Superior Member

PSN ID
    martin_blank

Play Dark Souls before Dark Souls 2?

Wondering if it's really required. I'm way backed up on games as it is and Dark Souls is a long game even for super serious gamers who play a lot every day. I did not play Demon's Souls, either. I figure there's a prominent online integration component which will have waned for Dark Souls, but will be fresh at launch and some time after for DS2, and Demon's Souls is a particular kind of game that sets you to pulling out your hair, Dark Souls, more hair out, I may as well just shave my head and go after Dark Souls 2 without worrying about the predecessors. Not that they're not worthy games, but my gaming time being what it is, it would probably take me many months to get through Dark Souls and I don't have that kind of time, not before DS2 comes out.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Bluehazeburnout
    To the best of my knowledge - it will probably help to play dark souls but DS2 is a differet game and will be fine to play without playing the first.

You might miss some reference's but thats about it.

I may be wrong but what i have seen so far leads me to believe it should be fine to get ds2 first

Superior Member

PSN ID
    martin_blank
    That's what I figured. I don't like time is an issue but unfortunately it is, and I'm seeing Dark Souls credibly 60 hours of gameplay without doing extras, so since is a different game but direct sequel, playing off the success of the first Dark Souls game, perhaps foreshortened main campaign, maybe 40 hours. But to play both that's 100 hours. Fifty hours I really don't have but if I take time with it and just decide I'm going to enjoy it over months, I can play it all the way through. 100 hours on one franchise is just too big a hill to face this year. I'm supposed to get some work done sometime.

Anyway, thanks. I'll just hold off for DS2. Looking forward to it. And I'm afraid of it. Both.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    newf_52
    If you're going to have your PS3 online when you play Dark Souls 2 I would suggest devoting some time to Dark Souls just to get used to the combat and various other systems involved. Experienced players can make your life very difficult very quickly.
    My YOUTUBE channel
    Twitter= @RyanTheNewf
    My Soundcloud stream!

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Bluehazeburnout
    Also have no distractions.

There is no pause button and you will die if you take your attention of even for a split second.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Swordsman-45
    Items User name styleOne Piece
    Lol, play Dark Souls before anything else. If you only wish to know what story is so far, then you can jump to DS2, because there is not much of a story as far as I know.
    (_)
    ( _)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)

MyAnimeList
    Currently playing GOW:A
    Next : Last of Us, One Piece : Pirate Warriors 2

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    newf_52
    I just finished Dark Souls... I am so happy. Probably the most satisfying experience I've ever had with a videogame... took me 104 hours, I honestly don't think I've ever played one game that long, I usually lose interest at the 40 hour mark.
    My YOUTUBE channel
    Twitter= @RyanTheNewf
    My Soundcloud stream!

PSU Editor
    PSN ID
    bizarro_thirteen
    I would suggest it if only to familiarize yourself with the brutality of it. Prepare to die.

Thread Information