Latest PSU headlines:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast
    Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Quote Originally Posted by ex nihilo7 View Post
    I went to Michigan for both degrees. I am glad I'm done with school.
    As am I brother!
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I no has a degree.

Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    I no has a degree.
    I work with a number of professional programmers who don't either. Some of them are better programmers than me. Biggest difference? My student loan. sigh
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.

4. Likes Vulgotha likes this post
    Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    I know C++ and Java mostly due to school.

What's funny is as I'm typing this, I'm procrastinating on a assignment of programming a microcontroller board because I have no idea how this proprietary software works. Only had one class before and my group mates aren't much help either

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    I work with a number of professional programmers who don't either. Some of them are better programmers than me. Biggest difference? My student loan. sigh
    That's encouraging.

I did some work that I won't admit I did, nor will my name be tagged along with it.

PSU Technical Advisor
    Right in the feels.

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdou23 View Post
    With very basic Java knowledge ( from some youtube tutorials ) what is the best way to learn Android developing ?!
    You need to work on some good Java first.
    Then, head to developer.android.com

Most important on Android and Java GUIs is to SEE IT FIRST.
    Design in your mind, then sketch it, then ofcourse turn your design some into some sort of data flow diagram or like tool to make sure it does what
    Sleeping very soundly on a Saturday morning I was dreaming
    I was Al Capone
    There's a rumour going round, gotta clear outta town
    I'm smelling like a dry fish bone
    Here come the Law, gonna break down the door, gonna carry me
    away once more
    Never, never, never get it any more
    Gotta get away from this stone cold floor
    Crazy
    Stone cold crazy, you know

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdou23 View Post
    With very basic Java knowledge ( from some youtube tutorials ) what is the best way to learn Android developing ?!
    You need to work on some good Java first.
    Then, head to developer.android.com

Most important on Android and Java GUIs is to SEE IT FIRST.
    Design in your mind, then sketch it, then ofcourse turn your design some into some sort of data flow diagram or like tool to make sure it does what you want and that ofcourse helps to design the program.
    Yeah, alot of people say sit and hack, but, it leads to some lots of recoding and missed intended features when your not careful.
    Sleeping very soundly on a Saturday morning I was dreaming
    I was Al Capone
    There's a rumour going round, gotta clear outta town
    I'm smelling like a dry fish bone
    Here come the Law, gonna break down the door, gonna carry me
    away once more
    Never, never, never get it any more
    Gotta get away from this stone cold floor
    Crazy
    Stone cold crazy, you know

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    kipkebab92
    Have never been coding before, but am interested in looking into HTML & php, if I can get on my way with it, I might start looking into making an iphone app
    But that's quite far ahead.. Let's just say, interested in, hoping to get a step further, meaning 'actually getting it'

Quote Originally Posted by WaxWeazle View Post
    Have never been coding before, but am interested in looking into HTML & php, if I can get on my way with it, I might start looking into making an iphone app
    But that's quite far ahead.. Let's just say, interested in, hoping to get a step further, meaning 'actually getting it'
    I like PHP although I'm used to strongly typed languages. The nice thing though is that you can run PHP just about everywhere. I edit PSU.com code on my mac using PHPStorm (awesome IDE), which isn't free, but there are ton of free editors out there.

iPhone dev is a totally different animal. Objective C syntax is different than other C languages and you do have some memory management to contend with. iPhone SDK is a very rich library though.

Lots of good jobs out there for both PHP and iPhone. PHP is mostly used in web apps though so if you want to do web development that isn't a bad choice at all. I think most entry level programmers will find more opportunities in web development than device or SO dev these days.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    I agree with Chris 100%. Even with my limitations, I can still hold my own with PHP.

I can still do enough to get by with some simple things in other environments... iOS for example. Just takes longer for me to do it now. What would take a few hours, takes me a couple days. Let's say... a simple game. With all the assets already available, the coding took 4 hours, that's from start to a finished game. A simple one. Now, it took me a little over two days to get the same thing running properly.

Dedicated Member
    Java, C#, JavaScript, PHP, C a few more but I'm to lazy to write them down

My favourite is C#, using visual studio is a blast

Skickat från min GT-I9305N via Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MGSfan View Post
    Java, C#, JavaScript, PHP, C a few more but I'm to lazy to write them down

My favourite is C#, using visual studio is a blast

Yep. Visual Studio is awesome. PHPStorm is pretty great as well.

Didn't know we had so many coders!

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Swordsman-45
    Items User name styleOne Piece
    Quote Originally Posted by WaxWeazle View Post
    If you are only aiming for Iphone Apps , then skip all the rest and jump direct to xcode, because Objective C is unique, and nothing like others. Learning php or html won't help you much about that. ( at least as far as I know those ).

I personally would prefer learning objective c before anything else, It was the most stable and simple , because like no others, It only exists to develop on Ios.
    (•_•)
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)

MyAnimeList
    Currently playing GOW:A
    Next : Last of Us, One Piece : Pirate Warriors 2

Friendship is Carrots
    I'm working on a basic text adventure game in Python.

It's a $#@! to do, as my code runs linearly. I don't know how to do any parallel processes. I do have the code written that determines the outcome of battles, along with the introduction (where you choose your name, class name, and stats), but I'm not sure how to pull everything together to make it work.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]
    - [PSN] - [Programmers' Corner]

I wouldn't think parallel processing would be necessary. I think you probably just need to organize your code into classes. If you find you are creating a lot of If/Then conditionals then it is probably to linear and thus, more complex.

So, for example, if you have a character do you have a character class?

Can you give an idea of how your battle code works?

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    I'm working on a basic text adventure game in Python.

It's a $#@! to do, as my code runs linearly. I don't know how to do any parallel processes. I do have the code written that determines the outcome of battles, along with the introduction (where you choose your name, class name, and stats), but I'm not sure how to pull everything together to make it work.
    As Christopher said you'd be wise to start thinking object oriented. .it'll make your code more maintainable, dynamic and less of a pain to look at.

Friendship is Carrots
    I wouldn't think parallel processing would be necessary. I think you probably just need to organize your code into classes. If you find you are creating a lot of If/Then conditionals then it is probably to linear and thus, more complex.

So, for example, if you have a character do you have a character class?

Can you give an idea of how your battle code works?
    Well, it doesn't really matter how the battle code itself works. The issue is having specific sects of code be used when necessary. I need the player to be able to return places, have varied options available, make choices, etc. It's a hassle if the code is running linearly, and reusing while True: and if/elif functions over and over is becoming a pain.

I've read a little about modules, which I think is the Python equivalent of these classes you speak of. They would help, but I need to go learn them first.

If you're still wondering, the game would work like:

Stuff like that. Then the battle code would go:
    (It's a work in progress, so it's messy)

The determination of basic evasion is so:

That's only a part of a single battle sequence. There's planned modifiers (potions, armor, etc) plus the attacks themselves (I'm thinking Attacker Strength - Defender's Defense = damage dealt). Then I have to code the response attack done by the enemy AI. Whoever can attack first is determined by the speed stat of the player and enemy.

The game is planned to have many fights, most being random and others placed. As you can see, this would create some very bulky code. And again, there's the issue of making this all work in a linear script.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]
    - [PSN] - [Programmers' Corner]

Power Member
    Items User name style
    I know a lot of languages, most of them obsolete LOL.

The relevant one is C++

API's

DirectX 8,9,11
    FMOD

Tools:
    Visual Studio (6, 2005, 2010)
    Maya 7
    Polytrans

Obsolete:
    Logo, Z80-A Assembler, Locomotive Basic, Pascal.
    I am no longer participating in these forums, I wish all of you on the PSU Forums the best for the future.

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    I know a lot of languages, most of them obsolete LOL.

The relevant one is C++

API's

DirectX 8,9,11
    FMOD

Tools:
    Visual Studio (6, 2005, 2010)
    Maya 7
    Polytrans

Obsolete:
    Logo, Z80-A Assembler, Locomotive Basic, Pascal.
    You wouldn't happen to know some C ? Need some help with a few assignments hehe?

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Well, it doesn't really matter how the battle code itself works. The issue is having specific sects of code be used when necessary. I need the player to be able to return places, have varied options available, make choices, etc. It's a hassle if the code is running linearly, and reusing while True: and if/elif functions over and over is becoming a pain.

I've read a little about modules, which I think is the Python equivalent of these classes you speak of. They would help, but I need to go learn them first.

That's only a part of a single battle sequence. There's planned modifiers (potions, armor, etc) plus the attacks themselves (I'm thinking Attacker Strength - Defender's Defense = damage dealt). Then I have to code the response attack done by the enemy AI. Whoever can attack first is determined by the speed stat of the player and enemy.

The game is planned to have many fights, most being random and others placed. As you can see, this would create some very bulky code. And again, there's the issue of making this all work in a linear script.
    Ahhh text adventures, cut my teeth year sand years ago...

If you can understand a little basic, you should be able to rip through the structure of this book.

Anyway, just like any game programing your going to need a structure which you can navigate.
    If you stop thinking of things in terms of linear progression you'll get there.

When I first wrote my first text adventure I was very naive and simply had line after line of codes and if, then goto commands.

Trust me you will go bonkers doing it this way and it will get very messy very quickly.

Firstly, think of you location in the world as simply a memory address.
    All the information about this world should be at this place, should be at that memory location.
    Learn a way to encapsulate what you want to do or say, in the most efficient way at that memory address, if you find you self repeating the same data a lot, reference that data vs repeating it over and over again.

When you let the character move left or right or forward then they move to another address.
    Start thinking of each as exactly the same data.

E..g. Lets say you start in a wooded forest, you can go north south and east but not west. At this location you can see a bag of gold and a tree stump with an axe in it.

Ok, so what do you need you need to be able to write this as all data at that location.
    There are lots and lots of ways to do this, C and C++ can uses structs, or class's, I'm sure python/java have something similar.

Looking at pseudo code I'd do it something like this

Struct LOCATION
    {
    pointer Exits [6]
    Text Description
    pointer Items[6]
    }

This is fairly basic, but I've given you up to six exits (N,S,E,W, UP , DOWN), and up to six items you can place, as well some text to describe you location, and up to 6 items that can be at this place.

Things to note, the pointer Exits is a reference to the next location, if you don't want them to go that way then put 0, and handle it in your code.

Eg you code might look like this

Loop for game world:

Print Location[place]description (this is you text you typed into this location, eg. "You are in a Forrest")
    Print "You can go "
    if Location[place].Exits[0]<>0 ", North"
    if Location[place].Exits[1]<>0 ", South"
    if Location[place].Exits[2]<>0 ", East"
    if Location[place].Exits[3]<>0 ", West"
    if Location[place].Exits[4]<>0 ", Up"
    if Location[place].Exits[5]<>0 ", Down"

Please note I'd normally just loop that last info in a for next loop but I'm trying to show it for teaching purposes.
    This is automatic, its quite beautiful in it's simplicity because all you do is change the variable "place" and you have a new location with automatic printing of where you are and what exits are available.

If a player types in West or East etc, you can check against it being 0, if its 0 you can say "your not allowed that way", if its not, then you update the "place" variable with the data in you exit.

eg. Your at place 5, You exits might be north and south only. So you exits data will look like

Location[5].Exits[0]=6 -traveling north will go to location 6
    Location[5].Exits[1]=4 -traveling south will go to location 4
    Location[5].Exits[3]=0 - The rest are all zeros you can go that way.
    Location[5].Exits[4]=0
    Location[5].Exits[5]=0

The other thing to note was that I didn't use a text for the items at the location, because they are items. You may want to modify or take them, Instead I used a reference or pointer to another location that would hold that specific item data

EG. Item data might be:

Item
    {
    Text "Description"
    Int Damage
    Int Power
    Int Weight
    }
    etc.

So in our example we had an axe and some gold at the location.
    We a referencing them by saying at locaiton one is item[1] and item [2]

So our data will be added to our main game loop as:

Print "you can see "
    If Location[place].Item[0]<>0 Print Location[place].Item[0]
    etc (up to 6 as that's how may I gave you).

That way it will now say "You can see, an axe, a bag of gold> etc.

Now the beauty is if you have a get command, you can say...get bag of gold.
    And then you would make that item=0 in your location (meaning it wouldn't say its at the location anymore.
    But also you can add it to you inventory like this).

First you'd make some way of being able to translate what they asked into the item:

eg.

If input (first 3 characters"="Get"), then:
    {
    If (next word)=Location[place].Item[0]description then
    {

Player.Inventory=no of items+1 //add 1 to the no. of items your carrying
    Player.Inventory[no of items]=Location[place].Item[0] //transfer
    Location[place].Item[0]description=0 //remove the item at the location.
    }

And bang, you axe is now in your inventory.

Now a few things to note about all of this, in many ways choosing the options thing you're doing eg press 1,2,3 etc will mean you are not going to worry about handling text.
    So what you need to to is decide exactly what options you provide.
    Try and think of all of them:

N,E,W,S,Up, Down, Get, Give, etc etc and again wirte the code so that potentially all of those are possible. Then modify you "location data" to suit with options to opt out of said option.

eg No items are here, don't give them the "get" option.

Start thinking like that and it will all fall into place, battles are simply an extension of this, you can treat enemies in much the same way as you do items.

Everything is simply a memory location with data referencing what you what to be represented, get that in a decent structure, and then you can modify, toy with make up any world you want, as long as you start by making sure your structure accounts for all your possibilities.
    Last edited by mynd; 02-06-2014 at 22:13.
    I am no longer participating in these forums, I wish all of you on the PSU Forums the best for the future.

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by MGSfan View Post
    You wouldn't happen to know some C ? Need some help with a few assignments hehe?

you cant learn c++ without c, but I couldn't tell you what options aren't available in C.
    Most of its is similar, structs etc .

Yeah, I would seriously look into an object-oriented approach. Python does have classes and I don't think they are the same as modules. From what I read, modules are libraries of code that can be imported. Your "time" reference is a module. Classes are ways to encapsulate attributes and behaviors in a class that are easily reused. So if I had a Player class, for example, then I could have all the attributes (strength, defense, speed, etc.) of that Player within the class. Your Player class could have built in functions like "Attack". So say I also had an Enemy class with its own attributes. So if I spin up my objects using these classes like this...

warrior = Player()
    skeleton = Enemy()

...I can now program inside the objects and give them behaviors. So now my code starts to read like a sentence, for example.....

warrior.Attack(skeleton)

Not sure if this syntax works entirely for Python, but that is the basic idea. Of course, you would initialize your Player object during startup of your program and you would have to set all your attributes, etc. And the above is just one way to do it. There may be better ways to handle "attacking" and whatever in separate classes. It all kinda depends.

You could then have other classes that interact with these to handle the map and moving between areas and stuff like that. It can be complicated at first, but once you wrap your head around it, it just makes sense.

Hope this helps.

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Personally I think class's is probably going a bit to far, but structured arrays is ideal.
    Arrays arrays arrays....

That's just a fancy way of saying treat all these memory location in a specific way BTW.

Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    Personally I think class's is probably going a bit to far, but structured arrays is ideal.
    Arrays arrays arrays....

That's just a fancy way of saying treat all these memory location in a specific way BTW.
    I'd rather not have to keep up with indexing.

Player.strength

rather than....

Player[5]

edit: or I guess you would use a constant, wouldn't you?

const strength=5
    player[strength]

If a program has any sort of complexity, I'm going to use classes every time. Personal preferences vary, of course.

Thread Information