PSN ID
    MortisMelis

Who was looking forward to Thief...

When this game was first announced I must admit I got a little moist with excitement, however with each preview video it's looking less like the game I remember. I remember playing Thief: The metal age, and being in awe of the free world that was there for me to plunder as I saw fit! The expression of freedom and also how Garratt was just a normal man, no special abilities, having to rely on the shadows....

Now looking at the previews it looks like they've taken your freedom of choice, it looks more like an on rails shooter like COD...

It feels a bit like going to a school reunion and seeing the fittest girl turn in to a fattie....it seems to be ultimately disappointing! Has anyone else felt like this about any games?
    Last edited by MortisMelis; 01-30-2014 at 01:27.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Me (as in, I'm definitely looking forward to it).

I was not a Thief original - so old-school players might see a turd, but someone like me, who's into stealth and action games in general sees a diamond in the rough.

TBH, it probably isn't a bad or even mediocre game - I would say it's closer to being 'good'. Maybe instead of Thief-faithfuls saying it's crap or the like, maybe a more accurate opinion would be "they shouldn't call it a 'Thief' game".

Also, I have uleerior motives =- reading the previews on GameInformer, there's more slew of Multiplayer hybrid games like Evolve and The Divsion, more so than traditional SP games like this. If we can keep sales up of these type of games, we can ensure their longevity.

I'm not keen on MP-only/focused games dominating the genres. If so, I'm quitting gaming/sticking to sports games...

#IndieStation4 and proud of it.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    I'm looking forward to Thief as well. Day one purchase.

Valar Morghulis
    PSN ID
    SerinousTSE
    Items PS3 FatVitaPS3 Slim
    I'm looking forward to it because of its emphasis on stealth, which I love.

Miqo'te Bard
    Items New User TitleProtect yourselfFull Metal AlchemistFangDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverBattlefield 3Title StyleUser name style
    I am waiting to see if it is worth the price tag. I read a while ago you can complete the entire game with out killing anyone which is very cool(MG5 apparently follows this as well). But if the gameplay is anything less than 20 hours, including "treasure hunts" and not counting bull$#@! trophies(kill x with y while p 700 times, or worse multiplayer that count towards platinum), then it is a pass till $20 or free with PS+.
    I have twitter to https://twitter.com/GamerYuichi , Also started youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMu7yRGCz8QrTyxaNVR3Tqw I don't always twitch, but when I can you can find my noobness http://www.twitch.tv/yuichimccry,

Valar Morghulis
    PSN ID
    SerinousTSE
    Items PS3 FatVitaPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Yuuichi View Post
    I am waiting to see if it is worth the price tag. I read a while ago you can complete the entire game with out killing anyone which is very cool(MG5 apparently follows this as well). But if the gameplay is anything less than 20 hours, including "treasure hunts" and not counting bull$#@! trophies(kill x with y while p 700 times, or worse multiplayer that count towards platinum), then it is a pass till $20 or free with PS+.
    Yeh i hate multiplayer trophies as well.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    SomaXD
    Items PhotoShopPhotoshopAssassins Creed EzioKillzone 3Guerrilla GamesNaughty DogRaidenNoctisiPhone BlackVitaDeath NoteFinal Fantasy VII
    Never played the original games... but i think this game looks hype as $#@!! im really excited for it... it feels like it has a Dishonored vibe which is $#@!ing rad.
    Vanik Tetsu'ya
    PS4 500GB//PS3 MGS4 80GB//PS3 120GB Slim//360 250GB Slim//360 4GB Slim w/Kinect//Black Wii 4.3u softmod//PS Vita w/32gb card

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Sir_Scud
    Items Naughty DogFinal Fantasy IVDark SoulsGuerrilla Games
    My friend introduced me to the original Thief game, thought it was pretty sweet. I'm keeping my eye on this, always like games that truly focus on stealth. However, what I liked most about the original thief game was the roaming around and not being some cookie cutter go down this path approach.

PSU Live Streamer
    I'm looking forward to this game. Never played the previous ones. But I love me stealth games. So I'm totally getting this one

Come find me on Twitch.tv!

Apprentice
    Items Scarlett JohanssonGuerrilla GamesDice
    Looks fun, I'm picking it up.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by shepard View Post
    I'm looking forward to this game. Never played the previous ones. But I love me stealth games. So I'm totally getting this one
    I've played Thief Deadly Shadows on PC which I really enjoyed. This game has a similar vibe to it from what I've seen.

Superior Member
    TC, I disagree. I saw a recent video of some gameplay with commentary and it looks as though you have quite a bit of freedom of movement and choice. There will be more than one way of tackling a mission, and not to mention the focus isn't on combat but on subtlety. Arrows and things should also be scarce so it isn't wise to engage in combat anyway.

Looks like a really cool game and I can't wait for it. Should tide me over until Dark Souls II.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Dude-in-the-Room
    Items Led ZeppelinDreamcastDead NationArnold SchwarzneggerUser name style
    I'm going to wait and see what ppl say before I buy...but I'm still kinda excited about it.

Racing Game Fanatic
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    Items Title StyleVitaPS3 Slim
    Never played a Thief game but I must admit I do like the look of this one so I will still be picking it up!
    PSN ID: Duffman19864

Twitter ID: Duffman1986

My New Youtube Gaming Channel: Duffman Gaming

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    LordVenger
    Items User name style
    I saw something, probably on Game Informer or maybe IGN that said part of the competitive side of the game is getting scores for everything you do. But the interesting idea was the more penalties you give yourself the more score modifier you get. You can turn off huge amounts of the game's assists and powers to make the game harder and get more points. It sounded like you could set it so that one hit would kill you, any alert might end a round, you could turn off mission guides and so have to find everything yourself, which also meant you could go into other buildings than just your final target.

16. Likes Admartian likes this post

PSN ID
    MortisMelis
    Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    I saw something, probably on Game Informer or maybe IGN that said part of the competitive side of the game is getting scores for everything you do. But the interesting idea was the more penalties you give yourself the more score modifier you get. You can turn off huge amounts of the game's assists and powers to make the game harder and get more points. It sounded like you could set it so that one hit would kill you, any alert might end a round, you could turn off mission guides and so have to find everything yourself, which also meant you could go into other buildings than just your final target.
    If this is true then it might bring back my enthusiasm for the game... I actually found my copy of thief after a little jigging about got it running..... Ahhhh the memories

Now I think someone should bring back mech warrior....

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by MortisMelis View Post
    When this game was first announced I must admit I got a little moist with excitement, however with each preview video it's looking less like the game I remember. I remember playing Thief: The metal age, and being in awe of the free world that was there for me to plunder as I saw fit! The expression of freedom and also how Garratt was just a normal man, no special abilities, having to rely on the shadows....

Now looking at the previews it looks like they've taken your freedom of choice, it looks more like an on rails shooter like COD...

It feels a bit like going to a school reunion and seeing the fittest girl turn in to a fattie....it seems to be ultimately disappointing! Has anyone else felt like this about any games?
    I can see your point on this matter. I'm also hoping it's more open and not linear. If it's a linear experience I think I will pass on this game.
    Last edited by Demi_God; 01-31-2014 at 15:22.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    HermesTheGod
    Loved the trailers, but I'm gonna give it a wait to see if it's worth it.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Syphon_Filter
    Items User name styleinFamousPSN LogoBattlefield 3NvidiaSteamPS3 SlimVita
Gift received at 01-31-2013 from Metal King SlimeColeBattlefield 3
    I have 80 dollars at Ebgames and not sure to get it or not. My friend is telling me to wait and I think the game will be short.

CPU: I7 3820--GPU: Asus Gtx 670 2GB--Motherboard: BioStar TpowerX79--HDD: Seagate 2TB--CPU COOLING: Corsair Hydro H80--Case: CoolerMaster RC932 Haf--RAM: 16GB 1333 DDR3 Corsair--Sony Dvd X18 Player: Power Supply: Seasonic 760W--Windows 7 64Bit, Monitor: HP Led 2311X--TV: Samsung LED TV 120HZ Un40d6000--PS3 Super Slim 1TB HDD--PS3 Slim 750GB--PS VITA 32GB.

Forum Guru
    Not anymore, lost interest due to previews.
    'no, no one in their sane mind uses OpenGL on PS3' - Repi
    'nope, PS3 uses a wonderful low-level API called libgcm' - Repi

Superior Member
    Items YunaPlayStation
    As new games on PS4 this first months are scarce (yeah I know it's just the way it is) I saw Thief released in february and thought it would make me wait for the later games. Then I read some previews that movement is not well handled as you can't jump, you can climb many things but some others you can't but not in a logical way. Then you have to steal, steal and steal again to get better at everything. Pickpocketing is a thing I just hate and going into other people's houses can be done in a variety of other games so it's not an interesting thing in itself. Being used to Assassin's creed and Infamous, preventing parkour seems like a big mistake.
    I think I'll pass until I find a review making the good points of this game clear.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style
    yea, I may hold off on the preorder of this title and wait for a youtube review.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    JDizzleNO1
    Items Diablo IIIMetallicaUser name styleDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverPS3 Fat
    to be honest i never played thief and haven't been paying attention to this one, maybe if there is a demo out i'll try it out

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    HermesTheGod
    Hoping for a demo as well.

Thread Information