Valar Morghulis
    PSN ID
    SerinousTSE

[Rumor?] PS4 Exclusive Souls Series Spin-off Teased by Insider

http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/01/...ed-by-insider/

Demons Souls has been blessed with a level of popularity that not many expected when it first was released, and a quite trustworthy industry insider well known on NeoGaf as DemonNite mentioned something that seems to tease the coming of a new game of the series.

At that DemonNite dropped a hint that could easily be interpreted as teasing something very interesting:

If by souls you mean another PS4 exclusive Souls spinoff then maybe ? ; )
    Anybody here heard of DemonNite from GAF? This may be just super speculations or taking someone's words out of context. But it will be awesome it turns out to be true though?

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Oh, this would be awesome to say the least, if this is true.

Valar Morghulis
    PSN ID
    SerinousTSE
    Imagine it exclusively on the PS4, tapping its power and potential and stuff... Should be awesome.

Sonata Dusk
    That would probably convince me to buy a PS4. Assuming it's true, I hope it also comes to PC.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    That would probably convince me to buy a PS4. Assuming it's true, I hope it also comes to PC.
    Nope, sony owns the IP for Demon's Souls (and that's what we are getting most likely)

Anyway, I'm 30hrs into Dark Souls (first time) and I have DSII preordered. Deep Down and Demon's SoulsII are some of my most anticipated games for this gen. Though I never played the original Demon's Souls
    Last edited by Itachi; 01-24-2014 at 21:14.
    I wonder when a nuclear warhead goes off, does the frame rate of real life drop?

Master Poster
    PSN ID
    Swordsman-45
    I don't like this game cuz it forces me to use lots of walktroughs.
    #lovegaming

MyAnimeList

Stop preordering games! Stop buying day1 games! Stop being idiots!

Sonata Dusk
    Quote Originally Posted by Itachi View Post
    Nope, sony owns the IP for Demon's Souls (and that's what we are getting most likely)
    Nothing in the article said it was Demons Souls. In fact the tease said, "Souls spinoff." Dark Souls is on PC, and for Dark Souls 2 it's the main platform. I'll remain hopeful.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Nothing in the article said it was Demons Souls. In fact the tease said, "Souls spinoff." Dark Souls is on PC, and for Dark Souls 2 it's the main platform. I'll remain hopeful.
    My point is if sony already owns the ip for demon souls why would ps4 get ANOTHER different souls spinoff? Furthermore FROM soft will release DKSII in march so no way its related to Dark Souls. Miyazaki isn't directing DKSII (only supervising) and presumably working with Sony japan studio on DeS sequel. There was even an interview with a sony exec who said he loved DeS and would love for the series to continue

If it IS demon's Souls (which the odds are heavily in favour of) it will be ps exclusive
    I wonder when a nuclear warhead goes off, does the frame rate of real life drop?

Sonata Dusk
    Quote Originally Posted by Itachi View Post
    My point is if sony already owns the ip for demon souls why would ps4 get ANOTHER different souls spinoff?
    The real question is why wouldn't they. It's the privilege for them to create the game they want without being on a leash. It's the exact reason why they abandoned the Demons Souls IP and made Dark Souls, which is now on the PS3, 360, and PC. Why would they constrain themselves in that way after working hard to gain all that ground? Really, for as much as we know this could just be Dark souls 2 on PS4. It's conjecture.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    The real question is why wouldn't they. It's the privilege for them to create the game they want without being on a leash. It's the exact reason why they abandoned the Demons Souls IP and made Dark Souls, which is now on the PS3, 360, and PC. Why would they constrain themselves in that way after working hard to gain all that ground? Really, for as much as we know this could just be Dark souls 2 on PS4. It's conjecture.
    but the quote from the gaf member says ps4 exclusive so.....what do we take away from that?

I wish Dark Souls II comes to ps4 with 1080p60 but that will not be exclusive.

Sonata Dusk
    It says that just as much as it says it's 'another Demons Souls spinoff', which is my point. You're cherry picking here. The fact is that we don't know what this is going to be. It could be Dark Souls 2, it could be Demons Souls 2, or it could be something else that's similar to the previous games but takes it in a new direction. Either option can be justified with the bare scrap of evidence we have and some speculation.

Forum Sage
    No, it will be nothing related to Dark Souls. So no PC game. That would only be likely if it was SOE making the game and not Sony's Playstation studios.

This is a continuation of rumors that started last year, of a Demon's Souls 2 emerging. A Swedish retail website put up a placeholder
    for a Demon's Souls 2 as a PS4 exclusive, and this was not a mistake on their part as they had a place for Dark Souls 2 for PS3/360. This same site was shown to be accurate before as IIRC they leaked Gran Turismo 6's existence.

If the mystery game's placeholder name was still Demon's Souls as of last year, which is a Sony owned IP, then we know for a fact that even if this game won't actually be called Demon's Souls (or Souls anything for that matter, hence the claim of a 'spin-off' here) that it will be Sony published and developed. As for lost ground, only From Software would be losing ground, if they are even helping develop it at all. But they have no say over the Demon's Souls IP, so that IP will have lost no ground whatsoever, as it was always exclusive.

Furthermore the only constraint of being an exclusive is possible monetary return. As far as technological constraints there is nothing but benefits to keeping something exclusive to one platform.
    Last edited by RedOrb_Collector; 01-25-2014 at 04:21.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    The souls community is quite hardcore so I think this game can get sony to sell quite a few ps4s

Thread Information