Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

PS1 and PS2 Classics possibly coming

Backwards compatibility is coming to PlayStation 4, and PlayStation Now is only part of the story. A well-placed source working with Sony's streaming service reveals that only PlayStation 3 titles are currently scheduled to use the "gameplay over IP" cloud service. PS1 and PS2 titles are set to follow the more conventional route of running locally under emulation on Sony's latest console - but with the possibility of HD visual enhancements.

While Sony effectively phased out hardware emulation of previous platforms during the early stages of the PS3 era, it has worked consistently on opening up the PlayStation back catalogue to publishers via software emulation and PSN downloads. Internally, PlayStation 3's firmware contains emulators for PS1, PS2 and even the handheld PSP, while Vita is capable of running PS1 and Vita titles virtually flawlessly using the same technology. In short, there's a proven codebase that can only get better for the vastly more powerful PS4.

Our information suggests that the same internal emulator strategy is planned for PlayStation 4, and we understand that Sony is actively pursuing the ability for older titles to run without the blurry upscaling seen on PS3, suggesting that native HD resolutions are being targeted. Assuming this intention carries through to final code, we'll be seeing an effect similar to the resolution scaling seen on unofficial PC emulation of Sony's consoles, as well as a great many of the "HD remasters" we saw on PS3 - where original assets were rendered at a higher resolution, often without any actual remastering at all.

Sony's use of emulation as opposed to PlayStation Now streaming is an interesting decision - and the right one for enthusiast gamers. Running code locally provides a superior experience in terms of both input latency and image quality, and owing to the bandwidth requirements of continuous gameplay streaming, a single download could actually work out better economically for the platform holder. However, anything that can be run on PS3 can also operate on the PlayStation Now servers, so theoretically there is no technical reason why PS1, PS2 and PSP titles running on the existing, upscaling PS3 emulators couldn't be added to the streaming service should Sony see fit - though HD resolution scaling would most likely be off the table in those circumstances.
    Source

Hopefully not too far away, happy PS Now isn't the only option for these.
    Quote Originally Posted by fuzzyreactor
    Nothing more exciting than bringing home a brand new console and watching a download screen for a hour.

yay, next gen!

2. Likes D3seeker, GazzaGSi likes this post
    Racing Game Fanatic
    PSN ID
    gold106gti
    Items Title StyleVitaPS3 Slim
    This would be awesome, fingers crossed it actually happens!

Would be another notch on PS4's belt over the X1!
    PSN ID: gold106gti

Twitch ID: Duffman041986

Twitter ID: Duffman1986

Forum Guru
    Items Battlefield 3Assassins Creed EzioCoD: World at War
    Brilliant, thanks for the info. Interesting and exciting times coming

Veteran
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    What would be even better is if you could use your current PS1 and PS2 discs, that would be amazing if true because then I'll be able to play many of my older titles.

6. Likes D3seeker likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Quote Originally Posted by Varsh View Post
    What would be even better is if you could use your current PS1 and PS2 discs, that would be amazing if true because then I'll be able to play many of my older titles.
    Agreed but in the case of PS1 I've replaced half of my discs with the digital versions now mainly because I can play them on the go. They took up so much room and I'll probably end up doing the same with my PS2 discs if they get the PS2 emulator on Vita eventually. Only keep the discs that don't have digital versions.
    Nothing more exciting than bringing home a brand new console and watching a download screen for a hour.

yay, next gen!

Forum Guru
    Items Battlefield 3Assassins Creed EzioCoD: World at War
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronSOLDIER View Post
    Agreed but in the case of PS1 I've replaced half of my discs with the digital versions now mainly because I can play them on the go. They took up so much room and I'll probably end up doing the same with my PS2 discs if they get the PS2 emulator on Vita eventually. Only keep the discs that don't have digital versions.
    Man I'd love some SSX Tricky on my Vita

Salvator Mundi
    PSN ID
    gersfc
    Items Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVAtlusTidusAuronFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VII
    The possibility of HD touch ups to ps1 and ps2 games sounds good to me! I Also agree with Aaron that a alternative to ps now is a good thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PSN ID: gersfc

Twitter ID: gersfc87

Super Elite
    This is sweet. Glad I still have my ps2 disc games.

It will be fun for nostalgia purposes. Getting the HD touch up should be helpful since we game on bigger tv now

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Cathode
    Items LuluYunaDaft Punk
    PS1 and PS2 Classics possibly coming
    This is regarding emulation, right? So not just the classics em' I right?

Wishlist: inFAMOUS, SotC 2, Jade Cocoon Reboot, Oni Reboot, the next JRPG, Wasteland 2, next Obsidian Fallout, Fallout 4, Project Eternity, ND's PS4 game
    [South Park: Stick of Truth is pure gaming bliss!]

Home Theater Guru
    Items Dark SoulsDemons Souls CoverDark Souls Cover
    This is not an alternative to Playstation Now. The latter concentrates on PS3 games while this news touches on the possibility of PS1 and PS2 games being emulated. So you'll still have to make use of both services if you want the full experience.
    Last edited by Wrath; 01-28-2014 at 21:36.

Super Elite
    It's great they are going to give this to us. I didn't expect it so it's a bonus

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Veteran
    Too bad they won't allow disc-based emulation, but they gotta make sure everyone rebuys. At least the PS1 games can be playable on Vita, too, unlike Nintendo's VC where you have to buy the same game twice to use it on 3ds... Or, at least, that's my understanding based on what people have said. Correct me if I'm wrong (I don't own either one, but a unified VC with no discrepancy in titles would push me toward buying one of each)

Super Elite
    No disc based? Your probably right, I wasn't thinking. That would stink.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

PSN ID
    sayyestoweed
    cool stuff i hope this is true

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Quote Originally Posted by K2D View Post
    This is regarding emulation, right? So not just the classics em' I right?
    The Classics that are on PSN that you can already download for PS3 with no alterations besides Vice City, not remasters/collections etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrath View Post
    This is not an alternative to Playstation Now. The latter concentrates on PS3 games while this news touches on the possibility of PS1 and PS2 games being emulated. So you'll still have to make use of both services if you want the full experience.
    It's an alternative for PS1 and PS2 games which is what I said. For PS3 you'll still need PS Now.

yay, next gen!

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    Id also just rather play the disks. Hell, I have old consoles for that. I didn't but a $550 AUD console to play ps1 and ps2 games

PS4/PS3/X360/WiiU/PC/3DS/PSV

Master Sage
    About take advantage of the recent sales and go on a Final Fantasy buying spree for my Vita so would be great if these were also compatible with the PS4.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Cathode
    Items LuluYunaDaft Punk
    The Classics that are on PSN that you can already download for PS3 with no alterations besides Vice City, not remasters/collections etc.
    Ah, sorry, my bad

Now that I think about it, the PS4 can't read cd's so that rules out any PS1 disc based emulation on the PS4. Honestly, I'd rather by new portable games than to pay a second time for my old games. If I really have to, I could always fire up an emulator on the PC.

Wishlist: inFAMOUS, SotC 2, Jade Cocoon Reboot, Oni Reboot, the next JRPG, Wasteland 2, next Obsidian Fallout, Fallout 4, Project Eternity, ND's PS4 game
    [South Park: Stick of Truth is pure gaming bliss!]

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkVincent07 View Post
    Id also just rather play the disks. Hell, I have old consoles for that. I didn't but a $550 AUD console to play ps1 and ps2 games
    It's a pain in the ass to keep all those old consoles around, particularly when you have updates like virtual memory cards and wireless controllers (that use LIon batteries and charge with USB).

Remember kiddies - Your situation is not everyone's situation. They can't accommodate everyone, but it's a good step to accommodate those they can rather than just say they don't matter.

22. Likes AaronSOLDIER likes this post
    Superior Member
    Which is the best pc emulator for ps1 and ps2 games? For ps1, i used to use psexe, i don't know what's best to use for ps2. I would also like a pc emulator for the original xbox (many og xbox games i'd like to go back and play), but i don't think an emulator for the original xbox is even available is there?

And btw for the ps classics currently offered by sony on the psn store, there are so many classics that i want that are not listed.

Ultimate Veteran
    Items DreamcastPlayStationNintendoBullyGTA ClaudeFinal Fantasy IX
    Quote Originally Posted by bobtheduck View Post
    Too bad they won't allow disc-based emulation, but they gotta make sure everyone rebuys. At least the PS1 games can be playable on Vita, too, unlike Nintendo's VC where you have to buy the same game twice to use it on 3ds... Or, at least, that's my understanding based on what people have said. Correct me if I'm wrong (I don't own either one, but a unified VC with no discrepancy in titles would push me toward buying one of each)
    I own a 3DS XL but not a Wii U. Nintendo doesn't offer the same Virtual Console titles on both stores though. They only unified the eShop accounts.

I'm guessing if they do unify their Virtual Console catalogue, and you have a Wii U with say, Earthbound or Super Metroid, you'll probably only need to click to download rather than purchase again on the 3DS.

3DS Friend Code: 1349-4916-2054

Ultimate Veteran
    IGN is running the story as well.

ca.ign.com/articles/2014/01/28/playstation-4-rumored-to-be-getting-ps1ps2-game-emulation

I think where there is smoke, there is fire. This is really good news if true!
    Who would have thought building a solid product that serves your customer's needs would beat out money, marketing, hype, and greed.

Racing Game Fanatic
    PSN ID
    gold106gti
    Items Title StyleVitaPS3 Slim
    I don't see why this couldn't be done, will just have to wait to hear a direct word from Sony before getting too excited!
    PSN ID: gold106gti

Twitch ID: Duffman041986

Twitter ID: Duffman1986

Valar Morghulis
    PSN ID
    SerinousTSE
    Items PS3 FatVitaPS3 Slim
    if true, this is gonna be like an app making it able to read ps1 and ps2 disc? if not, just put it on PSNow as part of the library

Veteran
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Quote Originally Posted by rene2kx View Post
    Which is the best pc emulator for ps1 and ps2 games? For ps1, i used to use psexe, i don't know what's best to use for ps2. I would also like a pc emulator for the original xbox (many og xbox games i'd like to go back and play), but i don't think an emulator for the original xbox is even available is there?

And btw for the ps classics currently offered by sony on the psn store, there are so many classics that i want that are not listed.
    I use ePSXe for PS1 games and PCSX2 for PS2 games.

Thread Information