Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    Items Battlefield 3Assassins Creed EzioCoD: World at War

Was DriveClub announced as a console launch PS+ title as a ploy?

The more I think back to February with the PS4 announcement and the reveal that DriveClub would be a PS+ launch title, and now with no confirmed release date, the more I think Sony always new DriveClub would not be a launch title but it was used as a ploy to get pre orders as well as to try and sugar coat the cost of PS+ being required for online play. Like, let's tell them they're getting a top exclusive PS+ title for free and pull the rug from under their feet nearer the release date - knowing full well DriveClub will not be ready for release.

I understand games get delayed, I have no problems with that but with how soon they announced it being a launch PS+ title and the timescale it had already been in development for I feel they new it would never be ready for release, especially now with no whisper of a confirmed date in site.

Maybe it's just me looking too much in to it and I'm abit bitter about the whole thing but does anyone else think anything similar?

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I doubt it. DriveClub being PS+ free was known as early/late as E3. And I don't think they REALLY knew that DC was being delayed up until closer to launch, so my guess is no.

Plus, we were always going to get games on PS+ for free, not sure if that was needed as a ploy as that would require on them banking on people wanting DC in the first place.

#IndieStation4 and proud of it.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Admartian View Post
    I doubt it. DriveClub being PS+ free was known as early/late as E3. And I don't think they REALLY knew that DC was being delayed up until closer to launch, so my guess is no.

Plus, we were always going to get games on PS+ for free, not sure if that was needed as a ploy as that would require on them banking on people wanting DC in the first place.
    I see what you're saying but DriveClub (IMO) was a massive retail not indie title to announce for free at launch, I don't think there would have been as much of a buzz if we new from day one it will be Contrast & Resogun.
    I was surprised to say the least that DriveClub was announced as a launch PS+ title and alot of the guys who I new were getting PS4's weren't fussed about the cost of PS+ due to DriveClub being a PS+ title so early on as they were thinking of purchasing it anyway.

It all just seems fishy to me

Racing Game Fanatic
    PSN ID
    gold106gti
    Items Title StyleVitaPS3 Slim
    I can see your point but I don't think it was a launch ploy, I just think they don't want to release it until they are confident it's going to be a great game!
    PSN ID: gold106gti

Twitter ID: Duffman1986

My New Youtube Gaming Channel: Duffman Gaming

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    You think Sony would use Drive Club as a way to get people to buy the PS4? Sony already had all the momentum in the world going their way without the need of Drive Club. Sony was hoping the game would release at launch, and was always going to be a free PS+ title. That launch date has then been pushed, and is still a free PS+ game. Delays happen.

Sony tried putting a date on the game once already, why should they try that again?

6. Likes sainraja likes this post
    Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethal_NFS View Post
    You think Sony would use Drive Club as a way to get people to buy the PS4? Sony already had all the momentum in the world going their way without the need of Drive Club. Sony was hoping the game would release at launch, and was always going to be a free PS+ title. That launch date has then been pushed, and is still a free PS+ game. Delays happen.

Sony tried putting a date on the game once already, why should they try that again?
    Exactly, with no date currently confirmed I believe they new full well it was never going to make November. Always being free on PS+ is great, confirming it as a console launch PS+ title is completely different. Yes the momentum was like a freight train but the cost of PS+ needed for online play was soon played down by 'well we're getting drive club day one' so it's not so bad.

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    Lol if they wanted to do that, they would have used Uncharted or some other big name game rather than a new ip. C'mon mam

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Veteran
    I guess it's just me being butthurt then

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by SupraGaz View Post
    I guess it's just me being butthurt then
    Trust me, we're all butthurt by this delay.

Was contemplating GT6. But potentially could have a free nextgen racer in DriveClub? That's the only thing holding me back.

#IndieStation4 and proud of it.

11. Likes GazzaGSi likes this post
    Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Admartian View Post
    Trust me, we're all butthurt by this delay.

Was contemplating GT6. But potentially could have a free nextgen racer in DriveClub? That's the only thing holding me back.
    I know what you mean, I've finished NFS Rivals too so abit lost for racers at the mo.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Drive Club was a jedi mind trick invented by Sony to decieve you into buying a PS4. Drive Club only exists in the matrix. The matrix tells you its coming. The truth is out there. Believe.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercrow View Post
    Drive Club was a jedi mind trick invented by Sony to decieve you into buying a PS4. Drive Club only exists in the matrix. The matrix tells you its coming. The truth is out there. Believe.
    I want to believe!

15. Likes mistercrow likes this post
    Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by SupraGaz View Post
    I want to believe!

I have always thought it was strange that Sony kept insisting that Drive Club was going to be a launch title when everyone who had eyes and played it at the trade shows knew it was nowhere near a finished game. When Sony finally came clean and announced that it was delayed, it was a great big "no duh" moment for me. I KNEW it wasn't going to be ready for launch.

I don't believe it was necessarily a ploy to get more PS Plus subscriptions. But I do think Sony waited until as late as they could to announced the delay because they wanted people who were interested in the game to continue preordering it and the PS4.

Power Member
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VI
    My only question is why did they replace it in the PS+ lineup with Contrast instead of one of their other disc titles!?
    Trophy-licious!

3DS: 3754-7606-9595

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    Disc titles bring in real money xD

It'll come soon enough with 1080P 60fps and a PS+ edition.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

Forum Elder
    It just wasn't ready like infamous. Consoles always over promise and under deliver at launch.

Or with it being the only playstation exclusive racing game they decided to up the graphics to compete with forza, the builds I seen over the summer looked good but not great.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Master Poster
    Items User name style
    I don't know if I buy the conspiracy theory, but I do know that Evolution studios has disturbed launches twice now.

Motorstorm was meant to be a PS3 launch title, delayed. Driveclub for PS4 launch. Delayed.

Seriously, Evolution studios is a B Tier Sony studio. They are not dependable for a AAA experience, nor sticking to their original
    launch time estimations. Hopefully a lot of people echo this sentiment, so that they read it and get their asses in gear out of dogged determination to prove critics wrong.

Valar Morghulis
    PSN ID
    SerinousTSE
    Items PS3 FatVitaPS3 Slim
    to be honest I could careless about drive club. not a racing game fan

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    Id rather buy the full retail version than get a gimped free one

Superior Member

PSN ID
    XSpike
    DC is like the only game we've seen improvements on since it was announced most others been getting downgraded, we also know they been targeting 60fps but it did seem coming up to launch it'll miss that target.. So hopefully it was for that & just more polishing & content for release
    Bow down before Drippy - Lord High Lord of the Fairies

Veteran
    DC got a lot of crap after having been shown so they decided to polish a lot more, which I don't mind. I just wish they were working on a next gen Motorstorm instead. (ala Motorstorm 2)

26. Likes GazzaGSi likes this post
    Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Kauldron View Post
    DC got a lot of crap after having been shown so they decided to polish a lot more, which I don't mind. I just wish they were working on a next gen Motorstorm instead. (ala Motorstorm 2)
    Would love a back to roots Motorstorm.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    Cathode
    Items LuluYunaDaft Punk
    One thing I see being failed to mention in this thread is that DC for PS+ was pitched as being prologue-esque version of the game with perhaps fewer tracks and online racing only.

I do think someone in the industry *could* be capable of using such ploys, I just don't think Sony would do it. They're too dependent on their core user base for them to do that.

What I'm asking myself is: why do I care? For what I'm concerned, PS+ has already paid itself off for next year!

Wishlist: Jade Cocoon Reboot, Oni Reboot, the next JRPG, Wasteland 2 [coming soon!]
    SotC 2, Fallout 4, next Obsidian Fallout, Project Eternity, Uncharted 4, Divinity [NEW!]
    [South Park: Stick of Truth is pure gaming bliss!]

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    chriharr
    Drive Club was scheduled to be released alongside PS4 but we got reso-gun and a few other indy titles as well as DC UNIVERSE online instead... now that PS4 is well and truly out there I highly doubt Drive Club will be coming to PS PLUS at all now... it never got confirmed as 100% coming to PS PLUS, it got announced as a free playable game with the PS4 as a part of the PS PLUS membership.

Now that many people have forgotten about it... Sony will more than likely just release it as a stand alone paid title and continue dishing out Indy stuff for a couple of years, it saves sony money in the long run... they won't gain anything by releasing Drive Club free as a PS PLUS title, it's gonna sell well anyway so they likely have little interest giving it away for free.

I highly doubt Drive Club is coming to PS PLUS for free, I can see a trial version and a nice reduced launch price, but I can't see it being a free PS PLUS title... sony changed their minds.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave-The-Rave View Post
    My only question is why did they replace it in the PS+ lineup with Contrast instead of one of their other disc titles!?
    BINGO there's something up and sony's not telling the whole story.
    " A Toll's a toll and a roll's a roll. If we don't get no toll's, then we don't eat no roll's"

Thread Information