profits and maybe other things.

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefein View Post
    http://segmentnext.com/interstitial....mote-xbox-one/

Today marks a sad day in gaming history. Youtube is officialy going to be blanketed in astroturf. RIP social media, you were fun while it lasted.
    Link doesnt work. Just has adverts and says "skip ad" but pressing it does nothing.

Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    Link doesnt work. Just has adverts and says "skip ad" but pressing it does nothing.
    Here is another source.

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Mic...One-61718.html

Elite Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Demi_God View Post
    this is just more throwing money out there. This is exactly why shareholders want to pull out of the console market on MS terms. They keep on throwing money everywhere but not one person here that is in favor of this understands that they have to make this money back and more in order to make a profit and to meet their business quota. This may not be much to some people, but this all adds up and it makes it more difficult to make more money and this money isn't coming out of the Xbox till, it's coming out of patent profits and maybe other things.
    I don't think anyone here is worried about that. Overall MS is sitting on a pretty hefty cash reserve. They still make crazy profits.

From the one and only William Usher....lol not surprised by that.
    Last edited by Sub-stance1; 01-19-2014 at 18:07.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    Swordsman-45
    Items User name styleOne Piece
    Just like previous gen, ms wastes its own money, sony puts money more and more to games.
    (_)
    ( _)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)

MyAnimeList

Stop preordering games! Stop buying day1 games! Stop being idiots!

26. Likes Demi_God likes this post
    Elite Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Shingo View Post
    Just like previous gen, ms wastes its own money, sony puts money more and more to games.
    Good for sony. if they had the cash reserves as MS they probably would do it as much as MS. Its just business, and good business, IMO.

Superior Member
    That's the type of stuff you read. lolz. things make a lot more sense now.

I was waiting for the mirrored version of this thread in the PS4 section with Sony at the headline since I've shown you they do the same thing. Just in a more backroom wall street deal type of way. So they look clean.

Kudos to them.

But my inquiring mind wants to know is it still just a sad day in gaming history just because of MS or are they both included in this grave, grave, oh so grave bleak, dreary, dreadful, ominous, unsettling day that is video game advertising.

lol

Please let me in on the inner workings of your thought process. Personally from the outside, i'm amazed.

I know you're lurking.

Elite Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by TrUe GaMeR View Post
    That's the type of stuff you read. lolz. things make a lot more sense now.

I was waiting for the mirrored version of this thread in the PS4 section with Sony at the headline since I've shown you they do the same thing. Just in a more backroom wall street deal type of way. So they look clean.

Kudos to them.

But my inquiring mind wants to know is it still just a sad day in gaming history just because of MS or are they both included in this grave, grave, oh so grave bleak, dreary, dreadful, ominous, unsettling day that is video game advertising.

lol

Please let me in on the inner workings of your thought process. Personally from the outside, i'm amazed.

I know you're lurking.
    Its just a huge double standard IMO. Both sony and MS pay people to promote their products. When Sony was paying Jerry Lambert to promote their brand a lot of people thought it was great.

Veteran

PSN ID
    Cybertox
    3$ per 1000 views isnt really much or even worth the mention unless you have millions of views on your videos.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Sony does this covertly. I know cause a Youtuber I follow talked about it in one of his videos some time ago, saying him and some others were approached about making videos for Planet Side 2. MS is just being overt about it. In any case, I don't see it as any issue, all the promotion in the world won't change the tech, games or philosophy of the console.

32. Likes mistercrow likes this post

Thread Information