Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    I never said who was right or wrong, but IMO Mynd comes across as more knowledgeable and rational.

Right, we don't know. Thats why i take most stuff thrown around by these so called "insiders" about hardware with a grain salt. They're just rumors.

That's exactly what i've been doing. Its only been weeks since the consoles launched, but you wouldnt know it by reading some of the threads....lol
    Settle, Gretel. No accusations were thrown..
    Be Together - Not the same.

Forum Overseer

Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    It really depends on what you are referring to, software, well no-one is going to argue that the whole virtual o/s thing is a road block, that's still softwrae though and that could change (might not too).
    But in terms of some sort of secret sauce on the PS4 architecturally wise, I've never hear of any, yes we all know about the bandwidth and the ESRAM mitigation, but again that's related to GPU, you seem to be hinting at some others extra special thing the PS4 has, there seems to be this strong hint form you and others that the PS4 has all this extra leg room that it has yet to stretch. I'm not referring to the obvious programing efficiencies that will happen on both no doubt.
    who said it has yet to stretch? that has been the whole point this entire time. it has all the resources available "now". it's because of X1's own focus of resources that bring it down for the most part. Not only it has to deal with a slower RAM with half the max throughput, it has to deal with having "less" resources available, that are "less" overall to begin with.

it's X1 that people keep claiming that will have this super saiyan unlocked once the drivers are updated. the entire reason PS4 is putting out better performing games is because it doesn't need any secret sauce. It doesn't "need" cloud. it doesn't need any of that.

the arm chip you're arguing against, lol, again, you are so quick to bring up useless crap like the sound chip but do not understand that everything inside the PS4 that takes away from the main process (like the ARM chip!) gives it more resources to work with! That 256MB DDR3 RAM will help mitigate some of the workload off the main process...does the X1 have this? nope. Why is that difficult to understand? That's the beauty of the PS4 console, it's easy as $#@! to understand! it's designed to be brute, and to keep $#@! off itself, rather than X1 that is trying to do too many things at once and fails because it's not leaving enough resources for the developers to work with. damn simple as that.

do you remember what you said before the consoles came out? i remember it very clearly, you said, let's wait, we don't know, we're not the developers (when the developers themselves are telling us what is going on, not to mention, this isn't rocket science), you said, "that 40% isn't going to mean a 40% more performance!, more like 10%!) (it's a paraphrase, quotes are just for the dramatic effect), guess what TR is showing? about a 40% difference in performance! you said, "we're not going to see noticeable differences", guess what, not only it's showing a 40%+ fps difference, it has degraded AA, AF, and textures!

you said, let's wait until they launch. and we did and you were wrong. now you have at least agreed that it's due to the GPU and the CUs but you did not before, you came out with every single bit of information to try and downplay the advantages of the PS4 like you are saying about the X1 having more resources lol...based on what? the amount of RAM available? Nope, you're wrong. PS4 has 5.5GB available, X1 has 5. and GDDR5 performs significantly better than GDDR3. that is a fact. i linked this fact to you last time we spoke about this.

and by "resources", i'm not talking about the amount of RAM available because that doesn't tell the entire picture. it means the amount of processing power that is available (RAM, GPU and CPU combined, in addition to the ARM processor/256MB DDR3) and on the X1 side you have broken software, 10% resource reservation, ESRAM limitation (that will never be fixed), slower RAM (PS4's RAM has more than twice the bandwidth at all times), significantly slower GPU, significantly less CUs, slightly less (now rumored) CPU. They're practically going in two different directions! Do you know why head-on collisions are so much worse than stationary collisions? if you can answer this, you can understand why the X1 is at a vastly significant disadvantage.

you seem to be focusing on specifics that have little to do with what's really going on and that's fine because i've been right so far. you have thus far to prove yourself.

and you're wrong about the RAM not being important because it's to do with the GPU. You need more (faster) RAM for bigger games, i already presented you with a link last time we spoke. of course the GPU comes into play but you can't have big living breathing worlds without faster RAM.

@Sub. Thank you for chiming in sir

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    N0REGARD4LIFE
    Items PlayStationDiceBattlefield 3
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercrow View Post
    And all we did was disagree with your opinion. Edit- Just saw Admartians message. End of that discussion outside of pms I guess.
    It's fine. Not a huge deal. No hard feelings I hope. And are people still arguing about which console is more powerful? I thought it was cut and dried the ps4 is the beast?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by N0REGARD4LIFE; 01-31-2014 at 04:37.

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    who said it has yet to stretch? that has been the whole point this entire time. it has all the resources available "now". it's because of X1's own focus of resources that bring it down for the most part. Not only it has to deal with a slower RAM with half the max throughput, it has to deal with having "less" resources available, that are "less" overall to begin with.
    What less resources? You still haven't clarified that.
    Yes we've covered the whole GPU->RAM->Bandwidth thing to death, we all understand that, but that isnt "less resources", slower yes. Less? No.
    it's X1 that people keep claiming that will have this super saiyan unlocked once the drivers are updated. the entire reason PS4 is putting out better performing games is because it doesn't need any secret sauce. It doesn't "need" cloud. it doesn't need any of that.
    I don think anyone has claimed that its going to be super in comparison to the PS4 for sometime, every since we could solidify the rumored specs, I haven't heard anyone suggest the PS4 and XBO where going tot be equal in gaming performance. I really don't get that, if you can find anyone saying that, even in this please, show me, because I haven't seen it.

the arm chip you're arguing against, lol, again, you are so quick to bring up useless crap like the sound chip but do not understand that everything inside the PS4 that takes away from the main process (like the ARM chip!)
    What does the arm chip do for the main CPU? You don't know, I don't know, its speculation. We do know what Sony have told us and none of that suggests anything you are saying.

gives it more resources to work with! That 256MB DDR3 RAM will help mitigate some of the workload off the main process...does the X1 have this?
    Complete speculation.
    nope. Why is that difficult to understand? That's the beauty of the PS4 console, it's easy as $#@! to understand!
    Well $#@! lets not talk about the flash ram in the Xbox One then, because the PS4 doesn't have that and last I heard 8gb bets 256mb.
    Why don't we talk about that? Because most of understand what these extra bits are for..and they aint for the game system to consume.

it's designed to be brute, and to keep $#@! off itself, rather than X1 that is trying to do too many things at once and fails because it's not leaving enough resources for the developers to work with. damn simple as that.
    Sorry but you are just making this stuff up. There is nothing about the secondary processor that is going to "free stuff up". Again, find me a quote and we can talk, but nothing Cerny or Sony has ever said about this processor indicates this.
    do you remember what you said before the consoles came out? i remember it very clearly, you said, let's wait, we don't know, we're not the developers (when the developers themselves are telling us what is going on, not to mention, this isn't rocket science), you said, "that 40% isn't going to mean a 40% more performance!, more like 10%!) (it's a paraphrase, quotes are just for the dramatic effect), guess what TR is showing? about a 40% difference in performance! you said, "we're not going to see noticeable differences", guess what, not only it's showing a 40%+ fps difference, it has degraded AA, AF, and textures!
    I actually said I expected to see better filters on the PS4. Some slightly better textures effect but little diiference in terms of "thing son screen".
    I can also point to other examples where the game is identical except for resolution...
    you said, let's wait until they launch. and we did and you were wrong. now you have at least agreed that it's due to the GPU and the CUs but you did not before, you came out with every single bit of information to try and downplay the advantages of the PS4 like you are saying about the X1 having more resources lol...based on what? the amount of RAM available? Nope, you're wrong. PS4 has 5.5GB available,
    Not without paging, sorry. .
    X1 has 5. and GDDR5 performs significantly better than GDDR3.
    The last I heard it was slightly more than 5.
    that is a fact. i linked this fact to you last time we spoke about this.
    Its common knowledge.

I will point you to what I also said, which was you wont be saying
    and by "resources", i'm not talking about the amount of RAM available because that doesn't tell the entire picture.
    it means the amount of processing power that is available (RAM, GPU and CPU combined,
    True:
    in addition to the ARM processor/256MB DDR3)
    False
    and on the X1 side you have broken software,
    DO yo mean the virtual o/s?
    10% resource reservation,
    True
    ESRAM limitation (that will never be fixed),
    Its not broken, its just a limitation.
    slower RAM (PS4's RAM has more than twice the bandwidth at all times)
    False, when tlaking to the CPU it is slower
    , significantly slower GPU,
    False, the XBO has a faster GPU
    significantly less CUs,
    True
    slightly less (now rumored) CPU.
    Look at you virtual o/s answer for that, although it possible it is 2ghz, I'd err on the fact that it has to battle through the o/s
    They're practically going in two different directions! Do you know why head-on collisions are so much worse than stationary collisions? if you can answer this, you can understand why the X1 is at a vastly significant disadvantage.
    Wow this thing is a wreck, what a peice of trash. How do games even run on it?
    No one is saying the XBO one is faster, but it seems that, form you, it must be in every aspect the worse peice of tech, its not, it has some strengths, just not necessarily in the GPU end.
    you seem to be focusing on specifics that have little to do with what's really going on and that's fine because i've been right so far. you have thus far to prove yourself.
    I'll find you a quote from me pre-release.
    and you're wrong about the RAM not being important because it's to do with the GPU.
    Its important fo rthe GPU. I never siad it wasnt important.
    You need more (faster) RAM for bigger games,
    More maybe, faster? No.
    i already presented you with a link last time we spoke. of course the GPU comes into play but you can't have big living breathing worlds without faster RAM.

@Sub. Thank you for chiming in sir
    Last edited by mynd; 01-31-2014 at 06:06.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by N0REGARD4LIFE View Post
    It's fine. Not a huge deal. No hard feelings I hope. And are people still arguing about which console is more powerful? I thought it was cut and dried the ps4 is the beast? Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    No hard feelings at all bro. Its really no big deal. And yeah its pretty cut and dry about the power thing but I think its just a bitter pill to swallow for some of the xbox fans here. lol
    Last edited by mistercrow; 01-31-2014 at 05:19.

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Just for the record this is what I said pre-launch, just after the hot chips presentation:

The end result will likely be a wash in terms of most assets used. Models, the number of models, "things going on" is identical. The actual texture resolution though, this favors the PS4, whether that be through the number of textures applied to a model, or simply higher res textures.

I cant help but think of the PS4 render pipeline architecture as a snake, whose eaten a rather large meal. He has this rather large belly in the middle of it. While its head and tail are sleek.
    The issue being of course, if you use that overhead "space" or not.

Conclusion:Things aren't going to be "faster" you not going to see "more things" on the PS4 graphics. What you may see is higher res textures, or better texture effects possible on the PS4. While I expect the frame rate to be steady and the same on both. My gut feeling is, that extra "bump" in the snake is there for compute calculations.
    I will say, I am still some what surprised by the res thing, I still think the numbers don't lie, and somewhere along the pipeline the raw numbers are being significantly modified, either by the whole virtual 2 o/s thing or something still isn't quite right. of course there is significant "downtime" used by MS's o/s but there is still something a bit off between what the raw numbers say and what the performance devs are getting out of the XBO.
    My initial gut feeling is more in line with how Need for speed was released than something like Tomb raider.

Forum Overseer

What less resources? You still haven't clarified that.
    Yes we've covered the whole GPU->RAM->Bandwidth thing to death, we all understand that, but that isnt "less resources", slower yes. Less? No.
    having less bandwidth means less resources. and what have we covered about the GPU/RAM/Bandwidth thing?

I don think anyone has claimed that its going to be super in comparisim for sometime, every since we could solidify the rumoured specs, I haven't heard anyone suggest the PS4 and XBO where going tot be equal in gaming performance. I really dont get that, if you can find anyone saying that, even in this please, show me, because I haven't seen it.
    look at what Sub and F34R were arguing a week or so ago. I don't have time to look this up for you.

What does the arm chip do for the main CPU? You don't know, I don't know, its speculation. We do know what Sony have told us and none of that suggests anything you are saying.
    and that in no way means that it "doesn't" do anything. Sony has already stated that it's being used.

Well $#@! lets not talk about the flash ram in the Xbox One then, because the PS4 doesn't have that and last I heard 8gb bets 256mb.
    Why don't we talk about that? Because most of understand what these extra bits are for..and they aint for the game system to consume.
    if the X1 has a 256MB flash RAM (first time I've heard of) then it's probably being utilized. That is RAM which would've otherwise taken out from the 8GB pool. which reminds me, the X1 dedicated two CPU cores to its OS, another drawback not found on the PS4.

Sorry but you are just making this stuff up. There is nothing about the secondary processor that is going to "free stuff up". Again, find me a quote and we can talk, but nothing Cerny or Sony has ever said about this processor indicates this.
    no i'm not. Sony already stated that it helps with the downloads, they just haven't said that it does anything more. but we do know that "it's being utilized", it doesn't matter what it's being used for as long as we know that it's "being used"! because anything that is being put off, the APU is going to gain from that. common sense.

I actually said I expected to see better filters on the PS4. Some slightly better textures effect but little diiference in terms of "thing son screen".
    I can also point to other examples where the game is identical except for resolution...
    yeah, filters, not textures. you specifically said that textures will be the same.
    We still wont see games with huge graphical differences beyond resolution, both games will feature the same textures and models, the difference will be either resolution/frame-rate or a few extra "special" effects.
    http://www.psu.com/forums/showthread...dvantage/page2

and while i agree with your post for the most part, i don't agree that this will happen in exclusives. that's where the PS4 is going to show a drastic improvement. things that will likely not be possible on the X1.

also the on-screen objects do not matter. they could've easily increased the fps a little by removing certain objects, it's just more viable to just go ahead with a lower locked fps because the casuals may not know or care about the fps differences but they will care about having less things to look at. that's just dependent on the developer. so that's really a moot point, you can't predict what the developer is going to do. no one cares if one has less objects than the other when there's such a huge gap between the fps. because that generally matters first to the core user.

Not without paging, sorry. .
    turns out we're both wrong. 512MB is used as virtual and 512MB is actual. so that makes it about the same it is on the X1 except again, 5GB of GDDR5 performs far better than 5GB of DDR3, especially for video game applications so the point still stands. more resources available. also i'm sure that extra virtual 512MB couldn't be anything but more beneficial.

The last I heard it was slightly more than 5.
    you heard wrong.

Its common knowledge.
    so stop denying it lol.

False
    in your opinion.

DO yo mean the virtual o/s?
    drivers. also developers were complaining about the OS. did not specify which part of it.

Its not broken, its just a limitation.
    i know that, i'm trying to make it easier for others to read. this limitation will never change. does that sound better?

False, when tlaking to the CPU it is slower
    and that's relevant...how?

False, the XBO has a faster GPU
    nice semantic game you're trying to play for this entire reply.

you know what i meant, "Xbox One uses AMD Radeon HD 7790 GPU clocked at 800Mhz. PS4 uses AMD Radeon HD 7870.In raw benchmarks on a PC, HD 7870 beats HD 7790 with 40-50% better benchmark scores."

does it change my point?
    http://geeknizer.com/xbox-one-vs-ps4-gpu/

Wow this thing is a wreck, what a peice of trash. How do games even run on it?
    you missed my analogy but it was indirect so i understand. think of it this way, they are both starting at a certain point. that is their stock powers. PS4 is going up with its attempt at creating specialized attributes towards gaming applications while Xbox One is going down by burdening the gaming application. The X1 is not trying to reach the PS4, it's actually going away from reaching even its own potential whereas PS4 is trying hard to reach its potential without any hurdles. That, sir, is a brilliant plan for a console that is meant to play games.

No one is saying the XBO one is faster, but it seems that, form you, it must be in every aspect the worse peice of tech, its not, it has some strengths, just not necessarily in the GPU end.
    what strengths are those again? It's not the worst piece of tech. I actually think the two OS approach is brilliant. i actually think kinect is a neat thing as a tech. I just don't think it's a well thought-out "games" console. It's a well thought-out doing-many-things-at-once console however.

Its important fo rthe GPU. I never siad it wasnt important.
    so why disagree with me then, only to agree later?

More maybe, faster? No.
    you know what, i'm tired here. i'm going to let the devs do the talking here.

How would the unified system architecture and 8GB GDDR5 RAM help in making a better game? Gilray stated that, “It means we don’t have to worry so much about stuff, the fact that the memory operates at around 172GB/s is amazing, so we can swap stuff in and our as fast as we can without it really causing us much grief."

Is he specifically talking about speed there? I think so.

just for kicks, what i have been saying:
    I’m getting personally very excited for the PlayStation 4. For all the softballs Microsoft is throwing [Sony's] way, they’re knocking them out of the park. It’s kind of amazing. The whole thing with the 8GB of GDDR5 memory is you can make pretty amazing games with that memory architecture. I think it’s going to be important in the future, rather than the CPU and the GPU. It gives you an easy path just to update the graphics just through increasing the texture resolution. I think that’s hugely exciting.
    Last edited by Omar; 01-31-2014 at 07:10.

Superior Member

PSN ID
    martin_blank
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    Interesting. I wonder if the PS4's camera and voice command processing works the same way.
    (This is very, very long so anyone prone to TLDR smack or wall-of-text condemn other posters just, you know, don't bother reading it and then you won't have to go to the effort typing anything.)

From what I've seen from my PS4 camera and the PS4 commands they can do both on the main CPU, off the GPU. And no reserve, either, but dynamically allocated as requested by the software. For the always-on UI stuff, which as far as I know on PS4 is just voice, not video. (Somebody posted something about a small amount of dedicated voice/video RAM in the PS4 and I too recall that's in there.) A game that broadly uses always-on voice commands, like TR Definitive, can I'm sure further reserve from the PS4, but only out of GPU and/or CPU time already reserved for games. What I mean is, the PS4 says, Games, you can have this -- do with it as you please. Then it's up to the game to manage the resources it needs within the limits of resources it's allowed. From what I've read in some PS4 TR Definitive game reviews -- good, thumbs-up type reviews -- PS4 neither discriminates nor recognizes voice nearly as well as Xbox One. You'll say something to someone in the room and TR Definitive will pause, or switch weapons or something. Or else you'll tell the game a thing to do and it will do another thing, or it'll do nothing at all. I don't know myself since I played TR on PS3 and I'm not buying Definitive for PS4 until maybe the price drops and there's a sale on top of that.

These things very rarely happen with our Xbox One. We'll be watching a movie and the kids will be in and out of the room and we're saying things to them and they're saying things back, and sometimes even the word "Xbox" comes up, and the Xbox One does nothing but keep playing the movie. Finally we give up and realize it's time for a kid intermission and I'll direct my attention to the X1 and say "Xbox pause," and only then does it do anything, and it pauses like I said.

That's the trade off. X1 voice command works very well. It had better work well since heavily touted and rolled into every console via the bundled and required Kinect. (I don't know how required Kinect really is. There was one time I didn't have the Kinect connector fully seated so the X1 didn't recognize it and on startup it nagged me there was a problem with Kinect but everything that wasn't Kinect-specific worked fine.) Anyway, the trade off is that 2% GPU time, the real-world significance of which I do not know. I also don't know the significance of 10%, 2% for voice and 8% for video, since I don't know how much more performance developers need out of the X1 to match PS4 in graphical performance. I don't know it can ever match PS4 in real-wrold application no matter how much GPU reservation they let go.

Ultimately, does it matter? Several of the TR Definitive reviews stated both versions looked outstanding, indistinguishable from one another, and then were later updated to give the nod to PS4 after they'd done frame-rate comparisons or read other reviewer's frame-rate comparisons. (Some described noticeable hitches in PS4 graphics, though. Probably rate drops off 60.) The thing is, I don't sit around my house and do frame-rate evaluations. I doubt you do either. BF4 looks yowsa on PS4 and from what I've read, haven't seen it firsthand, very nice on X1 but not so yowsa. However, Ryse on X1 looks as shiny gorgeous as anything first-party or multi-platform on PS4. Ryse is a short game and gameplay is repetitive but it fairly proves the X1 can do yowsa with the visuals. So we know X1 can do it; now it's a matter for developers to do it with their games and MS to make it easier to do it.

I can't imagine Sony wasn't busy holding hands with multi-platform developers for PS4 version while MS wasn't for the X1 versions. I think it's kind of funny, really. All they've done is swap marketing angles. X360 did so well on the "it's the games, stupid" deal and MS realized that most of PS3's early market stability was that Blu-ray player. That is, the home entertainment angle. What Sony later starting calling "it only does everything." The first-party IPs were thin and the multi-platform ports looked like mush. Which made F.E.A.R. no less fun to play on PS3 but if you stopped being freaked out playing it for a minute and just watched the visuals it did look kind of mushy. So, Sony was doing their entertainment center thing and MS was doing their games, games, games thing and both companies realized what was losing them sales was the thing they weren't doing but the other was. So last generation MS started bulking up the home entertainment angle -- on X360 that was a little sad, really; it could do that stuff but wasn't especially well designed for it -- and after some shenanigans like PS Home, Sony focused a lot more on games, superior first-party titles and encouraging developers to produce good multi-platform ports.

Both console companies have carried that shift into a full-on swap in this generation. X1 is an all-purpose home entertainment device and PS4 is a games machine. There's a lot more crossover than that, and certainly a lot of potential for even greater crossover, as the market demands. Even right now, in games X1 isn't something frankly dismal like Ouya and in home entertainment PS4 isn't your grandmother's old S-VHS deck. But that's the mainstream marketing message at the moment: X1, home entertainment; PS4, games.

I plan on doing my own head-to-head visuals performance comparison between PS4 and X1 using BF4 on the former and Forza 5 on the latter. On PS4 I'm going to start playing BF4 and put all my attention on the fluidity of enemy animations and wonder why I keep dying because I'm watching the knees of the guys shooting at me. On X1 in Forza I'll buy Lauda's mid-1970s Ferrari and watch the fans in the grandstands to evaluate the diversity of models and animations in the crowd. This will become complicated when I roll the car 20 times at the first turn.

I never played Scribblenauts anywhere else so I'm really enjoying Scribblenauts Unlimited on WiiU as it's all new to me. By comparison to PS4 and X1 it looks like $#@!. But we all know highest-end visuals win the day. That's why PS Vita is such a stunning success worldwide. Oh, wait, that never happened.

Dropping the sarcasm, and I'm addressing this in genera,l not specifically to Christopher, who actually seems even keel in the games department: I really like my Vita despite the fact it's skinny on good games right now. I love our PS4 and equally so our X1. I like our WiiU, too. What I don't get is why anyone so intensely discriminating about maxed-out frame rates and astoundingly detailed textures would ever buy a console in the first place. If high-FPS supersonic eyeball-freezing graphics were my thing I'd drop $US3,000 on a gaming PC and then spend at very minimum 500 bucks a year on upgrades, like the latest video cards, more RAM, finally a whole new motherboard and CPU, and I'd only play the maybe two games a year that can take anywhere near full advantage of all that power.

Aren't we there yet, at least in the widening circle of avid gamers, that games are an entertainment arts medium rather than mere tech toys to be measured with performance yardsticks? Even the New York Times has started putting some rather general games essays in their arts section instead of the tech section. Yet what I keep hearing is, "I saw Pacific Rim last summer and liked it a lot and I recently checked out Short Term 12 and you know that's a pretty good movie but damn the special effects in Short Term 12 REALLY SUCK."

Superior Member

Good stuff if its true and I see things haven't changed much around here when it comes to the actual knowledge on this topic.
    It just sounds like you don't want to hear things that doesnt suit you even though they are true.

10. Likes mistercrow likes this post
    Elite Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by AttackTitan View Post
    It just sounds like you don't want to hear things that doesnt suit you even though they are true.
    If something is true there would be no need to include the word rumour.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Yungstar 2006 View Post
    i used to take free online gaming for granted with PS3, not so with the PS4..
    You know he was talking about services such as Netflix that are not behind a paywall everywhere else?

Dedicated Member
    I've made all of my points on these and had my told you so moment.
    The proofs just keep on coming.
    This is done.
    Halo 5 in 2015 and a new Forza sooner? LOL, the lineup kills the hopefuls, and Titanfall is going be a letdown.

Tired answers come from tired posters maintaining heavy lines they feel some unearthly urge to tow. Mean

Let it all go. Be Like Water: Flow where the pipes are biggest, flow freer, flow faster. Grow and Enjoy!
    Don't pin yourselves to things which are narrow, which push things through their own little paths building up pressure and holding everything back. While the water still flows, it's just congested and choked, it's power held back by the narrows.

Back to petting my kitty now, she's WAY more entertaining than this tired $#@!.

Cheers!
    Sleeping very soundly on a Saturday morning I was dreaming
    I was Al Capone
    There's a rumour going round, gotta clear outta town
    I'm smelling like a dry fish bone
    Here come the Law, gonna break down the door, gonna carry me
    away once more
    Never, never, never get it any more
    Gotta get away from this stone cold floor
    Crazy
    Stone cold crazy, you know

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    When you can snatch this pebble from my hand it will be time for you to leave grasshopper.

Elite Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by John Willaford View Post
    This is done.
    Halo 5 in 2015 and a new Forza sooner? LOL, the lineup kills the hopefuls, and Titanfall is going be a letdown.

Tired answers come from tired posters maintaining heavy lines they feel some unearthly urge to tow. Mean

Let it all go. Be Like Water: Flow where the pipes are biggest, flow freer, flow faster. Grow and Enjoy!
    Don't pin yourselves to things which are narrow, which push things through their own little paths building up pressure and holding everything back. While the water still flows, it's just congested and choked, it's power held back by the narrows.

Cheers!
    tell us us more please old wise one. Give us that e-3 lineup.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style
    tell us us more please old wise one. Give us that e-3 lineup.
    As to your knowledge?

17. Likes mistercrow likes this post
    Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style

Rumour: the 10% GPU reserve on X1 is going to 2% very soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    having less bandwidth means less resources. and what have we covered about the GPU/RAM/Bandwidth thing?
    Err, its never meant that. I fi I have 12mb of ram and another system has 12mb, I have the same resources available.
    I think you mean to say that you can make more use of the resources? I'd agree with that statement, but "less resources" isn't really true. I'd even go so far as to say less "available resources" in terms of the whole 2 os thing.
    look at what Sub and F34R were arguing a week or so ago. I don't have time to look this up for you.
    In this thread?
    and that in no way means that it "doesn't" do anything. Sony has already stated that it's being used.
    Its being used, just not in game, at the very least, everything that we've been told about it would not indicate that it would be used in game and a available to devs.
    if the X1 has a 256MB flash RAM (first time I've heard of) then it's probably being utilized. That is RAM which would've otherwise taken out from the 8GB pool. which reminds me, the X1 dedicated two CPU cores to its OS, another drawback not found on the PS4.
    Its 8gb and it's there on board, it's storage, probably for the o/s.
    If I had to speculate what the 256mb on the ARM chip was for well, its it's memory access, and probably where it stores all the background download buffer, then CRC checks it before dumping it in the main memory.
    no i'm not. Sony already stated that it helps with the downloads, they just haven't said that it does anything more. but we do know that "it's being utilized", it doesn't matter what it's being used for as long as we know that it's "being used"! because anything that is being put off, the APU is going to gain from that. common sense.
    The goal is to get low power state, and background downloads running of it, so you system updates with very low power, that's what its going to be used for, they haven't got it right yet, but I imagine they will.
    When you system, I i imagine it still doe sit main task, which is periodically check for updates and download them in the background.
    yeah, filters, not textures. you specifically said that textures will be the same.
    Err...."The actual texture resolution though, this favors the PS4, whether that be through the number of textures applied to a model, or simply higher res textures."

Its all going tbe trade offs, your not going to see all of these things at once. The one thing I generally assumed when I did my hypothesis was that any extra ommph wouldn't just go into framerate. It never factored into what I was thinking but look at it this way, with the PS4 the devs will have a choice...

Better:

1/ frame rate
    2/resolution
    3 /extra effect (inc. textures)

They can pick one, maybe even 2 but probably not all three.
    and while i agree with your post for the most part, i don't agree that this will happen in exclusives. that's where the PS4 is going to show a drastic improvement. things that will likely not be possible on the X1.
    That generally goes without saying about exclusives, I'm not sure "drastic" but we will see.
    also the on-screen objects do not matter. they could've easily increased the fps a little by removing certain objects, it's just more viable to just go ahead with a lower locked fps because the casuals may not know or care about the fps differences but they will care about having less things to look at. that's just dependent on the developer. so that's really a moot point, you can't predict what the developer is going to do. no one cares if one has less objects than the other when there's such a huge gap between the fps. because that generally matters first to the core user.
    As I say, devs will choose which one they use.
    turns out we're both wrong. 512MB is used as virtual and 512MB is actual. so that makes it about the same it is on the X1 except again, 5GB of GDDR5 performs far better than 5GB of DDR3, especially for video game applications so the point still stands. more resources available. also i'm sure that extra virtual 512MB couldn't be anything but more beneficial.
    Umm, its still "virtual" you dont have to swap bank, and they will be a HUGE advantage if you don't, but that that leave syou with 5gb, the same as I said, as the XBO.
    you heard wrong.
    I haven't heard anyone say the XBO use anything except "around" 3gb or less for the 2nd o/s.
    so stop denying it lol.
    Im not denying anything, PS4=4.5gb +512 o/s allowed (with option to page swap it for a 2nd 512).
    XBO=5gb+
    So again, there has never been a suggestion that the PS4 has more ram available, that's simply untrue.
    in your opinion.
    Well god help devs if they have use the ARM chip.
    drivers. also developers were complaining about the OS. did not specify which part of it.
    Yes well no argument here as I say its a fairly significant road block.
    i know that, i'm trying to make it easier for others to read. this limitation will never change. does that sound better?

and that's relevant...how?
    you arguing the speed beifnits CPU based tasks such as "bigger worlds" etc, thats all based on the amount of ram available, not the speed anyway, and again, I don't see how extra speed gives you a bigger world?
    nice semantic game you're trying to play for this entire reply.
    You said it, maybe you should have said more powerful per clock.
    you know what i meant, "Xbox One uses AMD Radeon HD 7790 GPU clocked at 800Mhz. PS4 uses AMD Radeon HD 7870.In raw benchmarks on a PC, HD 7870 beats HD 7790 with 40-50% better benchmark scores."

does it change my point?
    http://geeknizer.com/xbox-one-vs-ps4-gpu/

you missed my analogy but it was indirect so i understand. think of it this way, they are both starting at a certain point. that is their stock powers. PS4 is going up with its attempt at creating specialized attributes towards gaming applications while Xbox One is going down by burdening the gaming application. The X1 is not trying to reach the PS4, it's actually going away from reaching even its own potential whereas PS4 is trying hard to reach its potential without any hurdles. That, sir, is a brilliant plan for a console that is meant to play games.
    I'd agree the both start at certain levels (and the XBO is definitely behind in power no matter what), I also agree that the first thing MS does is dilute what power they significantly. I would argue that Sony's creating specialized attributes towards gaming, cause I don't know what that means.
    what strengths are those again? It's not the worst piece of tech. I actually think the two OS approach is brilliant. i actually think kinect is a neat thing as a tech. I just don't think it's a well thought-out "games" console. It's a well thought-out doing-many-things-at-once console however.
    I didn't disagree with that ever.
    It does have a stronger/faster bandwidth link between all systems.
    It does have a much more powerful dedicated sound chip.
    It does have some extra black box hardware designed to help out.
    All of those things are things not in the PS4. DO they help resolution or graphics, hell no.
    so why disagree with me then, only to agree later?
    I dont agree extra bandwidth is going to make "biigger more persitant worlds'
    you know what, i'm tired here. i'm going to let the devs do the talking here.

Is he specifically talking about speed there? I think so.

just for kicks, what i have been saying:
    [/quote]
    And you taking them out of context, they aren't referring to anything in terms of making persistent worlds, in fact Id go so far as to say, that what they are saying is, again to do with rendering graphics.

This may sound like I'm down playing the GPU advantage, but I really aren't, its quite obvious to see it in the titles we have so far had. But I really disagree that these "resources" are going to result in bigger more persistent worlds as an advantage over the XBO in multiplatform games.
    Last edited by mynd; 02-02-2014 at 05:38.

19. Likes Sub-stance1, F34R likes this post
    Dedicated Member
    Im not denying anything, PS4=4.5gb +512 o/s allowed (with option to page swap it for a 2nd 512).
    XBO=5gb+
    So again, there has never been a suggestion that the PS4 has more ram available, that's simply untrue.
    Just with this, MS did confirm that it is a 5/3 split for the ram, while Sony hasn't actually passed comment on ram usage. Eurogamer did update their story as well as developers saying it was false in the first place.

https://twitter.com/BriProv/status/361140165026131968
    said editorial
    http://retrocityrampage.com/blog/2013/07/522/

The fairest way to put it would be at least
    PS4 = 5gb+
    X1 = 5gb+
    as both companies can change the requirements in the future. Though we do know for certain that the X1 is 5/3 until stated otherwise and 5/3 to 6/2 or 7/1 (doubt that last one though) for PS4 until confirmed.

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Sajuuk Khar View Post
    Just with this, MS did confirm that it is a 5/3 split for the ram, while Sony hasn't actually passed comment on ram usage. Eurogamer did update their story as well as developers saying it was false in the first place.

https://twitter.com/BriProv/status/361140165026131968
    said editorial
    http://retrocityrampage.com/blog/2013/07/522/

The fairest way to put it would be at least
    PS4 = 5gb+
    X1 = 5gb+
    as both companies can change the requirements in the future. Though we do know for certain that the X1 is 5/3 until stated otherwise and 5/3 to 6/2 or 7/1 (doubt that last one though) for PS4 until confirmed.
    Yes, this is how understand it as well.
    I really am not sure where the xbo having less ram came from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Superior Member

PSN ID
    martin_blank
    Quote Originally Posted by John Willaford View Post
    This is done.

Cheers!
    Wait, you've called this generation a couple months in? Is that what I'm getting here amongst the beat verse? I called Ouya while it was still on Kickstarter and I'm okay with that but it's entirely different and I suppose it's possible I could still be wrong. I was always skeptical MS had any plans to release Halo 5 in fall 2014. Destiny releases fall 2014. I wouldn't want to put my new edition of a former Bungie property up against Bungie's new property -- which, let's admit, looks a hell of a lot like the former property MS is now developing without them. Halo 3 was released two fall games seasons after Xbox 360 launched. Makes sense they've had the same plans for Halo 5. The game was never confirmed for 2014, merely winked, and may well have always been internally slated for fall 2015. They're not going to tell you that when you're mulling over dropping $500 on an Xbox One during the launch window.

Forza Horizon is like Forza 5 like Gran Turismo 6 is like Burnout Paradise. It's a pilot spinoff. Most contemporary racers are online open-world arcade type experiences with triggered race events scattered through them. People seem to like this. That's about all anyone does in GTA online, besides boost in-game currency to buy tanks to run over people trying to play the game as an online open-world racer. Forza Horizon is pretty common MS marketing strategy: leverage an existing brand in service of entering and hopefully dominating an established market with an exclusive product. As opposed to, say, how Apple prefers to create new brands. Windows Phone was called Windows Phone before it even ran any sort of proper Windows. I'm not even sure Windows Phone runs Windows now. I hear it does. It looks a lot like Windows, but I don't know. iPhones run a version of Mac OS X and always have, but Apple never called them Mac Phone. Forza Horizon is a Forza game in little more than name.

Titanfall, frankly, I've got no idea because I haven't played it. I assume you have and can therefore assert it's disappointing.

John, I'm not saying Xbox One is better than PS4 or that it will ultimately outsell PS4. I'm saying the probability this generation is that both platforms will stick it just fine, both will be successful products. If one or the other does somehow manage to tank, with console releases on this scale, two months in is nothing upon which to base a prediction. Two months into last generation there was no BioShock, for God's sake. If you want to call the contest two months in then based on the launch catastrophe that was PS3 -- which I remind you eventually outsold Xbox 360 worldwide -- Sony killed off their console line. If you want to call it two months in, based on recent history, Xbox One wins. By default. Because there never was any PS4.

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sanfordmay View Post
    Wait, you've called this generation a couple months in? Is that what I'm getting here amongst the beat verse? I called Ouya while it was still on Kickstarter and I'm okay with that but it's entirely different and I suppose it's possible I could still be wrong. I was always skeptical MS had any plans to release Halo 5 in fall 2014. Destiny releases fall 2014. I wouldn't want to put my new edition of a former Bungie property up against Bungie's new property -- which, let's admit, looks a hell of a lot like the former property MS is now developing without them. Halo 3 was released two fall games seasons after Xbox 360 launched. Makes sense they've had the same plans for Halo 5. The game was never confirmed for 2014, merely winked, and may well have always been internally slated for fall 2015. They're not going to tell you that when you're mulling over dropping $500 on an Xbox One during the launch window.

Forza Horizon is like Forza 5 like Gran Turismo 6 is like Burnout Paradise. It's a pilot spinoff. Most contemporary racers are online open-world arcade type experiences with triggered race events scattered through them. People seem to like this. That's about all anyone does in GTA online, besides boost in-game currency to buy tanks to run over people trying to play the game as an online open-world racer. Forza Horizon is pretty common MS marketing strategy: leverage an existing brand in service of entering and hopefully dominating an established market with an exclusive product. As opposed to, say, how Apple prefers to create new brands. Windows Phone was called Windows Phone before it even ran any sort of proper Windows. I'm not even sure Windows Phone runs Windows now. I hear it does. It looks a lot like Windows, but I don't know. iPhones run a version of Mac OS X and always have, but Apple never called them Mac Phone. Forza Horizon is a Forza game in little more than name.

Titanfall, frankly, I've got no idea because I haven't played it. I assume you have and can therefore assert it's disappointing.

John, I'm not saying Xbox One is better than PS4 or that it will ultimately outsell PS4. I'm saying the probability this generation is that both platforms will stick it just fine, both will be successful products. If one or the other does somehow manage to tank, with console releases on this scale, two months in is nothing upon which to base a prediction. Two months into last generation there was no BioShock, for God's sake. If you want to call the contest two months in then based on the launch catastrophe that was PS3 -- which I remind you eventually outsold Xbox 360 worldwide -- Sony killed off their console line. If you want to call it two months in, based on recent history, Xbox One wins. By default. Because there never was any PS4.
    This thread was about machine horsepower, where it goes and what it's problems are.
    The XBO tried to speed up the backend without enough being pushed in to get the job done.
    It's like they didn't think consoles would want to use bigger sharper textures and thought bandwidth, meh. Or, they just wanted an HD system and not a Full HD system, lol.

It's the XBOX 720P , through and through.

Gamers historically choose the bang for the buck offering. And given that the XBO offers less Bang for LOTS MORE Buck, MS is fighting a harsh battle. Until XBO releases Lord Of The Rings Interactive with full camera controls that lets you battle by cutting through enemies with your chopping hand as a sword and pull back from your fist and open your hand (are you taking notes people, these are suggestions for SONY too) pulled away hand to fire and measure the angle of the delta between the hands and their apparent size delta to estimate orientation and taughtness of the pull, among other things, the cameras aren't going to impress anyone, but, your GF can play Zumba Fitness interactive on your machine though, so, i guess that's something. Then again, I know girls who are hardcore japanese RPG players, and, ooops, guess where most of the women gamers are headed, yeah, straight for Playstation land.

Also, what's with Microsoft's ads. A US company that's not being PC with their ads. Sofar, they are still Inviting, saying 'Lets Go', in their ads to all white people, and whatever Zachary Quinto is. White people, European white people with accents, etc. Damned near every black guy i know has an XBOX 360 over a PS3 personally, or plays their XB more than their PS3,and my understanding is that's about normal everywhere from what I have seen and heard talking to people and training retailers for years like i did across 3 states. I noticed it wasn't just my friends. It's a personal observation. I mean, why can't MS just have a black couple and asian couple to cover all bases in their ads, there's so many people in the ads! I know SONY doesn't right now either,but, they are the jap company and they tend to do that crap, hard to get them to change, but Microsoft surprises me. Microsoft is so far off their rockers with respect to how to advertise, who to appeal to, and what to focus on, they are just lucky SONY had a shortage during the holiday and the real hardcore early adopters and PARENTS just bought what they could put under a tree.

SONY's game to lose, MS has a steep cliff to climb and I don't see Sylvester Stallone coming in to help.
    Sleeping very soundly on a Saturday morning I was dreaming
    I was Al Capone
    There's a rumour going round, gotta clear outta town
    I'm smelling like a dry fish bone
    Here come the Law, gonna break down the door, gonna carry me
    away once more
    Never, never, never get it any more
    Gotta get away from this stone cold floor
    Crazy
    Stone cold crazy, you know

24. Likes mistercrow, Omar likes this post
    Forum Overseer

"Gamers historically choose the bang for the buck offering. And given that the XBO offers less Bang for LOTS MORE Buck, MS is fighting a harsh battle. Until XBO releases Lord Of The Rings Interactive with full camera controls that lets you battle by cutting through enemies with your chopping hand as a sword and pull back from your fist and open your hand (are you taking notes people, these are suggestions for SONY too) pulled away hand to fire and measure the angle of the delta between the hands and their apparent size delta to estimate orientation and taughtness of the pull, among other things, the cameras aren't going to impress anyone, but, your GF can play Zumba Fitness interactive on your machine though, so, i guess that's something."

exactly. and that would justify the 10% resources. this is exactly why i was supportive of the camera in the beginning.

Superior Member

If something is true there would be no need to include the word rumour.
    I meant regarding the discussion we have regarding why PS4 is stronger. Of which you definitely commented on.

Of which you also said you don't know anything about, but somehow you only find it more trust worthy of who says more positive thing about MS.

So tell me. If you know nothing about topic, how do you know how what he is telling you is more accurate?

Checkmate.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by AttackTitan View Post
    I meant regarding the discussion we have regarding why PS4 is stronger. Of which you definitely commented on. Of which you also said you don't know anything about, but somehow you only find it more trust worthy of who says more positive thing about MS. So tell me. If you know nothing about topic, how do you know how what he is telling you is more accurate? Checkmate.
    He doesnt. But its pro-xbox so hes onboard. lol

Superior Member

Like?

LOL, secret chips we don't know about huh? There is no other chip to help out, there is an arm chip that they use for background/low power state, which they have yet to get utilized properly (if they ever do). Its a marvel network processor chip, it no great shakes and good luck to you trying to utilise that in game, it has it's own memory reserve. It was never designed to help out in games, network traffic sure, but that's it.
    SONY has never advocated it as such either.
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/6972/x...-playstation-4

Ram PS4 by significant bit.

Tflop PS4 by huge margin.

CPU slightly Xbox One.

ROP, etc etc. PS4.

http://ps4daily.com/2013/11/playstat...dedicated-ram/

Secondary Processor with 256 mb.

"As mentioned before, the secondary CPU deals with minor tasks such as downloads, voice chat, and video transcoding. All of that frees up resources from the main CPU, which is used for games."

While all those task are done on Xbox One's main processor.

I don't know what you are about. Reports seem pretty consistent. Xbox One is weaker overall in general.

You are bringing up stronger "audio chip". Dude for real? Thats your excuse to why Xbox isnt as weak? PS4 audio chip does fine as is. Xbox One require stronger one for Kinect. Big deal.

Doesnt change the fact that it is weaker overall.
    Last edited by AttackTitan; 02-03-2014 at 23:53.

29. Likes Omar likes this post
    Power Member
    Actually Titan, regardless of CPU frequency (Sony never confirmed, though it's likely to be 1.6Ghz) we have it on good authority that the PS4 has more usable CPU horsepower than Xbox One.

Thread Information