Page 1 of 3 1 ... LastLast
    Friendship is Carrots
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Programmers' Corner

I've recently been getting into programming. I spent the last month teaching myself Javascript. Now I'm leaning Python (for my introduction to programming class). Later I want to mess with Java so I can mod Minecraft. <3

Anyway, I figured a thread for coders would be fun, presuming there's any others here. We can discuss and help each other on any projects or languages, or maybe do challenges if we have enough people. Personally, I could use help with python if anyone's willing.
    Last edited by Nerevar; 01-26-2014 at 10:02.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]
    - [PSN] - [Programmers' Corner]

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    What a coincidence! I'm trying to learn Java. I started about a week ago.

I mainly want to learn Java because it's very similar to APEX, which is the coding language of Salesforce. Most of my job involves administrating Salesforce for our company, and learning the coding language behind it will really help me do some cool things. Salesforce developers recommend learning Java first.

I'm using a tightly edited 4-hour video to teach me the basics. You can watch the first hour for free:

Anyway, I just started messing around with some actual coding earlier today. I'm using Eclipse and making some simple programs. I actually took three programming classes in college, including a Java class, but I didn't retain anything. lol

I definitely heard that Python is the best language for beginners though, so it sounds like you're on the right path. I would do the same if APEX wasn't 95% like Java. Besides, at least Java is better for beginners than C++ apparently.

Dedicated Member
    Java is 'better' for beginners than C++ because you have
    A: Standardized non proprietary GUI libraries to learn on.
    B: Automatic Garbage Collection, for better or worse. You can mess with the JVM GC a little bit by setting variables, particularly large objects, to null after your SURE they don't need reuse. I once had an object that was just TOOOOO big and needed it to go away, the JVM wasn't necessarily ontop of it, so, I set it to null after it was outside of scope (sadly, nested big loops were just necessary for this operation, it was a brute force Game Of Life program for a class, nothing as elegant as Hashlife, but not so bad, using an array of BitSet objects for the rows (the array was the row, each element of the array the column, each element of the screen delineated from it's on screen position into an array position, each position written into a Position type queue which was then exported to array and analysed. Not a math nut's version but quite fast and better than the rest of what was going on in class). null does work alot, i'd already noticed before.
    Don't get stuck in a rut
    . work with interfaces and threads and processes. It never dawns on you what you can really do till you learn the big picture parts of the language.
    Sleeping very soundly on a Saturday morning I was dreaming
    I was Al Capone
    There's a rumour going round, gotta clear outta town
    I'm smelling like a dry fish bone
    Here come the Law, gonna break down the door, gonna carry me
    away once more
    Never, never, never get it any more
    Gotta get away from this stone cold floor
    Crazy
    Stone cold crazy, you know

Friendship is Carrots
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    Anyway, I just started messing around with some actual coding earlier today.
    What have you made? I literally started messing with python a few hours ago. I have a few basic scripts set up:

1) A 'tax-adder'. You put in the base cost of the item, it asks for the tax rate, and it spits out the total amount due.
    2) Temperature conversion between Fahrenheit and Celsius. The user can choose which they're converting to, then put in the temperature, and it will tell the other half.
    3) A cipher. You put in a word and it encrypts it. Surprisingly useful; I may start using it for my site passwords.

All of these are usually recommended for beginners, but I'm really happy with the progress so far. I thought about making a short text adventure game for fun next.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]
    - [PSN] - [Programmers' Corner]

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Swordsman-45
    Items User name styleOne Piece
    I am a software engineer, coding with Java for 5 years. If you have any questions, I may give some help. Stackoverflow is my favorite place tho
    (_)
    ( _)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)

MyAnimeList
    Currently playing GOW:A
    Next : Last of Us, One Piece : Pirate Warriors 2

6. Likes Christopher likes this post
    Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    Abdou023
    Quote Originally Posted by Shingo View Post
    I am a software engineer, coding with Java for 5 years. If you have any questions, I may give some help. Stackoverflow is my favorite place tho
    With very basic Java knowledge ( from some youtube tutorials ) what is the best way to learn Android developing ?!

PSN: Abdou023
    Currently Playing: GTA 5

Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Fellow SE man! I haven't done much Java since grad school. I've been programming C# professionally for almost 12 years. Here, obviously, I'm programming PHP.

Yeah, Stackoverflow is awesome. Glad to see this thread though.

Quote Originally Posted by Abdou23 View Post
    With very basic Java knowledge ( from some youtube tutorials ) what is the best way to learn Android developing ?!
    Yep....Java.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    C#, PHP, Java, Obj. C, Lua, C.

I've been involved in a lot of things since the release of the PSP.

Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    C#, PHP, Java, Obj. C, Lua, C.

I've been involved in a lot of things since the release of the PSP.
    I've programmed with all those except Lua. I remember you talking about your Lua apps on the PSP forums. You still writing stuff?
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    I've programmed with all those except Lua. I remember you talking about your Lua apps on the PSP forums. You still writing stuff?
    I think my hardcore programming days are over. I would love to continue where I left off two years ago, but I don't think that will ever be possible in the same scope as it used to be.
    I can handle basic things still, and have done a few things I'd rather not admit to here.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    I am pretty good with HTML $#@!es! Also got into a bit of CSS.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Swordsman-45
    Fellow SE man! I haven't done much Java since grad school. I've been programming C# professionally for almost 12 years. Here, obviously, I'm programming PHP.

Yeah, Stackoverflow is awesome. Glad to see this thread though.

Yep....Java.
    Glad to see some colleague here! I do get every kind of language back in the uni days , yet I only use lots of Java and a little bit C# now , because of my companies policies.

@Abdou23
    If you wish to build simple apps, Java is enough, I am currently building some now, don't know a thing about game apps.
    (_)
    ( _)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)

MyAnimeList

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    Abdou023

Yep....Java.
    Any good online tutorials ?! I know there are hundreds but the problem is those people aren't very good at caring for their learners, when i get stuck i ask the question and most likely i will not be getting an answer, or to be specific a solution.

PSN: Abdou023
    Currently Playing: GTA 5

Quote Originally Posted by Abdou23 View Post
    Any good online tutorials ?! I know there are hundreds but the problem is those people aren't very good at caring for their learners, when i get stuck i ask the question and most likely i will not be getting an answer, or to be specific a solution.
    Tutorials are not good places to go to try and solve problems. They just get you started. When I have a problem that isn't just a basic syntax issue or something simple like that, I just google the problem as descriptive as I can. That may seem obvious, but I have found that 9 times out of 10, whatever issue I have had someone else has had it as well. Remember, errors are your friend. Sometimes I just copy and paste the error into google and find a solution.

Stackoverflow.com was mentioned. Excellent resource. I would create an account there. If your problem has already been posted then post it yourself.

But post it here as well. Maybe we can help you figure it out.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    What have you made? I literally started messing with python a few hours ago. I have a few basic scripts set up:

1) A 'tax-adder'. You put in the base cost of the item, it asks for the tax rate, and it spits out the total amount due.
    2) Temperature conversion between Fahrenheit and Celsius. The user can choose which they're converting to, then put in the temperature, and it will tell the other half.
    3) A cipher. You put in a word and it encrypts it. Surprisingly useful; I may start using it for my site passwords.

All of these are usually recommended for beginners, but I'm really happy with the progress so far. I thought about making a short text adventure game for fun next.
    I'm just going through the beginner exercises I found here. Just a random set of exercises I found.

I'm on question #7 of exercise 1.2. I don't know why I'm getting a negative sum and average. Any idea guys?

Attached Images

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Swordsman-45
    What I see from here is probably this ; http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...0191527AALyB2G
    Try long instead.
    (_)
    ( _)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)

MyAnimeList

18. Likes Ixion likes this post
    Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    What I see from here is probably this ; http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...0191527AALyB2G
    Try long instead.
    Thanks! That did the trick.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    I am pretty good with HTML $#@!es! Also got into a bit of CSS.
    I got into quite a bit of LSD when I was younger. lol

Master Poster
    I have a bachelors and masters degree in computer science and am a software developer. I started off learning with C++ then took a java class. Now I program using java and some other languages almost every day at work.
    PS4|PS3|PS2|PS1|PSVITA|XBOX 360|XBOX|N64|3DS XL|DSi|Gameboy Advance|Gameboy Color|PC

Quote Originally Posted by ex nihilo7 View Post
    I have a bachelors and masters degree in computer science and am a software developer. I started off learning with C++ then took a java class. Now I program using java and some other languages almost every day at work.
    Cool. My Masters is in CS....bachelors in English Lit. Yeah.....I had to take a ton of bridge classes to get into the Masters program as you can imagine.

Master Poster
    Cool. My Masters is in CS....bachelors in English Lit. Yeah.....I had to take a ton of bridge classes to get into the Masters program as you can imagine.
    Yeah way different programs haha. My masters pretty much felt like a continuation from my undergrad.
    PS4|PS3|PS2|PS1|PSVITA|XBOX 360|XBOX|N64|3DS XL|DSi|Gameboy Advance|Gameboy Color|PC

Quote Originally Posted by ex nihilo7 View Post
    Yeah way different programs haha. My masters pretty much felt like a continuation from my undergrad.
    I had worked in the industry for almost 10 years prior to going to grad school so it wasn't entirely foreign. Once I got over discrete math and algorithm analysis, I was good.

Where did you go to school? I went to Auburn for undergrad. DePaul for grad.

YouTube Editor
    Items Tommy VercettiUser name styleModern Warfare 3
    HTML, VB, JavaScript, and CSS are my mains. I have built a few pages in my day.

8 years and counting!

Master Poster
    I had worked in the industry for almost 10 years prior to going to grad school so it wasn't entirely foreign. Once I got over discrete math and algorithm analysis, I was good.

Where did you go to school? I went to Auburn for undergrad. DePaul for grad.
    I went to Michigan for both degrees. I am glad I'm done with school.

PSU Technical Advisor
    I hate Java lol.

I know PHP, Coldfusion, Javascript, HTML(5), CSS(3) some CMS specific stuff..
    Last edited by Vulgotha; 01-31-2014 at 02:25.

Thread Information