Latest PSU headlines:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 3
Results 51 to 70 of 70
  1. #51
    Power Member
    mynd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Age
    41
    Posts
    16,711
    Rep Power
    154
    Points
    100,210 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    I'd rather not have to keep up with indexing.

    Player.strength

    rather than....

    Player[5]

    edit: or I guess you would use a constant, wouldn't you?

    const strength=5
    player[strength]

    If a program has any sort of complexity, I'm going to use classes every time. Personal preferences vary, of course.
    Well struct gives you that ability without out classes.
    Technically a class is simply a super struct with the ability to not only call data, but also code.

    There is no difference referencing

    Player.strength in a struct to a class.

    The difference comes when you want to run a subroutine
    eg

    Player.minushealth()

    isn't possible in a struct.


    Although stuct form my understanding it not available in Python, which just plain sucks.
    2play:Red Dead, GTA 4,Batman AC,Batman AO,Borderlands 2,Skyrim,Sleeping Dogs,Reckoning,Dead Island, DarkSiders 2,Dark Souls,Dead Space 2,MGS 3,MGS:PW, XCOM:EU,Hitman Absolution,Biosuck Infinite,Assassins Creed 3,Deus Ex,Castlevania, Halo Wars,Civilization,Forza Horizon,Black Ops,Black Ops 2,MW3,LA Noire,Crackdown,Dead Rising 2,Fallout 3, Fallout:NV,RE 4, Bully, Hitman HD collecton.

  2. #52
    PSU Technical Manager
    Christopher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Warner Robins, GA
    Age
    43
    Posts
    7,105
    Rep Power
    102
    Points
    36,402 (1,010 Banked)
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    Well struct gives you that ability without out classes.
    Technically a class is simply a super struct with the ability to not only call data, but also code.

    There is no difference referencing

    Player.strength in a struct to a class.

    The difference comes when you want to run a subroutine
    eg

    Player.minushealth()

    isn't possible in a struct.


    Although stuct form my understanding it not available in Python, which just plain sucks.
    Why does that suck? You can accomplish the same thing as struct with a class, as you pointed out. Use static fields and it is a class on the stack. Structs are hold-overs from C. Not really necessary in newer languages.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

    Server Error Status Thread







  3. #53
    Power Member
    mynd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Age
    41
    Posts
    16,711
    Rep Power
    154
    Points
    100,210 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    Why does that suck? You can accomplish the same thing as struct with a class, as you pointed out. Use static fields and it is a class on the stack. Structs are hold-overs from C. Not really necessary in newer languages.
    Depends, there are lot so good reasons to use structs, especially as they are inline.
    Hell I uses stucts inside class's at times, I'd go so far to say my 3d engine wouldn't run without them.
    Plus soon as your data is in a class, its private. Which can mean an unnecessary interface just to get some data out.



    Its lightweight, and can be used relatively easily inside a class.
    Last edited by mynd; 02-06-2014 at 23:21.
    2play:Red Dead, GTA 4,Batman AC,Batman AO,Borderlands 2,Skyrim,Sleeping Dogs,Reckoning,Dead Island, DarkSiders 2,Dark Souls,Dead Space 2,MGS 3,MGS:PW, XCOM:EU,Hitman Absolution,Biosuck Infinite,Assassins Creed 3,Deus Ex,Castlevania, Halo Wars,Civilization,Forza Horizon,Black Ops,Black Ops 2,MW3,LA Noire,Crackdown,Dead Rising 2,Fallout 3, Fallout:NV,RE 4, Bully, Hitman HD collecton.

  4. #54
    PSU Technical Manager
    Christopher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Warner Robins, GA
    Age
    43
    Posts
    7,105
    Rep Power
    102
    Points
    36,402 (1,010 Banked)
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    Depends, there are lot so good reasons to use structs, especially as they are inline.
    Hell I uses stucts inside class's at times, I'd go so far to say my 3d engine wouldn't run without them.
    Plus soon as your data is in a class, its private. Which can mean an unnecessary interface just to get some data out.

    Variables in classes can be public or private in most languages. But I'll defer to you as far as structs usefulness in C/C++. They are basically the same thing as data objects in other languages.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

    Server Error Status Thread







  5. #55
    Power Member
    mynd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Age
    41
    Posts
    16,711
    Rep Power
    154
    Points
    100,210 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    Variables in classes can be public or private in most languages. But I'll defer to you as far as structs usefulness in C/C++. They are basically the same thing as data objects in other languages.
    They have their place, trust me.
    In the case above I was using them simply because it's relatively easy to access, and I'm not sure he wants to go through the whole class thing just yet.
    2play:Red Dead, GTA 4,Batman AC,Batman AO,Borderlands 2,Skyrim,Sleeping Dogs,Reckoning,Dead Island, DarkSiders 2,Dark Souls,Dead Space 2,MGS 3,MGS:PW, XCOM:EU,Hitman Absolution,Biosuck Infinite,Assassins Creed 3,Deus Ex,Castlevania, Halo Wars,Civilization,Forza Horizon,Black Ops,Black Ops 2,MW3,LA Noire,Crackdown,Dead Rising 2,Fallout 3, Fallout:NV,RE 4, Bully, Hitman HD collecton.

  6. #56
    PSU Technical Manager
    Christopher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Warner Robins, GA
    Age
    43
    Posts
    7,105
    Rep Power
    102
    Points
    36,402 (1,010 Banked)
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    They have their place, trust me.
    In the case above I was using them simply because it's relatively easy to access, and I'm not sure he wants to go through the whole class thing just yet.
    Yeah, there are a thousand different ways to tackle a problem. In my mind, objects make life easier. But to each their own.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

    Server Error Status Thread







  7. #57
    Forum Elder
    Abdou23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Egypt
    PSN ID
    Abdou023
    Age
    26
    Posts
    2,505
    Rep Power
    48
    Points
    10,426 (0 Banked)
    I decided to jump into the App development wagon, i've been thinking to do do for over 4 months now, and i even watched some youtube videos and learned some Java basics. But now that i'm fully ready to take that step i would like to know which is better and/or easier for learning: C then Objective C or Java then Android. I understand that both Java and C are very similar but from what i've been gearing it's better to develop for ios.
    And what exactly are my chances into succeeding in this world ? yes i have the well and the time but how long will it take me to be able to create a decent app. ?!

    I found this online courses website and it seems very respectable, i might start there. Udemy

    PSN: Abdou023
    Currently Playing: GTA 5

  8. #58
    Super Elite
    chrisw26308's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Age
    42
    Posts
    2,388
    Rep Power
    69
    Points
    10,437 (0 Banked)
    Game maker studio free right now if anyone is interested.

    http://www.yoyogames.com/studio

    Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  9. #59
    PSU Technical Manager
    Christopher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Warner Robins, GA
    Age
    43
    Posts
    7,105
    Rep Power
    102
    Points
    36,402 (1,010 Banked)
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdou23 View Post
    I decided to jump into the App development wagon, i've been thinking to do do for over 4 months now, and i even watched some youtube videos and learned some Java basics. But now that i'm fully ready to take that step i would like to know which is better and/or easier for learning: C then Objective C or Java then Android. I understand that both Java and C are very similar but from what i've been gearing it's better to develop for ios.
    And what exactly are my chances into succeeding in this world ? yes i have the well and the time but how long will it take me to be able to create a decent app. ?!

    I found this online courses website and it seems very respectable, i might start there. Udemy
    I'm not sure how much learning C will help with Objective C. The differences between C and Objective C syntax is significant and it is a slightly different approach in programming. iPhone development is bit more structured as it has a MVC architecture built in. So you really need to understand MVC more than you need to know the C language to be prepared for iPhone development, imo. After that, understanding how to retain and release resources is the next hurdle, which is also done differently (at least in syntax) in Objective C.

    I think iOS probably is the more sought after skill set for mobile devices, but I don't have anything to back that up. Just a gut feel. But the advantage of Android development is that Java is simply easier to program than any C language. Java has built in memory management so you don't have to worry about the retaining/releasing. Also, everything in Java is pass by value rather than value or reference. That may seem like nothing, but pointers and memory addressing is something that has given novice programmers fits in my experience. mynd can speak to this more accurately than I can though. I may be overstating it.

    Another option to consider is Mono Touch. Program for both devices using C#.

    As far as courses, I would check out iTunes U. I watch a number of courses that Stanford put on iTunes for iPhone development. Excellent college level courses......free.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

    Server Error Status Thread







  10. #60
    Forum Elder
    Abdou23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Egypt
    PSN ID
    Abdou023
    Age
    26
    Posts
    2,505
    Rep Power
    48
    Points
    10,426 (0 Banked)
    I really can't make up my mind,But from what i read i understand that C is preferable to learn before Objective C ( i'm talking basics of course ) same goes to Java. If there is a way to create native apps for both Android & ios using only one language that would've been awesome ( not c# thou , )

    But another important question now is how long it will take me to be able to make a professional App ?! say i can learn a certain language in a week or two according to the online courses.

    PSN: Abdou023
    Currently Playing: GTA 5

  11. #61
    Nosce te ipsum
    F34R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Posts
    40,000
    Rep Power
    240
    Points
    136,127 (0 Banked)
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdou23 View Post
    I really can't make up my mind,But from what i read i understand that C is preferable to learn before Objective C ( i'm talking basics of course ) same goes to Java. If there is a way to create native apps for both Android & ios using only one language that would've been awesome ( not c# thou , )

    But another important question now is how long it will take me to be able to make a professional App ?! say i can learn a certain language in a week or two according to the online courses.
    If you're just getting into this, unless you either have prior experience, or you're just brilliant, you're not learning this stuff in a week or two.

    In a week or two, you should be able to make something basic.

    Gimme a starting point for what you'd consider "professional". Compare what you want to accomplish in two weeks to something already out there.
    Last edited by F34R; 02-23-2014 at 00:58.




  12. #62
    PSU Technical Manager
    Christopher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Warner Robins, GA
    Age
    43
    Posts
    7,105
    Rep Power
    102
    Points
    36,402 (1,010 Banked)
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdou23 View Post
    I really can't make up my mind,But from what i read i understand that C is preferable to learn before Objective C ( i'm talking basics of course ) same goes to Java. If there is a way to create native apps for both Android & ios using only one language that would've been awesome ( not c# thou , )

    But another important question now is how long it will take me to be able to make a professional App ?! say i can learn a certain language in a week or two according to the online courses.
    Yeah.....if you are totally new to C syntax then you will definitely need to get up to speed there. So do you have any programming knowledge?

    Why not C#? Basically MS version of Java.

    edit: And learning the syntax of the language is the easy part, btw. Learning the libraries and how to use them takes a heck of a lot longer to master.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

    Server Error Status Thread







  13. #63
    Forum Elder
    Abdou23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Egypt
    PSN ID
    Abdou023
    Age
    26
    Posts
    2,505
    Rep Power
    48
    Points
    10,426 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    If you're just getting into this, unless you either have prior experience, or you're just brilliant, you're not learning this stuff in a week or two.

    In a week or two, you should be able to make something basic.

    Gimme a starting point for what you'd consider "professional". Compare what you want to accomplish in two weeks to something already out there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    Yeah.....if you are totally new to C syntax then you will definitely need to get up to speed there. So do you have any programming knowledge?

    Why not C#? Basically MS version of Java.

    edit: And learning the syntax of the language is the easy part, btw. Learning the libraries and how to use them takes a heck of a lot longer to master.
    I wasn't talking about mastering the language, i was talking about understanding it and being able to make a full app. say for example a calculator or an alarm app with timer and stopwatch. All coursed i found are just few hours long 4-9. i already have some Java basics by the way, i understand what an objective oriented language is, memorising libraries and learning how to deal with them is definitely going to take sometime and those will be learned whenever i need them in my work, there is no other way.

    And i only want to learn Objective C or Android because those are the languages that being used in app development.

    PSN: Abdou023
    Currently Playing: GTA 5

  14. #64
    PSU Technical Manager
    Christopher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Warner Robins, GA
    Age
    43
    Posts
    7,105
    Rep Power
    102
    Points
    36,402 (1,010 Banked)
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Then you really just need to choose iPhone or Android to development for and not worry about which language. That's what I would do anyway. Good luck.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

    Server Error Status Thread







  15. #65
    Forum Elder
    Abdou23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Egypt
    PSN ID
    Abdou023
    Age
    26
    Posts
    2,505
    Rep Power
    48
    Points
    10,426 (0 Banked)
    I know there is more money in the IOS store, But Java & Android seems the best option for beginners in programming. I'm leaning toward Java.

    PSN: Abdou023
    Currently Playing: GTA 5

  16. #66
    Nosce te ipsum
    F34R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Posts
    40,000
    Rep Power
    240
    Points
    136,127 (0 Banked)
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdou23 View Post
    I know there is more money in the IOS store, But Java & Android seems the best option for beginners in programming. I'm leaning toward Java.
    I'd go with something like Stencyl, GameMaker, or GameSalad.




  17. Likes x_terna likes this post
  18. #67
    Newbie

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    82
    Rep Power
    7
    Points
    1,171 (0 Banked)
    Hey guys, i was just wondering if its difficult to enroll in a course at University for either software programming or computer science. I am in Australia (so it may be different) and i am tossing up between those too but cant decide. Can you guys briefly outline what you do at UNI (or college) and do you need a lot of high level maths? I have done 2 unit Maths which is ADVANCED MATHS (the one below extension) will that suffice and is the course heavy going and difficult. Thanks

  19. #68
    PSU Technical Manager
    Christopher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Warner Robins, GA
    Age
    43
    Posts
    7,105
    Rep Power
    102
    Points
    36,402 (1,010 Banked)
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Quote Originally Posted by FightingSmile64 View Post
    Hey guys, i was just wondering if its difficult to enroll in a course at University for either software programming or computer science. I am in Australia (so it may be different) and i am tossing up between those too but cant decide. Can you guys briefly outline what you do at UNI (or college) and do you need a lot of high level maths? I have done 2 unit Maths which is ADVANCED MATHS (the one below extension) will that suffice and is the course heavy going and difficult. Thanks
    I think all I needed to get into the Masters CS program at DePaul was calculus. Typical math programs are not usually very helpful in CS since it has its own special kind of math. I had to take a discrete math class and an algorithms course which had some calculations, but nothing really like anything else I had taken. Regardless of whether you are majoring in CS or SE, you'll have to same the same basic courses like operating systems, data structures, etc.

    I majored in computer science, but looking back I probably should have focuses on software engineering. More in line with what I do now. I took CS because I enjoyed the basic nuts and bolts of how software worked with the hardware. So I learned a lot about how the CPUs did basic calculations using 1s and 0s, different processing alignments (big endian vs little endian), and stuff like that, but that is only useful if you are programming in such a way that you need to know it. With languages like Java and .Net, all that kind of stuff is done for you and you never have to worry about it.

    My software engineering courses focuses a lot on object-oriented design and design patterns. Basically the idea is take a large complex problems and then organize it and simplify it as much as possible in code. You will find that the majority of companies that hire people are looking for this type of skill-set if you want to focus on software.

    So are you leaning in one direction or another? Also, what UNI are going to attend?
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

    Server Error Status Thread







  20. #69
    Forum Elder
    Abdou23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Egypt
    PSN ID
    Abdou023
    Age
    26
    Posts
    2,505
    Rep Power
    48
    Points
    10,426 (0 Banked)
    eclipse is basically a forest of errors, i'm struggling with it's android plug-in. i basically literally spent 2 days trying trying fixing errors rather than righting code.
    one error was " id cannot be resolved or is not a field " the R.java file itself had no errors and it is referencing the field correctly,( blue & italic) and doesn't give me any suggestions, tried every common fix possible and finally i deleted the line of code and wrote it again and it got fixed !!!

    I was think to switch to Android Studio but i don't know if i will be able to deal with it, also most courses are in eclipse. what do you guys recommend ?!

    PSN: Abdou023
    Currently Playing: GTA 5

  21. #70
    PSU Technical Manager
    Christopher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Warner Robins, GA
    Age
    43
    Posts
    7,105
    Rep Power
    102
    Points
    36,402 (1,010 Banked)
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdou23 View Post
    eclipse is basically a forest of errors, i'm struggling with it's android plug-in. i basically literally spent 2 days trying trying fixing errors rather than righting code.
    one error was " id cannot be resolved or is not a field " the R.java file itself had no errors and it is referencing the field correctly,( blue & italic) and doesn't give me any suggestions, tried every common fix possible and finally i deleted the line of code and wrote it again and it got fixed !!!

    I was think to switch to Android Studio but i don't know if i will be able to deal with it, also most courses are in eclipse. what do you guys recommend ?!
    I don't have any experience with android IDEs, but I use PHPStorm by Jetbrains and it is awesome. They have a free Android IDE. Might want to try it.

    http://www.jetbrains.com/idea/featur...Q1o7AodOTUAsg&
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

    Server Error Status Thread







Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

PSU

Playstation Universe

Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission of Abstract Holdings International Ltd. prohibited.
Use of this site is governed by our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

vBCredits II Deluxe v2.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2010-2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.