Latest PSU headlines:

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Nvidia G-sync review

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/di...-g-sync-review

Enjoy.

Nvidia G-Sync: the Digital Foundry verdict

G-Sync is the best possible hardware solution to the age-old problems of screen-tear and v-sync judder. By putting the graphics card fully in charge of the screen refresh, effectively we have the visual integrity of v-sync along with the ability to run at unlocked frame-rates - something previously only possible by enduring ugly screen-tear. Out of the box, G-Sync provides a clearly superior experience, but it is not quite the magic bullet that solves all the issues of fluidity in PC gaming - something needs to change software-side too.

When we first looked at G-Sync at Nvidia's Montreal launch event, we marvelled at the sheer consistency of the experience in the pendulum and Tomb Raider demos. A drop down to 45fps incurred a little ghosting (frames were displayed on-screen for longer than the 60Hz standard 16.67ms, after all) but the fluidity of the experience looked very, very similar to the same demos running at 60fps - a remarkable achievement. However, the reason they looked so good was because of the regularity in the frame-rate - and that's not something typically associated with PC gaming. By running games completely unlocked, actual consistency while you play remains highly variable. G-Sync can mitigate the effects of this - but only to a certain degree.

There's a frame-rate threshold where the G-Sync effect begins to falter. It'll change from person to person, and from game to game, but across our testing, we found the sweet spot to be between 50-60fps in fast action games. Continual fluctuations beneath that were noticeable and while the overall presentation is preferable to v-sync, it still looked and felt not quite right. Owing to the nigh-on infinite combination of different PC components in any given unit, the onus will be on the user to gauge his quality settings effectively to hit the window, and equally importantly, the developer should aim for a consistent performance level across the game. It's no use tweaking your settings for optimal gameplay, only to find that the next level of the title incurs a much heavier GPU load. And if our G-Sync testing has taught us anything, it's that - within reason - consistent frame-rates are more important than the fastest possible rendering in any given situation.

hat being the case, with careful application, G-Sync opens up a lot more possibilities. In the era of the 60Hz monitor, the most consistent, judder-free experience we can get is either with a locked 60fps, or else the console standard 30fps. As we've discussed, theoretically, with G-Sync, target frame-rate could be set anywhere (40fps for example) and locked there without the stutter you'd have on a current display. To make that possible, ideally we really need to see is the introduction of frame-rate limiters in PC graphics settings. This has interesting implications for benchmarking GPUs because suddenly, lowest frame-rates suddenly become that much more important than the review-standard averages.

Overall, G-Sync is a hardware triumph, but the quest for a consistent, enjoyable gameplay experience is far from over. By eliminating the video artefacts, G-Sync lays bare the underlying problems of wildly variable gameplay frame-rates in PC gaming and highlights the problems of inconsistent input latency. If the hardware issue is now fixed, what's required now are software solutions to make the most of this exceptional technology.

Forum Sage

I really can't wait until I get my gsync monitor later this year.

Dedicated Member

Good review. I like the idea that GPUs would 'go further' with such technology, since they would not need to target 60 fps for smooth frame delivery.

However I'm not sure I will buy a G-sync monitor since there is talk that DisplayPort 1.3 will allow the same feature as standard.
    https://teksyndicate.com/users/roron...vidia-and-vesa
    Last edited by Valefor; 01-26-2014 at 22:09.

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    My monitor is only 12 months old so I am not n the market for a new oen yet so by the time I am this display port upgrade should be part of the norm.

Friendship is Carrots
    I've been using the same monitor for about 6-7 years now, and I really want to upgrade. I assume DisplayPort 3.1 wouldn't tack on much to the price? I want to hold out for a monitor that can perform this capability but not if it raises the price any noticeable amount.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]
    - [PSN] - [Programmers' Corner]

Dedicated Member

I hope not, but I suppose G-Sync monitors could drive up the price of regular monitors with DP 1.3. Even then, I would be surprised if it was a large premium.

Thread Information