Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

[Playstation 4] Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition

Release date: January 24, 2014 (US)
    Price: $59.99

I have already done a full review of this game for the Playstation 3, so I will not go in to a full on game review here. Below is a link to my PS3 review.
    Tomb Raider review for the Playstation 3.

Instead, I will be focusing on what has been added to the Playstation 4 version, and if this is worth paying full price for.

Graphics
    Crystal Dynamics and Square Enix did a fantastic job upgrading the graphics. Lara has gone through a complete transformation since last year. Her face, body, hair, and movements, have all been completely remastered for the Definitive Edition. The image below shows how Lara has changed since her latest PS3 debut.

Lara is not the only thing that has had some work done. The entire Tomb Raider universe looks better.
    The Playstation 4 is running in 1080p at 60fps, and it shows! Gone is the screen tearing suffered in the PS3 version. Better rain effects, better explosions, better lighting, shadows, etc.

Voice commands
    Newly added to the game are voice commands. While playing, you can simply say "bow", or "pistol", and Lara will switch to that weapon. You can also bring up the map by saying "show map". These commands work very well, and I was able to get everything work by speaking normally without needing to raise my voice. I was playing about 6ft from the PS4 camera however.

Overall
    It is nice that the Definitive Edition comes with the DLC, even if it is just a single bonus tomb and some multiplayer crap.
    I was blown away by the PS3 version, and the PS4 is no exception. The improvements that have been added have really made this experience nearly flawless for me. The quick time events are still present, and I am not a huge fan of those. If this is your first time playing Tomb Raider, then you are in for a real treat! I also think this game is well worth the full price. You can really see the hard work that went in to making this the Definitive Edition. And I just feel the game was made so well that playing it through again feels just as good as the first time I played it.

Screenshots taken directly from the game via Playstation 4.

Last edited by Lethal; 02-04-2014 at 17:08.

Thread Information